POLL: What Do You Want Out Of A PF?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What Do You Want Out Of A PF?
Offensive Game (18+ ppg)
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Defense (man-to-man, 1.5-2.0 bpg, intimidator)
36%
 36%  [ 9 ]
Rebounder (10-12 rpg)
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Three Item Combo (6'9" - in shoes, 245lbs, 12 ppg, 9 rpg, 1.2 bpg)
48%
 48%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 25

And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: POLL: What Do You Want Out Of A PF?

Unlike last year's draft which saw a couple of PF prospects that seemed to have complete games (i.e. size, offense, defense, intangibles), the 2005 draft crop seems to include players that seem to excel in only one (or in some cases, maybe two) areas. With this in mind, please rank the most important quality a PF could have for this Laker team.

After you vote, please tell me which player (available in draft or possibly via trade) which best matches what you want.
djb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Three item combo, but taller than 6'9 in shoes.

Last edited by djb on Sat May 21, 2005 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject:

djb wrote:
Three item combo, but taller than 6'9 in hoes.

Just curious, but...

Suppose the player in the three item combo gave you the same state line, but was 6-10. What's the diff?

Oh yeah, name a player that fits your criteria.
4 Pointer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject:

A guy that is similar stats wise to the 3 item combo is Drew Gooden, he's a little bit short on the blocks though.
djb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject:

6'9 in shoes means about 6'8 flat footed.

I tend to consider 6'9 and under undersized to play PF in the West, so unless this guy was a really bulky bruiser down low, he'd be eaten up by the 7 foot power forwards (Duncan, Garnett, Nowitzki, Gasol etc.).

Then there are even guys like Boozer, Martin, Nene, Stoudemire (plays center, but is a 4), Brand, etc. who, although not 7 foot+, are bulky and strong and bang relentlessly in the low post.

Of course there are exceptions, the aforementioned Brand for example, of smaller guys excelling at the 4 spot, but those kinds of guys are a rarity, and i'd rather have a guy who's an inch or two taller and 10 pounds or so heavier, and not take the chance.
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject:

djb wrote:

I tend to consider 6'9 and under undersized to play PF in the West, so unless this guy was a really bulky bruiser down low, he'd be eaten up by the 7 foot power forwards (Duncan, Garnett, Nowitzki, Gasol etc.).

Then there are even guys like Boozer, Martin, Nene, Stoudemire (plays center, but is a 4), Brand, etc. who, although not 7 foot+, are bulky and strong and bang relentlessly in the low post.

Of course there are exceptions, the aforementioned Brand for example, of smaller guys excelling at the 4 spot, but those kinds of guys are a rarity, and i'd rather have a guy who's an inch or two taller and 10 pounds or so heavier, and not take the chance.

How has that extra "inch or two" worked out for Slava and Cook?
djb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject:

And 1 wrote:
djb wrote:

I thought we were talking about potential starters here, not bench warming stiffs.
DNA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject:

And 1 wrote:
djb wrote:
Three item combo, but taller than 6'9 in hoes.

Just curious, but...

Suppose the player in the three item combo gave you the same state line, but was 6-10. What's the diff?

Oh yeah, name a player that fits your criteria.

Taft
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject:

djb wrote:
And 1 wrote:
djb wrote:

I thought we were talking about potential starters here, not bench warming stiffs.

I guess it would be beneficial if I had a better understanding of your position.

I understand that defense can be comprised of elements that do not necessarily appear on a stat sheet (i.e. intimidation, willingness to provide help, toughness, etc.).

Now, suppose you have two guys - one 6'9" (in shoes) and the other 6'11" (in shoes) that are both giving you 9 rpg and 1.2 bpg. Are you saying that it's more likely that the player who's 6'11" will be giving you those intangibles that were previously mentioned? If that were the case, then, defensive-wise, you'd be more comfortable with Zach Randolph than...say, Wayne Simien or Ike Diogu? I didn't think so.

Let's advance the arguement forward to say that a Brian Cook has the potential to become a better defender than a Simien or Diogu based upon his size. Then I believe that we're back to square one, because, until Cook reaches that potential (which will be never) he's no different than the 6'9" player, right?
AllBlues
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 6:08 am    Post subject:

Defence.

The western conference is the land of the bigs. I think we need a tough defender to compete. The offence already exists on this team.....even if Lamar or Caron are traded.
nextphenom23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject:

I dont think we need just a defender in the draft they have to provide offense to. because then we get a guy who cant give us alot of minutes because he's one dimesional

The Spurs will never live up to the dynasty we created
bumrusherer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject:

just a normal 4... grabs boards, scores on 2nd chance oppourtunitys, strong.

basically the type of ball brian grant played in miami
And 1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject:

djb, AllBlues, nextphenom23, bumrusherer:

name a player that best suits your criteria
KB8@LG
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject:

I hope he canĀ“t shoot from outside. The horrific performence of Cook at "power"forward this year killed my health. He is more a shooting forward
Defense is the A and Z of the game. This year we had nearly 99 points and thats decent but we allowed 101. Thats horrible. Offense is always appreciated and this time needed not because we need points but because we need an inside game. A threat that can bring opponents PFs and Cs in foul trouble. Someone who can score in zone D. Someone for the dirty work who blocks shots.We need Marcus Camby(PIPE)
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject:

Someone capable of carrying the load that Brian Grant cannot (or will not). I don't care if we have an under-sized 6-8 power forward, if the result is a much better player than we have gotten with the taller Brian Cook's and Slava's of the world. Taft, Ike, would seem to fit the bill. Boozer could do the job; I really like Chris Wilcox, but he is probably not available, to us anyway. Another poster mentioned Wilcox and Magg's going to Seattle for a re-signed Ray Allen, and I could see that happening.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject:

Splitter, Taft or Vasquez at PF.
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject:

Combo of 2 & 3.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject:

I think I would like Tim Duncan. Surely Chucky, Butler, Odom, and an ending contract would get him.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject:

A PF that actually plays in the paint.
AllBlues
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject:

And 1 wrote:
djb, AllBlues, nextphenom23, bumrusherer:

name a player that best suits your criteria

I'd like any of the bigs that might still be remaining at 10. Splitter, Vasquez, Diogu, Taft, Petro. All those guys read like good prospects. Granted, I think we need to get another 1st round pick to target Jack/Rocko type.

As far as FA. I think the birdman needs to be our priority. Chris might not be the stud you all are looking for but I do think he will fill the void. He even has the potential to surprise if the chemistry works.

Slim pickn's folks.

I here alot of talk of splitting the MLE to get him but I'm not sure that gonna cut it. To many teams wil have eyes for him.
KwamesMyGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject:

AllBlues wrote:
Defence.

The western conference is the land of the bigs. I think we need a tough defender to compete. The offence already exists on this team.....even if Lamar or Caron are traded.

1 odom already gave us those numbers

2 butler & odom are our offense outside of kobe
AllBlues
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject:

THE_BUTLER_DID_IT wrote:
AllBlues wrote:
Defence.

1 odom already gave us those numbers

2 butler & odom are our offense outside of kobe

1 Odom must not play PF for another year. We need someone with the body and athleticism to bang and swat.

2 Move only one of them to fill one of the 2 black holes we have in our starting line-up. Develop another offensive option during the season.

I love Butler and Odom but having both of them is a luxury we can't afford with the current state of the team. Fix the starting line-up first then work on filling your bench with the right role players.

There are so many better writers than me on this board that have made excellent arguments regarding this subject. I'm with them when it comes to the idea of moving either Caron or Lamar. It needs to be done.
KwamesMyGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject:

i wouldnt trade either guy. well maybe butler but we need odoms rebounds and odom was fine at pf it was our team defense that was bad. their isnt a pf that can contain the duncans & kgs. at the same time odom is one of the best rebounding power forwards so why move him to sf to avg less rebounds?
Justwar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Give me the Charles Oakley prototype. 6'9" 245, mean, plays with heart, has a great mid range jumper, great passer.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject:

Tim Duncan
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: