How do you save money?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: How do you save money?

I recently checked out the AAA perqs for being a member. One of the ways is to buy a book of 10 movie tickets for $7 each ticket for any movie, and a book of 10 movie tickets for $6 each for a movie not on special engagement.

Over the life of that book of tickets, I would save $30 over the life of that book... say I see 30 movies a year (2 tickets per movie at least)... that's $90 worth of savings! WOW...

Anyway, what do you guys and gals do to save some cash?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject:

steal....

j/k....

i deposit my enitre paycheck except for 30 dollars and strech how long i can hold onto it. I try to beat the record every week... the longest was 6 days
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject:

This is a lame way of doing it, but I budget my gas.

I fuel up late at night when gas is slightly more dense due to cooler temperatures.

I hang out late in the afternoon or late at night to reduce or cut off all A/C use.

I never fuel up more than 1/3rd tank to save the extra 50+lbs. of weight when I'm driving.

I plan my trips/errands to save gas and save time.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject:

Are there really 30 movies a year worth watching these days?

I seldom put more than 1/2 a tank in to save weight.

I will buy a bit more when gas prices are going up, and a bit less when they are dropping.
The_Lakers_Show
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject:

I make my friends buy me shots at the bar by threatning to not drink with them. Works every time.

"Dude, lets do a shot!"
"Eh, I'm good. Got my beer."
"NO Damn it! Do a shot."
"I dont want to, I got no money."
"I'll buy this round!!!!."
"What are we drinking?"
Go Trojans

Buck Foston
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject:

I've been brown bagging it to work lately. It's amazing how much less money you spend - and the food is smaller proportions and healthier, so better for me. Even if it's say $6 a day x 5 days, that's $30 a week. Over about 50 weeks a year that's $1,500. If I have a sandwich or something from home that costs me something like $500 for the year - a $1000 yearly savings!
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject:

Got a panini grill for x-mas, use 1-2 times per day, which means less can food for me
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
I've been brown bagging it to work lately. It's amazing how much less money you spend - and the food is smaller proportions and healthier, so better for me. Even if it's say $6 a day x 5 days, that's $30 a week. Over about 50 weeks a year that's $1,500. If I have a sandwich or something from home that costs me something like $500 for the year - a $1000 yearly savings!

QFT!

I used to go out for lunch at work. Even if I only spend $5 a day on lunch, that's $25 a week vs spending maybe $5-$7 total for the week. A loaf of bread is a few bucks, sandwich meat a couple more, buy a big bag of chips and portion it out into sandwich bags, then top it off with a piece of fruit and you're looking at most likely a cost of less than $2 a day...you sure can't top that if you go out.

I also save a nice chunk of money by doing my own oil changes. Most places probably charge you about $15-$20 for an oil change whereas if you spend 30 minutes to an hour of your own time, you can do it at a fraction of the cost. If you coupon hunt, a case of oil can cost less than a dollar a quart. Oil filters cost about $4. So in all an oil change will cost you about $7 and an hour of your time. Over the course of a year, that saves around $100 which is a nice chunk of dough that could be better used on some ladies.

Another big money saver is that I rarely go out to the movie theaters anymore. I used to go every week during high school when it was actually affordable. $6 for a student ticket 7 or 8 years ago was actually fair, but now that tickets cost at least $10 at any decent theater, your wallet takes a big dent before you even walk in the door (especially when you buy a ticket for a date ). Instead, I just rather wait for stuff to come on DVD and rent/buy it for less than what it would have cost me to see it at the theater. I've proably gone to the theater less than 5 times in the past year (though I did have to make an exception for Transformers ).
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject:

Write stuff down. I keep track of all the money that comes in and all that goes out. And I at least have a vague idea of where it goes (rent, bills, food, etc.). When I see I'm spending way too much money on something, I cut back. Food is a big one for us. We also like to buy DVDs. And I have an expensive video game habit.

I highly recommend this. However you do it, keep track of the money you spend. You'll be amazed/horrified.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject:

Ugh. I don't save anywhere as much as I'd like. I max out my 401k, put some money into my daughter's college fund, and seem to save very slowly.

I always have some sort of bill that I have to pay, and my amex bill usually runs between 2-3k a month, and other months, it just gets ugly...

We put gas on there, as well as Costco stuff, so that eats up a good chunk of dough. Sometimes, I dream of my early days, where the cost of living for me was piddly.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject:

- Use rewards credit cards. I get all kinds of money back that I normally would not just using my ATM card. Use it strictly at grocery stores, gas stations and pharmacies. I usually net about $600 in rewards every year. I use the Chase Rewards card. It earns the most... 5% back.

- I also live at SlickDeals.net! They constantly have great deals posted and numerous ways to save money. For instance, I recently took my family down to San Diego to go to Sea World. I found out how to get a 3/4 star hotel for the price of a Motel 6 on Priceline!

- I definitely agree with the "brown baggin' it" philosophy!
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
Write stuff down. I keep track of all the money that comes in and all that goes out. And I at least have a vague idea of where it goes (rent, bills, food, etc.). When I see I'm spending way too much money on something, I cut back. Food is a big one for us. We also like to buy DVDs. And I have an expensive video game habit.

I highly recommend this. However you do it, keep track of the money you spend. You'll be amazed/horrified.

imagine when I looked at my iBank (which is like Quicken for Apple) and saw that I had spent more than $100 at Starbucks in two weeks... $8/morning for my girlfriend and I and then sometimes I would go twice a day. iTunes is another one of those things that mess me up... $9.99 here, $9.99 there... click here, click there... :sigh:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
- Use rewards credit cards. I get all kinds of money back that I normally would not just using my ATM card. Use it strictly at grocery stores, gas stations and pharmacies. I usually net about $600 in rewards every year. I use the Chase Rewards card. It earns the most... 5% back.

- I also live at SlickDeals.net! They constantly have great deals posted and numerous ways to save money. For instance, I recently took my family down to San Diego to go to Sea World. I found out how to get a 3/4 star hotel for the price of a Motel 6 on Priceline!

Checking it out now... awesome site! Thanks!!!
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:

Good call! I'm getting married at the end of this month and we're spending a boat load on the wedding. We hooked up a rewards card for all the spending and it's gonna pay for our honeymoon and more. I'm definitely taking advantage of this more often.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject:

mike_dee23 wrote:
Big Game James wrote:

Just be careful! SlickDeals can be habit forming and then you starting spending more money because your saving so much money!
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
mike_dee23 wrote:
Big Game James wrote:

Just be careful! SlickDeals can be habit forming and then you starting spending more money because your saving so much money!

There's a $99 dinner for two at Morton's on there... my gf's bday is right around the sept 30 expiration date
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject:

not spend so much....

i guess it's as simple as that. I just don't buy myself anything. As far as luxuries i mean. I just spend my money on bills, gas, food, or if i decide to take my fiancee out to dinner or disneyland (we have passes) I buy myself something nice about once every few months whether it be a shirt, video game, movie.

AND, As silly and lame as this may sound, i have a serious disneyland addiction and I thank a good chunk of my savings on getting disneyland passes. Sure, you pay about 200 bucks at first but w/ 3 trips after the fact, it pays for itself. tickets are now almost 70 bucks. With three trips, thats already the price of one pass.

and you guys will probably make fun of me for this but, mommy and daddy paid for my car and are currently paying for the insurance as well. So, that's two major bills I never had to pay.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject:

mike_dee23 wrote:
Big Game James wrote:
mike_dee23 wrote:
Big Game James wrote:

There's a $99 dinner for two at Morton's on there... my gf's bday is right around the sept 30 expiration date

And so it begins...

Some of my Slickest Deals:
- Upgraded my memory on my laptop to 1GB. Normally costs: $100. I bought it for $25 shipped!
- Got a $250/night hotel room in San Diego for $55/night.
- I got Burnout Revenge, Tomb Raider: Legends, Lost Planet, Full Auto and 19,200 Microsoft Points all for the XBox 360 for free.
- I bought a Bowflex normally priced anywhere between $800 - $1,000 for only $400 shipped and it comes with a $100 gift card!
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject:

I currently use Starwood Amex. The points are good, and this August, I'm spending some for a free stay on Oahu.

I'll check out SlickDeals. I need a new digital camera. Mine is 5 years old, and 3 Megapixel.

-thanh
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Definitely use SlickDeals to get a camera! They just recently had the Samsung DigiMax S1000 10.1 megapixel digital camera for $150 with free shipping!

That's right, I said a 10.1 megapixel camera!!

LINK
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Two words.. Sugar Mama.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
Two words.. Sugar Mama.....

A great way to save if you can get it.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject:

Put your money in a savings account and forget you have it. I remember reading somewhere that most lotto winners lose their entire winnings within 5 years. Let your brain process exactly how much money you have before you go spending it. Most people overestimate how much they have.

Coupons. I'm not one of those people that obsessively goes through the sunday paper for coupons and alphabetizes them, but if I see one in the mail for a restaurant or service that I use frequently, then I put it in my car or in a drawer. I used to just throw that stuff straight into the trash.

I definitely agree with the rewards credit card. I have one that I only use for restaurants and gas stations. And always pay that ish off in full at the end of the month! This is something my father drilled into my head from a very young age, before I even had a credit card. Paying interest is such a waste of money.
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject:

Just thought I'd bring this thread back from the dead considering I did something very money-wise this week... usually I just buy movies when they come out whether or not I've seen them. I buy just regular DVDs, not Blu-Ray or anything, so the quality is fair on my 27-inch LCD. Well, Michael Clayton came out Tuesday and I had the movie in my hands, then I said, "Hey, I'll just rent it on iTunes. The quality will be just as good and if I don't like it, I'm only down $4 instead of $18 (after taxes)." I thought about this and counted all the unopened DVDs I have and if I did this for all of those, I'd have saved probably close to $100.

The moral of this story is that renting is often much better than buying.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject:

I buy PCs over Macs.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: