LakersGround.net To Go | Off Topic

Acura Rl - a spec package (Finally made a decision!)

Acura Rl - a spec package (Finally made a decision!) 
Author: Vancouver Fan 
Posted: 02/08 10:03 PM 

sup fellas, I was just wondering if any of you drive a 2005-2007 Acura Rl. Im planning to get rid of my current vehicle (2002 M3) and am highly considering purchasing a mid luxury sedan. Im not going to buy another Bimmer or Benz due to high maintenance cost etc etc and no more 2+2 seaters. I want something sporty but at the same time a vehicle that can sit 4 comfortably. I am torn between an infiniti M45 or the Rl with the Aspec package. E500 and 5 series sedans are a little out of the price range up north so Im not even considering them.

Im a little more bias towards the Acura due to the engine size, mileage and the fit and finish of the interior. Any suggestions?

Thx

Author: LAKERSCMXCIX 
Posted: 02/08 10:31 PM 

hmm... funny im going to get a lexus 2+2 seater hardtop conv ....

well anyways i recommend the lexus GS300.... i drive a bimmer 5 series now and should have gotten the GS when i had the chance

Author: Mike@LG 
Posted: 02/08 10:32 PM 

I love car discussions. Glad I went back to school for it.

Since you're coming off of a BMW, how picky are you about "spirited driving" over typical daily driving?

Unfortunately, the mid-luxo sedan with any kind of great handling abilities are all made by Germany.

I'm biased towards a GS350 or M45 over the Acura.

You're not going to like the understeer of any of those cars.

Considering the weather in Vancouver, I figure, you're going to get AWD as well. All 3 offer that.

Posted: 02/08 10:38 PM 

Mike@LG wrote:

typical daily driving?

i dont think hes wants a camry.....however they are bad ass

Posted: 02/08 10:45 PM 

If it were my choice...

I'd definitely be biased to a 2003 M5 or 540i w/Sport Package.

Volvo S80 may be worth a look.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/volvo/s80/sedan/midsize/index.html

Posted: 02/08 10:52 PM 

Mike@LG wrote:

Since you're coming off of a BMW, how picky are you about "spirited driving" over typical daily driving?

Unfortunately, the mid-luxo sedan with any kind of great handling abilities are all made by Germany.

I'm biased towards a GS350 or M45 over the Acura.

You're not going to like the understeer of any of those cars.

Considering the weather in Vancouver, I figure, you're going to get AWD as well. All 3 offer that.

I like a car that is a fun every day ride. Not so boring i guess. The M3 was an excellent car but I had electrical problems as well as a harsh ride when the road conditions weren't the best.

Im not the most "agressive driver" but I do like to rip it a tad when on the freeway. I love driving. I spend a lot of time behind the wheel of a vehicle when there aint much to do. Anyways, I haven't test drove any of the cars mentioned yet but am planning to do so this sunday.

I heard the M45 does not come with an AWD package. Only the M35. The Acura comes standard since there is only one engine option. Lexus too, only the 350 comes AWD. The 400 and the 430h do not have those options. Anyways, im sure any of the 3 will be pretty sufficient but it basically comes down to personnal preference in the end.

How bad is the understeer in each of those cars??? which one is the worst??? are there any problems that i should know about regarding any of the suggested vehicles? Japanese cars are very reliable, i know this from past experiences and from word of mouth. I need to make a choice soon.

thx guys.

Posted: 02/08 10:53 PM 

Mike@LG wrote:
If it were my choice...

bro, if i had the $$$ an M5 would be top of the list. Plus, the wait list in Vancouver for one is f'ing ridiculous.

lol, i didnt read your post clearly.....2003 m5 ahhh.

how are the maintenance cost on those used M5??? arent they just as expensive as the newer models. Japanese maint. cost seem to be much more reasonable. My m3 always cost an arm and a leg.

dont really like the look of volvo, not my thing.

Posted: 02/08 10:55 PM 

Mike@LG wrote:
If it were my choice...

i have the 03 5 series... the last model of the queen..... i also dont thnk he was looking for that type of car unless he wants a bumpy ride...

Posted: 02/08 11:49 PM 

Quote:

How bad is the understeer in each of those cars??? which one is the worst??? are there any problems that i should know about regarding any of the suggested vehicles? Japanese cars are very reliable, i know this from past experiences and from word of mouth. I need to make a choice soon.

thx guys.

The M35 or M45 would be the least understeery. Lexus puts very intrucive traction control systems on their cars. Having driven and ridden an M45 before, it does have some zip to it.

Both '06 RLs and M45s are very reliable.

Stay away from '05 RLs. Loads of electrical TSBs.

AWD tends to be far more understeery than RWD.

Can't go wrong with either car. M45 tends to have better overall performance. RL has an excellent interior with great finishes and trim.

Depends on what your use is. I think RL would be best considering how much time you spend behind the wheel.

Quote:
The RL A-SPEC package enhances the already crisp handling and aggressive styling with a track-tuned suspension package that lowers the car by approximately 3/4 inch, 18-inch alloy wheels equipped with Michelin Pilot Sport tires, an underbody kit, and a deck lid spoiler. The RL A-SPEC kit will be priced at approximately $5,500 plus dealer installation and covered under a factory warranty.

http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/acura_rl_a-spec.asp

Definitely test drive before purchase between A-Spec and Stock.

Posted: 02/08 11:56 PM 

^^^i think i may go the m45 route...i'll see on sunday. Gotta see how the rear wheel drive performs in snowy conditions.

Can't wait, I love shopping for cars.

Posted: 02/09 12:08 AM 

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

thx guys.

The M35 or M45 would be the least understeery. Lexus puts very intrucive traction control systems on their cars. Having driven and ridden an M45 before, it does have some zip to it.

Both '06 RLs and M45s are very reliable.

Stay away from '05 RLs. Loads of electrical TSBs.

AWD tends to be far more understeery than RWD.

Can't go wrong with either car. M45 tends to have better overall performance. RL has an excellent interior with great finishes and trim.

Depends on what your use is. I think RL would be best considering how much time you spend behind the wheel.

Quote:
The RL A-SPEC package enhances the already crisp handling and aggressive styling with a track-tuned suspension package that lowers the car by approximately 3/4 inch, 18-inch alloy wheels equipped with Michelin Pilot Sport tires, an underbody kit, and a deck lid spoiler. The RL A-SPEC kit will be priced at approximately $5,500 plus dealer installation and covered under a factory warranty.

http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/acura_rl_a-spec.asp

Definitely test drive before purchase between A-Spec and Stock.

if he lives in snowy conditions the Sti or Evo wouldnt be a bad pick

Posted: 02/09 12:49 AM 

Quote:

Nowhere near the comfort levels of a midsize luxury sedan, which is the target.

Posted: 02/09 12:51 AM 

Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

the audi S4 wouldnt be bad either

Posted: 02/09 1:06 AM 

^German maintenance.

Speaking of which, maintenance on EVos and STis are pricey too.

Posted: 02/09 1:20 AM 

Lakers999 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:

the audi S4 wouldnt be bad either

the audi s4 has a ton of electrical problems just like VW. My friend drove an S4 cabriolet and got rid of it after just a year. Plus, after all the options, its $8000 more than the M45 or RL.

With the japanese cars up here in Vancouver, a lot of the stuff comes standard.

Posted: 02/09 1:23 AM 

Mike@LG wrote:
^German maintenance.

Speaking of which, maintenance on EVos and STis are pricey too.

no turbo cars thanks. I made a huge mistake of buying a Turbo'd car when i was 18. It was horrendous.

Author: j-dawg 
Posted: 02/09 4:46 AM 

M45. IMO best handling Japanese sedan. Although the RL is a great car, I think it's kinda bland for a $50k car. But that's just me.

If you could get more of a discount on the RL, I say go for it. The SH-AWD might be benificial in Canada. I don't think Infiniti or Lexus offer AWD + V8 though. Only 6cyl. versions come with AWD. In that case, I'd suggest the Lexus GS350 AWD. If you're looking for power, it should have the most, out of those 3.

Posted: 02/09 11:39 PM 

drove a 2007 5 series AWD today....meh, it was ok. Seemed under powered no?

Posted: 02/09 11:45 PM 

Vancouver Fan wrote:

It is underpowered. Cars that heavy with AWD systems need at least 300hp.

525xi only has 215hp 185 torque
530xi only has 255hp 220 torque

Posted: 02/10 1:06 AM 

Mike@LG wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

i drove the 530xi and wasnt impressed with the interior either. For that price I'd rather go with the japanese luxury sedans since they come fully loaded and i really dont have to bother picking each option that I would want.

Plus, without the sport package, the 530xi doesnt look all that good.

lol at the salesman when he said im selling out euro cars for japanese.

Posted: 02/10 3:06 AM 

Mike@LG wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

dont know the price of gas in vancouver but you can get a v8 with all wheel drive.......... i think

Author: tortuga 
Posted: 02/10 3:44 AM 

I got my '06 RL back in October. I love everything about the car.

Mine doesn't have the A-spec package but I heard that with the A-spec suspension, it handles almost like the bimmer. Plus, the A-spec rims look way better than the standard ones.

I paid about $42k, which includes backup camera, splash guards, wheel locks, and 8 yr/120,000 mile warranty.

They were offering $6-8k discount when I was shopping for the car. I'm not sure if they're still offering it for the '07's. You may want to look for the '06's since there's virtually no changes to the '07's.

Excellent car. Has great fit and finish. Has plenty of power and has smooth ride overall. Keep in mind that A-spec ride will be a little rougher due to stiffer suspension.

The only thing that really bothers me is the fact that it doesn't come with the cooling feature on the seats. It only has the heating feature.

I think the things that really set it apart from the rest is its advanced all-wheel drive system (SH-AWD). Also, its Navi and the voice-activated features are some of the best in the industry. So, the technology stuff wise, I think it's the best in its class.

On the one hand, I think you may like the Infiniti better since you're coming from an M3. M45 hauls ass for sure and you may be somewhat disappointed with the Acura in that aspect. But don't get me wrong. RL also some serious power under the hood.

I guess it's somewhat unfair since one is V8 and the other a V6. M35 also a great choice if you're considering that too. Perhaps you can get more options with it.

I'd also consider the Lexus GS350. In addition to the 3.5 liter upgrade, they've added bigger brakes borrowed from the GS430 (front 4-piston calipers, RL also has them too by the way) and they upgraded the Navi (5th gen).

Here's some sites for the 3 cars.

acurazine - RL section

clublexus - GS - 3rd gen

M35/45 forum - M35/45

Good luck.

Make sure to test drive all of them.

Posted: 05/14 9:43 PM 

sup guys, so the decision finally has come on a new car and I have decided not to get either a M45 or a Acura RL due to friggin rising gas prices (We have the highest gas prices in the COUNTRY ). So instead, after months of test driving and consumer reports, I have come to the conclusion that I will be purchasing a 2007 G35 sedan.

I was going to wait for the NEW g37 coupe because that thing looks pretty bad ass and is now a standard 3.7 V6 with 330 HP I LIKE A LOT but im tired of 2+2 coupes and its time to go with a 4 door for now.

The reason for the pick was first and foremost cost. By purchasing the model I chose, I will be saving a tons of $$$ in comparison to buying a bigger luxury sedan or suv. Plus, the new styling with the model seems to cater to my personal taste. I basically got all the options with the exception of Navi because I really have no need for it here and I dont expect to be taking it cross country and even if I do, I still can use a MAP right? The engine is a 3.5 V6 with 306hp and 268 lbs torque. More than enough for me. Its not like im going to be taking this to the track or anything like that.

So basically I will be getting a G35 sport AT w/ paddle shifters with all the interior options including 18" wheels, aero kit and rear spoiler. Color will be ivory pearl and delivery will be in 2 weeks. When I have broken it in I will try and post pictures...thx for the input and wouldnt mind your opinions on the choice. Go lakers!

heres a sample pick of what it basically will look like guys:
G35 side pic

G35 Rear

EXCITED!

Author: tortuga 
Posted: 05/14 9:49 PM 

Excellent choice. They have significantly improved the interior for the new G. Great car. Great value.

Congrats.

Posted: 05/14 9:59 PM 

tortuga wrote:
Excellent choice. They have significantly improved the interior for the new G. Great car. Great value.

Congrats.

thx bro. Your are right, they did a fabulous job with the new interior. It was the first thing I noticed when I hopped into the ride. Im pretty content with the choice. Its doesnt have the "flash and dash" of my ex-M3 but it aint a slouch either. It was the most practical choice for me.

LakersGround.net To Go | Off Topic