"Anybody would love to play with Kobe," - Carmelo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
*Purple&Gold*
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Shaqs dislike for Buss and some of the other org. members was due to them making the decision to keep Kobe and let Shaq sail off into the sunset. After Kobes comment about Shaq paying off girls...there was no reconcile between the two. When you make a comment that messes with another persons marriage...you have crossed the line.
Shaq thought that his image was allot cleaner while in the purple and gold, and when it was obvious that he couldnt be around Kobe any longer and the two would have to seperate...he was deeply hurt when the org. went with Kobe.
Shaq said anything and everything he could to make sure he was not in the purple and gold, and left with a very bad taste in his mouth.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
ocho wrote:
twentyfootlayup wrote:
ocho wrote:
twentyfootlayup wrote:

i do believe it is the truth even though it is my opinion, my apologies even though it would seem that it would be fairly obvious... but i digress

i hope that clears up my verbage for everyone

don't sweat it dude. if you had said that everyone in the nba wants to play with kobe nobody would have questioned your verbage.

i appreciate the support, actually i was one of kobe's biggest defenders in the past, but for multiple obvious reasons that continue to manifest themselves in a continued pattern I just cannot throw blind allegiance behind him any longer ...

you're not the only one buddy

My allegiance to Kobe has wavered as well, but I'm not going to claim that 95% of the NBA doesn't want to play with Kobe and try to pass that off as the "truth".

who tried to say 95% doesn't want to play with him?
*Purple&Gold*
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:
*Purple&Gold* wrote:
If Carmelo was married, and Kobe stated that he paid off girls/hookers while on the road...would Carmelo still want to be his friend? That comment sure sent Shaq running!!! It was the nail in the coffin for our dynasty.
Kobe hater...I doubt it...just telling it like it is. (ask Shaq.)

You mean the stuff that was COMMON KNOWLEDGE, prior to Kobe SUPPOSEDLY saying something?

Have to know what's up to "tell it like it is"

And i do!
*Purple&Gold*
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
*Purple&Gold* wrote:
If Carmelo was married, and Kobe stated that he paid off girls/hookers while on the road...would Carmelo still want to be his friend? That comment sure sent Shaq running!!! It was the nail in the coffin for our dynasty.
Kobe hater...I doubt it...just telling it like it is. (ask Shaq.)

but they assured us they love each other they even hugged on national tv. are you telling me that wasn't real

Michael Jackson kissed the Presley girl on national TV...did you buy that?
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
ocho wrote:
twentyfootlayup wrote:
ocho wrote:
twentyfootlayup wrote:

i do believe it is the truth even though it is my opinion, my apologies even though it would seem that it would be fairly obvious... but i digress

don't sweat it dude. if you had said that everyone in the nba wants to play with kobe nobody would have questioned your verbage.

i appreciate the support, actually i was one of kobe's biggest defenders in the past, but for multiple obvious reasons that continue to manifest themselves in a continued pattern I just cannot throw blind allegiance behind him any longer ...

My allegiance to Kobe has wavered as well, but I'm not going to claim that 95% of the NBA doesn't want to play with Kobe and try to pass that off as the "truth".

twentyfootlayup wrote:

hahaha, lol, hahaha, lol

pure P.R.

i would say it's a safe bet 95% of the league does not want to play with the black hole ....

when the hole is within 10 feet of the ball , it gets sucked in by his vortex (his "will to win at all costs" :roll: ) and shots go up by the dozens ...

what a joke ...

Page two.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Tony Almeida wrote:
ocho wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
ocho wrote:
twentyfootlayup wrote:
ocho wrote:
twentyfootlayup wrote:

twentyfootlayup wrote:

hahaha, lol, hahaha, lol

pure P.R.

i would say it's a safe bet 95% of the league does not want to play with the black hole ....

when the hole is within 10 feet of the ball , it gets sucked in by his vortex (his "will to win at all costs" :roll: ) and shots go up by the dozens ...

what a joke ...

Page two.

ah i see. well i certainly disagree with that number but i also don't think 100% wanna play with him.
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Tony Almeida wrote:
ocho wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
ocho wrote:
twentyfootlayup wrote:
ocho wrote:
twentyfootlayup wrote:

twentyfootlayup wrote:

hahaha, lol, hahaha, lol

pure P.R.

what a joke ...

Page two.

ah i see. well i certainly disagree with that number but i also don't think 100% wanna play with him.

Neither do I. Just like how I don't think 100% of players want to play with Shaq either.

It's essentially a case by case basis, and even then we don't REALLY know enough to form percentages on the entire NBA.

But as I stated in my other post, which I honestly believe, it's that there are certain specific types of players who would like to genuinely play with Kobe, and other types that may think twice if asked the hypothetical question.
dmills
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Freakout wrote:
ocho wrote:
Kobe Jocker wrote:
Freakout wrote:
I would think Anthony's opinion carries a lot more weight than your typical message board poster. Considering he actually knows a few NBA players.

would you say the same about shaq? wouldn't his opinion not only carry more weight than a typical message board poster but also more than melo's since he played on a team with him for several years?

Find a quote where Shaq says players would hate playing with Kobe then.

well he certainly didn't enjoy it himself. you really gonna argue that one?

I'm sure the feeling is mutual on Kobe's end. Lets not forget that there are two sides to that story.
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Freakout wrote:
ocho wrote:
Freakout wrote:
ocho wrote:
Kobe Jocker wrote:
Freakout wrote:
I would think Anthony's opinion carries a lot more weight than your typical message board poster. Considering he actually knows a few NBA players.

would you say the same about shaq? wouldn't his opinion not only carry more weight than a typical message board poster but also more than melo's since he played on a team with him for several years?

Find a quote where Shaq says players would hate playing with Kobe then.

well he certainly didn't enjoy it himself. you really gonna argue that one?

Who cares if Shaq didn't enjoy it? The thread is about the NBA not just one guy.

the thread is about whether or not people like playing with kobe. shaq is an example of someone who played with him and didn't like it. that's all.

Shaq also proclaimed once that Kobe Bryant was the best player in the league. So now will you say that Shaq is not an authority either?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject:

I know for a fact my boy Caron Butler was talking about how hard it is to play with Kobe in an interview his first season in Washington.

Said that he felt for Lamar, because he knew Lamar's true talent and that with Kobe it was hard for him to showcase his talent.

Now this is Kobe's buddy saying that.

I disagree that players won't want to play with Kobe. Ofcourse they would. However almost all the players who have had any talent that is all-star caliber in the last few years that we have had, seem to have issues in maxamizing themself with Kobe. I think any player who had all-star talent initially would have some issues adjusting to Kobe's dominating game. That's not to say it won't work, it can and it will.

But IMO 9 out of 10 all-stars would be better off playing with Nash than Kobe. Simply put, Nash will make sure you put up the all-star numbers and shots you had before hand. Kobe will make sure you are a part of the process, but it will not be natural .. somewhat forced. Being a team player and making the one's around you do their thing is and never has been Kobe's strength. It has and probably always will be his biggest weakness.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject:

Kevin freaking Garnett, Kidd, JO, my man Baron Davis, Ron Artest, Carlos Boozer, et al, have all expressed their intent of playing with Kobe. KG even called Kobe. JO same thing.

So I could care less whatever Caron Butler said, or whether LO asked to be traded in 2004 because he didn't want to play alongside Kobe. These are guys who want to have they ball in their hands, and played on a spot-up three-point shooting system under Rudy T. All I know is, superstars have signified their desire to play with Kobe, only that Mitch K hasn't been able to pull a deal or stupidly said NO to the others.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I know for a fact my boy Caron Butler was talking about how hard it is to play with Kobe in an interview his first season in Washington.

Said that he felt for Lamar, because he knew Lamar's true talent and that with Kobe it was hard for him to showcase his talent.

Now this is Kobe's buddy saying that.

I disagree that players won't want to play with Kobe. Ofcourse they would. However almost all the players who have had any talent that is all-star caliber in the last few years that we have had, seem to have issues in maxamizing themself with Kobe. I think any player who had all-star talent initially would have some issues adjusting to Kobe's dominating game. That's not to say it won't work, it can and it will.

But IMO 9 out of 10 all-stars would be better off playing with Nash than Kobe. Simply put, Nash will make sure you put up the all-star numbers and shots you had before hand. Kobe will make sure you are a part of the process, but it will not be natural .. somewhat forced. Being a team player and making the one's around you do their thing is and never has been Kobe's strength. It has and probably always will be his biggest weakness.

If you want to win, you remain aggressive and not just pass to Kobe because you know he's better than you. That was Caron's problem. That's LO's problem.

Caron's ego couldn't handle the fact that he was the 3rd and sometimes 4th option. That had nothing to do with Kobe and everything to do with Chucky Atkins and Rudy T.

But hey, anything to get in a shot at Kobe.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject:

Caron Butler, aka the King of Big Numbers in losing situations. Dime a dozen SF that couldn't handle the ego bruising that he felt in LA, due to a crappy system and a backup PG with an ego based on his finally starting.

But naturally, blaming Kobe for why one has yet to live up to their potential is fairly easy.

Funny that Shaq's best years were with Kobe. That nearly every player since Shaq was traded has had their best years with Kobe, but it's not ego stroking PPG, shots per game, etc.

What that says to me is a lot of these guys, Caron and Chucky Atkins specifically, are not championship material.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

But IMO 9 out of 10 all-stars would be better off playing with Nash than Kobe.

As evidenced by Nash getting said all-stars and loaded teams to the NBA Finals ZERO times, not even sniffing a title.

Quote:
Simply put, Nash will make sure you put up the all-star numbers and shots you had before hand.

Again, all-stars are all-stars, Kobe hasn't had Amare/Marion/Joe Johnson/QRich, and for all the Nash hoopla, he hasn't won anything with all-star talent. Kobe with all-star talent around him won three rings.

Quote:
Kobe will make sure you are a part of the process, but it will not be natural .. somewhat forced. Being a team player and making the one's around you do their thing is and never has been Kobe's strength. It has and probably always will be his biggest weakness.

Kobe with Nash's cast wins a ring, Nash with Kobe's cast most likely does not even make the playoffs. Nash can't get his team of all-stars over the hump to even sniff the NBA Finals. Sure you can and probably will dismiss the idea that Kobe with Nash's all-star casts can do better, but it's pretty obvious to me the playing fields are not even whatsoever to even try and make it seem like Nash makes everything easier, and Kobe's attempts are "forced" and "not natural".
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Tony Almeida wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

But IMO 9 out of 10 all-stars would be better off playing with Nash than Kobe.

As evidenced by Nash getting said all-stars and loaded teams to the NBA Finals ZERO times, not even sniffing a title.

Quote:
Simply put, Nash will make sure you put up the all-star numbers and shots you had before hand.

Again, all-stars are all-stars, Kobe hasn't had Amare/Marion/Joe Johnson/QRich, and for all the Nash hoopla, he hasn't won anything with all-star talent. Kobe with all-star talent around him won three rings.

Quote:
Kobe will make sure you are a part of the process, but it will not be natural .. somewhat forced. Being a team player and making the one's around you do their thing is and never has been Kobe's strength. It has and probably always will be his biggest weakness.

Kobe with Nash's cast wins a ring, Nash with Kobe's cast most likely does not even make the playoffs. Nash can't get his team of all-stars over the hump to even sniff the NBA Finals. Sure you can and probably will dismiss the idea that Kobe with Nash's all-star casts can do better, but it's pretty obvious to me the playing fields are not even whatsoever to even try and make it seem like Nash makes everything easier, and Kobe's attempts are "forced" and "not natural".

iirc Nash was on some pretty talented Dallas teams also.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject:

The whole 'who really wants to play with Kobe' thing is a joke.

I'm going to let you guys in on a little secret. Please don't tell anyone.

Most players are primarily concerned with money.

Yeah, I know. It's shocking, but I have irrefutable inside information on this and know it to be the truth.

You can put Shaq, Kobe, Kidd, Nash, Ghandi and Corky in a line with a sack of money in front of each of them ranging from $5 million to $50 million.

Turn every player in the league loose and give them the option of who they want to play for and I will bet you that 99 times out of 100, they would go with the guy with the $50 million sack in front of them, regardless of whether that guy is Shaq, Kobe, Kidd, Nash, Ghandi or Corky.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:

Yeah, I know. It's shocking, but I have irrefutable inside information on this and know it to be the truth.

You can put Shaq, Kobe, Kidd, Nash, Ghandi and Corky in a line with a sack of money in front of each of them ranging from $5 million to $50 million.

Turn every player in the league loose and give them the option of who they want to play for and I will bet you that 99 times out of 100, they would go with the guy with the $50 million sack in front of them, regardless of whether that guy is Shaq, Kobe, Kidd, Nash, Ghandi or Corky.

No! Say it isn't so! Motivated by money? Not NBA players, not like the rest of us...

Mostwanted
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject:

When will people stop making excuses for Lamar Odom and just acknolwege him for what he is?

A player that entered the leauge with all of the tools to be one of the best of all-time but a weak mental approach to the game and poor work habits have left him at an 'almost all-star level' as opposed to an all-nba/HOF level.

Caron feels sorry for Odom because he knows 'Odom's true talent' and it will be hard for him to showcase with Kobe'.

Was Kobe with Lamar in Clipper land? Of course Odom's continued underachievment in Clipper land wasn't his fault. The Clipper's held him back. Great all around numbers but should have been so much better.

Was Kobe with Lamar in Heat land when again he falied to break out and be considered one of the best players in the game despite being the most talented player on that team. (a team that inlcuded Wade)

Now Mr. Potential comes to LA and he still fails to break out. Of course it is again someone elses fault. This time its Kobe's turn.

Never mind that Odom's best stretch of his professional career came along side Kobe Bryant. (Odom's words not mine). His play the last half of last season and into the playoffs was phenominal. Routinely putting up 18-20 points, grabbing 9-10 boards, and handing out 5-7 assists. All while shooting over 50% from the field and damn near the same % from three.

But even more than the stats he was impacting the game and finally showing himself to be a true second option. Also factor in that Odom has set career highs in PER, EFF, assists (not counting that season in which he played 20 or so games), FG%, 3PT%, and wins in a season playing next to Kobe. The guy that prevents him from shining.

And then the inconsistency (don't care what you blame it own. Be it injury, diminshed skill, off the court disctaction, mental issues etc. point is that it happend again) back in.

The story of Odom's career and he has no one to blame but himself.

The only all-star that Kobe (not counting the NVE, JOnes years as he wasn't a regualr starter himself then) has played with is Shaq. And despite all of the upps and downs those 2 had off the court on the court they balled out. And that's because they are great players. Great players do what they do.

Odom is not a great player and nor will he ever be.

Doesn't matter what team he goes to or whom he plays with. He will always be (unless he finally takes an off-season to actually work hard on his game and to improve his weaknesses as a player) the 15-17 point 8-10 rebound 4-5 assists.

Not that those numbers are bad. They are good. numbers But ODom has the physical abilty to impact the game statistically and on the court to a higher degree.

If and when Odom and Kobe part ways I will be anxious to see whom or what becomes the new excuse for Odom's under-achievment.

Last edited by Mostwanted on Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:

It's be interesting to make one bag worth the 50 and the rest worth 1, not tell them where the real money is and THEN see who people wanted to play with.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

It's be interesting to make one bag worth the 50 and the rest worth 1, not tell them where the real money is and THEN see who people wanted to play with.

Then we'd be talking about just basketball, and it would be a different story. One that is almost never told in the NBA.

Right now, there's only one team that any vet would take a paycut to play for. If Finley wasn't a Spur now, Hill would be one.
AboveTheRim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Mostwanted wrote:
When will people stop making excuses for Lamar Odom and just acknolwege him for what he is?

A player that entered the leauge with all of the tools to be one of the best of all-time but a weak mental approach to the game and poor work habits have left him at an 'almost all-star level' as opposed to an all-nba/HOF level.

Caron feels sorry for Odom because he knows 'Odom's true talent' and it will be hard for him to showcase with Kobe'.

Was Kobe with Lamar in Clipper land? Of course Odom's continued underachievment in Clipper land wasn't his fault. The Clipper's held him back. Great all around numbers but should have been so much better.

Was Kobe with Lamar in Heat land when again he falied to break out and be considered one of the best players in the game despite being the most talented player on that team. (a team that inlcuded Wade)

Now Mr. Potential comes to LA and he still fails to break out. Of course it is again someone elses fault. This time its Kobe's turn.

Never mind that Odom's best stretch of his professional career came along side Kobe Bryant. (Odom's words not mine). His play the last half of last season and into the playoffs was phenominal. Routinely putting up 18-20 points, grabbing 9-10 boards, and handing out 5-7 assists. All while shooting over 50% from the field and damn near the same % from three.

But even more than the stats he was impacting the game and finally showing himself to be a true second option. Also factor in that Odom has set career highs in PER, EFF, assists (not counting that season in which he played 20 or so games), FG%, 3PT%, and wins in a season playing next to Kobe. The guy that prevents him from shining.

And then the inconsistency (don't care what you blame it own. Be it injury, diminshed skill, off the court disctaction, mental issues etc. point is that it happend again) back in.

The only all-star that Kobe (not counting the NVE, JOnes years as he wasn't a regualr starter himself then) has played with is Shaq. And despite all of the upps and downs those 2 had off the court on the court they balled out. And that's because they are great players. Great players do what they do.

Doesn't matter what team he goes to or whom he plays with. He will always be (unless he finally takes an off-season to actually work hard on his game and to improve his weaknesses as a player) the 15-17 point 8-10 rebound 4-5 assists.

Not that those numbers are bad. They are good. numbers But ODom has the physical abilty to impact the game statistically and on the court to a higher degree.

If and when Odom and Kobe part ways I will be anxious to see whom or what becomes the new excuse for Odom's under-achievment.

Good post.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Mostwanted wrote:

If and when Odom and Kobe part ways I will be anxious to see whom or what becomes the new excuse for Odom's under-achievement.

Awesome.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
dmills
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject:

I agree with you entirely up until this...

Quote:

I feel you on that. But for the sake of conversation lets avoid that kind of conjecture. We don't know what would happen if who played on what team with what ever players.

As a matter of fact this whole topic is getting away from the original premise. IT'S NOT ABOUT WHO SAID MEAN THINGS ABOUT KOBE! IT'S ABOUT RATHER OR NOT A PLAYER HAS PUBICALLY SAID THAT THEY DON'T WANT TO PLAY WITH KOBE. I gave a few examples of players who pubically said that they would love to. I also asked if any players had PUBLICALLY said that they wouldn't. None ever have. I'm not asking about Ray Allen, Vince Carter or Caron Butler. Their comments have nothing to do with playing on a team with Kobe Bean Bryant.

Ray Allen recently said at the all star game that of all of the signatures on his shoes Kobe's was the most special. They have made up. Vince made a silly comment about Kobe scoring 81 points. Big flipping deal. What does that have to do with playing on a team with him? And Caron Butlers comments were taken WAAAY out of context. He was referring to the offensive system that the Lakers ran under Rudy T that had Lamar setting up at the three point line as a spot up shooter. Context people context!

Last edited by dmills on Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:07 am; edited 2 times in total
dmills
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Mostwanted wrote:

Nothing but truth there. Hell of a post.
dmills
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

Then we'd be talking about just basketball, and it would be a different story. One that is almost never told in the NBA.

Right now, there's only one team that any vet would take a paycut to play for. If Finley wasn't a Spur now, Hill would be one.

Truth. I'd probably throw the Suns in the mix as well though.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10
Jump to: