Blackberry curve 8310 vs Iphone
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject:

$600 is too much for a phone. My phone is $600 but I got it for free through work....I would never consciously spend that much on a phone.

I've played around with an iphone...its cool....i like the interface and the menus. The slow internet would kill me as I surf the web in strange locations that don't have wifi on my phone (restaurants, etc). The keyboard...when I was playing around with it, it was annoying and slow. Maybe its training to get used to it.

The camera and MP3 functions I could personally give a damn about. I use my camera on my phone rarely and I have a media player but don't want to use it as it drains battery life.
Ares24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject:

chef wrote:
$600 is too much for a phone. My phone is $600 but I got it for free through work....I would never consciously spend that much on a phone.

I've played around with an iphone...its cool....i like the interface and the menus. The slow internet would kill me as I surf the web in strange locations that don't have wifi on my phone (restaurants, etc). The keyboard...when I was playing around with it, it was annoying and slow. Maybe its training to get used to it.

The camera and MP3 functions I could personally give a damn about. I use my camera on my phone rarely and I have a media player but don't want to use it as it drains battery life.

you bring up a good point. For those iphone users. how is the battery?
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject:

regarding the blackberry, I do not like the firmware. Things are too hidden just to do simple things....also the keyboard on the pearl is too small...my brother has the tmobile one..

I use the HTC 6700..HTC makes good smartphones, however they are using windows mobile....i actually like windows mobile......

the plus with blackberry is that they go and deliver your emails instantly....they sync with the server....the HTC at least you have to set it to download messages at intervals......I presume this is the same with the iphone since you enter the pop info

When my phone breaks, I'll upgrade to another HTC....they have the TOUCH and the MOGUL on sprint (which has probably one of the better High speed data networks out there and its only 15 a month).
kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject:

chef wrote:

The iPhone is 399 now. Not 600.

The EDGE network isn't great but it isn't a disaster either. I get plenty of web use from it every month. I think I DL'd 16GB worth of data last month and that is with light use.

Battery life is good. But I just recharge it every day anyway, which has been recommended by various users.

Texting is great because it separates the conversations. So you don't have multiple texts from different people on the same page. Instead, the iPhone lays them out as if you were IMing someone.

The keyboard is incredibly good, especially for typos. I know there are some that like a tactile feel, but Apple did a good job in compensating for that.

Lastly, it syncs perfectly with your computer, is the best iPod out there and the video display is probably the best seen on a phone.

I know I am biased because I am an Apple-file but honestly, the iPhone is the best, first gen product I have ever bought.

The Wii comes in at a very close 2nd.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject:

kevin wrote:

The EDGE network isn't great but it isn't a disaster either. I get plenty of web use from it every month. I think I DL'd 16GB worth of data last month and that is with light use.

Battery life is good. But I just recharge it every day anyway, which has been recommended by various users.

Texting is great because it separates the conversations. So you don't have multiple texts from different people on the same page. Instead, the iPhone lays them out as if you were IMing someone.

The keyboard is incredibly good, especially for typos. I know there are some that like a tactile feel, but Apple did a good job in compensating for that.

Lastly, it syncs perfectly with your computer, is the best iPod out there and the video display is probably the best seen on a phone.

I know I am biased because I am an Apple-file but honestly, the iPhone is the best, first gen product I have ever bought.

Isn't it 399 with a 2-year activation? I still wouldn't pay 400 for a phone. I haven't actually bought a new phone since like 2001. I have insurance and every time my phone breaks (about a year) I get a new one. They upgrade me everytime.

Sure, its a cool gadget but if you actually NEED that phone is another story.

The keyboard on the HTCs are really nice....I also use a Stowaway bluetoooth keyboard when I'm on the road...it saves me from having to bring my laptop everywhere.
kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject:

chef wrote:
kevin wrote:

Isn't it 399 with a 2-year activation? I still wouldn't pay 400 for a phone. I haven't actually bought a new phone since like 2001. I have insurance and every time my phone breaks (about a year) I get a new one. They upgrade me everytime.

Sure, its a cool gadget but if you actually NEED that phone is another story.

The keyboard on the HTCs are really nice....I also use a Stowaway bluetoooth keyboard when I'm on the road...it saves me from having to bring my laptop everywhere.

Activation is a whole nuther story. 2 years activation is the norm now and the iPhone, in spite of its 399 price tag, actually comes out cheaper than most smartphones that also require a long term contract.

I don't think anyone needs an iPhone. I had a POS phone for the longest time and never had a problem or a desire for anything better. But once I had a taste of the sweet life, I was hooked.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject:

that being said, if it were me, I would wait until the 3G iphones drop. I am too net-dependant to be able to live off a slow connection and in using the iphone, it is slow when surfing web pages. Also when they do drop, you are likely not going to get any kind of "rebate" or "deal" from apple.

I would not get a blackberry as I don't like them personally as I find their menu system pretty sorry.

HOWEVER, I would get the Tmobile curve...this has a feature that lets you go onto WIFI hotspots and use that as a kind of VOIP. If you travel internationally you will save a ton of money by using your phone in wifi areas.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject:

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=1335

UMA Technology

Unlicensed Mobile Access (UMA) technology enables access to GSM and GPRS mobile services over unlicensed spectrum, including Bluetooth™ and WiFi™. Highlights of UMA Technology:

* Seamless delivery of mobile voice and data services over unlicensed wireless networks.
* Provides the same mobile identity on Cellular RAN and unlicensed wireless networks.
* Seamless transitions (roaming and handover) between Cellular RAN and unlicensed wireless networks.
* Preserves investment in existing/future mobile core network infrastructure
* Independent of underlying unlicensed spectrum technology (e.g. WiFi™, Bluetooth™)
* Transparent to existing, standard CPE devices (e.g. access points, routers and modems)
* Utilizes standard “always on" broadband IP access networks (e.g. DSL, Cable, T1/E1, Broadband Wireless, FTTH…)
* Security equivalent to current GSM mobile networks
* No impact to operations of Cellular RAN (e.g. spectrum engineering, cell planning,…)
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Is there any way to take a regular phone, one that does not use Wi-Fi, and use it out of country? If I travel to South America or Europe, as are my plans for next summer, can I take my cell phone so I can communicate, or would it not work (or be too expensive)?

EDIT: Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread, it is just that someone brought this up so I thought I would ask. If need be, I can begin a new thread dedicated to this.

oh, and I just have a regular phone from Verizon. No Wi-Fi or 3G or anything fancy like the Blackberry or iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
Is there any way to take a regular phone, one that does not use Wi-Fi, and use it out of country? If I travel to South America or Europe, as are my plans for next summer, can I take my cell phone so I can communicate, or would it not work (or be too expensive)?

EDIT: Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread, it is just that someone brought this up so I thought I would ask. If need be, I can begin a new thread dedicated to this.

oh, and I just have a regular phone from Verizon. No Wi-Fi or 3G or anything fancy like the Blackberry or iPhone.

It depends on what networks the countries you are visitng use. Most of the world uses GSM...a few asian countries use CDMA.

You may have to switch to AT&T or Tmobile if you want to do europe...HOWEVER there is a World Edition Blackberry on Tmobile that has CDMA and can use GSM.

Its really expensive to roam internationally though...like a buck or two a minute I believe. That's why if that Tmobile UMA Wifi thing works on the blackberry on WIFI networks in other countries, you could potentially use that.......and it would just use your standard plan minutes.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3504_7-6253284-5.html that shows you verizon's coverage. You do have to call them and activate international roaming...my Sprint phone worked fine in Mexico.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, chef, that is really helpful. I will check with Verizon more now that it seems possible.

Now to find out if my phone has CDMA or GSM or ABC and XYZ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
Thanks, chef, that is really helpful. I will check with Verizon more now that it seems possible.

Now to find out if my phone has CDMA or GSM or ABC and XYZ

All Verizon Phones use CDMA. One phone on Verizon has CDMA + GSM, and that's the Blackberry "World Edition" 8830.
Ares24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Just an update guys. i bought the iphone and ive had it for like 2 weeks now. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thx for the info guys!

BUt i am havving a bit of a problem.... i bought a couple of vids from itunes but its not letting me put them on my iphone. any ideas?

**edit** i have updated both my iphone and itunes.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
got an Iphone for the wife. She is inlove with it, its really an amazing little device!

I see. So you are saying it is much more than a communications device, huh?
kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Ares24 wrote:
Just an update guys. i bought the iphone and ive had it for like 2 weeks now. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thx for the info guys!

BUt i am havving a bit of a problem.... i bought a couple of vids from itunes but its not letting me put them on my iphone. any ideas?

What type of videos are you trying to put on there? QT vids will almost always work. WM will not.
Ares24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject:

kevin wrote:
Ares24 wrote:

What type of videos are you trying to put on there? QT vids will almost always work. WM will not.

i downloaded the vid straight from itunes. also i tryd putting my music and it doesnt let me. i try draggin the music but it doesnt work.

i hooked up my cousins ipod touch and it worked perfectly...both music and vids.
Ares24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject:

help?
kobekillinu2nite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject:

LaKeRsLiVe wrote:
The Curve has nether Wi-fi nor 3G capabilities.

BS, i have the curve for TMobile and it has Wifi. The curve for AT&T does NOT have Wifi.

I bought the curve due to the fact it had all the options i wanted in the phone same as iphone, BUT, the kicker???

I TEXT A LOT!!! I couldnt try to use the iphone for that. There is a lot of nice software for the curve. The internet you can choose the viewing you desire. if you wanna make it full web page and use a cursor using your trackball, you can, OR you can use the web and make it where it looks right on your phone.

I have found a site that i can watch all streaming youtube videos and more on. It makes it nice.

The 2 Megapixel camera with BRIGHT flash makes it sweet.

Im a fan of my Blackberry Curve for Tmobile. Always on LG with it as well.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject:

My wife and I are with Verizon. KT expires in May. She wants the iPhone. Verizon has a phone very similar (I forgot the name of it) so I am willing to give them both a test. Does anyone know the name of it?
kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject:

Ares24 wrote:
help?

Videos shouldn't work in the "music" folder. I believe it should go in either the TV or Movie section. Then you can update the iPhone when it connected by selecting to put those videos on it.

I had the same problem with some other videos.
kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
My wife and I are with Verizon. KT expires in May. She wants the iPhone. Verizon has a phone very similar (I forgot the name of it) so I am willing to give them both a test. Does anyone know the name of it?

There is a LG one that just came out. It has gotten go to so-so reviews.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:

Verizon Voyager
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject:

kevin wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:

There is a LG one that just came out. It has gotten go to so-so reviews.

Thanks man!
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:

Verizon Voyager

Thanks man. It looks good. I'll have to check it out to see which one my wife will like. Thanks again man!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: