Ron Artest Press Conference Recap w/ Quotables & Thoughts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jhun88
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Ron Artest Press Conference Recap w/ Quotables & Thoughts

If anybody missed the press conference or is waiting for the video to be posted up, here's a detailed, opinion recap and summary of what went down, along with some hilarious quotables from Ron.:

Ron Artest Press Conference Recap: No Homo

by Jonathan Hernandez

I didn't mean to walk in the shower with him. Yeah, I walked in the shower. I'm not a homosexual, but Kobe - he had no clothes on.

On a day when many reporters were asking him how much he's truly changed from his Indiana days of punching people in the stands, Ron Artest calmly countered and jabbed back with many new punch-lines for everyone to mull over. To say the least, it was very entertaining. It may not have been as extravagant as most of Shaq's previous press conferences, but the constant stream of random one-liners that flowed from the jovial and upbeat Artest sure made it seem like the newest Laker had taken some comedic lessons from the Big...Whatever.

Make no mistake about it, coming from a guy that Lakers fans had once always hated and been wary about for so long because of his bad boy image, past history, and annoying bouts of showboating - it's hard to decipher Ron Artest during such celebratory, formal speaking engagements such as this when he's seemingly always on his best behavior, ready to put his best face forward. Here are some paraphrased quotable highlights (I divided them up between the good and thed..strange):

What You Want to Hear As a Laker Fan (The Good Ron Artest):

* On winning his teammates and coaching staff over: "I gotta win myself over. Make sure I work on myself this summer - come back in tip top condition. He's right. It's not a given that just because you add me to a team."
* "Last couple years, Kobe's really been devoted to defense. And I respect him even more now. He's not gambling as much. He's more focused on stand-still defense."
* "They're a tough team. I thought they were tougher than Boston. I'm a Laker fan. When they were struggling against Boston, I felt bad."
* "My priorities are straight now - play ball first. And then everything comes second."
* On having doubters and the pressure that comes with being a Laker - "That's great pressure to have. I want people to come down on me. That's why I like having Kobe, he likes the pressure. I like to prove the doubters wrong.
* "They love their team. The fans are so confident. The fans are tellin' me, "are you ready to get your ring?" They know they're going to win. That's a great feeling."

Ron Ron's Comedy Time (The Strange-er-Funny Ron Artest):

* "Is TMZ here? Oh, they're not. That's good."
* "Hopefully my clothes make it to LA, if they don't - they can just stay in Houston."
* On hoodalizing the Lakers: "I hoodalized ESPN. I didn't say I hoodalized the Lakers. Noo, I was just playing. It was a joke. I was just off the top of the head at ESPN. You gotta have fun. It's summer time. That comment has nothing to do with the season."
* "Once again I'm vastly underpaid. But it's ok. At the end of the day, if you can't live with $35 million...you can't live."
* How he's changed since the brawl: "I don't lay on tables no more."
* "Following Kobe Bryant - that's a no brainer and I didn't even finish school, you know?"

The No-Homo Ron Artest:

* "I didn't mean to walk in the shower with him. Yeah, I walked in the shower. I'm not a homosexual, but Kobe - he had no clothes on."

You've got to hand it to the guy - he was real, down to earth, and at many points, quite hilarious. He was poised and very sincere at times, too real to the point of hilarity at other times, and just plain Ron, the attention grabbing media whore for most of the times. Sometimes his rough play, ridiculous antics on and off court, and his thug-like image can overshadow just how striking and down-to-earth this guy truly is. I'm not sure if he gets some PR help when it comes to his speaking engagements, but...he sure said all the right things to help alleviate the doubts of many skeptic Laker fans out there...and then he said some other things that let us know that we'd all be in for one fun, bi-polar Laker ride this season. And Kobe? he had no clothes on.

Welcome to L.A. Ron-Ron,
Jonathan Hernandez (Chick's Fridge)

Original Link:
http://ohmeohmyjellosjigglin.blogspot.com/2009/07/ron-artest-press-conference-re-cap.html

The only Lakers Podcast in town using analytics to run a perfect pick-and-roll straight into your ear. And heart. Whatever that means. @LakersLegacyPod

https://soundcloud.com/the-lakers-legacy-podcast
Also on iTunes!

Last edited by Jhun88 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:44 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ayaz3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject:

lakers11521
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject:

I always like this guy...now I just love him.

HAHAHAHA

"I didn't mean to walk in the shower with him. Yeah, I walked in the shower. I'm not a homosexual, but Kobe - he had no clothes on."

#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
n9c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject:

LMAO
LA1969
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject:

Welcome to LA, RonRon!
Bballguru5000
Star Player
Star Player

Location: Born and Raised in Los Angeles, now living in Manhattan, NY.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject:

"Once again I'm vastly underpaid. But it's ok. At the end of the day, if you can't live with $35 million...you can't live."

I love that!!!! I'm changing my signature!
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject:

I'm disappointed that there are 4 of these: and no one on LG used the opportunity to do the thing where everyone just quotes one post to make a superquote
JustSomeJoe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Anyone other than me find that hilarious?
lakers11521
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject:

So Artest talked to the Black Mamba in the shower
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject:

JustSomeJoe wrote:

The whole thing was pretty funny.
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject:

JustSomeJoe wrote:

That is an epic quote.

---George Carlin
ayaz3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
JustSomeJoe wrote:

That is an epic quote.

Sure was.

"I want 50 shots a game."

L33T kObE8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Great post! Awesome blog too.
Jhun88
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject:

L33T kObE8 wrote:
Great post! Awesome blog too.

haha thanks! victor..is that you? Arcadia represent!

The only Lakers Podcast in town using analytics to run a perfect pick-and-roll straight into your ear. And heart. Whatever that means. @LakersLegacyPod

Also on iTunes!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
eLem3nt
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject:

i'm so excited for this coming season haha
Bench
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Watching it right now and still .

http://www.cbs2.com/video/?id=108122@kcbs.dayport.com
kobe_rain
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Welcome to LA.Looking forward to your display next season:lol:
Jhun88
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Is there a full/uncut version of the press conference video out on youtube yet?

Btw, sorry if my quotes recap is not 100% word for word accurate, but it's more a paraphrasing. He did say all those things though.

Also on iTunes!
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Ron Artest Press Conference Recap w/ Quotables & Thoughts

Jhun88 wrote:

You've got to hand it to the guy - he was real, down to earth, and at many points, quite hilarious. He was poised and very sincere at times, too real to the point of hilarity at other times, and just plain Ron, the attention grabbing media whore for most of the times. Sometimes his rough play, ridiculous antics on and off court, and his thug-like image can overshadow just how striking and down-to-earth this guy truly is. I'm not sure if he gets some PR help when it comes to his speaking engagements, but...he sure said all the right things to help alleviate the doubts of many skeptic Laker fans out there...and then he said some other things that let us know that we'd all be in for one fun, bi-polar Laker ride this season. And Kobe? he had no clothes on.

His admission to the media giving him too much credit for DPOY, but rather giving credit to the shot blocker, showed real character.
Jhun88
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ron Artest Press Conference Recap w/ Quotables & Thoughts

JUST-MING wrote:
Jhun88 wrote:

His admission to the media giving him too much credit for DPOY, but rather giving credit to the shot blocker, showed real character.

Yeah! The guy, when he's calm and composed, is a very thoughtful, humble, and smart person.

Also on iTunes!
feriors
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject:

LOL. When they were showing Artest his jersey..."that aint Bynum's jersey right? I saw a 7" Pure comedy
ArtestingPatience
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject:

great post! man, Artest is real entertaining.

Can someone please make Artest a
"No Homo" Laker shirt??
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject:

LINK

Quote:
Meanwhile, it looked more evident that owner Jerry Buss and his son, Jim, were the ones to fuel the signing of Artest, with Coach Phil Jackson and minority owner Magic Johnson also part of the recruiting process.

Buss has gambled often in his 30-year ownership of the team, and this is no different. Buss dined with Artest a few hours before they agreed to contract terms of five years and $34 million last Thursday. Artest can opt out of the final year of his new contract, which was originally believed to be only three years in length.

Buss wouldn't have green-lighted the decision to acquire Artest if he didn't like the sometimes enigmatic player. Jackson, for his part, seemed intrigued by Artest's possibilities on defense. Artest was an NBA second-team All-Defensive selection last season and has finished among the league's top three in steals in five of the last eight seasons.

"Ron is a talented defender," Jackson said in an e-mail to The Times. "He has a nose for the ball. He will have to relearn the triangle offense, but has been on a team that used that offense in the early part of his career. We have a genuine admiration for his talent, especially his desire to compete.

"Sometimes that desire has taken an unusual course of action on the court, but Ron has quieted most critiques the past season with his steady play in Houston."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: