LakersGround.net To Go | Off Topic

Role Models

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Role Models 
Author: LALdynasty! 
Posted: 12/14 12:01 PM 

Being a huge sports fan when I was a kid I always looked up to athletes and in my mind they were as great as superheros. I watched them on TV and immediately after watching would go outside to imitate each move they made.

I have always been a Lakers fan and because of that looked up to Shaq and Kobe. I remember when I was probably around 8 years old or so writing a letter to Shaq asking him to come to my birthday party. I sent it to the address on the back of his poster from Sports Illustrated for Kids. I actually got a postcard back from "Shaq" saying something about a Shaq birthday thing. I don't remember exactly. Anyways, there was no one I would have rather met than Shaquille O'Neal.

Looking back now I wish I would have looked up to someone else. I don't know who, but someone else. Sure Shaq and Kobe are/were amazing players, some of the greatest players ever. And sure, when playing basketball I still try to play like them, albeit terribly, but are these the type of people I want to have as role models? Are these men who set an example of integrity for the kids looking up to them? Are they men who do the right thing not only when people are looking, but also when they are not? The track record isn't great.

Ask for it or not athletes, actors, musicians, etc. in the spotlight are looked up to by kids and have an ascribed responsibility to act in a way that leads a good example. Of course, they most definitely have the choice to take on that responsibility or to completely blow it off. I'm not saying that because I looked up to athletes as my role models I now do the same things they do. I was lucky to be surrounded by some great role models in my family and community that have helped me become the person I am today and helped me choose what kind of value's I want to hold on to. I was lucky. Not everyone comes from a family like mine. Not all boys and girls have fathers or even mothers that choose to stick around. Or maybe they stuck around, but decided to abuse them or neglect them. With these cases, guys like Shaq and Kobe become all the more important to the kids looking up to them.

It seems like the media spends a heck of a lot of time focusing on people who don't deserve the attention they are getting and far little time focusing on those trying their best to be a role model. I've looked up to Tiger Woods for a long time as was shocked to hear about him cheating on his wife with several women. Even Tiger, an athlete who has always been pegged as a "good" guy, let everyone down.

So who can kids look up to? Set aside pastors, teachers, parents, coaches, etc. and try to think about the people kids see as superheros when they are young. Who deserves the attention? Whose poster should be hanging on the wall of kids today? It really is harder than it should be to think of one. Try to think of a player/actor/musician at the top of their game/craft.

Author: rchanou 
Posted: 12/14 2:11 PM 

You should look up to people for certain qualities, but you have to realize nobody, and I mean nobody, is perfect. Even President Obama is frowned upon because he smokes, does that make him less of a good guy? No.

Kobe is a good role model because he displays good work ethic and discipline.

Does the media focus on people who don't deserve the attention? Of course, but they wouldn't make money if people didn't pay attention to that sort of fluff.

Are celebrities unfairly put under a microscope and Big Brother-like lifestyle? Yes, but that comes with the territory of being famous. The media today is always ready to knock you down; with the advent of the 24 hour news channels, TMZ, and cellphone cameras your every move can be watched.

Author: TACH 
Posted: 12/14 4:29 PM 

When I was younger I told my Dad I wanted to be be like Magic Johnson. In my mind he had it all... he was one of the best bball player ever. He was rich. He could drive any car he wanted. Get any girl he wanted. Etc. My Dad then asked me, you want to be like Magic, but what if Magic wasn't a nice person in real life? I was like 'huh'... he seemed like a great guy to me. Then he said 'based on what, because he can play a GAME really really well, what else do you know about him... is really a nice person, etc.?'

That when it dawned on me, I didn't know Magic, except that he was a really good bball player. My Dad went on to tell me he puts in pants on one leg at a time like me and you, etc. He also said there are qualities in people you may admire, but remember they puts in pants on one leg at a time like me and you... its okay to look to people for motivation and inspiration, but be your own man, don't try to act like some because they can sing, good at a sport, etc.... that nobody is perfect. There was obviously more to this conversation, more details I'm leaving out.

When Magic announced he was retiring from bball and why, I remembered that conversation with my Dad. That conversation is probably why I've only owned one jersey in my life (Bo Jackson Raider's 34), hard to be your own man wearing somebody else name on your back (something else my Pops said during the conversation).

Re: Role Models 
Author: venturalakersfan 
Posted: 12/14 5:54 PM 

LALdynasty! wrote:
Being a huge sports fan when I was a kid I always looked up to athletes and in my mind they were as great as superheros. I watched them on TV and immediately after watching would go outside to imitate each move they made.

I have always been a Lakers fan and because of that looked up to Shaq and Kobe. I remember when I was probably around 8 years old or so writing a letter to Shaq asking him to come to my birthday party. I sent it to the address on the back of his poster from Sports Illustrated for Kids. I actually got a postcard back from "Shaq" saying something about a Shaq birthday thing. I don't remember exactly. Anyways, there was no one I would have rather met than Shaquille O'Neal.

Looking back now I wish I would have looked up to someone else. I don't know who, but someone else. Sure Shaq and Kobe are/were amazing players, some of the greatest players ever. And sure, when playing basketball I still try to play like them, albeit terribly, but are these the type of people I want to have as role models? Are these men who set an example of integrity for the kids looking up to them? Are they men who do the right thing not only when people are looking, but also when they are not? The track record isn't great.

Ask for it or not athletes, actors, musicians, etc. in the spotlight are looked up to by kids and have an ascribed responsibility to act in a way that leads a good example. Of course, they most definitely have the choice to take on that responsibility or to completely blow it off. I'm not saying that because I looked up to athletes as my role models I now do the same things they do. I was lucky to be surrounded by some great role models in my family and community that have helped me become the person I am today and helped me choose what kind of value's I want to hold on to. I was lucky. Not everyone comes from a family like mine. Not all boys and girls have fathers or even mothers that choose to stick around. Or maybe they stuck around, but decided to abuse them or neglect them. With these cases, guys like Shaq and Kobe become all the more important to the kids looking up to them.

It seems like the media spends a heck of a lot of time focusing on people who don't deserve the attention they are getting and far little time focusing on those trying their best to be a role model. I've looked up to Tiger Woods for a long time as was shocked to hear about him cheating on his wife with several women. Even Tiger, an athlete who has always been pegged as a "good" guy, let everyone down.

So who can kids look up to? Set aside pastors, teachers, parents, coaches, etc. and try to think about the people kids see as superheros when they are young. Who deserves the attention? Whose poster should be hanging on the wall of kids today? It really is harder than it should be to think of one. Try to think of a player/actor/musician at the top of their game/craft.

As a parent, the correct answer would be no one. As Tiger has shown, you never know. Albert Pujols and Kurt Warner are two athletes who have not have incidents or questions about their personal lives, but then again, neither did Tiger.

Role models start at home, the less people look up to entertainers the better the world will be.

Posted: 12/14 5:55 PM 

rchanou wrote:
You should look up to people for certain qualities, but you have to realize nobody, and I mean nobody, is perfect. Even President Obama is frowned upon because he smokes, does that make him less of a good guy? No.

Does the media focus on people who don't deserve the attention? Of course, but they wouldn't make money if people didn't pay attention to that sort of fluff.

Are celebrities unfairly put under a microscope and Big Brother-like lifestyle? Yes, but that comes with the territory of being famous. The media today is always ready to knock you down; with the advent of the 24 hour news channels, TMZ, and cellphone cameras your every move can be watched.

He isn't when you have your kid ask you, why did Kobe hurt that girl?

Posted: 12/14 5:56 PM 

TACH wrote:
When I was younger I told my Dad I wanted to be be like Magic Johnson. In my mind he had it all... he was one of the best bball player ever. He was rich. He could drive any car he wanted. Get any girl he wanted. Etc. My Dad then asked me, you want to be like Magic, but what if Magic wasn't a nice person in real life? I was like 'huh'... he seemed like a great guy to me. Then he said 'based on what, because he can play a GAME really really well, what else do you know about him... is really a nice person, etc.?'

That when it dawned on me, I didn't know Magic, except that he was a really good bball player. My Dad went on to tell me he puts in pants on one leg at a time like me and you, etc. He also said there are qualities in people you may admire, but remember they puts in pants on one leg at a time like me and you... its okay to look to people for motivation and inspiration, but be your own man, don't try to act like some because they can sing, good at a sport, etc.... that nobody is perfect. There was obviously more to this conversation, more details I'm leaving out.

When Magic announced he was retiring from bball and why, I remembered that conversation with my Dad. That conversation is probably why I've only owned one jersey in my life (Bo Jackson Raider's 34), hard to be your own man wearing somebody else name on your back (something else my Pops said during the conversation).

Your pops was a smart man. The kind of guy that I hope you looked up to as a role model.

Author: LakerFan4L 
Posted: 12/14 6:07 PM 

I grew up playing football since I was a little kid, so I always idolized football players more than I did anyone else. Being a Bucs fan my whole life, John Lynch, Hardy Nickerson, and Derrick Brooks are easily the biggest sports idols for me.

I will admit that in middle school and early high school I was a HUGE Keyshawn Johnson fan though..

Author: TACH 
Posted: 12/14 6:10 PM 

venturalakersfan wrote:
TACH wrote:

Your pops was a smart man. The kind of guy that I hope you looked up to as a role model.
I did when I was younger... but like all people, my Pops has his flaws... in that sense, I learn what not to be like from him as well. Both the positive and negative have helped me be a better father...

Author: Fan0Bynum17 
Posted: 12/14 6:45 PM 

Wayne Gretzky.

Seriously though, there really is no reason to believe that athletes are any different people than anyone else. I wouldn't recommend looking up to anyone at all. Once you get it in your mind that you need some kind of ultimate source to draw inspiration for behavior or knowledge from, then you limit yourself in so many ways. People need to rely on themselves to figure out what they should think and how they should behave, so they'll actually understand why they think/do certain things and in turn understand themselves better, and make themselves more self-sufficient. People need to stop needing to look at people like gods, all you are ever going to find out is that they're just as full of (bleep) as anyone else, providing you're looking hard enough. I don't care if they're your parents or your priests. People need to decide for themselves what is good and what is right, and then learn to inspire themselves to be that. It's an invaluable skill to learn because you are always going to be there for yourself. Other people? Not always.

Anyone who actually looked towards Tiger to be some role model for themself and is now seriously disappointed/hurt then they deserve exactly what they feel, and I hope they actually place the disappointment and anger towards themselves, because that's exactly where it belongs. Also, if they really looked towards Tiger as a role model and are now disappointed then they really didn't need to look towards him as a role model because they obviously had an idea of how to behave that isn't derived from Tiger based simply on the fact that they're disappointed in his behavior. So many people like to think they're ill-equipped to decide how to behave, yet they all have their moral code they use to decide who/what to place their faith in. Skip the middle man and just derive your behavior from your moral code.

I understand that people need to take inspiration from people for proof that certain things can be done. That's great, but once they start to think of individuals as ultimate role models, all they are doing is limiting their ability to motivate themselves, and are setting themselves up to be completely discouraged once their role model says or does something that doesn't live up to the impossible expectations they have for them.

Author: Sportsmuze 
Posted: 12/14 7:37 PM 

I really dont understand the whole Role Model thing....

When I was a kid I just watched sports, liked the athletes for their field performance...

Why would you pick a role model? All humans are flawed... As a kid I watched everybody, and everyones reactions to everybodys behavior, and figured out whats right and wrong.

I really dont understand this tag, or choosing a specific person to be a role model type thing...

Author: Megatron24 
Posted: 12/14 8:03 PM 

venturalakersfan wrote:
rchanou wrote:

still trying your hardest to bash Kobe i see.

Author: SP_Fever 
Posted: 12/14 8:07 PM 

the greatest role models are your parents - well, that's if they're good parents

Posted: 12/14 9:41 PM 

Megatron24 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
rchanou wrote:

still trying your hardest to bash Kobe i see.

Um, you answer your child truthfully, he didn't, people were confused and thought he did.

How hard was that?

Author: ComputerBlue 
Posted: 12/14 9:47 PM 

Iwatch4Kobe wrote:

When I was a kid I just watched sports, liked the athletes for their field performance...

Why would you pick a role model? All humans are flawed... As a kid I watched everybody, and everyones reactions to everybodys behavior, and figured out whats right and wrong.

I really dont understand this tag, or choosing a specific person to be a role model type thing...

tisk tisk, thats not what your user name would imply...

Posted: 12/14 9:56 PM 

ComputerBlue wrote:
Iwatch4Kobe wrote:

tisk tisk, thats not what your user name would imply...

I dont see Kobe as a role model, I see him as an artist, and as a philosophical experiment. Thats why I watch him. Kobe is basketball's genius, and watching him play the sport of basketball is enlightening in regards accomplishment of a single mind/body entity.

I live my life based on philosophical study/along with observing human behavior now. Nowhere in there do I pick and choose who to listen to/emulate.

All humans are teachers, all humans are students.

Author: Moses 
Posted: 12/14 11:01 PM 

My celebrity role models are as follows:

LaDainian Tomlinson - You can have all the talent in the world but it doesn't make you a good person necessarily, so i guess i admire his humility and nice guy personality, well that and him being on the way to becoming the G.O.A.T.

Tupac Shakur - Yeah maybe I don't wanna follow all of his footsteps, but one can certainly admire his honesty, courage and depth of lyrical content that delivered deep and lasting messages to his fans across the world.

Magic - A great player of course, but what i admire most about him is that he manages to smile so much despite the adversity he has faced with illness. It sends a great message to people that a positive outlook can be so important in life, i don't know a lot of people who'd have the strength to build such great businesses all while keeping a smile on their face after finding out they had HIV.

Author: postandpivot 
Posted: 12/14 11:46 PM 

venturalakersfan wrote:
rchanou wrote:

well how about telling your kid. he didn't hurt that girl. tell your kid how to watch out for gold diggers. and how not to get into those situations. which is why waiting for marriage is best.

now if your kid asks you why did kobe upset his wife. break it down to him.

for you to think KB cant be a role model because of one huge messup. is ridiculous.

one thing he has done that most or no other pro athletes have ever done is apologize to his wife and family/friends/fans on National Television. that press conference was for us. but it was for his WIFE. he made her look bad in public. so he apologized in public. now thats something to model yourself after. modeling yourself after people who you think never mess up is foolish. because the moment they do. you will be devastated. everyone messes up at some point. your child needs to know how to get back up. you have to look at kobe as a get back up story. notice how his wife is always in that tunnel now. i dont recall her being there pre colorado. not like that. remember he use to hide her from the media (which i could understand why). but now she's there waiting on him every chance she gets. because he probably asked her to. in order to keep him straight and out of trouble. so he can be constantly reminded whats this for. its for his family. a role model, falls, then gets back up again.

Author: slippy 
Posted: 12/15 12:05 AM 

TACH wrote:

Yup, went through that too with Magic. Being a sports fan is fun . . . and that's about it. Sports is a great way to kill time, when I probably should be doing something else.

Author: CandyCanes 
Posted: 12/15 2:09 AM 

I've always admired Kobe's work ethic.

When I was younger, I used to kind of try to imitate anime characters quite a bit. (Basically, all the cool, non-chalant people that always seemed one step ahead. (Kudo, Sasuke, Kakashi, Mustang.)

Author: Statcat 
Posted: 12/15 2:19 AM 

venturalakersfan wrote:
rchanou wrote:

I would be interested to know how you answered that question.

Author: LALdynasty! 
Posted: 12/15 5:25 AM 

Hey guys, when I wrote that I wish I had picked a different role model, I didn't mean that I think Shaq and Kobe are horrible people who are expected to be perfect. I didn't mean for this thread to point out the flaws of Kobe and Shaq. I made the thread to find alternate people in the spotlight today who would be good choices for kids today to look up to.

I understand that when you look up to someone you can't see them as perfect and you have to understand that all people make mistakes. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't have role models. Kids are going to look up to people in the spotlight no matter what. They look up to those people because they see them as someone who achieved something great and by looking up to them and seeing how they live and how they got to where they are, it gives them hope that maybe they could achieve something great as well. Maybe not even in the same field.

I feel that I can still look up to Kobe despite his faults. He is a great example of determination and hard work. If that is one thing I can take from looking up to him then great.

I just wish more credit was given to the guys in the spotlight who strive to be someone that kids can look up to and say I want to be like him. I think a great example of this is John Wooden. I'm sure he made many mistakes in his life, but overall John Wooden is a man that lived a life of integrity and spent much of his life sharing his values with others while walking the walk. There are not many John Wooden's.

I'm just looking for a few guys maybe a bit younger.

Author: Fan0Bynum17 
Posted: 12/15 5:30 AM 

LALdynasty! wrote:
Hey guys, when I wrote that I wish I had picked a different role model, I didn't mean that I think Shaq and Kobe are horrible people who are expected to be perfect. I didn't mean for this thread to point out the flaws of Kobe and Shaq. I made the thread to find alternate people in the spotlight today who would be good choices for kids today to look up to.

I understand that when you look up to someone you can't see them as perfect and you have to understand that all people make mistakes. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't have role models. Kids are going to look up to people in the spotlight no matter what. They look up to those people because they see them as someone who achieved something great and by looking up to them and seeing how they live and how they got to where they are, it gives them hope that maybe they could achieve something great as well. Maybe not even in the same field.

I feel that I can still look up to Kobe despite his faults. He is a great example of determination and hard work. If that is one thing I can take from looking up to him then great.

I just wish more credit was given to the guys in the spotlight who strive to be someone that kids can look up to and say I want to be like him. I think a great example of this is John Wooden. I'm sure he made many mistakes in his life, but overall John Wooden is a man that lived a life of integrity and spent much of his life sharing his values with others while walking the walk. There are not many John Wooden's.

I'm just looking for a few guys maybe a bit younger.

Be yourself.

Author: DaMuleRules 
Posted: 12/15 5:31 AM 

venturalakersfan wrote:
rchanou wrote:

This when YOU as a PARENT have to be a role model YOURSELF and skip past your own biases etc. and explain that Kobe DIDN'T because it was never actually (even remotely) demonstrated that he actually DID hurt her or that she wasn't a willing participant in what took place with him.

Kobe isn't the problem in that situation, how you handle it is. From past experience, my guess is that Kobe is more of a role model than you are in that regard.

Author: CandyCanes 
Posted: 12/15 5:33 AM 

^
Personally, I would have started reading To Kill a Mockingbird to him to show the racial injustices that can occur in redneck states.

Author: DaMuleRules 
Posted: 12/15 5:43 AM 

rchanou wrote:
You should look up to people for certain qualities, but you have to realize nobody, and I mean nobody, is perfect.

That's why it is important that one doesn't take personalities and make them role models. Not celebrities, politicans, athletes or even family members.

No one has nailed al the qualities that one should aspire to.

That's why role models are a waste of time.

One needs to focus and qualities and actions that are commendable in a person rather than focus on the person themselves.

Grab values and ideals from people who you become aware of in life and leave the personas out of it. There are no role models in life because we are all just people - and all have their own failures and vices.

Forming a conscience and character is not based on profiling individuals. It's based on a formulation of values by watching individuals interacting with the society at large.

Pick a role model and at some point you likely get disillusioned.

Build some values based on what you see in the world around you will be much better off. After all, it's not about individuals - it's about community in the long run. Be it at home, school, work, or life.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

LakersGround.net To Go | Off Topic