Name The Best Soul Food Spots
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject:

Caron1 wrote:
Aunt Kizzys Back Porch in Marina Del Ray. Great food and popular with a lot of Lakers.

Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles

Harold and Belles

The Gumbo Pot

Uncle Andre's in Studio City best BBQ in LA in my opinion.

Roscoe's, you have to pick your Roscoes though. Pasadena has bad chicken and good waffles.

I heard the one in L.A. on manchester(i dont even know if its still there). has bad chicken also.

The other one off of Sunset is finally big enough to seat more then 10 people. i couldnt stand that. but i heard their getting lazy on the waffles.

so, i recommend Pico and La brea. the old faithful. i just went a few weeks ago. waffles and chicken are still on point.

Word on the street Harold and Belles isn't nearly as good as it use to be, and the service is questionable at best. I've heard this on two different occasions. my brother just went last week. a friend of mine went a couple of years ago. the last time i've been there was as a little kid. it was great back then though.

Quote:
Uncle Andre's in Studio City best BBQ in LA in my opinion

^^^ its the best BBQ that the Valley has to offer, not L.A. per se. now i will admit, L.A.'s bbq in general has taken a nose dive. every old faithful joint is under new management darn near.

I will still say Two spots are better and by far, faster then Uncle Andre's.
Woody's on Slauson off of Chrensaw. and i can't remember the name of the spot on Chrenshaw off of Jefferson.

I like uncle andres. but seriously, let me warn you. PLEASE call ahead of time. i'm saying like 30mins ahead. if you walk in and are getting more then a hot link. You might as well bring you a paper or something to read. cause everyone else is making call in orders which is delaying your walk in order.

funny we were just talking about soul food spots out here in the valley. thats one reason i use to miss living in the hood. the food. people would have you going to a so called soul food spot out on this side of the hill. and it would be borderline terrible. for instance, whats the name of that soul food place on Venture going towards woodlandhills? that spot isn't good. its high priced and extremely small sides.

I knew a place that use to be on Victory and reseda. a found out a guy i knew from back in the day was a part owner. I had everyone from my job going there and my old church. just off of my word of mouth. and you know what these folks kept doing? Running out of Chicken. now look, i'm a brotha so i can say this. black folks like chicken. how on earth could you run out of that particular product and call yourself a legit establishment? well they are no more. i've been to a couple of other spots and same story. small sides and the food isnt' that great.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
Caron1 wrote:
Aunt Kizzys Back Porch in Marina Del Ray. Great food and popular with a lot of Lakers.

Harold and Belles

The Gumbo Pot

Roscoe's, you have to pick your Roscoes though. Pasadena has bad chicken and good waffles.

I heard the one in L.A. on manchester(i dont even know if its still there). has bad chicken also.

The other one off of Sunset is finally big enough to seat more then 10 people. i couldnt stand that. but i heard their getting lazy on the waffles.

so, i recommend Pico and La brea. the old faithful. i just went a few weeks ago. waffles and chicken are still on point.

Word on the street Harold and Belles isn't nearly as good as it use to be, and the service is questionable at best. I've heard this on two different occasions. my brother just went last week. a friend of mine went a couple of years ago. the last time i've been there was as a little kid. it was great back then though.

Quote:

^^^ its the best BBQ that the Valley has to offer, not L.A. per se. now i will admit, L.A.'s bbq in general has taken a nose dive. every old faithful joint is under new management darn near.

Woody's on Slauson off of Chrensaw. and i can't remember the name of the spot on Chrenshaw off of Jefferson.

I like uncle andres. but seriously, let me warn you. PLEASE call ahead of time. i'm saying like 30mins ahead. if you walk in and are getting more then a hot link. You might as well bring you a paper or something to read. cause everyone else is making call in orders which is delaying your walk in order.

funny we were just talking about soul food spots out here in the valley. thats one reason i use to miss living in the hood. the food. people would have you going to a so called soul food spot out on this side of the hill. and it would be borderline terrible. for instance, whats the name of that soul food place on Venture going towards woodlandhills? that spot isn't good. its high priced and extremely small sides.

I knew a place that use to be on Victory and reseda. a found out a guy i knew from back in the day was a part owner. I had everyone from my job going there and my old church. just off of my word of mouth. and you know what these folks kept doing? Running out of Chicken. now look, i'm a brotha so i can say this. black folks like chicken. how on earth could you run out of that particular product and call yourself a legit establishment? well they are no more. i've been to a couple of other spots and same story. small sides and the food isnt' that great.

Yeah, the Pico and LaBrea one is the best 'Scoes and the Hollywood one is next.

That spot off Crenshaw and Jefferson (I think it's off 30th & Shaw though) used to be a Taco Bell back in the day. I don't know it's name either. There's Phillip's BBQ down the street though, on Crenshaw and Adams, they're a bit overpriced now. Then across the street from them is a soul food spot that's "a la carte" style, I've never been but people say it's pretty good and cheap.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject:

I don't like the hollywood 'scoes, because its too small and its kinda far from me. The pico/la brea one is dope. Is "big mama" still there? hah

"get your elbows off the table!"
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject:

Pajamahadeen wrote:
To any who have been offended, I apologize, that was not my intent.

If I were you, I wouldn't even worry about it. Some people are too quick to feel persecuted.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject:

chef wrote:
I don't like the hollywood 'scoes, because its too small and its kinda far from me. The pico/la brea one is dope. Is "big mama" still there? hah

"get your elbows off the table!"

Yep!
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
Pajamahadeen wrote:
To any who have been offended, I apologize, that was not my intent.

If I were you, I wouldn't even worry about it. Some people are too quick to feel persecuted.

Spoken like a true champion for human rights.

Now, don't try and ruin the thread if you're not gonna talk soul food. Move on.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject:

Lb's girl makes the best soul food, but I guess technically that means LB's place is the best soul food spot.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Lb's girl makes the best soul food, but I guess technically that means LB's place is the best soul food spot.

Where's a brick to throw when I need one?
FredG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject:

Caron1 wrote:

Harold and Belles

Does Harold and Belles still get their cheesecakes from Harriet's? They have the best sour cream style cheesecakes in LA. The sweet potato is #1 on my list.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
24 wrote:

Don't want to bust out your own window now, do you? Anyway, who's fault is it for coming home early? Do you mind if i take a biscuit with me bro?
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
24 wrote:

Don't want to bust out your own window now, do you? Anyway, who's fault is it for coming home early? Do you mind if i take a biscuit with me bro?

I've only had Soul Food a handful of times, tried chicken fried steak for the first time a few weeks ago. I enjoyed it. not sure I could eat it too often though, it was really rich.

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject:

prisma8slg wrote:
24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
24 wrote:

I've only had Soul Food a handful of times, tried chicken fried steak for the first time a few weeks ago. I enjoyed it. not sure I could eat it too often though, it was really rich.

If you think Chicken Fried Steak is soul food, you must try:

Smothered porkchops
Sweet potato casserole
Collard greens in bacon grease
Catfish

I'm going to stop, before I get any hungrier.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
24 wrote:

Yeah, here - take this SPECIAL biscuit I made JUST for you!
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject:

prisma8slg wrote:
24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
24 wrote:

Yeah, soul food ain't an everyday thang, that's for sure.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
If you think Chicken Fried Steak is soul food, you must try:

Smothered porkchops
Sweet potato casserole
Collard greens in bacon grease
Catfish

I'm going to stop, before I get any hungrier.

I get in trouble every year during the holidays because of collard greens. My southern in-laws can't figure out why I don't eat them.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
postandpivot wrote:
Caron1 wrote:

Harold and Belles

The Gumbo Pot

Quote:

Yeah, the Pico and LaBrea one is the best 'Scoes and the Hollywood one is next.

That spot off Crenshaw and Jefferson (I think it's off 30th & Shaw though) used to be a Taco Bell back in the day. I don't know it's name either. There's Phillip's BBQ down the street though, on Crenshaw and Adams, they're a bit overpriced now. Then across the street from them is a soul food spot that's "a la carte" style, I've never been but people say it's pretty good and cheap.

is that phillips? maybe i'm talking about phillips then. its been there forever. like i said, the old faithfuls just aren't getting it done anymore. that "under new management" aint cutting it for me. I'm like new management doesn't have to mean new cook...does it? I guess so. they should have a sign on the front door. "Under new cook,new recipe" atleast then you know what you're getting into.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject:

^^^ Yeah, Phillip's used to be Leo's back in the day.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject:

You guys are lucky. I have to take a business trip down south in order to get any good soul food.

I am going to be in San Diego in late Feb. Any good spots down there?? Help a pasty brotha out!!
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject:

KingKobe20Dub wrote:
FLo's Diner
Chino Airport

Hahaha, Kiss My Grits!!!
good one...
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject:

UPDATE: Anybody got any to add?

For me, Soulfood Kitchen on Manchester and LaBrea in Inglewood. TONS of food for your buck. Been there about 4 times already and haven't been disappointed yet. Expect to be eating on your dinner for about 2-3 days, trust me....it's THAT much food.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: