Which legendary athelete retired in the worst way? Magic, Jordan, J. Rice?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which player went out in the worst way?
250-pound Magic
47%
 47%  [ 17 ]
Airless Jordan
30%
 30%  [ 11 ]
Bench-warmer Rice
22%
 22%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 36

Billy Thompson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject: Which legendary athelete retired in the worst way? Magic, Jordan, J. Rice?

With the recent long overdue retirement of Jerry Rice, I couldn't help thinking of the other greats that retired under almost embarrassing conditions. Here's a breakdown of my top 3.

Magic Johnson
In the NBA All-Star game of 1992, Magic adds a buzzer-beating 3-pointer to his MVP performance. It would have been the perfect way to end his career. However, we all know how it ended. In 1996, a "fat" 250+ pound Magic came back to the Lakers only to hinder the development of young Laker stars. He was no longer able to penetrate the lane and was guarded by power forwards. Younger atheletes like Joe Smith lit him up. Some newer generation fans who weren't able to see the young Magic play had only this sad showing to remember him by.

Michael Jordan
After pushing off on Bryon Russell and hitting the game-clinching shot in the Finals, it would have been a storybook ending on the greatest of all time's career. Sadly, Jordan came back to the league on the lottery-bound Wizards to show flashes of his former self. Younger stars like Stackhouse, McGrady, and Bryant gave him sore reminders that he wasn't the player he once was.

Jerry Rice
Rice silenced all critics by returning to glory with a Probowl and Superbowl apearance with the Oakland Raiders. Instead of retiring upon the news he wouldn't start for the Raiders 2 seasons later, he pouted and got traded to the Seahawks only to see limited duty. His last stop was with the Denver Broncos where he slipped to the 4th (and possibly 5th) receiver spot behind the below-average Darius Watts.

I'd have to go with Magic. Although his return in 1996 brought some excitment back to Laker basketball, it eventually broke my heart to see him guarded by guys like Mark Bryant and Horace Grant. The low spot of his comeback was highlighted by an ejection when he bumped an offical.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject:

Magic coming back, as out of game shape as he was, was tragic. I remeber the Houston series being hard to watch though. Club Ced...Del saying that Van Exel and Magic think they're the coach...that was rough.
But I still remember the move he put on Spree at his first game back...beautiful.
SoCalRebel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject:

Rice. Being told that at this stage in your career that you're worse than Darius Watts is quite embarrasing. Glad he finally realized he was running on empty.
word's-eye view
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject:

Magic may have been a shadow of his former self, but he was playing professional basketball while HIV positive, and imo he has to get serious credit for that. When you take into account what that takes both emotionally and physically, and what it must have meant to people who are afflicted with HIV, I think his comeback is as impressive as any of his achievements during the 80s.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject:

Rice. Did you see the colors he was standing in front of.
hig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject:

I picked Jordan...he had to retire THREE times! That was pathetic.
Sparhawk6
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject:

hig wrote:
I picked Jordan...he had to retire THREE times! That was pathetic.

I believe Magic also retired three times.
dries
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject:

Just a question but didn't Magic put up impressive numbers in his comeback?
Sonicc64
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject:

I pick Jordan, because his comebacks proved once and for all that he is nothing without Basketball.

at least Magic got into business ventures and TV after he reitred.
Billy Thompson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject:

dries wrote:
Just a question but didn't Magic put up impressive numbers in his comeback?

Not to Magic's standards.

PPG = 16.9
APG = 6.9
RPG = 5.7

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KingKobeDubbz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject:

All of them are still icons . They did go out in ways pretty old and dusted. Just remembering there good times was great. Magic coming back the with back to back titles in 87'-88' was nice. ALso turning into a busiiness man with his TGIF"S and Starbucks affiliation. Jordan ending his term with the Bulls with 6 rings in the late nintys . Jerry Rice with all the recieving records. Somewhat exceptable.
SiRQB11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:20 am    Post subject:

Jerry Rice hands down. he's retiring as a bench player
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: