Will the "battle" for starting Center be beneficial?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject:

Prometheus8 wrote:
Didn't Kwame have a couple of surgeries? My impression was that he would miss the first few months - correct me if I'm wrong.

On Mihm, he has been off for a year and a half so I'm not counting on anything out of him.

I think Andrew is competing with himself, at least in the first half of the year.

I recall hearing he and Lamar would both be ready for training camp from their surgeries.

---George Carlin
R-Tistic
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject:

As of now...have we heard any implications or hints on who will be 1st and 2nd string starter at Center?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject:

If no trades are made, we have a 1 in 3 chance it will be a white guy, or a 2 in 3 chance that it will be a black guy.

---George Carlin
LakersFanKB#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject:

i think bynum will start, but kwame and mihm wil lget plenty of playing time, with kwame myabe getting some time at PF when we play a team like the spurs.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject:

The competition will last until the beginning of the season and then Mihm and Kwame will go down with injuries while lifting their water bottles.

Then Drew will show his "potential" for 3 games and then forget he's playing in the NBA and lose steam...again.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Yes because all three players are risks as starters:

AB really may need 5-6 seasons to become starter material

Kwame may get hurt again

Chris cmay get hurt again
In the paint
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject:

All three of the centers came into the NBA with high expectations and have come up well short to this point. Mihm, and Brown both have opportunities to negotiate new contracts next year, but if they perform poorly they will get poor contracts. The motivation to work hard and perform well is very high. Let see what the competition can deliver.
Eagle2904
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject:

I'd like to see Bynum and Mihm playing next to eachother at least in pre-season. I wonder if that would work. Mihm can play the PF. LA's Twin Tower Version. Might not work though. But you can at least try, right.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
melo061
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:15 am    Post subject:

What battle excatly? Andrew already surpassed Cakeboy quite a while ago. The battle is going to be between kwame and mihm, mihm coming off a long layoff and kwame coming off surgery. I'd try Mihm as a back up 4, he did play the 4 in cleveland.

Perfect music.
Eagle2904
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:53 am    Post subject:

melo061 wrote:
What battle excatly? Andrew already surpassed Cakeboy quite a while ago. The battle is going to be between kwame and mihm, mihm coming off a long layoff and kwame coming off surgery. I'd try Mihm as a back up 4, he did play the 4 in cleveland.

It all depends on how healthy Mihm really is. Even though he said he's completely healed and I haven't heard anything to the contrary I somehow have this gut feeling that you cannot come back from an injury like that and play like nothing happened.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
PrplReign
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject:

melo061 wrote:

Of course he did, that is why "Cake Boy" got the starting nod over AB against the Suns in the playoffs. As of last season, the only areas where AB was superior to Kwame was his touch around the basket. His defense was deplorable both in terms of man and position. Andrew was clueless as to how and when to set picks for the shooters and his ability to get position was nothing to write home about. Kwame was the far superior offensive rebounder, as well. Kobe loves having Kwame on the floor. Nobody can set picks as well and Kwame's ability to clear the lane for Kobe's forays is unparalleled.
kobe_somebody_odom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject:

PrplReign wrote:
melo061 wrote:

Of course he did, that is why "Cake Boy" got the starting nod over AB against the Suns in the playoffs. As of last season, the only areas where AB was superior to Kwame was his touch around the basket. His defense was deplorable both in terms of man and position. Andrew was clueless as to how and when to set picks for the shooters and his ability to get position was nothing to write home about. Kwame was the far superior offensive rebounder, as well. Kobe loves having Kwame on the floor. Nobody can set picks as well and Kwame's ability to clear the lane for Kobe's forays is unparalleled.

I honestly believe Drew could have done ateast as good of job against the Suns as Kwame. Amare was dunking all over his ass, and defense is his only skill.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject:

In theory, competition would help.

In reality, I doubt Kwame cares if he starts or not or even plays or not as long as his checks keep coming. We are talking about a guy who uses elective surgery as an excuse to avoid improving his game, over and over again.

Bynum may want to start, but his disappearing act in the 2nd half of last season has left me concerned about his fire in his belly also. He already has his money, does he have the self motivation to reach his max potential? I hope so, but the last few months of last season would definitely bring that into question.

Mihm probably wants to start. He seems to actually care at least. That said, the guy hasn't played in a long time and we have no idea how long the rust is going to take to wear off. Even healthy, he was strictly a home court player only and showed an acute distaste for inside play as the games became more intense (like in the playoffs). I see him as a stop gap at best.

It is Bynum who needs to step up and seize the position, if for nothing else to just maintain some trade value.
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject:

To me, the big thing about the competition is NOW. If you are Mihm or Brown and you hear buzz that Bynum is working out hard this summer, what are you going to do? You have millions riding on getting PT next off-season. I would be working out to the max. Ditto on the PG situation - you think Farmar is relaxing this off-season after starting in the playoffs, then seeing the Lakers sign Fisher and Critterton? He wants to stay the starter and he knows he has got to IMPROVE if he is going to stay the starter.

Another thing about the competition - I hope that Mihm can be effective when he comes back, that Bynum really improves over the summer and that Brown can be effective. The chances of any one of those things happening aren't the best. However, I think the odds of at least one of the three happening are pretty good. I am not sure Fisher can be a quality starting PG. Or that Farmar can. Or that Critterton can. But I feel pretty good that one of the three is likely to step up to it.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject:

Dennis_D wrote:

Another thing about the competition - I hope that Mihm can be effective when he comes back, that Bynum really improves over the summer and that Brown can be effective. The chances of any one of those things happening aren't the best. However, I think the odds of at least one of the three happening are pretty good. I am not sure Fisher can be a quality starting PG. Or that Farmar can. Or that Critterton can. But I feel pretty good that one of the three is likely to step up to it.

That's a good way to look at it and probably pretty realistic.

Fact is they don't need Bynum, Brown and Mihm to step up huge. They just need one of the three to step up and get it done, anything the other two do will be a bonus.

Same with PG. I doubt JC gets all that much run in the 2nd half of the season or as the playoffs approach, he may play some early if the sick Sasha Vujacic in the rotation experiment has finally run it's course.

I look for Fisher to start and man the majority of the minutes with Farmar as his primary backup. I don't think Fish signed here to come off the bench, Mitchell probably promised him the starting job he has always wanted.
lakerbob
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject:

I've got high hopes for Bynum...really rooting for him. However, my opinion he's only shown flashes for greatness so far and for the most part has not displayed consistent work ethic and drive. Of the three centers, in my opinion Mihm shows the greatest work ethic and effort. Also, considering Kwame's legendary hands of stone and apparent lack of mental toughness, Bynum's youth, if Mihm is healthy, I predict he will be the starter.
PrplReign
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

In reality, I doubt Kwame cares if he starts or not or even plays or not as long as his checks keep coming. We are talking about a guy who uses elective surgery as an excuse to avoid improving his game, over and over again.

Bynum may want to start, but his disappearing act in the 2nd half of last season has left me concerned about his fire in his belly also. He already has his money, does he have the self motivation to reach his max potential? I hope so, but the last few months of last season would definitely bring that into question.

Mihm probably wants to start. He seems to actually care at least. That said, the guy hasn't played in a long time and we have no idea how long the rust is going to take to wear off. Even healthy, he was strictly a home court player only and showed an acute distaste for inside play as the games became more intense (like in the playoffs). I see him as a stop gap at best.

It is Bynum who needs to step up and seize the position, if for nothing else to just maintain some trade value.

In what universe is the removal of bone spurs and ligament repair in the ankle of a professional athlete considered elective? He didn't decide to have rhinoplasty for goodness sake. Seriously palpable dislike for a guy that has far more desire and does a lot more of the dirty work and heavy lifting on the floor than anyone wants to give him credit for. Kobe Bryant has NEVER scored 60 points in a game in which Kwame did not play. Someone was freeing him up for those shots. Has he fulfilled his potetial as it was seen when he was drafted? No. Is he much better than anyone gives him credit for on this board? Yes.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject:

PrplReign wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

In what universe is the removal of bone spurs and ligament repair in the ankle of a professional athlete considered elective? He didn't decide to have rhinoplasty for goodness sake. Seriously palpable dislike for a guy that has far more desire and does a lot more of the dirty work and heavy lifting on the floor than anyone wants to give him credit for. Kobe Bryant has NEVER scored 60 points in a game in which Kwame did not play. Someone was freeing him up for those shots. Has he fulfilled his potetial as it was seen when he was drafted? No. Is he much better than anyone gives him credit for on this board? Yes.

He looks for seemingly any excuse to miss games. He also tends to miss long stretches of games to the point where even the coach is wondering about it.

Or maybe he is just the unluckiest guy ever.

Is he better than anyone gives him credit for on this board? Not with the credit you give him apparently.

Let's just say Kwame doesn't strike me as a guy who is dying for the season to start. And his lack of improvement every year is proof positive of it.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject:

PrplReign wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

He is terrible on offense and a poor rebounder. He can't shoot 2-footers and he can't shoot free throws. He can't block shots. And he takes longer for most injuries than your average player. And most importantly, he never improves his game or adds to any facet of his game. Rumor around El Segundo is that he prefers partying to practicing.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject:

I keep reading about these amazing picks Kwame sets Kobe up for and I keep scratching my head wondering why this is such a sticking point for people peddling Kwame's worth.

Perhaps it's because Kobe talked about them once or thrice when lauding Kwame during his pro-Brown (or was it anti-Bynum) campaign early in the season.

Either way, I'd say Kwame's picks are responsible for about 3% of Kobe's scoring at best from what I can recall.

Kobe's scoring 60 points or more being attributed to Kwame's presence is tantamount to saying Kobe's never scored more than 60 when he's not the 1st offensive option. Meaningless.
baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Quote:
do you think the competition for the starting spot, and even for the backup position, will have all three players focused on becoming better players?

Absolutely. Just like the PG position. The starting position is not guaranteed, and if anything, it only brings out the competitiveness of the players and lays down a foundation for someone to step up.

It would be great if Critt can come in and steal the starting pg spot. He looks like the best as of now, just doesn't have the experience. I'm glad that Fiser is here. Just what the young pgs need. I've been saying that they should have had a vet big out there for Bynum the last 2 years as well (PJ Brown etc). It would have helped to speed up the process. Banging against Brown in practice doesn't do much for you when he is making more mental mistakes than you are. Hopefully by all-star break:Critt/Bryant/Odom/Brown/Bynum

Exactly. Its extremely important to have vets on the team, if you have young players that are trying to learn the game. Hands on experience is
the best teacher. The vets especially intelligent ones like fisher can really
help players develop faster and more well rounded, the best way to learn the subtle tricks, and intricacies of the position's is to have it down to you over and over in practice. You can learn those from games, but it takes longer. That has really been missing from the team the past few years.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: