What does a player need to be considered "great"?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is the most important thing a player needs to be "great"?
Good Stats
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Championships
50%
 50%  [ 14 ]
Player/Fan Popularity
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Good Attitude/Work Ethic/Teamwork
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Heart/Desire to Win
25%
 25%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 28

bmaczback
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: What does a player need to be considered "great"?

Player Greatness...
bmaczback
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What does a player need to be considered "great"?

any thoughts?
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject:

I'd say probably all of them, except for maybe fan/player popularity, since some great players aren't well liked. But I've noticed that all truly great players in any sport really have the last quality, where they are almost compulsively competitive. I heard a story on Sportcentury about how some college coach once beat Jordan in a game of pool, and Jordan was so pissed he didn't talk to him for a while after that.
bmaczback
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
I heard a story on Sportcentury about how some college coach once beat Jordan in a game of pool, and Jordan was so pissed he didn't talk to him for a while after that.

hitmankb
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject:

I went with Heart/Desire to Win!!! Reggie Miller, Karl Malone, Stockton, GP, Barkley, are all great players without championships! Robert Horry (although he has rings) is a great player because of his ability to come through in the clutch, IE his desire to win! Just my opinion!
AllorNothing on Ron Artest
Quote:
He should be let go of his contract by the Kings to pursue a topnotch psychiatrist in LA.
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject:

You can give many "surface-level" characteristics, of a player's "greatness"... For me, however, true greatness results from some kind of deep-rooted devotion, to what someone believes in. This devotion, or belief, is so deep, and so all-encompassing, that a person is willing to give up their life, in the quest to fulfill a goal - related to this deep, inner belief.

You might equate this inner drive to what it took for Alexander The Great, to conquer that vast Hellenic Empire, or for Marie Curie to make her scientific discoveries.

For a basketball player, to be truly great, he, or she, would have to be so devoted, to being the best basketball player, that it becomes the basis of the rest of their life. A great basketball player cleaves to true basketball fundamentals, that have been handed down, through history, even against all adversity. At the same time, a great basketball player may even go beyond the accepted knowledge, and add his, or her, own twist.
bmaczback
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject:

LakersSpirit wrote:
You can give many "surface-level" characteristics, of a player's "greatness"... For me, however, true greatness results from some kind of deep-rooted devotion, to what someone believes in. This devotion, or belief, is so deep, and so all-encompassing, that a person is willing to give up their life, in the quest to fulfill a goal - related to this deep, inner belief.

You might equate this inner drive to what it took for Alexander The Great, to conquer that vast Hellenic Empire, or for Marie Curie to make her scientific discoveries.

For a basketball player, to be truly great, he, or she, would have to be so devoted, to being the best basketball player, that it becomes the basis of the rest of their life. A great basketball player cleaves to true basketball fundamentals, that have been handed down, through history, even against all adversity. At the same time, a great basketball player may even go beyond the accepted knowledge, and add his, or her, own twist.

so i guess ai and shaq can just leave themselves out of this discussion...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: