LakersGround.net To Go | General Basketball Discussion

Jeremy Lin Expected Lakers To Draft Him In 2010

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jeremy Lin Expected Lakers To Draft Him In 2010 
Author: Lakerfan 4 Life 
Posted: 02/11 8:16 AM 

Quote:
Lakers coach Mike Brown mentioned before facing Jeremy Lin and the Knicks on Friday night amid the Lin-sanity phenomenon how fond Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak was of Lin’s game and that the Lakers did discuss signing Lin when he was available earlier this season.

There’s more, though.

Lin could’ve been a Laker long before that. In fact, when the Lakers were drafting 58th overall in the 2010 draft, Lin’s family was given reason to believe he would be their guy. Instead, the Lakers used that pick to draft power forward Derrick Caracter, whom they gave up on Tuesday – waiving Caracter right in the midst of Lin-sanity.

The Lakers remained in the running to sign Lin as an undrafted free agent, even though he didn’t seem a natural fit for the triangle offense under Phil Jackson, but he wound up getting a partially guaranteed contract from the Golden State Warriors after showing impressive tenacity in a stunning head-to-head battle with top overall pick John Wall in the Las Vegas summer league.

The Lakers earlier drafted Devin Ebanks in the 2010 second round with the 41st pick; Ebanks remains a prospect who began the season as the starting small forward but soon fell entirely out of the playing rotation behind Metta World Peace and Matt Barnes.

About early this season, when Lin was waived by Golden State and also Houston, Brown said it was a very preliminary discussion that he was having when Kupchak asked Brown about Lin.

“We brought up a million names,” Brown said.

The Lakers already had drafted a point guard in Darius Morris and then a combo guard in Andrew Goudelock, both 2011 second-rounders. Morris was a bust trying to fill in for injured Steve Blake this season, but Goudelock gave the Lakers some scoring spark despite never playing point guard before.

Brown drew a comparison between the undrafted Lin and Goudelock, who lasted until the No. 46 overall pick, saying both were slighted in some ways. Brown also revealed that he came very close to cutting Goudelock at one point early this season.

http://lakers.ocregister.com/2012/02/10/jeremy-lin-expected-lakers-to-draft-him-in-2010/69197/#more-69197

Author: chantruong 
Posted: 02/11 8:17 AM 

Author: ucntgrd24 
Posted: 02/11 8:18 AM 

could've sworn I read an article earlier that said he expected NY to take him, can we just put X team in his expectation list kinda how we put X player on the Lakers' supposed interest?

Author: Runway8 
Posted: 02/11 8:29 AM 

If you liked him, why didn't you GO FOR IT? Prime example of Lakers complacency with Fisher. Unless it's an obvious super star like CP3, Lakers will half-azz, trot, take their time with everybody else. THe dilemma they have is what to do with Fisher? They can't cut or waive him and so he's throwing a wrench into "moving forward." If I was owner, this wouldn't be a dilemma, I would ask Fisher to take a seat as an assistant coach effective immediately.

Author: NOODLESTYLE 
Posted: 02/11 8:30 AM 

Posted: 02/11 8:34 AM 

Honestly, it is what it is. Jeremy Lin was overlooked his entire career. Whether you want to bring up the fact that in high school, every player on the other team wanted to guard him because they thought he couldn't play. Didn't get 1 D1 Athletic scholarship offer, only a walk-on from UCLA, after he chose Harvard. He hoped to go to Stanford. Fans yelling racist things at him at college games.

Then he went undrafted. Donnie Nelson actually wanted him in the D-League his first season as well.

Barely getting any PT on the Warriors, who gambled and waived him. Rockets waived him. Knicks barely playing him until players got hurt and Mike D'Antoni finally got tired of Toney Douglas, etc. Knicks thinking of actually trying to waive him to possibly call up MIKE JAMES!

It is what it is.

Author: kinkle 
Posted: 02/11 8:43 AM 

I am glad the Lakers never drafted him, knowing the rookie unfriendly organization we had at that time, he wouldn't have been given a chance and cut anyways, and tonite would've been even MORE painful.That is why you give guys like Tyler Hansborough, Jimmer Fredette, a shot. Sometimes it'll work out (Jeremy Lin), but sometimes it won't (Adam Morrison LOL).

Author: ucntgrd24 
Posted: 02/11 8:44 AM 

who's the tard that drafted Morrison? oh wait

Author: singlecamVTEC 
Posted: 02/11 9:05 AM 

That's neat. We could've drafted him, paid him to sit on the bench and practice with us. Play time? What's that?

Then we would've set him on his way to a non-NBA career.

Author: LkrsOvrWhoever! 
Posted: 02/11 2:07 PM 

Old news.

Goofballs scrounging up old information and now presenting it as though they cracked the Jeremy Lin mystery?

Author: Reflexx 
Posted: 02/11 3:15 PM 

A lot of us were high on Lin in 2010. Apparently, Mitch saw potential too.

But with our stellar PG rotation, I guess there was no room to risk giving him a guaranteed contract.

Oh well. Even though I wanted him on the Lakers back then, I just thought he'd end up being a solid and smart PG. I had no idea he could be a phenom.

Author: 12 
Posted: 02/11 3:31 PM 

Why the hell are you guys so obsessed with this guy?! Screw him. He's not a Laker, so he can go eff himself.

A lot of players expect/want/wish/hope for the Lakers to draft them. Are you going to create a thread for all those players? If this guy can keep it up for the rest of the year and lead his team deep into the playoffs, he can talk about being a "great story," otherwise, Ben Wallace is still the greatest un-drafted underdog story of the NBA.

Author: fubby1 
Posted: 02/11 3:57 PM 

RyderzDelight wrote:
Why the hell are you guys so obsessed with this guy?! Screw him. He's not a Laker, so he can go eff himself.

oh my

Author: thumpinghead 
Posted: 02/11 4:02 PM 

NOODLESTYLE wrote:
Honestly, it is what it is. Jeremy Lin was overlooked his entire career. Whether you want to bring up the fact that in high school, every player on the other team wanted to guard him because they thought he couldn't play. Didn't get 1 D1 Athletic scholarship offer, only a walk-on from UCLA, after he chose Harvard. He hoped to go to Stanford. Fans yelling racist things at him at college games.

Then he went undrafted. Donnie Nelson actually wanted him in the D-League his first season as well.

Barely getting any PT on the Warriors, who gambled and waived him. Rockets waived him. Knicks barely playing him until players got hurt and Mike D'Antoni finally got tired of Toney Douglas, etc. Knicks thinking of actually trying to waive him to possibly call up MIKE JAMES!

It is what it is.

didnt lakers have him in camp or signed him and released him before?

Posted: 02/11 4:09 PM 

fubby1 wrote:
RyderzDelight wrote:

oh my

Why? Just because he's Asian, I'm supposed to be on his nuts? Seems to be the only reason why he's getting so much press and admiration. If he was going solely off of his production, then he would get his ass handed to him by Kyrie Irving who is averaging 18/5/4 (which is BETTER THAN LEBRON 25 games into his rookie season).

He's in a big market and getting major media attention because he's Asian. He's not something that I care about. His hype will die as soon as he has a couple bad games and his stupid ass will come back to earth and drift off into mediocrity.

Author: CandyCanes 
Posted: 02/11 4:10 PM 

RyderzDelight wrote:

A lot of players expect/want/wish/hope for the Lakers to draft them. Are you going to create a thread for all those players? If this guy can keep it up for the rest of the year and lead his team deep into the playoffs, he can talk about being a "great story," otherwise, Ben Wallace is still the greatest un-drafted underdog story of the NBA.

Woah there; calm down.

Any Asian-American player basically had no shot at playing in the NBA, especially a guard. Both Yi Jianlian and Yao Ming are bigmen who came from the Chinese league.

Not surprising we didn't grab Lin.

Posted: 02/11 4:22 PM 

CandyCanes wrote:
RyderzDelight wrote:

Woah there; calm down.

Any Asian-American player basically had no shot at playing in the NBA, especially a guard. Both Yi Jianlian and Yao Ming are bigmen who came from the Chinese league.

Not surprising we didn't grab Lin.

I don't give a rats ass if he's Asian. Mike D'Antoni makes trash PG's look like gold. Just like he did in Denver with Billups and Van Exel, just like he did in Phoenix with Marbury and Penny, and then with Nash and Banks, and now with Lin. D'Antoni's coaching is SOLELY based on PG's keeping their dribble alive.

Once again, I don't hate Asians and I'm not racist. But this effing douchebag is NOT A LAKER, so he can kiss my @$$. Every dog has his day. This guy is on a hot streak right now, let's see how long it lasts.

Author: Al13 
Posted: 02/11 4:26 PM 

well i would say whatever it was it didnt happen, get over it, move on

Posted: 02/11 7:00 PM 

thumpinghead wrote:
NOODLESTYLE wrote:

It is what it is.

didnt lakers have him in camp or signed him and released him before?

No. Are you thinking of Sun Yue? The player in my avatar.

Author: sugi942 
Posted: 02/11 7:02 PM 

Another Phil Jackson casualty sacrificed on the altar of the Triangle.

Author: Krispy Kreme 
Posted: 02/11 7:03 PM 

typical lakers. slow moving as always. they need to talk about a free agent, and by the time they're ready, he's off the market already

Posted: 02/11 7:04 PM 

Why can't this thread die already? I thought it was on the 2nd page. Why the hell would you bring this crappy thread back?!

Author: Vicky T 
Posted: 02/11 7:11 PM 

caracter instead of lin

*sobs*

Author: LA_Lakers_Rule 
Posted: 02/11 7:11 PM 

ucntgrd24 wrote:
who's the tard that drafted Morrison? oh wait

To Answer your question: The Bobcats drafted Morrison....

Author: Reflexx 
Posted: 02/11 7:14 PM 

RyderzDelight wrote:
Why can't this thread die already? I thought it was on the 2nd page. Why the hell would you bring this crappy thread back?!

Then don't post in it and quit whining.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

LakersGround.net To Go | General Basketball Discussion