Steve Kerr to become GM of Suns

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Steve Kerr to become GM of Suns

Quote:
Steve Kerr will be hired as general manager of the Phoenix Suns, a person with knowledge of the hiring said Thursday.

Kerr can't officially take the job until he completes his obligations as an analyst for TNT during the NBA playoffs. He is expected to be introduced at a news conference next week, said a person close to the situation who asked not to be identified because the official announcement had not been made.

Kerr is a close friend of Suns owner Robert Sarver and owns a small piece of the team. He would replace Mike D'Antoni, who held the titles of general manager and head coach. The move will allow D'Antoni to concentrate on coaching.

Kerr was part of the TNT crew at the Eastern Conference finals game in Detroit. He left the court at halftime with a cell phone in his ear.

"We're still talking at this point," he said when asked of the report. "I can't really say anything more at this point."

D'Antoni had held both titles after Bryan Colangelo resigned as president and general manager in February 2006 to take a similar post with the Toronto Raptors.

Link

For some reason I find this hilarious.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Wow. First thing he'll do is extend Nash with a clause in the extension that he gets to give Nash head every two weeks.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject:

The irony a Spurs homer being the GM of the Suns I can't believe he let up on the Spurs to notice other teams exist.
Lakers 71-72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject:

I see some years of worn out knee pads in the future. Jon Barry must be seething.
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
The irony a Spurs homer being the GM of the Suns I can't believe he let up on the Spurs to notice other teams exist.

He played for 5 other teams (Suns, Cavs, Bulls, Blazers, and Magic). I really don't think of him as a Spurs homer, and in comparison to some other announcers these days, he's not too bad.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject:

^ to each their own but when I used to watch NBA games on TNT I always muted him.

If he isn't lathering over the Spurs its Jordan. Spurs I could deal with but the Jordan love just kills me.

At least Reggie who played for only one team his entire career isn't a shameless homer he can say the Pacers suck (and he would be right)
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject:

How the heck did Steve Kerr land a GM job? Isaiah had an impressive basketball career on his resume and Ainge was a decent coach before either player became GMs.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject:

Why is it always the white boy that can shoot the ball? Steve Kerr, Danny Ainge, John Paxon, Kiki, Chris Mullin, etc..

I know there are black GM's in the league, but man, you must be blind not to think race & descrimination is involved in these decisions. Steve freaking Kerr? Craig Ehlo is on deck.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
How the heck did Steve Kerr land a GM job? Isaiah had an impressive basketball career on his resume and Ainge was a decent coach before either player became GMs.

John Paxson
Ernie Grunfeld
Danny Ferry
Rod Higgins
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject:

lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

You guys are missing the point! What have all these guys done as G.MS?? They've run their franchise's into the ground! YeS!! And i think he is part owner of the suns, miniority possibly. But cheers too Kerr killing the suns slowly
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Dude, his dad was assasinated in Lebanon... crazy.

Quote:
Kerr, 41, was born in Beirut, Lebanon. His father, president of American University in Beirut, was assassinated in 1984.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Why is it always the white boy that can shoot the ball? Steve Kerr, Danny Ainge, John Paxon, Kiki, Chris Mullin, etc..

I know there are black GM's in the league, but man, you must be blind not to think race & descrimination is involved in these decisions. Steve freaking Kerr? Craig Ehlo is on deck.

Yeah, but Jerry West was the best of them.
jsi106
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject:

is he still going to be writing articles for Yahoo Sports?
If not, then I have no more reason to visit that site, the other writer (Adrian Wojnarowski) writes nothing but negative hates on Kobe.
Hawkins
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Popovich coaches Kerr — into a career

Popovich coaches Kerr — into a career

Buck Harvey San Antonio Express-News

06/03/2007 LINK

Last month Gregg Popovich glared at Steve Kerr, and it brought back old memories. It was as if Kerr had failed to rotate on defense again.

Popovich flashed some anger, said a few words. They ended up having a good conversation, and later Kerr reacted as he did when he played for the Spurs. He did what Popovich said.

He chose one career.

.... Furthermore, he's another smart product of this hire-a-Spur era.

Those who have worked for the Spurs this century and who have gone on to other franchises are both a tribute to Popovich and a reflection of his franchise. The list ranges from Mike D'Antoni in Phoenix and Avery Johnson in Dallas, and from Danny Ferry and the mob of ex-Spurs in Cleveland to Kevin Pritchard, the general manager in Portland.

Now Sam Presti interviews in Seattle as P.J. Carlesimo waits for another coaching chance.

While each owes something to the Spurs organization, each can also go from being an old friend to a new enemy in the blink of a playoff series. No one understands this better than Kerr.

This started a few years ago. Then he became a Suns minority investor yet wanted to keep working for TNT and writing for Yahoo!

He always knew this could get sticky. When he traveled with the Suns to recruit Steve Nash, for example, he preferred to downplay his role.

Kerr didn't invent these conflicts of interest. Magic Johnson often sits on the TNT set, too, while also being part of the Lakers organization. Jalen Rose took that to another extreme; he reported for the network while suiting up for the Suns.

