LakersGround.net To Go | LA Lakers Lounge


Kobe's Greatest Rivalries

Kobe's Greatest Rivalries 
Author: TACH 
Posted: 05/11 3:41 PM 
 
Quote:
Kobe's Greatest Rivalries (according to Dime)...


There’s no doubt that the Lakers/Suns first round series was one of the most entertaining seven game sets in recent memory. And one of the reasons we were glued to every game was the oft-heated matchup between Kobe Bryant and Raja Bell. If you’ve paid any attention to Kobe’s career, you know this isn’t the first time he’s had an intense rivalry with an opposing player. With Mamba now out of the playoffs, we take a look back at his greatest one-on-one, on-court rivalries.

Kobe vs. Ray Allen
At a time when Kobe was already catching wreck for allegedly orchestrating the 2004 departures of Shaq and Phil Jackson, Ray poured even more gas on the fire after a preseason game in which Kobe scored 35 points: “Is his attitude going to allow him to take a back seat and let Lamar Odom shine and let Caron Butler have his nights and bring those big guys along with him?” Ray asked. Asked for a response, Kobe sniped, “Don’t put me and [Allen] in the same sentence.” The two exchanged words at another preseason game soon after, even though Ray was on the bench in street clothes. Ever since then, whenever the Sonics and Lakers go at it, all eyes turn to Ray and Kobe. No one speaks on the beef all that much, but just watch a Seattle/L.A. game and you can tell both guys badly want to torch the other one.

Kobe vs. Reggie Miller
When Kobe and Reggie matched up in the ‘00 Finals, we didn’t see any indication of bad blood. Two years later, though, Kobe and Reggie got into a huge fight at the Staples Center after a regular season game. Maybe Reggie was steamed about Kobe jacking a three in his face right before the buzzer even though L.A. was comfortably ahead, but he said something that prompted Kobe to uncharacteristically start throwing blows. The benches cleared as the fight spilled onto the scorer’s table, with Shaq and Isiah Thomas right in the middle of everything. Reggie later dropped the loaded statement, “Kobe has other issues he has to deal with. This had nothing to do with me or the basketball game.” Kobe responded with, “I’ll never argue with fools. That’s just a waste of time.” Fast-forward to ’05 and Reggie’s final game in L.A. before his retirement. A post-game hug appeared to signify that the hatchet was buried. Of course, this was after Kobe hung 37 points on Reggie and sent him home 0-9 against the Lakers at Staples.

Kobe vs. Chris Childs
Just like Bell has been saying in ‘06, Childs was accusing Kobe of throwing elbows back in 2000. In a late-season national TV game, Childs ate one too many elbows and the two squared off. Childs whiffed on a head butt, then caught Kobe with a quick 1-2 combo. Kobe’s haymaker of a counterpunch missed its mark, and teammates and refs engulfed the two before it could get any worse. When asked if he thought Childs was playing mind games, Kobe said, “I don’t think so. I don’t think he’s that smart.”

Kobe vs. Vince Carter
You remember what Vince said to the media after Kobe’s 81-point game: “The only bad thing about it is that younger kids, whose minds are easily warped, are going to think, ‘Oh, I’m going to go out there and do it instead of [honoring] the team concept first. That is what is missing in the game, guys understanding how to play as a team.” A simple case of Vince player hating? Maybe, maybe not. But think back to last November, when the Lakers and Nets played at Staples. Kobe housed Vince, outscoring him 46 to 10. Late in the game, a not-that-hard foul led to some chest-to-chest trash talking and both guys being separated while continuing to yell at each other from across the court. A little bad blood, maybe? We may not know until the book comes out.


Best quote: When asked if he thought Childs was playing mind games, Kobe said, “I don’t think so. I don’t think he’s that smart.”

Raja Bell can be addded to this list,.. but didn't the bad blood start during the Finals against the Sixers? Does anybody remember this?


 
Author: LVLAKERFAN 
Posted: 05/11 3:48 PM 
 
What about kobe vs Shaq


 
Author: TACH 
Posted: 05/11 3:56 PM 
 
LVLAKERFAN wrote:
What about kobe vs Shaq


True,.. but I think this is more of a 'game' type rivalry. Kobe never came to blows with Shaq on the court (maybe in practice, while Shaq was with the Lakers )...


 
Author: puajibai 
Posted: 05/11 7:15 PM 
 
The one thing all Kobe's rivals have in common is that they have zero rings. Like Jerry West always said, the reason why nba players try to discredit Kobe is pure jealousy and envy.


 
Author: JerryMagicKobe 
Posted: 05/11 7:25 PM 
 
Let's remind everyone that Kobe jacked that three to BEAT THE EXPIRIG SHOT CLOCK, not to show anyone up. I love Reggie Miller (fellow IE/UCLA dude) but Reggie was wrong on that one. And Ray Allen opened his mouth on something that didn't involve him. And Chris Childs threw punches over a minor beef. And VC opened his mouth and let his nonsense come out (Really, what is funnier than VC speaking of teamwork and children. What a joker.) And Raja threw Kobe to the floor by the neck.

How is this a Kobe problem?


 
Author: LakerJam 
Posted: 05/11 7:39 PM 
 
You know, I don't view those things as "rivalries". That's just heat of the moment or I don't like that guy type of stuff. To me, the rivalries Kobe has right now are:

Kobe v. Lebron
Kobe v. Wade
Kobe v. Vince
Kobe v. T-Mac

Those are the games EVERYONE wants to see. Those are the games the players, themselves, definitely get up for, because analysts and fans are constantly insulting or comparing those guys at different points with one another. The other stuff is just testosterone idiocy.

True rivalry involves opponents having a realistic chance to out-do the other. Chris Childs or Reggie Miller weren't ever going to out do Kobe Bryant. Neither will Raja Bell. But the other guys can go off, just as Kobe can - though clearly Kobe is the best of the bunch.


 
Author: Vancouver Fan 
Posted: 05/11 7:51 PM 
 
LVLAKERFAN wrote:
What about kobe vs Shaq


 
Author: Socks 
Posted: 05/11 8:04 PM 
 
The only real rivalry Kobe has is with himself. Those other guys haven't been able to compete...it's just about Kobe competing against himself to get even better.


 
Author: drzucchini 
Posted: 05/11 8:09 PM 
 
Socks wrote:
The only real rivalry Kobe has is with himself. Those other guys haven't been able to compete...it's just about Kobe competing against himself to get even better.


No joke. It's hilarious what kind of matchups these people are trying to pawn off as being legitimate rivalries. Real rivalries aren't one-sided.


 
Author: Panthas 
Posted: 05/11 8:17 PM 
 
Kobe "rivialries " are with guys who want to have the same status as him.


 
Author: Addicus 
Posted: 05/11 10:13 PM 
 
The crazy part is how the only guy on that list that has ever lit Kobe up is Ray Allen.

He is the one guy that Kobe has problems with (too fast of a release and a lot of screens). That 46-10 game vs Vince, Kobe was guarding him and shut him down. If our young guys didn't choke we would have won also.


 
Author: eniq 0x00 
Posted: 05/12 12:43 AM 
 
psydesho wrote:
The crazy part is how the only guy on that list that has ever lit Kobe up is Ray Allen.

He is the one guy that Kobe has problems with (too fast of a release and a lot of screens).


And Kobe shut him down earlier this season.


 
Author: ajaxxx 
Posted: 05/12 2:18 AM 
 
kobe vs. media


 
Author: doughboy90650 
Posted: 05/12 6:26 AM 
 
He rubs people the wrong way because he's cocky, which is a good thing, confidant and can flat out ball.

I also love how they say if I was on the team with Shaquille, I'd have three rings too. As if.

Just give him his props ....


 
Author: KOBE8LAMAR7 
Posted: 05/12 7:15 AM 
 
ajaxxx wrote:
kobe vs. media


I was just bout to say that


 
Author: Citizen Kris 
Posted: 05/12 8:09 AM 
 
KOBE8LAMAR7 wrote:
ajaxxx wrote:
kobe vs. media


I was just bout to say that


me too


 
Author: yellowledbetter 
Posted: 05/12 8:11 AM 
 
not the same kind of rivalry, probably not even a rivalry, but i used to love to watch Kobe and Jimmy Jackson go at it when Jimmy was a King in the heyday of the Lakers/Sactown feud. He played Kobe as tough as anyone at that time.


 
Author: Great One 
Posted: 05/12 9:00 AM 
 
LakerJam wrote:
You know, I don't view those things as "rivalries". That's just heat of the moment or I don't like that guy type of stuff. To me, the rivalries Kobe has right now are:

Kobe v. Lebron
Kobe v. Wade
Kobe v. Vince
Kobe v. T-Mac

Those are the games EVERYONE wants to see. Those are the games the players, themselves, definitely get up for, because analysts and fans are constantly insulting or comparing those guys at different points with one another. The other stuff is just testosterone idiocy.

True rivalry involves opponents having a realistic chance to out-do the other. Chris Childs or Reggie Miller weren't ever going to out do Kobe Bryant. Neither will Raja Bell. But the other guys can go off, just as Kobe can - though clearly Kobe is the best of the bunch.


So true. Kobe has no equal, When your the greatest, everyone wants a piece of you.


 
Author: SiRQB11 
Posted: 05/12 1:21 PM 
 
the media


 
Author: Addicus 
Posted: 05/12 3:28 PM 
 
doughboy90650 wrote:
He rubs people the wrong way because he's cocky, which is a good thing, confidant and can flat out ball.

I also love how they say if I was on the team with Shaquille, I'd have three rings too. As if.

Just give him his props ....


Yeah ... not hearing too much of that one lately huh? People realize how much Kobe was carrying Shaq now and it makes it hard for guys like D. Wade to compare.


 
Author: vanexelent 
Posted: 05/13 6:04 AM 
 
Quote:
Raja Bell can be addded to this list,.. but didn't the bad blood start during the Finals against the Sixers? Does anybody remember this?


Does anyone ever remember Raja Bell in the Finals? Why has the fact that Raja played for the Sixers in the 00' Finals somehow transformed into this career long rivalry with Kobe? The only memorable players on the Sixers that year was Allen Iverson and a bald guy named Gyger who once broke Shaq's hand.


 
Author: postandpivot 
Posted: 05/13 7:10 AM 
 
eniq 0x00 wrote:
psydesho wrote:
The crazy part is how the only guy on that list that has ever lit Kobe up is Ray Allen.

He is the one guy that Kobe has problems with (too fast of a release and a lot of screens).


And Kobe shut him down earlier this season.

Kobe has one guy left on the list and his name is Inglewood pierce.

I think his game is more about putting his body on you and spinning for kobe to stop. as a defender good or bad, you almost cant stop a guy when he has a good spin move, and knows how to use his body well. its not much you can do. and thats paul pierce.

LakersGround.net To Go | LA Lakers Lounge