Papa John's is offically dead in Cleveland due to Lebron Diss

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Papa John's is offically dead in Cleveland due to Lebron Diss

Shame this series is over this was just getting good...

http://www.sogoodblog.com/2008/05/03/papa-johns-pizza-hates-the-state-of-ohio/

Quote:
Does Papa John’s Pizza Hate the State of Ohio?
May 3rd, 2008 · 24 Comments
Update 5/4. 1:30 AM: The snowball effect continues. Someone has started a Facebook group titled “Cavs fans that will never eat Papa Johns ever again”

Update 5/4, 12:15 AM: Earlier today the Cleveland Plain Dealer interviewed me for a story about these shirts. Their story has now been posted on the Plain Dealer website. It notes, among other things, that the decision to give out these shirts was NOT authorized by the corporate office.

Update 5/3, 11:30 PM: Less than 24 hours after So Good broke the story, someone has put up a website called Boycott Papa John’s.

Update 5/3, 8:00 PM: Deadspin, FanIQ, Cold Mud, AOL’s Fanhouse and more than a dozen other online communities have picked up the story.

Update 5/3, 3:15 PM: This story is starting to spread like wildfire. Cavs fans online are already suggesting a boycott HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE. In the comments, a delivery driver for Papa John’s writes:

“We received two faxes talking about the shirt,followed by threats to boycott.”

A General Manager for a Northeast Ohio Papa John’s adds:

“we have received calls of people wanting to boycott us, but hopefully something will come out ASAP from Corporate as a nationwide apology.”

Original Post 5/3 2:00 AM:

Why would Papa John’s make a marketing decision that has the potential to anger hundreds of thousands of Ohio customers?

Earlier tonight I attended the Washington Wizards and Cleveland Cavaliers playoff game 6 at the Verizon Center in DC. Over the course of my night, one thing really surprised me. A few fans around the arena had shirts mocking Lebron James. The shirts had the number 23 on them, with the word “Crybaby” across the back. This kind of taunting is common at NBA arenas. But what was most shocking was that the shirts featured the Papa John’s logo, and appeared to be sponsored by, and paid for by, Papa John’s Pizza.

Lebron James is one of, if not THE most popular player in the NBA. Not only that, he is beloved in the state of Ohio. I was perplexed why Papa John’s Pizza would put their name on a t-shirt that so openly taunted such a well-liked athlete. The decision to sponsor these shirts seems incredibly ill advised.

The only rational would be if Papa John’s has a lot of franchises in Washington, DC, but none in the state of Ohio. However, as a national chain, I was skeptical that they didn’t have a presence in the state. Sure enough, a quick check on the Papa John’s website, using their restaurant locater, shows that there are TEN different Papa John’s pizza outlets just within 12 miles of the Cleveland Cavaliers arena.

So the question now is, why did Papa John’s decide to sponsor a promotion that will surely piss off a ton of Cavaliers fans and Ohio residents? Will Papa John’s start to lose business because angry residents don’t appreciate them openly mocking the most popular athlete in the state of Ohio? Will this end up hurting Papa John’s profits, or damage their company name? Will it lead to a boycott of Papa John’s by Cleveland Cavaliers fans?

Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject:

hahahahaha
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject:

people are too sensitive
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject:

Quote:
A few fans around the arena had shirts mocking Lebron James. The shirts had the number 23 on them, with the word “Crybaby” across the back. This kind of taunting is common at NBA arenas.

That kind of taunting actually only arose in the Wizards series. It was a quote from Haywood, no? It's never been done by another team.

Quote:
So the question now is, why did Papa John’s decide to sponsor a promotion that will surely piss off a ton of Cavaliers fans and Ohio residents?

Because the game was in DC.
stillmatic
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject:

Holy crap, this is getting out of control
KOBEGASOL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject:

As with John Stockton's, I don't call throwing the ball into KarL Malone who is posting up, then he catches it, then does a turn around J in front of a defender an assist.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject:

Update: PJ's is doing damage control

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2008/05/papa_johns_issues_apology_offe.html

Quote:
Papa John's issues apology, pizza deal
Posted by Laura Johnston May 04, 2008 18:30PM
Categories: BREAKING NEWS
Looks like Papa John's is eating humble pie.

Or rather, serving it up to Clevelanders - for a whopping 23 cents.

(Sorry about the cheesy pun. Oops, just did it again.)

The pizza chain issued an apology Sunday for the No. 23 T-shirts emblazoned with the word "Crybaby" and the Papa John's logo, which Washington Wizards fans flaunted during Friday's playoff game in Washington DC. To show the chain's sincerity, its more than 40 area stores on Thursday will sell customers a large one-topping pie for 23 cents.

The company will donate those 23 cents from every pizza, plus $10,000, to the Cavaliers Youth Fund.

"At Papa John's, we're huge fans of Cleveland, the Cavs and LeBron James," said the company statement. "Everyone wins, and we wish the same for the Cavs and LeBron through the playoffs."

The shirts stemmed from No. 23, LeBron James', complaints about hard fouls he thought were intended to injure. Wizards Center Brendan Haywood labeled him a crybaby.

Too bad the Cavs took Game 6 105-88. And we won 23-cent pizza.

Guess that makes it no harm, no foul.
OscarWang
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject:

- Kobe Bryant
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject:

23 cents for a pizza wow

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The only rational would be if Papa John’s has a lot of franchises in Washington, DC, but

Isn't the word "rationale"?

And people will soon forget.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject:

prisma8slg wrote:

23 cents for a pizza wow

I know what if LeBron's jersey was 00

Seriously my brother lived in Cleveland 10 years ago if only this existed back then..
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Papa John's doesn't put any sauce on their crap.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

I prefer Papa John's style of saucing. I like sauce, but not a ton of it. I don't get pizza for the sauce. That said, I'd much rather get a pizza from a small local place than Papa John's.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
C M B wrote:

I prefer Papa John's style of saucing. I like sauce, but not a ton of it. I don't get pizza for the sauce. That said, I'd much rather get a pizza from a small local place than Papa John's.

Hmm. I love when the crust is saturated in it. Most pizza places don't put enough of it on there (for my taste). I always make an extra sauce request and even then it sometimes comes dry. BJ's, Pizza Hut, and East Side Mario's are never guilty of this. Domino's is dry. Numero uno is dry. I agree on the mom & pop places.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
elgato
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject:

So by wishing Cleveland success, are they going to lose business in both Washington and Boston?
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject:

elgato wrote:
So by wishing Cleveland success, are they going to lose business in both Washington and Boston?

Wow I didn't even think about that wouldn't that be a hilarious twist..
elgato
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject:

Papa Johns is probably a franchise business. So it was probably the decision of a D.C. Papa Johns franchise owner to sponsor the shirts.
Ozendorph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject:

Marketing stunt ftw. Papa John's is getting talked about on every sports show coast to coast.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: