Who is the best boxer of all time?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 82060
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
Quote:
Check the thread. I have repeatedly offered why Ali got knocked down. You disagree. Fine, but don't act like it hasn't been repeatedly answered.


Check your very 1st response. You didn't answer at all. But that's done with now.

Quote:
And I can fathom Mike knocking him down, but I think it's less likely than Wepner. Why? Because the fighters greater than Wepner seemed to have problems doing it. Why? Because Ali against a real opponent was vastly different than Ali vs. a Wepner. That has evidence behind it. Would you say Utah will beat LA this series because LA lost a game to Sacramento? Why not? Utah's certainly better than Sac, and has playoff experience and killer instinct. Perhaps it's because a relatively meaningless game against Sacramento has less of LA's attention than a playoff series against Utah. And I never acted as if Ali getting caught off guard was unfathomable. Quite the opposite, I explained exactly why.


Wow. Just...wow. You can't REALLY believe that Tyson would have a HARDER time than Wepner in knocking down Ali? Wow, bro. To say that it ONLY happened because Ali WASN'T fighting a good opponent really doesn't hold any weight. And you can't compare a team sport with an individual sport. THAT'S apples and oranges right there. But ok, we're done here. We'll just agree to disagree.


Fair enough
_________________
Tolerance is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others. A peace treaty is not a suicide pact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Junooooow24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Posts: 122
Location: Quezon City, Philippines

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject:

Manny Pacquiao hands down Haha biased
_________________
Go Lakers!! Bring home the championship!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 15238
Location: Southern California

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject:

With the Mike and Ali debate, if Mike didn't get Ali out early, Ali would boat race him to victory.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 15238
Location: Southern California

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Junooooow24 wrote:
Manny Pacquiao hands down Haha biased



Manny is definitely making a case ......... the Mexicutioner is dominating people
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2007
Posts: 16886

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
Quote:
Check the thread. I have repeatedly offered why Ali got knocked down. You disagree. Fine, but don't act like it hasn't been repeatedly answered.


Check your very 1st response. You didn't answer at all. But that's done with now.

Quote:
And I can fathom Mike knocking him down, but I think it's less likely than Wepner. Why? Because the fighters greater than Wepner seemed to have problems doing it. Why? Because Ali against a real opponent was vastly different than Ali vs. a Wepner. That has evidence behind it.


Wow. Just...wow. You can't REALLY believe that Tyson would have a HARDER time than Wepner in knocking down Ali? Wow, bro. To say that it ONLY happened because Ali WASN'T fighting a good opponent really doesn't hold any weight. And you can't compare a team sport with an individual sport. THAT'S apples and oranges right there. But ok, we're done here. We'll just agree to disagree.


Fair enough


I don't think your theory is that ludicrous, 24, considering that 3 of Ali's 4 knockdowns came from nobodies. Frazier being the only big name and he had to damn near kill Ali in the process.

In addition, Ali was able to easily stay out of the range of Liston and Foreman (otoh, see George demolishing Frazier). Tyson similarly preyed upon guys who stood in front of him, even Buster Douglas tattooed Mike's face with a strong exhibition of footwork. I doubt Ali has too many problems with Tyson knowing that he's a 1-punch KO artist and that he is woefully behind in terms of late round experience.
_________________
GOAT MAGIC REEL
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 82060
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
Quote:
Check the thread. I have repeatedly offered why Ali got knocked down. You disagree. Fine, but don't act like it hasn't been repeatedly answered.


Check your very 1st response. You didn't answer at all. But that's done with now.

Quote:
And I can fathom Mike knocking him down, but I think it's less likely than Wepner. Why? Because the fighters greater than Wepner seemed to have problems doing it. Why? Because Ali against a real opponent was vastly different than Ali vs. a Wepner. That has evidence behind it.


Wow. Just...wow. You can't REALLY believe that Tyson would have a HARDER time than Wepner in knocking down Ali? Wow, bro. To say that it ONLY happened because Ali WASN'T fighting a good opponent really doesn't hold any weight. And you can't compare a team sport with an individual sport. THAT'S apples and oranges right there. But ok, we're done here. We'll just agree to disagree.


Fair enough


I don't think your theory is that ludicrous, 24, considering that 3 of Ali's 4 knockdowns came from nobodies. Frazier being the only big name and he had to damn near kill Ali in the process.

In addition, Ali was able to easily stay out of the range of Liston and Foreman (otoh, see George demolishing Frazier). Tyson similarly preyed upon guys who stood in front of him, even Buster Douglas tattooed Mike's face with a strong exhibition of footwork. I doubt Ali has too many problems with Tyson knowing that he's a 1-punch KO artist and that he is woefully behind in terms of late round experience.


I agree, but I was just being respectful of LB's request to call the argument off and agree to disagree.
_________________
Tolerance is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others. A peace treaty is not a suicide pact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 09 Jun 2006
Posts: 17429
Location: Mackadocious, Ca.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I don't think your theory is that ludicrous, 24, considering that 3 of Ali's 4 knockdowns came from nobodies.


That comment doesn't make any sense. If "Nobodies" knocked Ali down, then it's PERFECTLY FEASIBLE TO BELIEVE that a "SOMEBODY" like Tyson could do it.
_________________
Quote:
Smooth, but I move like an army / Bulletproof down in case brothas try to bomb me / Puttin' brothas to rest like Elliot Ness / Cuz I don't like stress
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
TheBattleOfLosAngeles
Sixth Man
Sixth Man


Joined: 31 May 2009
Posts: 90
Location: Sitting in an English Garden Waiting for the Sun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject:

Marciano. Undefeated don't lie.
_________________
Make the World a better place, Punch a Boston fan in the Face
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 15238
Location: Southern California

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject:

TheBattleOfLosAngeles wrote:
Marciano. Undefeated don't lie.


Died too soon ...... but definitely in the top 10 Heavies of all time
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2010 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB