post and pivot brought this up and I must ask

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: post and pivot brought this up and I must ask

Why is it that you can not type Kobe Cryant but can type Puke Walton? Or Lamar Odumb?

For the record I have never even typed Kobe C-r-y-a-n-t until P+P brought it up. Nor do I think it's fun to moderate when users do that, but why the huge double standard for Kobe?

This kind of stuff is why I took a hiatus last January.

Again, I do not agree with player labelling like that nor do I do it much, but I just want to suggest to the PTB .. it'd be cool of you guys to consider changing that for other players too.

Discussions do not get better with any sort of tag like that - but IMO should apply to a number of Lakers, not just one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: post and pivot brought this up and I must ask

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Why is it that you can not type Kobe Bryant but can type Puke Walton? Or Lamar Odumb?

For the record I have never even typed Kobe C-r-y-a-n-t until P+P brought it up. Nor do I think it's fun to moderate when users do that, but why the huge double standard for Kobe?

This kind of stuff is why I took a hiatus last January.

Again, I do not agree with player labelling like that nor do I do it much, but I just want to suggest to the PTB .. it'd be cool of you guys to consider changing that for other players too.

Discussions do not get better with any sort of tag like that - but IMO should apply to a number of Lakers, not just one.

that was the first time i actually typed it like that. as stated in my original post in the other thread. i was just joking around. but i noticed how it changed it back to Bryant. so i tried the Puke thing. and realized that we're trying to protect the star player but throwing the role guys to the wolves. is that fair?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject:

can't say i'm surprised. we even have clever little macros for people that we're automatically told to dismiss. so for certain people we can't even type their real names.

why don't we just do away with all that stuff?
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject:

Yeah, there's a set of those word substitutions that have been around for a long time. I recently brought up in the Staff forum that some of the ones aimed a specific writers are beneath LakersGround, and they're now gone. I have mixed feelings about the c-r-y-a-n-t one, but I like to err on the side of free speech. I leave it up to Phil to determine exactly what our word substitution standards should be in cases like that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject:

I've been a huge critic of the folks who insist on using insulting nicknames for Laker players. And frankly I'm not a big fan of it for non-Laker players either. Though, I don't think the recent "protection" of Kobe and lack of dealing with the others is a matter of choosing him over the rest of the team, but more likely something having to do with it being a recent development while some of the older things mentioned (Puke, Odumb, Sucky Crapkins, etc.) are not used as much and maybe just haven't been seen recently.

My personal preference would be that the offending text isn't autocensored, but rather that the person using it be benched for a while.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject:

^I agree, I don't think defaming our own players should be allowed on this forum and my preference would also be discipline for those who used such immature name-calling for our own players.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Frankly, most of those names are pretty juvenile (not to mention they lack creativity). I'm all for getting rid of a lot of the more frequently used ones. But I don't think it's worth the mods efforts to do any more than that with the filter. Three or four, fine. Every little variation? Forget it.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject:

^Getting rid of "puke" and "odumb" would be a good start for me.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: