Which Laker will have a breakout season???

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which has a breakout season??
Lamar Odom
24%
 24%  [ 17 ]
Kwame Brown
68%
 68%  [ 48 ]
Chris Mihm
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 70

GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Which Laker will have a breakout season???

People have been waiting on Lamar to breakout for a long time...he has the talent but doesn't seem to have any type of aggression that could take him to the next level talent wise...Phil thinks he can get it out of him...we'll see...

Kwame is the epitome of a bust, thus far...but could the high expectations have been too much for the "first HIGH school player to be selected #1 overall"??? Could he have been better served coming out 10th with a chip on his shoulders and something to prove??? Is he just a talented guy with no brains? Or will this be the year that he can slip into the shadows as the silent assassin for this underachieving Laker team???

Mihm was selected 7th in his draft class...touted as the best offensive big with lots of upside...what has he done? Be less than avg thus far...lack of consistency/little b-ball IQ/weak in the paint...but this is supposed to be our last line of defense? Does he have the talent to be more than a backup? Or will he make himself indispensible with his D?

Who shows up to silence critics?

Last edited by GameCock-MD on Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
VonWafer&KobeBryantFa
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Kwame!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject:

All 3 of them mainly Lamar and Kwame
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Laker will have a breakout season???

GameCock-MD wrote:
People have been waiting on Lamar to breakout for a long time...he has the talent but doesn't seem to have any type of aggression that could take him to the next level talent wise...Phil thinks he can get it out of him...we'll see...

Kwame is the epitome of a bust, thus far...but could the high expectations have been too much for the "first HIGH school player to be selected #1 overall"??? Could he have been better served coming out 10th with a chip on his shoulders and something to prove??? Is he just a talented guy with no brains? Or will this be the year that he can slip into the shadows as the silent assassin for this underachieving Laker team???

Mihm was selected 7th in his draft class...touted as the best offensive big with lots of upside...what has he done? Be less than avg thus far...lack of consistency/little b-ball IQ/weak in the paint...but this is supposed to be our last line of defense? Unlike the other 2, this is a contract year for him...this will sell him to the world...this will determine if his next contract is on HIS terms...but does he have the talent to be more than a backup? Or will he make himself indispensible with his D?

Who shows up to silence critics?

He still have 2 years left.....
Lakermission08
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Lamar Odom was totally misused in Rudy T's System. In fact everybody was. Iso Kobe and expect everyone to have good seasons..... I dont think so. If Lamar wasnt even used right and averaged about 15 a night then imagine how good he will be in the triangle offense that will feature him as an important peice. Lamar will be an allstar this year. I think everyone is too amped up on Kwame Brown. He is a good forseeable talent but he is still developing mentally and will need a little more work. Lamar is already there and just needs to be used right in the right offense. Remember Lamar also had to play PF in a conference dominated by real power forwards.
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Mihm is a very good player at home, a horrible player on the road. Does that mean he has no skills? No, it means his confidence is shaky, and that is something a good coach can fix. The other huge problem with Mihm is that he uses a 2 hand shove in the post when he is battling for a rebound. It's a bad habit, but it can be broken with good coaching. Do we have good coaching? Yes, We do. Watch for Mihm to surprise.
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject:

kwame will be a monster this season!
SoCalRebel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject:

Lamar Odom.

IMO we need Lamar to have a breakout season (at least 18 ppg) this year to make the playoffs.
Great One
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject:

I say Lamar gets to 20+ and takes advantage of the 3 spot and phil
unpossibl1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject:

If all 3 don't have "breakout seasons" then we are in big, big trouble.
SoCalRebel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject:

unpossibl1 wrote:
If all 3 don't have "breakout seasons" then we are in big, big trouble.

I dunno about all three having breakout seasons. I personally think Mihm's potentional is almost maxed out. But we definetely need Lamar and Kwame to step up.
Ko8e8ryant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Kwame will win the MIP award.
zass17
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Kwame will get two 30 20games this year
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject:

DG, it's a contract year, right?
KingKobeDubbz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject:

I gotta say Lamar . Even though Lamar had a decent season before the injury I feel he really didn't play to his full potential . With Phil Jackson as his coach and with the knowledge of giving Lamar a more promising role as a point forward it should be more interesting. I know Phil is defeninitly going to get the best of out Chris and Kwame also. They should all have a really good breakout year under Phil honeslty. I just think if you really want to talk about who is gonna stand out the most it's gotta be Lamar Odom. I am predicting an All- Star year for Lamar.
japanesebeef1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject:

I pick the dark horse . . . Chris Mihm. I think Kwame's going to have a big season, defensively, and open up some offensively, but he will take the attention off of Mihm. Mihm will get plenty of blocks off the weak side, and without all those fouls he collects taking the big guy all the time, he will blossom offensively.

I also think he's going to be very active on the offensive boards. I think he'll average close to a double double, 12-15 ppg, 8-10 rpg. I think having Kwame at PF and Lamar at SF is the best thing that's happened to Mihm in the offseason.
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject:

I think Lamar will have the breakout season...but Kwame needs it!!

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject:

easily Kwame...the starting role and the expected increase in PT will tremendously help him...not to mention the lower career numbers he has to surpass to earn him a breakout season this year.
lakermax
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject:

Is there an "All the above" cat? We need all three of these guys to step up their game.

Realistic avg's

Lamar 18 ppg 6 rpg 4 apg 2 spg
Kwame 15 ppg 9 rpg 1 bpg 1 spg
Mihm 10 ppg 8 rpg 2 bpg 1 spg

Kobe 29ppg 4rpg 4apg 1spg
Mckie 7ppg 2 rpg 4apg 1spg

That's 79 points from our starters. If we can get 10-15 from our bench and hold opponents down to below 90 ppg I think we'll have a chance at winning some games this year.

The question is how dedicated are these guys going to be to defense???
lakers_bling_dynasty
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I think he'll average close to a double double, 12-15 ppg, 8-10 rpg.
I don't think Mihm will average 12-15 ppg, but I do agree with your prediction of 8-10 rpg. As long as Chris can stay out of foul trouble, he'll be solid. I doubt Chris will have a breakout season per-se, but an improved season from last year? Yes, I can see that happening.

I think Kwame will have the breakout season this year, in regards to his stats. Last season Kwame avg. 7 ppg and close to 5 rpg. This year I expect him to average 15ppg and 10 rpg. So you basically have a 8ppg increase and a 5rpg increase.

Lamar will have a fantastic season if he's healthy all the way through. Could he have a break out year? Yes, he could, but not necessarily statistically. But his stats are pretty solid. Based on the role they want Lamar to serve, I can see his asp going up--from 3.7apg to 5 o 6aspg average. His 15 ppg avg would only slightly increase to 18 ppg IMO. His value to the team will be tremendous if he becomes more aggressive and understands the nuances of the triangle offense.

At the end of the season, it will be the little things that Lamar does that will make the difference to the team. (i.e. running the fast break, making the extra pass, etc...) However, statistically, Kwame will have the bigger improvement, therefore he'll be deemed to have the "breakout season"
dwonderful
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject:

lamar!!
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject:

As much as I'd like to believe Kwame will break out wearing the Purple and Gold, I have far higher expectations out of Lamar. Moving to his natural position (SF / 3) will free up his style of play a bit more. I've been a big LO fan ever since he was at Rhode Island and he has a great amount of "break-out" potential.

I wouldn't be surprised too much if Kwame breaks out from what he showed in Washington, however, I don't want to anticipate that and be even more disappointed later on knowing what we gave up for him (even though Caron was one of our numerous amount of small forwards, he was still a proven good quality player with a good attitude).

Mihm...well, at least he was better than I thought he would be. Don't see him improving anymore than what he showed last year and I don't see the consistency in his play rising.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: