LAKERS -vs- BUCKS - 7/8 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings (Lite)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject:

Are these games being shown only on NBA league pass?

Thanks in advance.
lakerstan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject:

Here's my experience from yesterday:

Got there early and saw the Portland/Dallas game - Oden was near fouling out (again - and mind you, you can have 10 fouls in Summer Pro League games before fouling out).

After the game was over, I headed out to get a snack and saw a line of people and a sign "1 Portland Trailblazer signing autographs". Speculation, which turned out to be correct, was that it was Greg Oden - so I figured, "why not?". I got my autograph, and my wife took my picture with him.

If he is under 40 years old, I'm an embryo.

I ended up missing the first 10 minutes of the Laker game (which I hear wasn't great anyway). As Dancing Barry mentioned, Farmar was sub-par and JCritt was awesome. His explosion to the hole was fantastic...and the game winner - nice.

During the game there was certainly some anti-Mitch heckling going on. One guy five rows in front of me, in particular, would wait for a quiet point in the game and start calling out Mitch. He held a big sign saying "What Now, Mitch?". Said things like "Waive your magic wand!" and "Don't screw it up!". He was entertaining, but I could see how he might get on the casual fan's nerves. Apparently Jim Buss was there, but I didn't see him. The guy kept saying "Hey Buss Boy - do something!"

Another guy was there with a "Future GM" sign with an arrow pointing down at his kid.

After the game, I went over to where Mitch was and, though I had an opportunity to do some ribbing of my own, figured he got the message. I asked him to sign my program and said "Looks like you've got yourself a nice little draft pick there". He coldly said, "Thanks" and scurried to a nearby elevator.

Then I saw Bill Bertka just sitting by himself. I went up to him and said "Hey coach, would you please sign my program - It's an honor to meet you". I tell you - he was the friendliest guy. He gave me a great big smile like I just made his day. As I looked down and watched him sign my program, I saw his championship ring on his hand. Bertka and championships....ah, the good old days.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB .. Appreciate the effort.

I wouldn't jump all over Farmar for a bad game, I recall Andrew had a few of those last SPL but wound up having a great training camp + early part of the regular season. But hopefully he has some big games because Andrew had those too. We need Jordan to have some 20 point, 10 assist games.

DB - Who would you compare Crittenton to, NBA wise? Is Jamal Crawford a decent comparison, upside wise? That's my comparison ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject:

If only there were a way to save Kobe's legs to bridge teh gap between our young core's development and his window.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
jmnluvr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject:

Crittenton looked really comfortable and efficient running the offense. I always think of Crawford as someone a lot more shot-happy. Plus it looks like theres some good defense potential in Crittenton.

I thought of Billups minus the heft.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
If only there were a way to save Kobe's legs to bridge teh gap between our young core's development and his window.

Kobe on Nov 1st, 2007 ... mysteriously slips in the showers and suffers an injury.

Lakers team sans Kobe somehow like last season starts off well, and mantains a .500 record up until All-Star break. Then Kobe comes back .. assures the Lakers a playoff spot where they ofcourse lose again in the 1st round.

Only this time, Kobe's played 20-30 regular season and 1 round of the playoffs.

Lakers open up capspace in 2008 through letting Kwame walk and dealing Radmanovic at deadline for X-contract. They sign Artest with the capspace attained in 2008.

Bynum (14/8/2)
Odom (17/9/5),
Artest (15/5/3/2),
Kobe,(27/5/5)
Crittenton (13/4)

Key reserves: Turiaf, Cook, Walton, Farmar.

(I won't let my dream die !)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Ko8e8ryant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
I'd rather read your recaps than fastforward through the game itself.

That first quarter was hell until Critt came in the game. The last minute and a half was damn ugly, too, until the game winner. The Tri execution is always gawd awful in these first SPL games.

No joke. I left the chat to get better connection, only to see the poorly executed triangle put me to sleep. I pulled up the play by play and watch Java's highlights.

Haven't had a talent like this since Bryant. Young. Near elitely athletic. Great size. Every kind of NBA skill needed. Just need to put it all together.

Go niners!
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject:

lakerstan wrote:

During the game there was certainly some anti-Mitch heckling going on. One guy five rows in front of me, in particular, would wait for a quiet point in the game and start calling out Mitch. He held a big sign saying "What Now, Mitch?". Said things like "Waive your magic wand!" and "Don't screw it up!". He was entertaining, but I could see how he might get on the casual fan's nerves. Apparently Jim Buss was there, but I didn't see him. The guy kept saying "Hey Buss Boy - do something!"

pic

Quote:
ESPN Insider: Lakers rookie point guard Javaris Crittenton had a very strong debut Sunday, scoring 18 points on 8-for-13 shooting and hitting the game-winning 3-pointer to defeat the Bucks. Crittendon came off the bench behind Jordan Farmar, who shot just 1-for-8 with seven fouls, six turnovers and just one assist.

Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak told me the team was still looking to sign a free agent point guard after the signing moratorium ends July 11, but I'm hearing the Lakers -- and the Heat, too -- are unwilling to commit their full mid-level extension to unrestricted free agent Steve Blake.

• Kupchak, by the way, ignored a vocal group of hecklers, Lakers fans, one of whom had a handmade sign reading "Mitch & What Now?"

I also asked Kupchak where things stood between the Lakers and Kobe Bryant, and whether Bryant had withdrawn his trade request, but the only answer I got was, "Those types of discussions regarding Kobe and management, we won't disclose that type of strategic information."

magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

Kobe on Nov 1st, 2007 ... mysteriously slips in the showers and suffers an injury.

Lakers team sans Kobe somehow like last season starts off well, and mantains a .500 record up until All-Star break. Then Kobe comes back .. assures the Lakers a playoff spot where they ofcourse lose again in the 1st round.

Only this time, Kobe's played 20-30 regular season and 1 round of the playoffs.

Lakers open up capspace in 2008 through letting Kwame walk and dealing Radmanovic at deadline for X-contract. They sign Artest with the capspace attained in 2008.

Bynum (14/8/2)
Odom (17/9/5),
Artest (15/5/3/2),
Kobe,(27/5/5)
Crittenton (13/4)

Key reserves: Turiaf, Cook, Walton, Farmar.

(I won't let my dream die !)

Here's my whole thing about this season:

If the team can't make the necessary deals for KG or JO, then they absolutely HAVE to find a way to save Kobe's legs. No more kids on the court with Kobe, because kids tend to shrink under pressure alongside Kobe. It's not his fault, it's just the nature of the beast, even LO shrinks noticeably from time to time.

So, as I've been saying for the last year, they have to find some way to save Kobe's legs to bridge that gap between he and the young core.

I really wish the Lakers, Phil, and Kobe would consider him shutting it down for a considerable amount of time. That would work 3-fold - it would force Lamar into a situation where he takes responsibility of the team, allows the young guys to learn what it takes to be relied on so heavily within a winning environment, and it saves Kobe's legs.

Assuming Kobe hasn't already decided that he'll be sitting this season, the team should strongly consider it. It's the only way the team can successfully manage the future hopes. Find a way to save Kobe's legs and within a year or two, the team could have a collection of young talent to play around Kobe and succeed for a 3-5 year window.

As much as I hate the thought of bringing him back, I've began considering Fisher back on the team for half the MLE. Then, you either trade for or sign a good 2-way perimeter player at 2/3 - someone that will take the brunt of the defensive duties from Bryant. Or add a scorer that can handle some of that load from Kobe.

Do those few things, and I think it may, May, MAY be possible to save Kobe's legs long enough to make wolf's dream come true - "Let them gel."
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Ben0075
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject:

^So are you saying Kobe should sit out games and jeopardize winning as a result? What you must want us in the lottery?
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject:

Ben0075 wrote:
^So are you saying Kobe should sit out games and jeopardize winning as a result? What you must want us in the lottery?

No. I'm saying Kobe should sit it out for a while, but Phil should coach the team with the purpose of trying to make the playoffs sans Kobe. Put responsibility on Odom, Turiaf, Farmar, and Crittenton to the point that they realize they CAN play and be a part of a winning environment.

When Kobe returns, maybe they're less likely to play so passively and constantly deferring to Kobe.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject:

Come on, DB, no slacking. I've been waiting all morning for your in-depth analysis of Dalron Johnson and Jeff Graves.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
the feed was too grainy for me to actually watch it. Can anyone give me an idea on his speed? Is Kobe like speed? Is it arenas like speed? wade speed? Parker speed?

It's too difficult to comment on his top sprint speed because he's going against summer league competition, but I did notice that he has good footspeed and stop/start capability.

As you know, basketball is more about change of direction and change of pace than it is just flat-out sprint speed.

And IMO Crittenton has a great change of pace.
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject:

Ko8e8ryant wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

That first quarter was hell until Critt came in the game. The last minute and a half was damn ugly, too, until the game winner. The Tri execution is always gawd awful in these first SPL games.

No joke. I left the chat to get better connection, only to see the poorly executed triangle put me to sleep. I pulled up the play by play and watch Java's highlights.

Haven't had a talent like this since Bryant. Young. Near elitely athletic. Great size. Every kind of NBA skill needed. Just need to put it all together.

Go niners!

remember when BY and Stubblefield were the best DT tandem in the league?
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject:

lakerstan wrote:

After the game was over, I headed out to get a snack and saw a line of people and a sign "1 Portland Trailblazer signing autographs". Speculation, which turned out to be correct, was that it was Greg Oden - so I figured, "why not?". I got my autograph, and my wife took my picture with him.

Oden does not look his reported age, just like LaBron does not.

I have to wonder if there is some sort of genetic quirk going on that makes them mature and age faster than the norm. Explains the filled-out bodies at 18 and 19 when most males take longer to reach their mature size and musculature. And the facial lines at such a young age.

If so, maybe they will continue to age faster than usual?? We'll see in a few years if LaBron starts taking longer to heal up after injury tweaks, etc.

Or else somebody is just lying about their age...
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject:

DB, thanks for the recap.

After weeks of no real news and mud slinging between the various LG factions it's good to get back to basketball, even if just the SPL.

Last edited by SweetP on Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
themangler
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject:

thanks for the update, DB. It's great to have some good news for a change and something with the Lakers to look forward to.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject:

lakerstan wrote:
<snipped>
Then I saw Bill Bertka just sitting by himself. I went up to him and said "Hey coach, would you please sign my program - It's an honor to meet you". I tell you - he was the friendliest guy. He gave me a great big smile like I just made his day. As I looked down and watched him sign my program, I saw his championship ring on his hand. Bertka and championships....ah, the good old days.

Yep, the good old days. I met him at a bar in Playa del Ray back in the 80's -- he was with a buddy. We started talking about basketball and we talked for about 2 hours! He was extremely nice and a perfect gentlemen.

Thanks for the recap.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Are these games being shown only on NBA league pass?

Thanks in advance.

NBA-TV has some of the games and the rest are shown on NBA.com as streaming video -- though it's hard to get their link to work. Link to schedule.

Your best bet is to check the "Chatroom for the SPL" thread at game time and someone will post a Windows Media link that works.
jrod88
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

You don't know how extremely excited I am to hear that.
tw-lakbfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject:

lakerstan wrote:
Here's my experience from yesterday:

Got there early and saw the Portland/Dallas game - Oden was near fouling out (again - and mind you, you can have 10 fouls in Summer Pro League games before fouling out).

I ended up missing the first 10 minutes of the Laker game (which I hear wasn't great anyway). As Dancing Barry mentioned, Farmar was sub-par and JCritt was awesome. His explosion to the hole was fantastic...and the game winner - nice.

Another guy was there with a "Future GM" sign with an arrow pointing down at his kid.

After the game, I went over to where Mitch was and, though I had an opportunity to do some ribbing of my own, figured he got the message. I asked him to sign my program and said "Looks like you've got yourself a nice little draft pick there". He coldly said, "Thanks" and scurried to a nearby elevator.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It's alway nice to read the on spot stories.

Encouraging about Crittenton.

Funny about Mitch.
tw-lakbfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject:

You can watch the archived game here:

NBATV
Ko8e8ryant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Mr. EiGhTy-OnE wrote:
Ko8e8ryant wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

Go niners!

remember when BY and Stubblefield were the best DT tandem in the league?

hell ya those guys tore it up

niners gonna be good or at least improved this season

man im really doing a number on this thread
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Other than the missed FTs, Javaris played with real confidence. Even more so than Farmar last year. The explosiveness and ability to change direction are all there on offense. Someone mentioned a comparison with Baron Davis. I don't think Javaris is at that level -- not yet anyways -- but he made a nice showing for himself. He does remind me of someone, but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe a more-in-control Ricky Davis, with true PG instincts?

I'l ponder this.

SGH
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Great job DB! Thanks for the insight!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: