Kobe speaks! about Artest and Ariza
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KOBEGASOL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Kobe speaks! about Artest and Ariza

We had a chance to catch up with Kobe Bryant today as he did a media session at the start of his annual basketball camp at LMU. Unlike some superstar athletes, Kobe actually teaches at his own camp and genuinely seems to enjoy it. ``I wouldn't do it if I couldn't be here myself,'' he said.

Of course catching up with him at his camp also provided us to get his thoughts on some of the recent player personnel moves the Lakers have made. You know, that Ron Artest thing...

Asked whether the Artest signing makes the Lakers a better team, Bryant said:

``I think it makes us a different team. It's tough to say whether we'll be a better team or not. We haven't won a championship with that unit yet. Trevor brought his style to us, which was very effective obviously. And Ron will bring his style to us. We'll just be a different team. Every year we adapt and we adjust. I'm sad to see Trevor go, because everybody knows that he's like my brother. He still is. ''

Kobe then confirmed the now infamous shower scene story, and noted that, ``This is something we've both been trying to make happen for a while.''

``I've known him for a long long time,'' Kobe said. ``It's one of those things, and he'll tell you this story too... After we lost to the Celtics, he came in the locker room, and I was in there, just by myself. And he just came in the locker room and said, `This is not going to happen to you again. I'm going to come there and I'm going to help you out. He wound up being in Houston, then the next year took us to Game 7. But he's here now.''

That said, the way it went down has been hotly debated in recent days. This columnist loved the move, thinking the Lakers showed a lot of guts, and will be rewarded with another round of champagne glory next June.

Others felt like the Lakers walked away from Trevor Ariza a bit too quickly.

Bryant said he was fine with how the business end played out, but noted he didn't have any official input on the situation.

``I don't think it was something where we picked Ron Artest over Trevor,'' Bryant said. ``I think with Trevor, we made an offer, and his representative felt like he could look elsewhere a little bit. And during that time, the Lakers talked to Ron and Ron was ready to go.

``I think it's either/or. I think if they went with Trevor, or with Ron, either way we'd be fine this year.''

But what about that chemistry stuff?

``Where is that concern coming from?'' Bryant asked. ``Because he ran in the stands and kicked somebody's (butt)? You talk to anybody that played with him, he's a great teammate. He's never been a problem in the locker room. He had that one incident in Detroit, which was unfortunate. But outside of that, it's not a problem at all. ''
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject:

link plz
hollyweird
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Kobe speaks! about Artest and Ariza

KOBEGASOL wrote:
We had a chance to catch up with Kobe Bryant today as he did a media session at the start of his annual basketball camp at LMU. Unlike some superstar athletes, Kobe actually teaches at his own camp and genuinely seems to enjoy it. ``I wouldn't do it if I couldn't be here myself,'' he said.

Of course catching up with him at his camp also provided us to get his thoughts on some of the recent player personnel moves the Lakers have made. You know, that Ron Artest thing...

``I think it makes us a different team. It's tough to say whether we'll be a better team or not. We haven't won a championship with that unit yet. Trevor brought his style to us, which was very effective obviously. And Ron will bring his style to us. We'll just be a different team. Every year we adapt and we adjust. I'm sad to see Trevor go, because everybody knows that he's like my brother. He still is. ''

Kobe then confirmed the now infamous shower scene story, and noted that, ``This is something we've both been trying to make happen for a while.''

``I've known him for a long long time,'' Kobe said. ``It's one of those things, and he'll tell you this story too... After we lost to the Celtics, he came in the locker room, and I was in there, just by myself. And he just came in the locker room and said, `This is not going to happen to you again. I'm going to come there and I'm going to help you out. He wound up being in Houston, then the next year took us to Game 7. But he's here now.''

That said, the way it went down has been hotly debated in recent days. This columnist loved the move, thinking the Lakers showed a lot of guts, and will be rewarded with another round of champagne glory next June.

Bryant said he was fine with how the business end played out, but noted he didn't have any official input on the situation.

``I don't think it was something where we picked Ron Artest over Trevor,'' Bryant said. ``I think with Trevor, we made an offer, and his representative felt like he could look elsewhere a little bit. And during that time, the Lakers talked to Ron and Ron was ready to go.

``I think it's either/or. I think if they went with Trevor, or with Ron, either way we'd be fine this year.''

``Where is that concern coming from?'' Bryant asked. ``Because he ran in the stands and kicked somebody's (butt)? You talk to anybody that played with him, he's a great teammate. He's never been a problem in the locker room. He had that one incident in Detroit, which was unfortunate. But outside of that, it's not a problem at all. '
'

Exactly. People buy into media hype/BS so easily it is pitiful.
Spirit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Kobe speaks! about Artest and Ariza

KOBEGASOL wrote:

``Where is that concern coming from?'' Bryant asked. ``Because he ran in the stands and kicked somebody's (butt)? You talk to anybody that played with him, he's a great teammate. He's never been a problem in the locker room. He had that one incident in Detroit, which was unfortunate. But outside of that, it's not a problem at all. '
'

Aloha
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:
link plz

that was on the am 690
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Kobe wrote:
`I don't think it was something where we picked Ron Artest over Trevor,'' Bryant said. ``I think with Trevor, we made an offer, and his representative felt like he could look elsewhere a little bit. And during that time, the Lakers talked to Ron and Ron was ready to go.

I think it's either/or. I think if they went with Trevor, or with Ron, either way we'd be fine this year.

uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Aloha wrote:
uberzev wrote:
link plz

that was on the am 690

jordanplusone
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject:

Wow. Cool. I'm liking Ron Ron every minute now.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Quote:

``Where is that concern coming from?'' Bryant asked. ``Because he ran in the stands and kicked somebody's (butt)? You talk to anybody that played with him, he's a great teammate. He's never been a problem in the locker room. He had that one incident in Detroit, which was unfortunate. But outside of that, it's not a problem at all. ''

QFT.
KOBEGASOL
Star Player
Star Player

[quote="Aloha"]
uberzev wrote:
link plz

that was on the am 570/quote]

fixed
mandywwm
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject:

just coz of media,kobe understand it clearly
kismet
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject:

It's great to hear from Kobe. Thanks for sharing!
cbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Also interesting that the two biggest "problem" stars, Artest and Rasheed, never seemed to have problems with their teammates or coaches, at least not that I recall.
lak_repeat
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject:

too Bad Lakers didn't have him in 2004 and 2008, he would have helped kick some piston celtic butt.
lakers2626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject:

cbear wrote:
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Also interesting that the two biggest "problem" stars, Artest and Rasheed, never seemed to have problems with their teammates or coaches, at least not that I recall.

Sheed doesn't like the media and the business side of the NBA. As far as I know he's a great teammate guy.
DEGZ
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Kobe speaks! about Artest and Ariza

KOBEGASOL wrote:

lakers will miss ariza for sure even if we go unbeaten this season...

still, artest >>> ariza

Last edited by DEGZ on Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Kobe speaks! about Artest and Ariza

hollyweird wrote:
KOBEGASOL wrote:

'

It's not hype or BS. Artest has a long, documented history of odd behavior and problems with the law. He was convicted of domestic abuse; he had a dog taken away because he mistreated it; he showed up at a Pacers practice in a bathrobe, among other odd behavior that suggestes the need for medication (he has admitted in interviews that doctors have suggested he should be medicated for his mental condition). His teammates have generally spoken positively of him but it's patently unfalse that the brawl in Detroit is the only black mark in his career
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:
link plz
heheh1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Kobe speaks! about Artest and Ariza

activeverb wrote:
hollyweird wrote:
KOBEGASOL wrote:

'

It's not hype or BS. Artest has a long, documented history of odd behavior and problems with the law. He was convicted of domestic abuse; he had a dog taken away because he mistreated it; he showed up at a Pacers practice in a bathrobe, among other odd behavior that suggestes the need for medication (he has admitted in interviews that doctors have suggested he should be medicated for his mental condition). His teammates have generally spoken positively of him but it's patently unfalse that the brawl in Detroit is the only black mark in his career

We're talking about team chemistry which means how he deals with TEAMMATES.

Give me an example of how all this media hype about artest is true?
hollyweird
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Kobe speaks! about Artest and Ariza

activeverb wrote:
hollyweird wrote:
KOBEGASOL wrote:

'

Outside of the dog thing, I don't give a shi1t. The domestic abuse was mutual. Does that make it 'right,'? No. But I don't really care.
merrillbalan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject:

its not too late to go back trev

http://s589.photobucket.com/albums/ss336/merrillbalan/?action=view&current=IMGP0614.flv
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
mojaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:
link plz

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2009/07/state-of-kobe.html
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject:

I think Kobe was just being nice about it. He knows that Artest is an upgrade over Trevor.

And Artest... Is crazy. But he's a great teammate.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
chilake24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject:

[quote="KOBEGASOL"]
Aloha wrote:
uberzev wrote:
link plz

that was on the am 570/quote]

fixed

no, i can't find any podcast of kobe speak on am570, are you sure it is am570?
http://www.am570radio.com/pages/pc/
chilake24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject:

links

Last edited by chilake24 on Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: