LakersGround.net To Go | LA Lakers Lounge

Our Record Shows We Do Better With Kobe "The Facilitator" Over Kobe "The Scorer," Which Do You Want?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

- Given A Balance, Should Kobe Focus on Being a Facilitator FIRST or a Scorer FIRST?.... -  
[ Poll ] 

Focus on Scoring First and Facilitating Second [33] 
Focus on Facilitating First and Scoring Second [15]

Our Record Shows We Do Better With Kobe "The Facilitator" Over Kobe "The Scorer," Which Do You Want? 
Author: LakerSanity 
Posted: 04/05 6:04 AM 

Given that OF COURSE there should be a balance, should Kobe look to more often be a facilitator FIRST OR a scorer FIRST?

Check out the following Stats -

Laker's Record Regarding Kobe's Assists

5 or Less Assists - 38 Games, 14-24 (37% winning percentage)
6 or More Assists - 33 Games, 22-11 record (67% winning percentage)
7 or More Assists - 20 Games, 14-6 (70% winning percentage)

Laker's Record Regarding Kobe's Points

29 or Less Points - 37 Games, 18-19 (49% Winning Percentage)
30 to 39 Points - 18 Games, 7-11 (39% winning Percentage)
40 or More Points - 16 Games, 12-4 (75% Winning Percentage); 3-3 when he shoots under 50%

Laker's Record Regarding Kobe's FG Attempts

19 or Less FG Attempts - 27 Games, 14-13 (52% Winning Percentage)
20-23 FG Attempts - 17 Games, 10-7 (59% Winning Percentage)
24 or More FG Attempts - 27 Games, 14-13 (52% Winning Percentage)

18 or Less FG Attempts - 22 Games, 11-11 (50% Winning Percentage)
19-24 FG Attempts - 27 Games, 14-13 (52% Winning Percentage)
25 or More FG Attempts - 22 Games, 12-10 (55% Winning Percentage)

17 or Less FG Attempts - 16 Games, 10-6 (63% Winning Percentage)
18-25 FG Attempts - 37 Games, 17-20 (46% Winning Percentage)
26 or More FG Attempts - 18 Games, 10-8 (56% Winning Percentage)

Laker's Record Regarding Kobe's FT Attempts

7 or Less FT Attempts - 20 Games, 13-8 (62% Winning Percentage)
8-12 FT Attempts - 34 Games, 13-21 (38% Winning Percentage)
13 or More FT Attempts - 17 Games, 11-6 (65% Winning Percentage)

Laker's Record When Kobe is in "Scoring Mode, i.e. "Attempts" To or Scores 40 or More Points

Defining "Scoring Mode"/"40+ Point Attempt" - For these purposes, lets say a solid 40 point game is 9/17 2-Pointers and 3/8 3-Pointers, plus 13 FTs made (a total of 12/25 FGs, 27 PTS, plus 13 made FTs - fair if you look at all the times Kobe scored 40 or more and that he only averages 22 FGA per game normally). Therefore, we will define a "40 point attempt" as any time Kobe attempts 25 or more FGs but has 39 or less points AND does not have 7 or more assists, i.e. he "attempts" the "pure scoring" role, but fails at it.

Laker's Record for a Kobe 40+ Point "Attempt" - Our record for when Kobe makes a "40 point attempt" is 5-7. However, 4 of those games Kobe had 7 or more assists, where we were 3-1. That takes that record down to 2-6.

Laker's Overall Record When Kobe is in "Scoring" Mode - Add that 2-6 record to the 12-4 record when Kobe scores 40 or more points. The record then becomes 14-10 when Kobe tries to (or does) score 40 or more points. That would be 24 games and a 58% winning percentage.

We are 2-2 when Kobe scores 40+ points and dishes 7+ assists. Additionally, almost half the time Kobe attempts to go for or makes 40 points or more, he shoots under 50% and at those times our record is 4-7.

Laker's Record When Kobe is in "Facilitating" Mode, i.e. Attempts or Gains 7 or More Assists

Defining "Facilitating Mode"/7+ Assist "Attempt" - We will define a "7+ Assist Attempt" or Kobe as a "facilitator" as anytime Kobe shoots 17 or fewer FG attempts AND gains less than 7 Assists. This means that Kobe "attempts" the "facilitating" role but fails at it.

Laker's Record For a Kobe "7+ Assist Attempt" - Our record for when Kobe "attempts" to gain 7 or more assists is 6-5.

Laker's Record for Kobe in "Facilitating" Mode - Our record is 14-6 when Kobe gets 7+ assists (including 2-2 when scoring 40+ points as well). If we add the record for a "7+ Assists Attempt" (6-5) to the record for when Kobe actually gets 7+ Assists (14-6), our record becomes 20-11 (31 games total) when Kobe attempts and/or succeeds at getting 7+ assists. That is a 65% winning percentage.

Record For When Kobe Attempts "Balancing" Mode - If you combine the scoring/facilitating games (50 Games, there were four overlap games which were split 2 to each side, 1-1), it means that (according to my stastistical criteria) Kobe has 20 games in which he attempts to be BOTH a "scorer" AND a "facilitator", attempting to find the "balance" and letting the game come to him. To define the term "Balancing Mode," it means Kobe attempts somewhere between 18-24 FGAs, WHILE NOT dishing 7 or more assists NOR scoring 40 or more points (so averages 20.7 FGA, 25.5 PPG, and 3.8 AST). In those 20 games we are 5-15, a 25% winning percentage (36-34 record with Kobe overall minus 31-19 record when Kobe is in either "facilitator" mode or "scoring" mode).

The real question is this - looking at the above stats, it appears that we are at our best when Kobe scores 40 or more points OR has 7 or more Assists, so .....Which Does Kobe Have More Trouble Acheiving, 40+ Points on 50%+ Shooting or 7+ Assists? More simply put, what really matters then is measuring how successful we are when Kobe chooses to be in "pure facilitator" mode v. "pure scoring" mode v. "balancing" mode.

The answer comes in the data I put together which demonstrates our record depending on what Kobe tries to do that game. With a similar sample size (24 games v. 31 games), the data shows we are significantly better off when Kobe attempts "facilitator mode" going for for 7+ assists (20-11, 65% Wins) rather than "scoring mode" attempting 40+ points (14-10, 58% Wins), regardless of whether or not he acheives either goal. The difference would be projected record of 53-29 (facilitating) and 48-34 (scoring). Even a combination of both, so long as he chose either one every night (if he could somehow do that), would still get us to about 50 wins (61%), which would be much higher than the 25% winning percentage we display when Kobe is in "balancing mode."

I think the answer is especially obvious, because, first, as I said earlier, we are 4-8 (out of 24 games total), when Kobe goes for 40+ but shoots under 50% from the field. It also seems to me he has a much easier time (and saves more energy for defense), trying to gather up assists rather than attempting (and often failing) to score 40 or more points. Kobe needs to focus on setting up his teammates much more often IMO. We must remember that Kobe is currently 2nd in FGA and if he lowered his FGA to around 17-18 a game, he would still easily be in the top 20 in the league. If he took on average 5 less shots a game, could he raise his AST average 1.5 AST or more? I think so.

Posted: 04/05 6:07 AM 

I understand also that defense is most important...however, the stats above don't lie.

Author: Drifts 
Posted: 04/05 6:10 AM 

Kobe scoring 40+ is the answer...but the problem is that doesn't happen every night....so I go with balanced scoring, but before that can happen we need a stable and competent roster first...to the off-season we go.

Author: Raptor2k 
Posted: 04/05 6:12 AM 

An assist is awarded when your teammate scores off your pass.

When they consistently don't score of your passes, you're not going to get the assist.

Not the best way to judge Kobe's mentality that way, imo. Especially when it comes to the triangle, where the other guys MUST step up if the offense is to work.

Kobe will pass when his team can get it done, and will score when his team can't. Lately, they haven't been able to.

You're two limited options for Kobe is what Kobe started doing this season - facilitate first, score second. This is not what Kobe should be doing - just play the damn game. You look for the best way for your team to score on a single possession, judging by the situation. It just doesn't make sense to have a single, narrow sense of what you want to do in a game. An analogy might be you're going for a layup, with a defender in the post. Do you drive right at him with a floater/layup, or do you fly past him and try to reverse it, or do you kick it out to the open man. Your decision shouldn't be premeditated - you perform in the moment.

Author: Tony Almeida 
Posted: 04/05 6:14 AM 

Well you know my thoughts on how Kobe should play his game shots wise.

Start off shooting, 6-8 shots in the first, QUALITY shots. They don't have to be all take it to the rack plays, but they don't have to be 35 foot fadeaway bombs either.

Second and third quarter, tone it down a notch, get the other guys going, do the whole facilitating thing. At this point, we have many options and routes within these two quarters, and they are dependent on what happened on the first, and how his teammates are shooting in these two quarters.

If Kobe was feeling it and hitting in the first quarter, then in the second and third, he should still look to score, but not at the expense of alienating the other guys. Dish it to them when you get doubled and tripled, something he rarely does when he's feeling it or on. This way you still get a balance, Kobe still getting his good shots, teammates getting theirs.

If teammates aren't hitting at all through a good part of the second and third, you go all out Mamba and let him take over and go for his 40/50+ type of game.

If he starts off slow in the first, and it's not looking good, shortarming his shots, missing free throws, look to setup the other guys. And not just swinging the ball around and playing decoy, actually driving and dishing, or doing your best to attract a double team and finding the open man for the shot.

The options and possibilities are limitless, but I prefer a Kobe who shoots about 25-28 shots a game so long as for the most part they are good shots and come within the game and within himself. Now I say for the most part good shots, because this is Kobe Bryant, you can't change who he is, your going to see that 35 foot bomb of a triple, and it may even go in, that's why Kobe is Kobe, you take the good with the bad.

I think it's when he gets stuck in one of those in-between games where he has the most trouble and we end up losing. Where it's kinda like his shot is going, his teammates are sorta kinda there, but we're still losing because of bad defense. At which point he can either dish it or take matters into his own hands. It's a tossup, but for the most part, I roll with his decision in those situation, but he could stand to improve looking at the numbers, and just looking at the games in general.

Author: TheJellosJigglin' 
Posted: 04/05 6:14 AM 

It's quite simple; take what the defense gives you. Kobe isnt going to play exactly the same every game.

Author: bambam 
Posted: 04/05 6:17 AM 

i dont know which is more irritating to watch...

Kobe miss most of his shots while there are 3 wide open teammates?

or

Kobe spoon feed guys wide open shots only to have them chuck up bricks?

this team is not put together well on either end of the court. its pathetic.

Posted: 04/05 6:22 AM 

Also - imagine Kobe NOT going for those 65, 50, 60, 50 and 43 point games. Imagine him trying to get the other hobbled and/or boneheaded guys involved. Would be fighting for the 8th seed, or would we fighting for draft position?

Posted: 04/05 6:23 AM 

TheJellosJigglin' wrote:
It's quite simple; take what the defense gives you. Kobe isnt going to play exactly the same every game.

Yep

Re: Our Record Shows We Do Better With Kobe "The Facilitator" Over Kobe "The Scorer," Which Do You Want? 
Author: lfan123 
Posted: 04/05 6:32 AM 

Quote:
Kobe needs to focus on setting up his teammates much more often IMO.

Kobe would average 7 assists easily if his teammates would HIT THEIR SHOTS. Not "heyy -- why'd you throw the ball at my hands? Oh, I'm supposed to CATCH?? DERRRRR"

Author: venturalakersfan 
Posted: 04/05 6:39 AM 

He needs to keep throwing it. Until he gets players around him who can put the ball in the hole when needed, this team will compete for nothing. If it is the players, then you send some out and try new one.

Posted: 04/05 6:42 AM 

TheJellosJigglin' wrote:

I actually agree with that perfectly....the problem is Kobe hasn't been doing this.

He seems to be only able to take on one role or the other...its why I asked the question. Seems to me he has an easier time going from facilitator to scorer than from scorer to facilitator.

Ideally, I would want him to start out scoring, go through the 2nd and 3rd quarters facilitating, and then the 4th scoring again.

Posted: 04/05 7:04 AM 

Boogieman2k5 wrote:
An assist is awarded when your teammate scores off your pass.

When they consistently don't score of your passes, you're not going to get the assist.

Not the best way to judge Kobe's mentality that way, imo. Especially when it comes to the triangle, where the other guys MUST step up if the offense is to work.

Kobe will pass when his team can get it done, and will score when his team can't. Lately, they haven't been able to.

You're two limited options for Kobe is what Kobe started doing this season - facilitate first, score second. This is not what Kobe should be doing - just play the damn game. You look for the best way for your team to score on a single possession, judging by the situation. It just doesn't make sense to have a single, narrow sense of what you want to do in a game. An analogy might be you're going for a layup, with a defender in the post. Do you drive right at him with a floater/layup, or do you fly past him and try to reverse it, or do you kick it out to the open man. Your decision shouldn't be premeditated - you perform in the moment.

I completey agree....maybe this thread was created out of frustration, but it seems to me Kobe hasn't been able to "let the game" come to him or really adjust to the role he needs to play throughout the game.

He doesn't seem to notice when his shot is off or he is being double teamed and has the opportunity to go into assist mode. Just honestly, he hasn't been very good at balancing the two.

In no way do I blame Kobe for our losses (it is our defense's fault for that), but the above is why I asked the question. If Kobe can't adjust mid-game, it means he has to go into the game deciding which mentality he should take.

We've had two long losing streaks this year - one of 6 games and another of 7 games (Kobe missed one of those games). Out of those 12 losses which Kobe played in, Kobe hit 7+ assists TWO TIMES and hit 40 points ONLY ONE TIME DESPITE only ONE GAME where he shot less than 19 times, BUT NINE GAMES where he shot 20 or more. The argument during those losing streaks was that Kobe tried facilitating and we still lost, but not according to those stats.

So the question remains - given Kobe's teammates, is it easier for him to acheive (not just attempt) 40 points or seven assists? As bad or good as the other Lakers are, I have to believe it is easier for Kobe to rack up 7+ assists in a game than it is to get 40 points (on a decent shooting percentage). This is why I believe he needs to adopt the facilitator mentality first.

There are also bonuses to Kobe facilitating as it seems that when he does, his teammates seem to gain confidence and are more prepared to step up, but, more importantly, it seems facilitating takes less energy for him and that is energy he uses to be a better defender.

Fact is, regardless of how good or bad Kobe does scoring, without his teammates stepping up, we're not getting anywhere anyways. You might as well force feed it to them, giving them confidence and experience, even if its only a small chance it will work and we win. If you don't do that, we don't even have a small chance of winning in the playoffs, we have no chance.

Posted: 04/05 7:14 AM 

LakerSanity wrote:

So the question remains - given Kobe's teammates, is it easier for him to acheive (not just attempt) 40 points or seven assists?

I really believe, if you tell Kobe Bryant, before the game, all bets are off, go all out Mamba mode, don't give two flying you know whats about the critics, or anyone else, we need this win and the majority of your points will be the reason we win, that it would be infinitely easier for him to get 40+ points rather than seven assists and deliver the W.

Basically that five or six game stretch with his 40+/50+ games showed me, that when Phil gives him the green light, and Kobe slams on the gas and does what comes most natural to him, we win games.

I think it's when we get stuck in-between and he has to overthink things, much as my explanation would have him do, just like this thread implies. If you let Kobe be Kobe, and have faith in his decisions, I think that we have a much better shot at getting the W. Fact of the matter is, as soon as that 50 point streak ended, with 43, some people were already clamoring for Kobe to tone it down, and start passing the rock more. I'm not a mind reader, but I think some of that led to the bad night in Memphis, as the green light, was still green, but almost turning yellow. I guess in the long run, it is best not to have Kobe go all out all the time, as he's not getting any younger, and that is the safer route to go for his health, but hypothetically, if his healthy wouldn't deteriorate much more than say getting 7+ assists (big assumption) and toning it down, I'd like to see what happens with a complete green light. Last year was as close to a complete bright green light as we're going to see for a season, but I still think Phil had his reigns on Kobe (62 in 3 quarters, didn't let him return sticks out in my head).

Posted: 04/05 7:18 AM 

^^^^Well we have seen Kobe go all out scoring, but on the flip side, have we seen (aside from Phoenix series in the playoffs) switch as dramatically to assist mode?

I don't just mean facilitator mode where he balances scoring and assists, I mean full on PG mode like he did against Sacramento the other night. Like Phils says to him, tonight I don't care how much you score, what I want you to do is get 10 or more assists.

I would be interested to see what happens then and what the team looks like then.

Ideally I would want Phil to say....no jumpers outside 15 feet, everything else better be an attempted assist or lay-up.

Author: TEEGUNN 
Posted: 04/05 7:19 AM 

Kobe is the best scoring SG.... possibly ever to grace the floor of an NBA court. He should be a scorer first, distributor second. Which is why we need a true distributing/defending PG badly. Don't try and force Kobe to do too many jobs.

I don't like watching Kobe having to take and make all these unbelievable shots for us to have to win games. But that is what is happening more often than not. It speaks volumes about the players we have put around him.

Author: DuncanIdaho 
Posted: 04/05 7:21 AM 

The real answer to this question is Kobe the Scorer, and we get a real point guard like Kidd, Nash, Billups or CP3 instead of the broken-down mess of a 5-man point guard rotation we have right now.

Posted: 04/05 7:27 AM 

TEEGUNN wrote:
Kobe is the best scoring SG.... possibly ever to grace the floor of an NBA court. He should be a scorer first, distributor second. Which is why we need a true distributing/defending PG badly. Don't try and force Kobe to do too many jobs.

I don't like watching Kobe having to take and make all these unbelievable shots for us to have to win games. But that is what is happening more often than not. It speaks volumes about the players we have put around him.

I love watching Kobe score.....but relying on him to always shoot a high percentage and come out with 40+ points is just not going to happen, especially because it takes such a high toll on his body and burns him out.
This is what I attribute the Memphis game to.

The stats show that we win when Kobe has EVEN JUST 6 or more assists OR 40+ points.....its even better when he gets 7 or more assists.

Even though Kobe could score 40+ a game, could he do so on a high percentage? Out of the 15 games where he scored 40 or more, only 3 games did he shoot under 48% (we went 1-2) and 2 games where he went between 48-50% (1-1)...that means 3 out of the four losses we had when Kobe scored 40+ were when we he shot under 50%. Remember, the difference usually between a Kobe 30 point game and a 40 point game is his poor shooting percentage. How many times has he tried to hit 40 but failed?

Kobe scoring over 40 points shooting under 50% does nothing for us. We're talking about what it takes to win. Kobe going for 7+ assists is definitely easier than Kobe going for 40+ points on 50%+ shooting.

Posted: 04/05 7:30 AM 

You're right, we've never seen full out assist mode, and I don't think we ever will.

Although it would be interesting in theory what would happen, I think that would not be a long term solution, nor would all out Kobe mode. The key as everyone realizes, is balance.

All out assist mode, 10+, may bode well for a few games, but the team outside of Kobe wouldn't be reliable enough outside of a few good showings -- they ARE in the NBA for a reason, so I would expect that they could pull out some wins. I think that would be a complete waste of Kobe Bryant though, at which point I would just say deal him for a real PG/Center/Power Forward and picks, since our team won't benefit long term from such a strategy, unless it's to boost their confidence for future games.

I think when you have the game's best offensive weapon, you have to use it as it was intended, to score the ball. Which is why nearly the entire season we've been clamoring for a upgrade at the point, and I and several others have wanted a two way, more traditional 4, so we can get away from all this imbalance on the offensive end and have Kobe be able to focus on what he does best, and as a team have more inside/outside balance.

Posted: 04/05 7:36 AM 

^^^I basically agree, but I guess I ask this question because until we get that talent on this team, it seems to me we benefit more from Kobe ATTEMPTING the balancing act while with the mentality of facilitator first and scorer second.

I am not saying he should ditch scoring at all, I am just saying thats the way I think it should be prioritized when he attempts the balance.

To me it just seems Kobe has more success attempting to get his teammates involved + scoring
versus
trying to score 40+ on a high percentage + getting his teammates involved.

Author: Tarzan008 
Posted: 04/05 8:40 AM 

Past 2 seasons.....

Kobe 40+: Lakers record 28-13

Kobe 39-: Lakers record 55-60

You do the math...

Just recently we won 5 straight when Kobe scored 50+ for 4,and 40+ for another...

Since then Kobe scored 40+ in one,we lost. But in the other 3 he scored less than 40 and we lost all 3.....

Kobe needs to be mamba attack mode Kobe.You are lucky to have this special player,you need to use him as he is best used,and thats scoring......Leave the "facilitating" to magic and the past....

You want Kobe taking 20 shots a game,and facilitating,then surround him with players that can hit there shots....Until then with this squad he needs to be a 25 to 30 shot a game player.....

Kobe is not a great passer,he is a good one.Kobe is a scorer deluxe,allow him to do what he does best....

When we can get another all-star or near all-star and Bynum grows up,then Kobe can be a 30 a game and 7 assist player with 20 shot attempts per game and play the overall balanced game.... Until then it has to be Attack mode Kobe.....IMO!!!

Posted: 04/05 10:08 AM 

Every season is a different season, so lets just judge what has worked for us this year.

The whole point is that since Kobe obviously has trouble balancing the scoring v. facilitating in the same game (according to my estimate, we win only 25% of the time when he does so), which are we better of with THIS SEASON...when Kobe decides to go "scoring mode," i.e. attempts and/or succeeds at scoring 40+ points OR when Kobe decides to go "facilitating mode," i.e. attempts and/or succeeds at gathering 7+ assists? It's pretty clear we perform better as a team when Kobe is in facilitating mode over scoring mode.

Author: CabinCreek44 
Posted: 04/05 2:07 PM 

Kobe can "facilitate" very well, but that's not his best role. He's the best scorer in the history of the game. And we are flat out better when Kobe is in attack mode. That's just a natural fact as far as this Laker fan is concerned.

Now Phil says after last night's game that Kobe "probably took too many shots". Good God. It's amazing Kobe didn't go Sprewell on this guy a long time ago.

Let Kobe be Kobe.

Author: B_P 
Posted: 04/05 2:22 PM 

I like it the best when Kobe READS THE DEFENSE and does the correct thing.

Each possession is a brand new experience.

Predetermining your moves is foolish.

Posted: 04/05 2:32 PM 

^^^^Unfortunately, statistically, it seems as though we do better when Kobe enters a game with a mindset. If he really read the defense as he should, he wouldn't take half as many tough shots as he does and he would use the triangle to his advantage a bit more.

Ideally you'd want every player to allow the game to come to them, Kobe doesn't seem to be able to find that balance yet. Kobe still has a long way to go when it comes to decision making IMO.

No doubt he is the best scorer on the planet and no doubt the guy could probably rack up assists as well if he wanted to, but I am not sure yet he is able to adjust mid-game and really make the right decisions at the right time, balance those two areas at once harmoniously.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

LakersGround.net To Go | LA Lakers Lounge