This isn't blurring the line. This is dunking on it.

Kerr tried to remedy this with his opinions. He picked the Spurs to beat the Suns two years ago, and he's so heavily praised the Spurs in recent years that some in other cities have seen him as a Spurs homer.

Then came the Horry-Nash controversy last month, and Kerr wrote what many said then. He hoped no one would be suspended.

But he also wrote something else that no one else had knowledge of at the time:
"However, if the league decides to suspend (Boris) Diaw and (Amare) Stoudemire, it may have to suspend Tim Duncan and Bruce Bowen as well. In a play that went entirely unnoticed until well after the game was over, both Duncan and Bowen actually left San Antonio's bench early in the second quarter after Francisco Elson and James Jones were entangled. Replays clearly show Duncan walking several steps onto the court as Elson and Jones appeared to be ready to get into it."

Take it from someone who has been wrong in print a few times over the last quarter of a century in San Antonio. There are times when writers wish they could take back a few words, if not entire ideas.

Kerr might have felt the same as soon as the next day. The NBA looked at the replays and didn't see anything.

Had another columnist written the same words, Kerr's story would have been taken as opinion and nothing more. But Kerr had advocated something others hadn't said except for, coincidentally, the Suns.

Was he acting as an observer? Or as a Suns investor?

Popovich rarely reacts to anything in print, but he glared at Kerr at their next encounter. Popovich also told him angrily: You are wearing too many hats.

According to those involved, Kerr felt awful about this. And perhaps after always weighing money and family and desire, this was the final push Kerr needed to take Sarver's offer.

Kerr doesn't have much front-office experience, but he will do fine. He's too smart not to.

And if Kerr figures out a few things for the Suns, then the Spurs should know whom to blame for yet another of their own succeeding elsewhere.

Yet again, Popovich.
lfan123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
Wow. First thing he'll do is extend Nash with a clause in the extension that he gets to give Nash head every two weeks.

Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/01/20/steve-kerr-has-regrets-over-time-as-suns-gm-with-mike-dantoni-as-coach/

Quote:
Steve Kerr has “regrets” over time as Suns GM with Mike D’Antoni as coach
By Kurt HelinJan 20, 2018, 10:00 AM EST
Leave a comment

Saturday night, Steve Kerr and Mike D’Antoni will square off as the coaches of the two best teams in the NBA this season (the Warriors and Rockets), teams loaded with offensive talent that play fast — Kerr and D’Antoni have some of the same basic philosophies about the game. Right now they have a mutual admiration society going.

But remember when Kerr took over as the general manager of the “seven seconds or less” Suns? Then traded for Shaq, which was the first step in D’Antono going out the door to New York.

Kerr opened up about his regrets from that era to Mark Medina of the San Jose Mercury News.

“I have some regrets,” Kerr said. “I think we had a few differences that I probably didn’t handle very well as a GM that I could’ve probably handled better, especially given that we really like each other and have a lot of similar viewpoints on the game.”

The Suns were a contender, but not one that could get over the hump of the peak San Antonio Spurs of the mid-2000s (it was more than just the year Robert Horry hip-checked Steve Nash into the boards and A’mare Stoudemire got nailed for leaving the bench). Kerr felt the need to do something, so he traded Shawn Marion for an over-the-hill Shaquille O’Neal who did not at all fit the Suns’ style. That move ended an era, and the next summer D’Antoni signed in New York (with a front office that never gave him the pieces for his style of play).

“I should have let Mike know, ‘It’s okay, keep kicking [butt] and keep going, and we’ll make some moves that aren’t so radical that fit more with who we are as an organization,” Kerr said. “We swung for the fences, and it was not the right move to make as an organization. I didn’t envision that as GM. I didn’t have the macro view of what we needed to do….

“I needed to tell Mike, ‘It’s okay if we don’t win the championship,’” Kerr said. “We were so desperate to win. But not everybody can win. But what you can do is keep putting yourself in a position to get there. Then maybe the breaks fall your way.”

Kerr said he’s matured in the way he views the game and team building since then. That is evident in the way the Warriors have been built, with a big-picture view of everything that gets done — they win not only because they are loaded with talent but how that talent fits together. However, they are really an extension of the changes D’Antoni brought to the NBA in Phoenix, just with better defense and some ridiculous shooters.

After stints in New York and Los Angeles with rosters that were ill-suited for his style, D’Antoni is winning big again in Houston because James Harden was really a point guard and GM Daryl Morey has put the right pieces around him to play D’Antoni’s style.

But once again D’Antoni seems just short of a ring because a legendary team — and Steve Kerr — is in the way.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject:

The above article annoys me, with no mention of the Kobe-Pau Lakers that I think was more of an impetus to the Suns getting Shaq.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Dayum man, stop digging up these old threads! Thought Kerr was leaving GS! Lmao
tnell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Holy bumpage lol
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Dayum man, stop digging up these old threads! Thought Kerr was leaving GS! Lmao

So did I

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:38 am    Post subject:

we landed on the moon
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: