Best performance with 40+ points in one half?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Best performance with 40+ points in one half?
Kobe Bryant 42 (1st half)
51%
 51%  [ 48 ]
Wilt Chamberlain 59 (2nd half, no OT)
39%
 39%  [ 37 ]
Michael Jordan 42 (2nd half, no OT)
8%
 8%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 93

Superman Begins
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Best performance with 40+ points in one half?

Although Jordan scored 42 in a 2nd half, took over and dominated for the win, I would still pick Wilt's 59 despite it was a blow-out with his team winning by 22 points. He finished with 100. It's all about the century mark, a record that could never be touched. Wilt's 59 in a half just embarasses both Jordan's and Kobe's numbers.
Superman Begins
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject:

I guarantee, by the end of the week, Wilt Chamberalin will get 90% of the votes, may be 100!!!!
c728
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject:

I'm going on a limb to say that Wilt's 59 was more impressive than 42. I have no doubt that everyone else will agree since the great majority of us saw Wilt accomplish that feat 43 years ago.
bumrusherer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject:

seen as everybody will vote wilt..then i'll vote for kobe.

the variety of shots he used, to get those 42 points, were quite remarkable. Before the 3 second rule came into place. I heard that Wilt would just stand near the basket all game and just dunk.
drzucchini
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Best performance with 40+ points in one half?

Superman Begins wrote:
Wilt's 59 in a half just embarasses both Jordan's and Kobe's numbers.

Substantially different era.
Superman Begins
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject:

Quote:
seen as everybody will vote wilt..then i'll vote for kobe.

NOOO!! There goes my projection of a perfect Wilt domination!
OH well, he's still going to win.
CorkyTomjanovich
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Best performance with 40+ points in one half?

drzucchini wrote:
Superman Begins wrote:
Wilt's 59 in a half just embarasses both Jordan's and Kobe's numbers.

Substantially different era.

Correct.
Superman Begins
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject:

wow, I'm surprised Kobe and Wilt are tied at 8 a piece.
startrex
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Best performance with 40+ points in one half?

Superman Begins wrote:
Although Jordan scored 42 in a 2nd half, took over and dominated for the win, I would still pick Wilt's 59 despite it was a blow-out with his team winning by 22 points. He finished with 100. It's all about the century mark, a record that could never be touched. Wilt's 59 in a half just embarasses both Jordan's and Kobe's numbers.

You got to factor in the fact that there were not so many good centers to stop chamberlain just like when Shaq was a dominant one. With less competition fro m the biggies, it wouldn't be hard to imagine a 7-1 dominating his era in scoring. Kobe however, has so many "stoppers," individually or as a group or players or as a team. Also, usually player got hot in the second half. Kobe getting so hot in the first half is something, IMO.
Superman Begins
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject:

I guess Wilt is going to lose this one
jonw15
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject:

I've created a voting script that will ensure Kobe's victory in this poll, PM me for the goods!
The Mike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject:

I have to pick Kobe's only because that is the only one I saw, the others I had only heard about.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Wilt played at a different time. When he started, it was a heavily white league going through a transition. Bill Russell was the first black man inducted into the Hall of Fame. That wasn't until 1975. When Russell and Chamberlain came into the NBA, they took advantage of a weak league.

http://www.hoophall.com/halloffamers/year.htm
PiPisKobesByatch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject:

man. it wasn't fair back then.. it's like college players beating up on junior varsity players. those stats were horribly inflated.
LucasWhite
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject:

Remember that MJ was the one that Kobe put the double-nickel on (including 42 in the first half). It was poetic justice for a number of reasons.
Superman Begins
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Remember that MJ was the one that Kobe put the double-nickel on (including 42 in the first half). It was poetic justice for a number of reasons.

that's funny, Jordan never guarded Kobe once in that game. Common you guys, we are all Kobe fans here, but lets not come up with false and ridiculous things just to make ourselves feel better.
Raptor2k
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject:

LucasWhite wrote:

Sigh. Make that a 42 year-old Jordan (who wasn't even guarding Kobe) vs a 25 year-old Kobe.
TheGreatKobe8
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject:

angel wrote:
Wilt played at a different time. When he started, it was a heavily white league going through a transition. Bill Russell was the first black man inducted into the Hall of Fame. That wasn't until 1975. When Russell and Chamberlain came into the NBA, they took advantage of a weak league.

No weaker than the 29-team, watered down mess Kobe was playing against when he scored his points. There are some pretty wacky rationalizations by the resident homers picking Kobe's 42 over Wilt's 59 - but this takes the cake. Kobe is my favorite player, but let's not get silly. It was the same 24 minute period.
TheGreatKobe8
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Superman Begins wrote:
Quote:

that's funny, Jordan never guarded Kobe once in that game. Common you guys, we are all Kobe fans here, but lets not come up with false and ridiculous things just to make ourselves feel better.

DING DING DING.
TheGreatKobe8
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject:

PiPisKobesByatch wrote:
man. it wasn't fair back then.. it's like college players beating up on junior varsity players. those stats were horribly inflated.

How about that... yet no one brings that up when Shaq and Wilt are compared statistically. I happen to agree with you to an extent, but not a 17-point extent. 17 points is a big half itself.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject:

It was practically an all white league with very few international players. It was a very weak league.
jbone2308
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Can someone tell me what Jordan game this was? Also was this the most Jordan scored in a half? If this was the most Jordan scored in a half then Kobe tied Jordan in two categories in his 42 in a half game.

Kobe scored 23 consecutive points tieing Jordans record and 42 in a half matching Jordans best.

What a game that was. But Wilts numbers are just insane and won't be touched. I feel only Kobe or Jordan could touch them, they can score that well when on fire. I actually give Kobe a slight edge because Kobe gets on fire and can nail around 8-9 3's along with foul shots, dunks, layups, and jumpers. Jordan gets on fire it's not really 3's except for a select few games.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: