Ime Udoka to sign multi year w/ Spurs on Tuesday
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hawkins
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Ime Udoka to sign multi year w/ Spurs on Tuesday

Link: Joe Freeman, The Oregonian

"Ime Udoka, whose rise from the NBA Development League to NBA starter made him a fan favorite with the Trail Blazers, is poised to sign a multiyear contract with the reigning-champion San Antonio Spurs.

Udoka's agent, Erin Cowan, told The Oregonian on Sunday that Udoka has made a commitment to the Spurs and hoped to have a deal finalized by Tuesday."
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject:

Great move by the spurs if they ink him. Nice athletic young defensive SF. Great character and he can spell old man Bowen and hopefully develop a good shot to complement Duncan/Parker/Ginobili. The Spurs do a tremendous job with cheap signings to fill in the cracks.
Hawkins
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject:

They can trim Bruce's minutes and groom Udoka as a successor if he fits in. Bowen will be fresher in the playoffs as he had the most minutes per game as a Spur last season being one of the oldest at 36. Barry I guess moves over to immediate back up to Parker (loses minutes) or becomes a third to Vaughn. A lot of flexibility if he learns the team defensive schemes quickly, normally about a 1 season learning curve.

It would seem Beno Udrich is the lone man out (immediate trade bait and still a decent downtown shooter, (young and athletic) or Barry as the losers in this though their 3 point shooting is still available if needed.

Udoka is strong at the corner as well. RC and Pop seemed to have the whole bench as credible 3 point shooters now. One thing for sure the Spurs after next season are going to be an entirely different team with Horry, Bowen, Barry, Udrich?, Finley probably gone or retired.

C Oberto, Elson
PF Duncan, Bonner, Horry
SF Bowen, Udoka
SG Finley or Ginobili, Barry
PG Parker, Vaughn, Barry
ajaxxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Spurs continue to make the right moves no matter how small they are. Udoka will log on heavy minutes behind the aging Bowen.
Ares24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject:

ive always liked udoka. i wish him the best!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
Great move by the spurs if they ink him. Nice athletic young defensive SF. Great character and he can spell old man Bowen and hopefully develop a good shot to complement Duncan/Parker/Ginobili. The Spurs do a tremendous job with cheap signings to fill in the cracks.

Don't know about young, but yeah...very good signing. Wish we could have added him for $2 mil. If you shave a little off what we offered DFish, we would have had that.

He'd be a good fit for us since Kobe needs some help with the defensive heavy lifting at the 2/3 spots. Plus, he can catch and shoot from three. Would have filled in well for us.
Hawkins
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject:

It's official. Monroe's never wrong with his pipeline to the Spurs.

Quote:
Spurs: Udoka agrees to contract

Mike Monroe, San Antonio Express-News

Ime Udoka, a 6-foot-5 swingman whose path to the NBA was not unlike that of Bruce Bowen, has agreed to terms of a contract that will make him a Spur, according to agent Erin Cowan.

If Udoka's game continues to develop, he may eventually be the 36-year-old Bowen's successor as the Spurs' starting small forward.

Udoka played his first full season in the NBA in 2006-07, starting 75 games for the Trail Blazers. A fan favorite in Portland, Udoka averaged 8.4 points and 3.7 rebounds in 28.6 minutes a game. A Portland native, he refused to give up his dream of playing in the NBA after his college career at Portland State ended in 2000.

An unrestricted free agent with a reputation as a hard worker and tireless defender, Udoka's deal may be finalized today, according to Cowan. The Spurs' offer is believed to be worth slightly more than $2 million over the next two seasons.

LINK: MORE:....
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject:

Nice glue guy... I want to see Marcus Williams consolidating himself as a big backup PG off the bench for the Spurs but at this point it doesnt even look like he's making the team.
LHQ
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:00 am    Post subject:

Nice sign. Great defensive backup.
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Socks wrote:

Don't know about young, but yeah...very good signing. Wish we could have added him for $2 mil. If you shave a little off what we offered DFish, we would have had that.

He'd be a good fit for us since Kobe needs some help with the defensive heavy lifting at the 2/3 spots. Plus, he can catch and shoot from three. Would have filled in well for us.

Yup. I've been saying it for the past few months - Udoka would have been a excellent pick up.

I mean, the guy was already liked by our coaching staff from when he was in our camp a few years ago.
He's a defender - and we SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO need a defender at the 3.
He plays hard, is smart and does the little things.
And he's a high % spot-up 3-point shooter.

It would have been a real smart, subtle "low risk, high reward" signing for us. You get A LOT of value out of what you sign Udoka for.

But really, you could see SA picking him up from a mile away.
SA continues to do what SA does.

...and so do we.

I just don't get our FO sometimes.
hi_ma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject:

B_P wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Socks wrote:

Yup. I've been saying it for the past few months - Udoka would have been a excellent pick up.

I mean, the guy was already liked by our coaching staff from when he was in our camp a few years ago.

It would have been a real smart, subtle "low risk, high reward" signing for us. You get A LOT of value out of what you sign Udoka for.

...and so do we.

did he want to come here. As much as i love the lakers and kobe, you give me the opportunity to play with TD w/out drama and barring any serious injury while being guaranteed a spot in the WCF/finals. the SAS are at a huge advantage. we kinda of had that but even back in the day we were strapped for cash. SAS dont seem to be. If we had a LO/JO/Kobe trio we would probably reap the rewards of free agents
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject:

hi_ma wrote:
B_P wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
Socks wrote:

...and so do we.

did he want to come here. As much as i love the lakers and kobe, you give me the opportunity to play with TD w/out drama and barring any serious injury while being guaranteed a spot in the WCF/finals. the SAS are at a huge advantage. we kinda of had that but even back in the day we were strapped for cash. SAS dont seem to be. If we had a LO/JO/Kobe trio we would probably reap the rewards of free agents

Totally.
If I'm Ime, I'm signing with SA too.
Class organization from top to bottom.
Who wouldn't want to play there???
No drama. No egos.
Just winning basketball with world-class players and coaches.

Yeah, I'd go there too.
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Man, I am so sick of the "Spurs always do the right thing" posts
ajaxxx wrote:
Spurs continue to make the right moves no matter how small they are. Udoka will log on heavy minutes behind the aging Bowen.

B_P wrote:

...and so do we.

The Spurs were one of the oldest teams, if not the oldest team, in the NBA. Last season, Horry was 36, Barry and Bowen were 35, Finley was 33, Oberto was 31, Duncan was 30 and Ginobili was 29. The Spurs FO made the following moves last off-season:
1. Traded Nesterovic (30) for Matt Bonner (26) and Eric Williams (34) and a 2009 2nd round pick
2. Signed Jacque Vaughn (31)
3. Signed Jackie Butler (21)
4. Signed Francisco Elson (30)
5. Signed James White (24)
6. In Feb, traded for Melvin Ely (28)

That means the Spurs players under 30 besides Parker and Ginobili were:
Udrih - In his 3rd season, put up numbers very similar to Sasha
Bonner - Averaged 11.7 mpg in 56 games
White - Played in 6 games, cut after the season
Butler - Played in 11 games, traded after the season
Ely - Played in 6 games, not re-signed

This off-season, the Spurs traded Butler and the draft rights to Luis Scola (27) to Houston for Vassilis Spanoulis (25), who averaged 8.8 mpg in 31 games last season and who has since gone back to Europe.

Given that next season the Spurs will have more players who are over 33 and on the last year of their contract than players under 30, I would think that signing some youth would be paramount. But instead, the Spurs sign a project player who is 30! And the move earns kudos for many Laker fans for its brilliance!
hi_ma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Dennis_D wrote:
Man, I am so sick of the "Spurs always do the right thing" posts
ajaxxx wrote:

B_P wrote:

...and so do we.

The Spurs were one of the oldest teams, if not the oldest team, in the NBA. Last season, Horry was 36, Barry and Bowen were 35, Finley was 33, Oberto was 31, Duncan was 30 and Ginobili was 29. The Spurs FO made the following moves last off-season:
1. Traded Nesterovic (30) for Matt Bonner (26) and Eric Williams (34) and a 2009 2nd round pick
2. Signed Jacque Vaughn (31)
3. Signed Jackie Butler (21)
4. Signed Francisco Elson (30)
5. Signed James White (24)
6. In Feb, traded for Melvin Ely (28)

That means the Spurs players under 30 besides Parker and Ginobili were:
Udrih - In his 3rd season, put up numbers very similar to Sasha
Bonner - Averaged 11.7 mpg in 56 games
White - Played in 6 games, cut after the season
Butler - Played in 11 games, traded after the season
Ely - Played in 6 games, not re-signed

This off-season, the Spurs traded Butler and the draft rights to Luis Scola (27) to Houston for Vassilis Spanoulis (25), who averaged 8.8 mpg in 31 games last season and who has since gone back to Europe.

Given that next season the Spurs will have more players who are over 33 and on the last year of their contract than players under 30, I would think that signing some youth would be paramount. But instead, the Spurs sign a project player who is 30! And the move earns kudos for many Laker fans for its brilliance!

Its about rings and TD. TD makes project players legit. They arent about youth. they have that covered. 30 TD like you mention is still fairly young. They make perfect moves and the ones that dont appear perfect usually are hidden and will continue to be hidden as long as TP/TD are on the court
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject:

^^^ Absolutely. In looking at the comparison to the Lakers, the Spurs have realized they have the best PF of all time in Duncan. They're not going to surround him with young inexperienced project players. Udoke stopped being a project last year. He's got things to work on like everyone else, but being an exceptional perimeter defender at $2M means you bring immediate value and great return on the dollar. They are surrounding Duncan with players who will help him win NOW.

Yeah, they need to find a way to infuse youth into their team. But that needs to be secondary to filling in the cracks that let them extend their championship window for another few years. Udoke doesn't do that by himself, but he's a great example of a role player signing that's going to help them on their way and contribute. The Spurs can start to really worry about youth in another 3 - 5 when Duncan has slowed. But then because they have managed the cap so well, they will probably be in a good position for a quick re-build...
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
They are surrounding Duncan with players who will help him win NOW.

Last season, the Spurs acquired Bonner, White, Butler and Ely. Those 4 played a total of 26 minutes in the playoffs for the Spurs. Did those 4 players help Duncan win NOW?
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject:

Dennis_D wrote:
Socks wrote:
They are surrounding Duncan with players who will help him win NOW.

Last season, the Spurs acquired Bonner, White, Butler and Ely. Those 4 played a total of 26 minutes in the playoffs for the Spurs. Did those 4 players help Duncan win NOW?

Obviously not. I never said every single player they signed was a home run. But look at SA's strategy of acquiring veteran players over the years and good role players who do contribute. The championships tell me their FO is getting it right more than they are getting it wrong. IMO, Udoke is one of them. You're going to tell me SA is NOT acquiring players that help Duncan win now? You're going to tell me Udoke at $2 M is not a good deal? Or do you just believe that Udoke can't really contribute? I'm afraid I'm not really understanding the argument here.
Hawkins
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
Yeah, they need to find a way to infuse youth into their team. But that needs to be secondary to filling in the cracks that let them extend their championship window for another few years. Udoke doesn't do that by himself, but he's a great example of a role player signing that's going to help them on their way and contribute. The Spurs can start to really worry about youth in another 3 - 5 when Duncan has slowed. But then because they have managed the cap so well, they will probably be in a good position for a quick re-build...

The Spurs are just going to try and repeat which won it for them last year and injuries are the whole key if they accomplish it. After the 07-08 season, there are going to be drastic changes on the Spurs. Duncan has already said he will play only 5 more years if healthy and he has two kids under 5 years of age. The Spur's success is all about Tim Duncan.

Pop is seriously rumored to retire. It was said that he wanted to retire this year but would go one more year for a repeat. Horry will be gone. I doubt Finley and Barry will be there. Bowen could retire as well though I'd love to see him as a player-coach. IMHO, I don't think they will repeat (sad) because there's a championship target on their back, they are one year older and the competition got better in Houston if it gels and finally Dallas and Phoenix will play them like its the Finals as their jealousy, frustrations.desperations are that real. All in their division except Phoenix. I hope I'm wrong.
They have Ian Mihinni, Tiago Splitter in Europe. Bonner, Elson, Udoke, Udoke, Vaughn, Oberto are all on short manageable contracts.
Scola is gone, Marcus Williams is still unsigned, Beno Udrich, I suspect will be traded soon. (possibly Clippers according to today's scuttlebutt.), Ely, Vanoulis are gone.

IMO, It's all depends on Pop staying or not but it looks like they have and will have cap space and have salted picks away to rebuild quickly for a new coach and system? if they need to. Does Duncan want to spend his last years on a young and new club? After Duncan retires, Manu will probably stay a Spur for his career. I can see Tony Parker play the free market once Duncan steps down, he's young, still getting better and wiser if he stays as durable as JKIDD.
But RC Buford and CIA Pop with their stealth and secret ways who knows what the future may bring? RC used to be a coach and Pop served as GM/Coach as well so that's a possibility. As long as they have no luxury tax and stay competitive, the Spur's owner Peter Holt will let them run it their way.
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
I never said every single player they signed was a home run. But look at SA's strategy of acquiring veteran players over the years and good role players who do contribute. The championships tell me their FO is getting it right more than they are getting it wrong.

I think the championships mean that Duncan, Parker, Ginobili and Bowen are a championship-caliber group and have cover up the fact that the FO has screwed up consistently the last 5 years (with the exception of Finley, who was a gift from the NBA).

Socks wrote:
IMO, Udoke is one of them. You're going to tell me SA is NOT acquiring players that help Duncan win now?

I don't know what the Spurs FO is doing and it's not clear to me that the Spurs FO knows what it is doing. Last off-season, the Spurs made a bunch of moves to bring youth on to the roster. This off-season, they let most of their youth go and, as their major acquisition, signed someone who is 30. They are very close to becoming Tony Parker and the Over-The-Hill gang.

Socks wrote:
You're going to tell me Udoke at $2 M is not a good deal? Or do you just believe that Udoke can't really contribute? I'm afraid I'm not really understanding the argument here.

I am saying that the Spurs didn't address their primary need this off-season, which was to get some youth. Udoke at $2M is a good deal, but he is not what the Spurs needed. The Lakers addressed their primary need this off-season, which was to upgrade the PG position. And yet posters think the Spurs FO is doing a much better job than the Lakers FO.
PushingtheLimit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject:

Dennis while I agree with you, you cant discredit the Spurs for putting together that core. You have to give credit where it's due, and the Spurs have been winning for several years now.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject:

Ah, clearer for me, thanks. I would disagree on a few points there.

Absolutely Duncan, Parker, Ginobili and Bowen have been the foundations for their championships, no question. I won't talk about the '98-'99 team since it was so fundamentally different, but some of the nice role player signings for the other 3 championship years include:

'02-'03: Stephen Jackson, Malik Rose, Speedy Claxton (in the playoffs at least)
'04-'05: Horry, Barry, Nesterovic, Mohammed
'06-'07: Horry, Finley, Oberto, Barry

I realize these guys are not all stars and they may not be huge contributors. But they all provided a specific set of value at very reasonable contracts. When the bulk of your cash is tied up in the core 4 guys, it's not always easy to keep any sort of talent around them - just witness the Lakers (I know, the Shaq thing was a killer, but still). I'm just saying the SA FO has done that. I don't think they've screwed up a lot and the SA core still needs help to win those championships. I know that core is good, but you still need a couple other quality role players to win championships.

I agree the Spurs are old. I would also say everything is based of TD - he is the guy that keeps that championship window open. So if the Spurs FO can continue to bring in quality role players that can play with TD over the next 5 years then they are doing their best to take advantage of TD - no matter how old those players are. Yes, you want to build for the future simultaneously. But in observing the history of the NBA it seems very hard to build to win now and build for the future at the same time. I'd rather have the FO focused on one of those goals and have a good chance to succeed at it, rather than trying to accomplish two goals at once and not doing well at either.

As far as their primary need of youth, you could argue the Spurs did get a little younger. Bowen at his age is the most likely guy to slip. Udoke provides a cheap means of shoring up this position by giving him more time to rest. Udoke is needed to spell Bowen - IMO an understated need that SA was shrewd to address before it becomes a real problem.

Also, I believe Bowen's contract runs out after this season. Udoke is potentially a guy who can replace him. Agreed, they didn't bring in a young guy with superstar potential or a bunch of young guys with good potential. But really, one young stud is going to be very hard to get (can't draft him, and is there room for him to grow in a win-now climate), and a bunch of young guys wouldn't necessarily get a lot of PT or be able to contribute at the level they need.

I also feel like the Lakers didn't necessarily accomplish their goal as well as they could have. Yeah, Fish is an upgrade. But how much of one? And at what cost? I would've rather our FO signed both Brevin Knight and Udoke if possible - splitting the MLE instead of spending the whole MLE on Fish. This would help our permiter D as well as the PG slot. So I think where some Laker fans are coming is that SA signed a small piece of their puzzle at an undeniable good deal. The Lakers signed a small piece of their puzzle at a much more expensive rate when it seems as though there was greater opportunity.
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
[S]ome of the nice role player signings for the other 3 championship years include:
:

I don't want to get into the details of a team that I don't know well. However, many posters hold Mitch to the standard that he should have drafted or acquired a young, quality starter during the championship years and that he didn't means he is an incompetent GM. To me, the Spurs also fail to meet that standard. Yet the same posters who think Mitch should have acquired a young, quality starter sing the praises of the Spurs FO.

Socks wrote:
I agree the Spurs are old. I would also say everything is based of TD - he is the guy that keeps that championship window open. So if the Spurs FO can continue to bring in quality role players that can play with TD over the next 5 years then they are doing their best to take advantage of TD - no matter how old those players are.

I think this season is likely it for the Spurs, particularly if Finley leaves after this season. Last season was a really lucky one for the Spurs - Dallas getting knocked out in the first round and no major injuries despite being an old team.

Socks wrote:
I also feel like the Lakers didn't necessarily accomplish their goal as well as they could have. Yeah, Fish is an upgrade. But how much of one? And at what cost? I would've rather our FO signed both Brevin Knight and Udoke if possible - splitting the MLE instead of spending the whole MLE on Fish. This would help our permiter D as well as the PG slot. So I think where some Laker fans are coming is that SA signed a small piece of their puzzle at an undeniable good deal. The Lakers signed a small piece of their puzzle at a much more expensive rate when it seems as though there was greater opportunity.

This isn't a Lakers thread, so I will just say I disagree. I state my opinion of Knight here.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject:

I hear you. Some fans are definitely unreasonable. I for one don't feel that Mitch's inability to go get young starter quality players during our championship years reflects on him. You just can't do it with today's salary cap and it doesn't make sense when you're trying to fill in cracks that require a veteran presence.

And agreed, it will be challenging for the Spurs this year. They also haven't shown an ability to repeat. But I think it's after this year that the only guys they will have under contract are TD, Parker, Ginobili and now Udoke. That leaves a lot of flexibility to infuse youth and skill, but also a lot of downside risk for them in trying to rebuild for a final run at a few championships.

I also agree with you on some trepidation around Knight's fit. He's not an ideal fit skill-wise though I like the different look he'd bring combined with Farmar and Critt since Knight would probably only get about 20MPG anyway, but as you say it's a different discussion. I'd just rather have gotten two players to address our multiple needs instead of just the one.
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
I hear you. Some fans are definitely unreasonable. I for one don't feel that Mitch's inability to go get young starter quality players during our championship years reflects on him. You just can't do it with today's salary cap and it doesn't make sense when you're trying to fill in cracks that require a veteran presence.

And agreed, it will be challenging for the Spurs this year. They also haven't shown an ability to repeat. But I think it's after this year that the only guys they will have under contract are TD, Parker, Ginobili and now Udoke. That leaves a lot of flexibility to infuse youth and skill, but also a lot of downside risk for them in trying to rebuild for a final run at a few championships.

I also agree with you on some trepidation around Knight's fit. He's not an ideal fit skill-wise though I like the different look he'd bring combined with Farmar and Critt since Knight would probably only get about 20MPG anyway, but as you say it's a different discussion. I'd just rather have gotten two players to address our multiple needs instead of just the one.

And we wind up agreeing a lot more than I first thought. BTW, the Spurs have TD, Parker, Ginobili, Udoke, Oberto, Bonner and Vaughn under contract for next season. They will be probably be under the salary cap by roughly the amount of the MLE, with 7-8 players to sign.
hi_ma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject:

TD can make worse players look better than Kobe can. Thats really what it comes down to. Its the gift of a legendary Big. Thats why they can sign below avg. guys and succeed. I love TP but he aint leading the league in Pts. in the paint if TD isnt hanging around
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: