Game Talk
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> All-Time League Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject:

You act like Pierce was an unstoppable force. He averaged 19.6ppg on 46% shooting. Hardly overwhelming. Against LeBron, who actually has the size to battle against him, he shot a woeful 40%. Yeah, he had a great game to close out the series, but how do you know that his game in the ATL will be the 13/23 41pt game, and not the 2/14 4pt game?

You can't use a few flashes and act like Pierce has been unstoppable all year.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
2Cleva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject:

I agree there. Pierce wasn't killing anyone. And he wouldn't kill Rodman. At best he'd get about 25 or so at around 40-45% but that's because Pierce isn't elite quick.

But imagine Rodman trying to guard T-Mac - who never has been tough. With these rules he'd have to play off him because T-Mac would get by him with his 1st step and he can't slow him down.

Few of the top scorers of today would excel in old school rules

Last edited by 2Cleva on Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject:

Well, T-Mac is more of a 2 than a 3. Even if he plays at the 3 sometimes, his game more closely resembles that of a shooting guard. I do agree that Rodman would have trouble against T-Mac, because as you mentioned, McGrady would get by him with his quick first step. However, as you also stated, Pierce doesn't have that same elite quickness.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
TIME
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject:

I dunno, I'm just taking a wild guess here, but if the players were reversed and postandpivot had Rodman, and jamas had Pierce, I think postandpivot would be singing a different tune.

... and Jeffs, don't go cunfusing us with the facts.
jamas33
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject:

oh me and Cleve go a long long way back.. we are having alot of fun.. this is like some fairplay.. one upness routine we do.. its a dance..
jamas33
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject:

2Cleva wrote:
LOL. Jamas - you trying to get on me for pre-emption? Turnabout is fair play.
Or do you not recall you crying about Jordan and Duncan getting preferential treatment as soon as I got them?

In case you don't remember

jamas33 wrote:
I still think Magic is the GOAT. There is not a single player in the game that can play all five position at an All Star Level. NONE.... They might say Lebron, to which I say.. Magic played C in the NBA Finals againts a huge front line vs. Caldwell Jones, Darryl Dawkins, Dr.J, Bobby Jones and he OWNED THEM.. as a rookie.. that means no REF/STERN protection... I dont think MJ or Duncan(looks at the refs if a foul isnt called whenever he misses) can do that. NoOne.. NADA... Like Alicia Keys said.. NO ONE.. NO ONE.. NO ONE...

LOL! That's a great tactic you have. Plant a seed and then get mad and point to the other guy when he does it. I believe Rick Adelman did that - complaining about Phil going public crying to the refs then he went public crying to the refs.

Turnabout is fair game brotha!

No doubt on Rodman onwning Pippen at one time. As soon as Pippen traded in his skirt for some pants, Detroit didn't have a chance against Chicago. We all know the story. Could Rodman do the same to a in-his-prime Hill? Who knows....
Sure he can.. he did it constantly to a Prime Pippen... Pippen's biggest wish came thru the day Rodman signed with San Antonio and the day Rodman signed with the Bulls...

On another Note...
I'm really worried about the next round... Cleve might add George Gervin on my team and I will have problems with minute allocation...
jamas33
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject:

TIME wrote:
Who are you quoting as "evidence" in that last post? You insisting that Rodman could not / would not check Pierce does not mean it would go down like that.

Bowen is a great defender, but anyone that identifies a 30 year old Bowen as a "better defender" than 30 year old Rodman has got to be someone that never really saw Rodman play during those years like I did.

Let me ask you this postandpivot: is there anyone in the history of basketball that you believe could / would check Pierce with new school rules? Or, do you happen to share Pierce's inflated self-opinion that he is an uncheckable force?
Only one guy can stop Prime Paul Pierce with new school rules.. and that is....

Eddie Jones!!!

EDDIE EDDIE EDDIE EDDIE....
jamas33
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Eddie jones (isn't clutch?) - who cares if he's clutch or not? we dont.

Shaq Disagreed
jamas33
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject:

twice
jamas33
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject:

Lakers and Heats...
jamas33
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject:

TWICE....

The Courtship of Eddie's Faulter...

Starring SHAQ O'Neal
Written by:Shaq O'Neal
Produced by: Shaq O'Neal...

"people let me tell you bout my beeeessst friend...."
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject:

Hey, Eddie's not bad. I mean, even in an ATL league, I bet he's good enough to be the first guard off the bench for most of the teams here.

Wait, what? He's starting? On an ATL team? Oh.

hsenation
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject:

okay, stop the Eddie bashing...

I loved him in Coming to America, Nutty Professor I and II, Dr. Doolittle I, II and so on...He was great on SNL as Mr. Robinson, Velvet Jones, and Buckwheat...Don't get me started on Delirious or Raw, I mean, I still do lines from those movies...and did I mention Beverly Hills Cop?

So, stop the bashing of Eddie Murph....

wait, you meant Eddie Jones? Oh, that guy disappeared in the playoffs...

nevermind...keep bashing...
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.
jamas33
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject:

NORRRRRBIIITTT!!!!!

Eddie makes a good fat woman...

wait, you meant Eddie Jones? I have never seen him on TV... and I've been watching the NBA playoffs all my life...
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject:

Jeffs wrote:
Well, T-Mac is more of a 2 than a 3. Even if he plays at the 3 sometimes, his game more closely resembles that of a shooting guard. I do agree that Rodman would have trouble against T-Mac, because as you mentioned, McGrady would get by him with his quick first step. However, as you also stated, Pierce doesn't have that same elite quickness.

actually thats not true. how do you think pierce gets by people? he has a very quick FIRST step. now that 2nd, and 3rd step is slower then your grandmas. he's done it to the best defenders. up fake, get your shoulders raised, then he steps. thats all he needs because he knows how to feel your body well enough to manufacturer a shot and get the call. dont tell me you didn't watch him do that all season long this year and into the offs/finals. thats all he did. if you didn't come out, he popped the 3 until you came out. it was very simple basketball. nothing fancy. thats why you guess dont want to give him his due. its nothing at all sexy about his game. he's probably not going to dunk on anyone at this point, he's not going to make any attractive looking layups even if a miracle and 1 goes in. he's going to jump 2 inches off the ground. nothing spectacular. but it works and works well.
TIME
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject:

Yeah, apparently it works so freakishly well that not ONE SINGLE PLAYER in the history of basketball could possibly check him.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject:

jamas33 wrote:
Quote:
Eddie jones (isn't clutch?) - who cares if he's clutch or not? we dont.

Shaq Disagreed

who's fats. i mean snaqs?

Thats when Eddie jones was a 2nd option scorer. you dont need to be or half to be clutch as a 4th or 5th option scorer. anyone who says otherwise is lying and doesn't watch basketball.

Fox wasn't clutch (offensively). how many times did we go to rick fox in the clutch to hit a 3 ball? we didn't. we went to bshaw, robert horry, kobe bryant, shaq on the low block , fisher for 3.

Luc longeley wasn't clutch, that didn't stop him from winning a bunch of rings.

and again, i like how you guys try to ride eddie jones out as if he wasn't an allstar. and i also like how you guys fail to remember that i said, I would go with Elie and fisher also at different points. who were both clutch defenders and shooters. clutch enough to win multiple rings. So again, this idea of "not enough clutchness" is nonsense. we have more clutch then any team in the ATL. not better players by name. but more clutch players. if you say no, prove it. and I'll prove you wrong. There's a reason i chose the guys i chose at that Terrible Draft Slot i ended up with since i got in the league late. I couldn't make a team full of sexy names that would scare everyone on first look. i had to put together a REAL squad that could actually win games no matter what the rules/scenario/ styles of play. i had to put together a squad where egos would never be a problem and every player could co-exist. the better looking teams (with cute names on the roster), have a huge flaw. They have to many ball dominant perimeter scorers, sitting next to ball dominant pg's, and or ball dominant sf's. how is there enough ball to go around? there isn't. and when there isn't enough ball to go around guys ego's become an issue. or at best volume chuckers can't make shots anymore because they no longer have the high volume of touches they are familiar with.

Jones =Lamar odom. which means. he was never a 1st or 3nd option scorer. he was always a 2.5 option/3rd option guy. we just wanted him to be something he wasn't, out of necessity. just like we use to want odom to be a 20ppg scorer because we needed it from some where else out of necessity. but now with gasol we no longer need that. then add bynum we really dont need it. now he can be himself and excel. same thing goes for eddie jones. now he can concentrate on LOCKDOWN defense/steals galore, slashing, and popping the open trey ball.

we have a team full of guys aside from moses, that dont need a 1000 touches to get warm. most of these teams look like the denver nuggets. MELO and AI. two ball dominant/mostly perimeter scorers but (not enough ball to go around). So just like denver each scorer has to take turns scoring. which freezes out everyone else on the team and it also freezes out the superscorer that doesn't have the ball in their hand when its the other guys turn to score. it means when the crunch comes the chance of your usual clutch superscorers making the basket is a lot slimmer then usual. its not about who can hit a clutch shot. most of the superstar clutch guys have never had to be clutch with a cold hand. they were warm with a huge volume of touches early in the game. remember its a fact my guys can play with other superstars and be VERY successful, because of their style of play or because you've seen them do it in real life. These other ATL teams, well its all speculation if Jordan can win with a superstar big or if kobe can win with a superstar PG and superstar SF.

Now the question is, will the judges see this, or will they be sucked in by the sexy names of other teams? we will see.
TIME
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject:

Actually, the only thing I'm surprised about now, is why postandpivot didn't make Pierce his number one draft pick. Afterall, he is the only truly unguardable player in this game.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject:

TIME wrote:
Yeah, apparently it works so freakishly well that not ONE SINGLE PLAYER in the history of basketball could possibly check him.

not in this era of NO TOUCH. can anyone check anyone nowadays? NO. unless its kobe on a non postup SG/SF player in small spirts. what Kobe did to AI back in the day will never happen again with these softy rules. and no he didn't stop him from scoring per se. but yes he locked him down in my opinion. it will never happen again until they change the rules back to atleast allow perimeter defenders to use a forearm.

I showed you the best SF defender in the league at 30 playing Pierce. and pierce went to work on him. I showed you an older pierce playing that same best SF defender(there isn't a better on ball SF defender in the league then Bruce bowen, STILL). Pierce wore him out. and we know bruce is allowed to cheat in this era. So what makes you think Rodman at 30. is light years ahead of the already known Best SF in this era? doesn't add up fellas. sorry drod aint checking pierce like that. rodman better be in foul trouble.
TIME
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject:

Ignore my post above^^^

I remember now why postandpivot did not select the unguardable Paul Pierce with his first draft pick. He instead selected the man who defines greatness... Chris Webber. If you don't believe me, just ask Tyra Banks.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject:

TIME wrote:
Actually, the only thing I'm surprised about now, is why postandpivot didn't make Pierce his number one draft pick. Afterall, he is the only truly unguardable player in this game.

I like how you keep avoiding what i'm saying. IN THIS SOFT ERA OF NO TOUCH on the perimeter. You can't really stop/slow pierce if he is on a team with a shooter at the sg spot, a real pg, an real PF, and serious bigman in the middle. he showed it to you this past season/playoffs/finals. what more do you need? Prove me wrong...
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject:

TIME wrote:
Ignore my post above^^^

I remember now why postandpivot did not select the unguardable Paul Pierce with his first draft pick. He instead selected the man who defines greatness... Chris Webber. If you don't believe me, just ask Tyra Banks.

who i selected with my top 5 draft picks means what? at my slot. see you can't clown me for drafting who i drafted because i had a bad slot. it meant the people you could build a team around were gone before i even had a chance to pick in round 1. thats why i had to go in a totally different direction. let me give you ladies this lesson. what does one do if he can't build around a hall of fame big(snaqs)/sg(mjay)/pg(magic)?

you build a detroit pistons TEAM. where everyone is willing to share the ball for the greater good of the team. a lot of defense in the starting lineup and off the bench. spark off the bench shooters to keep from going on detroit like scoring droughts(check). and leave room just in case you can pull off some magic in free agency. we had Smits at center. then we had to go get Moses. This put a piston like team that could only win under perfect circumstances. in a new realm. now they can win under any circumstance if they do what they're supposed to do.

put it this way, if i had a much better slot. we wouldn't be having this discussion at all. because i would've picked a team that no one could beat. its more then just bignamed players at every position.
L4L
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject:

TIME doesn't need to prove you wrong.

The judges will.
TIME
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
Prove me wrong...

Ok, hold on one second while I hop into the WayBack machine with Mr. Peabody and go grab 30 year old Dennis Rodman to bring him back to our time so he can be burned over and over again by the force of nature, Category Five, hurricane of dominance, Paul Pierce.

Now, just to be clear on what you are saying here...

Pierce averaged how many points last season? 19.6? Pure dominance.

And he averaged how many in the six Finals games against the Lakers? 21.8? And this was being guarded most of the time by those giants of defence that the Lakers have at SF.

And how many did he average over the course of the entire playoffs? 19.7? Raising his game from the regular season an entire tenth of a point. We should call him Big Game Paul.

Keep in mind that NONE of the players guarding Pierce in the playoffs where he averaged a WHOPPING 19.7ppg were ever remotely in Rodman's league as a man defender.

But, yeah, sure, if you want to insist that Rodman could not check him I suppose I should ignore the facts and take your word for it.
TIME
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
TIME wrote:
Ignore my post above^^^

who i selected with my top 5 draft picks means what? at my slot. see you can't clown me for drafting who i drafted because i had a bad slot. it meant the people you could build a team around were gone before i even had a chance to pick in round 1. thats why i had to go in a totally different direction. let me give you ladies this lesson. what does one do if he can't build around a hall of fame big(snaqs)/sg(mjay)/pg(magic)?

you build a detroit pistons TEAM. where everyone is willing to share the ball for the greater good of the team. a lot of defense in the starting lineup and off the bench. spark off the bench shooters to keep from going on detroit like scoring droughts(check). and leave room just in case you can pull off some magic in free agency. we had Smits at center. then we had to go get Moses. This put a piston like team that could only win under perfect circumstances. in a new realm. now they can win under any circumstance if they do what they're supposed to do.

put it this way, if i had a much better slot. we wouldn't be having this discussion at all. because i would've picked a team that no one could beat. its more then just bignamed players at every position.

Ok, believe it or not, I'm not really wanting to argue with you. I just have a thing about guys running their mouths when they don't really know what they are talking about.

Here is the list of players selected after your pick of Chris Webber:

22. Seoul (CandyCanes) - Dwight Howard (07-08) 18
23. La Palma (marloveslakers24) - John Stockton (89-90) 24
24. Los Angeles (Caron1) - Charles Barkley (92-93) 23

Round 2
25. Los Angeles (Caron1) - Walt Frazier (73-74) 27
26. La Palma (marloveslakers24) - Robert Parish (81-82) 20
27. Seoul (CandyCanes) - Chris Paul (07-08) 18
28. New York (postandpivot) - Gary Payton (95-96) 24
29. Manila (hsenation) - Kevin McHale (86-87) 25
30. Fullerton (mike_dee23) - Dominique Wilkins 21
31. Oregon (rdog) - Bil Walton (76-77) 20
32. Siberia (Boris Autobot) - Jason Kidd 21
33. Santa Barbara (Jeffs) - John Havlicek (71-72) 23
34. Bemidji (Chef Green) - Tiny Archibald (72-73) 20
35. Buffalo (Michlake) - Scottie Pippen 24
36. Brooklyn (STiG909) - Dirk Nowitzki 18 (roboto)
37. Tokyo (Mr. Roboto) - Shawn Kemp 16
38. Winona (Soy) - Nate Thurmond (71-72) 20
39. Las Vegas (coville - 2 hours) - Yao Ming 16 (roboto)
40. San Juan (L4L) - Sidney Moncrief (82-83) 22
41. San Francisco (onepinoyboy8) - Oscar Robertson (71-72) 18
42. Hiroshima (minorbravo) - Adrian Dantley (80-81) 18
43. Washington (Laker_Behemoth) - Bernard King (84-85) 18
44. Tahiti (10scott10) - Dikembe Mutombo (95-96) 16
45. Barcelona (Aabs) - Penny Hardaway 22

I see ONE name (maybe 2-3 tops) that I would NOT have taken ahead of Webber if I were choosing in your slot. But, that's just me. What do I know. I mean, I'm the guy that is ignorant enough to believe Rodman could check Paul Pierce.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> All-Time League All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7
Jump to: