Garnett update thread (KG Thread Winding Down, RSVP for the Summer 2012...)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 117, 118, 119 ... 190, 191, 192  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DSF_27
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Rosen likes KG to LA over others...

UPDATE:

Rosen says it makes the most sense for KG to help out his buddy in L.A.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6978156

No surprise considering his relationship with Phil Jackson.
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
The KG to Lakers dream is not dead yet! We still have our chances and if Mitch could be a bit creative he could probably put a package together that Mchale would bite on!
But, most likely, any deal the Wolves would "bite on", would also bite the Lakers in the ass later on. KG IS one rare basketball talent, but he IS only ONE player, it would be foolhardy to gut the team of all that youth, because that deal would probably have to include some future draft picks as well, the Lakers would be locked in with NO room to deal for several seasons.

No matter how you slice it, Kobe/KG and 12 D-Leaguers aren't winning anything in this league.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject:

now we just have to get Rosen hired as wolves GM.
DSF_27
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject:

Quote:
What with all the rumors, the affirmations, and the denials coming out of Minnesota, one thing is clear: The T-Wolves absolutely must trade Kevin Garnett.
The only other alternative is for Glen Taylor to start writing checks humongous enough to attract one or more blue-chip free agents like Chauncey Billups, Rashard Lewis, Vince Carter or Gerald Wallace. While doing this would certainly subject the Wolves to an equally humongous over-the-cap surcharge, necessity is often the forerunner of humongous profits. Since players do not receive paychecks during the playoffs, Taylor would probably recoup his expenditures should his team advance into the second round.
It's all about priming the pump. Spending money to make money.
Barring this foray into adventurous capitalism, there will be no way for the Wolves to significantly enhance their roster by any other means. Dealing Mike James and Justin Reed for Juwan Howard is not nearly enough of a tweak for KG to regain his lost enthusiasm and relish playing another season in Minnesota. Nor do the Wolves have sufficient remaining chips to make a meaningful trade.
The only real questions left are these: Where will Garnett wind up? And which possible destination is best for him?
Apparently, the only exchange that Kevin McHale will agree to with Phoenix is KG (and several warm bodies) for Amare Stoudemire (and several warm bodies). Too bad neither Garnett nor Stoudemire would find any degree of solace by changing places.
Garnett in Phoenix wouldn't work simply because KG cannot run with Steve Nash. Garnett has always been a go-from-a-stop player. Having to receive the ball, and then make appropriate decisions while at full speed would displace Garnett from his comfort zone. For sure, his occasional running dunk would be dramatic, but so would KG's turnovers, poor passes and weary legs.
Since Stoudemire is an excellent finisher and a subpar creator, he'll find that life without Nash will be a nightmare of battling his way through double-teams. Operating on his own, Stoudemire will be forced into putting up many more difficult shots than he's used to taking, and his shooting percentage will plummet.
Any swap involving Garnett for Stoudemire would be bad for both teams.
Another widely rumored transaction features KG going to the Lakers for Lamar Odom and Andrew Bynum. In fact, this would be Garnett's best possible destination. Playing in the triangle would maximize Garnett's versatility, i.e., his ability to pass, and to score from both the high- and the low-post, as well as minimizing the body contact (invariably with bigger, stronger opponents) that working in other offensive schemes would subject him to. Garnett would likewise thrive in the unselfish game plan preached by Phil Jackson.
But the biggest plus in KG's suiting up for the Lakers would be the presence of Kobe Bryant. The fact is that Garnett is NOT a franchise player. He lacks the clutch-time charisma and reliability to carry a ball club deep into playoff competition. Only rarely does he reach out and grab a vital ball game by the throat.
Garnett is a counter-puncher, a shadow-boxer.
Living in Kobe's long shadow, and having Kobe responsible for producing in virtually all end-game situations, would free Garnett to play under greatly reduced pressure. Perhaps Garnett's scoring totals would decrease, but his shooting percentage would sky-rocket.
At the other end of the transaction, Odom would be a monster with the majority of Minnesota's offense going through him. He could easily post Garnett-like numbers with the Wolves.

Of course there's the problem of Odom's most recent shoulder surgery. There's obviously some kind of structural weakness in his left shoulder that the latest surgery either will or will not cure. However, with an agreeable prognosis from the surgeons, Odom would present a risk well worth the taking.
Bynum is a potential stud in the middle whose resume is insufficient in only two particulars: Experience. And work ethic. Hopefully, and presumably, Bynum's relocating from the Hollywood Lakers to the Wolves' winter wonderland would get him to take the game and his own considerable abilities much more seriously.
It's easy to project Bynum as eventually becoming an 18-10 man in the middle. A rare commodity.
Despite the pieces fitting so neatly together, it seems unlikely that McHale will ever enter into any deal with the Lakers. That's because there's too much bad blood still congealed in his memory bank from the fierce rivalry that existed between Boston and Los Angeles during his playing career.
The guess is that McHale would much rather do business with Danny Ainge. But with the Celtics' blockbuster trade on draft day, that avenue seems to be closed.
The latest entry into the Garnett sweepstakes is the Dallas Mavericks. The Mavs would probably seek to unload most of their trash — Austin Croshere, Erick Dampier, Devean George and Jason Terry, while including bona-fide players such as Devin Harris or Josh Howard. While the Wolves might try to dump flotsam like Ricky Davis, Troy Hudson, Marko Jaric, Mark Blount and Mark Madsen combined with semi-legitimate talents such as Trenton Hassell and Craig Smith. But it's hard to imagine the Wolves accepting any package that fails to include Dirk Nowitzki.
Trouble is that a Nowitzki-Garnett swap would be a lateral move for both teams since both of these guys are high-scoring stars that fail in the clutch.
Nothing would be accomplished in this unlikely scenario except a change of address for a pair of big-name players.
The Warriors have also been trying to pry Garnett loose. Nearly everybody who's ever played for Nellie swears they've had a good time. That's because Nellie mostly lets his guys play one-on-one or two-on-two ball with few restrictions.
There's no doubt that Garnett might also enjoy running loose in Oakland. But does he really long to play harum-scarum basketball for a team that's perpetually destined to fall at the hands of the first disciplined team they face in the playoffs? If that kind of spectacular, individualistic, yet frivolous game plan appeals to Garnett, then all the less power to him.
In lieu of any other possible deals, the Lakers are the Big Ticket's best possible destination.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject:

I like it too. So it means it's gonna happen, right?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject:

what else is new? we've known this for a while...Mchale just needs to realize this...
DSF_27
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:

Its a pretty stupid article...a feeble attempt to persuade Minnesota to trade KG to the Lakers.

Im sure Minny doesn't give a crap how well KG would "work out" in his possible destinations. What they care about is how the players they would acquire would work out.

He does a poor job of persuading Minny that Bynum and Odom would do any better than they did in L.A.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject:

Did PJ commission this article from Rosen, or did Rosen just write it purely out of his usual PJ-jocking agenda?

That said - I hope what he wrote comes true.
NickF
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject:

Odom isn't going to post KG like numbers if he goes to T-Wolves, Rosen is on crack.
freshprince
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject:

well lets hope the t-pubs bite..they are running out of options ..the got a nice wing player in brewer.. foye from last year to cement the backcourt. you add a low post in bynum you got some building blocks for the future.. lets hope lurch does not let this opportunity fall by the waste side due to the fact he bleeds celtic green and does not want to deal with the lakers. glad we are out of clicks from high school!
som3on3_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Garnett in Phoenix wouldn't work simply because KG cannot run with Steve Nash. Garnett has always been a go-from-a-stop player. Having to receive the ball, and then make appropriate decisions while at full speed would displace Garnett from his comfort zone. For sure, his occasional running dunk would be dramatic, but so would KG's turnovers, poor passes and weary legs.

Quote:
Another widely rumored transaction features KG going to the Lakers for Lamar Odom and Andrew Bynum. In fact, this would be Garnett's best possible destination. Playing in the triangle would maximize Garnett's versatility, i.e., his ability to pass, and to score from both the high- and the low-post, as well as minimizing the body contact (invariably with bigger, stronger opponents) that working in other offensive schemes would subject him to. Garnett would likewise thrive in the unselfish game plan preached by Phil Jackson.

First he says KG would make poor passes in Phoenix, but then praises his "ability" to pass in LA. :roll: I think he's a little confused. Nonetheless, I hope he is correct. C'mon KG, come to Hollywood!
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject:

som3on3_10 wrote:
First he says KG would make poor passes in Phoenix, but then praises his "ability" to pass in LA. :roll: I think he's a little confused. Nonetheless, I hope he is correct. C'mon KG, come to Hollywood!

Ummm, I think you are confused. Rosen says that KG would have increased turnovers playing at the speed Phoenix plays and his passing skills would be diminished. He then states that playing in a disciplined, half-court offense, KG's passing would be maximized. This is a pretty straightforward argument. Some guys are half-court players, some thrive in fast, open court style games.
som3on3_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
som3on3_10 wrote:

Ummm, I think you are confused. Rosen says that KG would have increased turnovers playing at the speed Phoenix plays and his passing skills would be diminished. He then states that playing in a disciplined, half-court offense, KG's passing would be maximized. This is a pretty straightforward argument. Some guys are half-court players, some thrive in fast, open court style games.

I don't think I'm really that confused. A good passer is a good passer regardless of the playing style. So you mean to tell me that Nash is only a good passer on the break? He can't pass for jack in the half court game? :roll:
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject:

som3on3_10 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

No he's right. KG is a good passer. But like he said KG would have many TO's in a high flow running offense. KG just would not flourish in an environment like that.

---George Carlin
ryuvienco
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject:

DSF_27 wrote:
encina1 wrote:

Its a pretty stupid article...a feeble attempt to persuade Minnesota to trade KG to the Lakers.

Im sure Minny doesn't give a crap how well KG would "work out" in his possible destinations. What they care about is how the players they would acquire would work out.

He does a poor job of persuading Minny that Bynum and Odom would do any better than they did in L.A.

I wouldn't call it stupid. I think its well thought out. Rosen is ridiculous sometimes, but this article, as Laker favored as it is, makes sense.
PDX_LAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject:

Kevin Mchale: "I can't be a part of a Lakers' success to trump the Celtics total number of titles, I rather lose him to free agency."
som3on3_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject:

Laker_in_Tulsa wrote:
som3on3_10 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

No he's right. KG is a good passer. But like he said KG would have many TO's in a high flow running offense. KG just would not flourish in an environment like that.

I'd actually beg to differ. KG's passing in a high flowing offense wouldn't diminish because Nash would be running the break. All KG would have to do is finish. How many times do you see Amare or Marion have to make passes on the break? All they have to do is catch the ball and finish, which KG is VERY good at. He may need to make a second interior pass here and there, but how is that any different from making a pass in a halfcourt set?
LVLAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject:

som3on3_10 wrote:
Laker_in_Tulsa wrote:
som3on3_10 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

I'd actually beg to differ. KG's passing in a high flowing offense wouldn't diminish because Nash would be running the break. All KG would have to do is finish. How many times do you see Amare or Marion have to make passes on the break? All they have to do is catch the ball and finish, which KG is VERY good at. He may need to make a second interior pass here and there, but how is that any different from making a pass in a halfcourt set?

Shhhhhh. Don't tell anyone. If lakers want to get KG we need to put on a campaign to get him. Everybody at LG needs to go to other team boards and pretend you are a fan of their team and talk about how tight Odom and Bynum are going to be if you could only land them on your team. Then we need to go to Minnesota boards and slam on KG and how much he makes and how old he is and he's not worth taking at this stage in his career.

I think the reason we didn't get KG is because everyone was slamming Kwame and Odom and Minnesota fans send emails to managment saying "we don't want these guys, the Lakers despise these players".

To the message boards everyone.
AD/MORRIS/DUDLEY
GASOL/HARRELL/TINKLE
Coachs:Vogel/Kidd
LVLAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject:

I don't even want KG. I'd rather have Odom who is still entering his prime and Bynum will easily be an 18 and 12 player in two years from now.

I don't want KG, let PHoenix ruin the chemistry they have for an overpaid player who has more minutes on him than shaq.
AD/MORRIS/DUDLEY
GASOL/HARRELL/TINKLE
som3on3_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject:

LVLAKERFAN wrote:
I don't even want KG. I'd rather have Odom who is still entering his prime and Bynum will easily be an 18 and 12 player in two years from now.

I don't want KG, let PHoenix ruin the chemistry they have for an overpaid player who has more minutes on him than shaq.

Agreed. And KG's elbows are way too sharp anyhow. We all know Kobe hates guys with sharp elbows. Send him to Phoenix dammit. KG will be lucky to put up #'s like Luke in LA.
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject:

Great One wrote:
clutchkobe wrote:
the lakers need to go to the bulls and offer lamar odom for noah and a resigned p.j brown for one year. mchale love noah and all florida gators and offer noah, bynum, kwame, mckie and farmar for k.g. also maybe they can do a sign and trade for nicioni..(i know the spelling is wrong)

why would they want to do this when they can just send Noah, thomas, and a

resigned Pj brown for themselvs.

point is do they want to deal with his trade kicker?

this doesnt add up to 24 mil. and with the trade kicker you are talking 29mil....how do they afford this.
BallerAli
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject:

Rosen is one of the best. If you dont want KG then you dont want Kobe. If it makes Kobe happy and convinces him to stay, im all for it. It might even make the Lakers better.
Flatlyner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject:

LVLAKERFAN wrote:

I'm with you here. I'd rather stick with what we got then give away all our assets for someone that is on the other side of 30 with 13 years of playing ball already. He might not have been injury prone in his career, but, he is now aging and that causes injuries.
LVLAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject:

Can anyone make a sick Odom and Bynum mix?
AD/MORRIS/DUDLEY
GASOL/HARRELL/TINKLE
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject:

som3on3_10 wrote:
I don't think I'm really that confused. A good passer is a good passer regardless of the playing style. So you mean to tell me that Nash is only a good passer on the break? He can't pass for jack in the half court game? :roll:

So all players are equally adept at all speeds?

Nash, sure. Kidd, sure. But you're talking outliers--the best of the best. LO might be among the few passing bigs that could play at Phoenix's tempo--and even LO is turnover prone. KG does not get his assists on the break, he gets them in a half court offense. If KG could get assists on the break you'd see a lot more of KG taking rebounds the length of the court and dishing to guys on the break. That isn't his skill--his skill is using his height and court vision to pick apart defenses in the half court.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 117, 118, 119 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Page 118 of 192
Jump to: