What changes or improvements would you like to see on LakersGround?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: What changes or improvements would you like to see on LakersGround?

Going into the new season, just curious to hear from everyone what features or improvements you think would make LG even better.

For example, maybe an addition like more emoticons, or the ability to embed videos in a post.

(Yes, it's technically in the wrong forum, however, since things are pretty slow right now, I put this in the Lounge so our members can see the topic and share their suggestions. )
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject:

I'd like Uberzev to just get it over with and get the operation done.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject:

I'd like for my guy (the fmr K4P) to post more. He has a lot of good things to say.

Last edited by hoopschick29 on Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Mushua
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject:

Nothing actually, having great members is the main key.

And that we surelly have.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject:

More T&A!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject:

If you bring back the front-page "blog"; It would be nice if it displayed DancingBarry's post-game thoughts with PopcornMachine's game-flow and JD2K/revgen's highlight videos, all on the same page.

Wilt needs his own section like DancingBarry has, because his triangle diagrams are excellent. Dennis has his own section, its called the Topic HOF.

Update the links (on the top of the page) ESPN.com to CBS.sportsline.com

Roster: http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/roster/LAL
Statistics: http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/stats/LAL
Depth Chart: http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/depth-chart/LAL
Schedule: http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/schedule/printable/LAL

Censor the names "Hollinger", "Vescey", "Kamla", and "Ford". .
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject:

imbed images in posts.

Get rid of the current quote system (The quote pyramids are funny but can really screw up a page)

!...
Megatron24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject:

Lakersground app on the Iphone
phayze one
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject:

Move to vBulletin *ducks*
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject:

Some of the same things that have been mentioned before...

-need at least 100 posts to create a thread
-ability to post vids or pics

probably time for a little face life too
Futuristic
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject:

A feature that would sense irrational, non-sense, negative, biased post and automatically make it positive. Or something like what VF21 employs in kingsfans.com ---- make the post disappear without any explanation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject:

Be quicker to dump trolls from visiting teams and newbies that are just nuisances.
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
I'd like Uberzev to just get it over with and get the operation done.

I told him the same thing. He's too much of a wuss though (e.g. thinks Subway is out to get him).

hoopschick29 wrote:
I'd like for my guy (the fmr K4P) to post more. He has a lot of good things to say.

Wish I could. I'm sure you've been holding it down, though.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject:

Maybe a change of those buttons on the header? Do enough people click those things to warrant their place of honor? At least update them so they go to Larry Coon's website, the Contirbutor's blogs, the mythical 'Front Page' of LG, and Uberzev's NSFW collection of degenerates, imbiciles and teenage runaways.

And please grant me the permission to ban users based solely on their overreactions in game threads, because that gets really old. Oh, how about a score ticker for games, so when I am out and about I don't have to read the damn game thread in the first place.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject:

machine emoticon
cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject:

how about an RSS feed to let us know when there's a new stickied/multi-page topic? I've found myself to be far less addicted to sites w/ RSS feeds, so something to let me know when there's a significant topic posted would help me be more productive, instead of always obsessive-compulsively checking LG

it'd also be nice if there was a way to filter down the extremely long, yet relevant threads, into easy-to-read summaries. often times, mods will update the topic/1st post to let us know what page a key post is on, which works fine, but involves a bit of hunting for the particular post/update on that page. Would it be possible for the mods to denote certain posts as key posts, and have an option to only view key posts for a thread? Or perhaps members could note which posts contribute more to a topic with a +1/-1 voting system (like the comments on digg.com articles). Having a feature like this would make catching-up on topics much easier.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: What changes or improvements would you like to see on LakersGround?

Tony Almeida wrote:
Going into the new season, just curious to hear from everyone what features or improvements you think would make LG even better.

For example, maybe an addition like more emoticons, or the ability to embed videos in a post.

(Yes, it's technically in the wrong forum, however, since things are pretty slow right now, I put this in the Lounge so our members can see the topic and share their suggestions. )

The ability to embed video and post photos without having to link offsite wold be awesome.

Graphics in signatures would be great.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject:

Mushua wrote:
Nothing actually, having great members is the main key.

And that we surelly have.

Agreed on great members being the main key. We have a wonderful fan base here that provides a little bit of everything. For example, awesome mixmakers . (First mix I saw from you was "Only One", and was thoroughly impressed.)

And to go with great members, I think it's imperative that the site also continues to improve to provide the members an even better experience.
phayze one
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject:

Custom user titles for the stooges.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject:

I need the ability to ban people with impunity.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
I need the ability to ban people with impunity.

Why does Impunity have to take the fall as well?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject:

Let me go through some of these --

Blog page: We still have it (link), and I agree that I'd also like to see things like T&R, highlights, gameflow (essentially our main postgame coverage) be organized onto that page so it's easily accessible and better displayed. I think the Blog page was a bit underutilized last year, and so we should take a look at how to better use it this season.

Embedding images/videos in your post: This is an interesting suggestion, one where I can see both sides of the argument. On the one hand, it's definitely cool to add pics/vids to your post, would really "spice" the site up. On the other, if there are too many pics/vids being posted, the content gets lost in the shuffle, and LG has always prided itself in content. I'd like to hear more opinions on this one (ditto for graphics in sigs).

Site layout/face lift: I'm guessing this is easier said than done in terms of making a new theme/skin, but maybe it's time to update.

Quote system: Yeah, we're working on this one. It's definitely necessary to make this change.

LG iPhone app: Another thing we've looked into, and could be something we will implement.

vBulletin: My understanding of vBulletin vs. php is that vBulletin is costly (whereas php is free), and making the switch would take a lot of work. What are some of the benefits of vBulletin would provide vs. what we currently have?

Trolls from visiting teams and annoying new members: We're normally pretty quick with taking action against them once we figure out what their deal is. We want to make sure they are in fact trolls and not just new members that may need a little guidance in learning how to post.

Minimum post count (e.g. 100) to start a new thread: I think this is a good idea. One of the reasons we haven't implemented this is it's easier to spot new trolls once they sign up and start a new thread. The min. post count could also lead new members to post pad. However, now that we have the "report" function, I think both those concerns are minimized.

Convert irrational/negative/biased posts into positive: Then we wouldn't be LG anymore.

Updating the buttons in the header: I think putting in the links that go to Larry's FAQ, Blog page, etc. is a good idea. Not sure how many click the links up there, though.

Score ticker: Do you mean in the game thread or linked elsewhere on the site?

Machine emoticon: or or can be used to reference the Machine.

RSS feed / making it easier to find key posts in long threads: As noted, we try to update the threads to make the most relevant information available, but it's true that sometimes good posts get lost in long threads. One of the problems of having a very active community (good problem to have).

-----

Great suggestions so far, keep them coming! Also, if you believe some of these would take away from the site, I'd like to hear that side of things as well.
Marty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject:

Tony Almeida wrote:
Let me go through some of these --

<snipped>

Embedding images/videos in your post: This is an interesting suggestion, one where I can see both sides of the argument. On the one hand, it's definitely cool to add pics/vids to your post, would really "spice" the site up. On the other, if there are too many pics/vids being posted, the content gets lost in the shuffle, and LG has always prided itself in content. I'd like to hear more opinions on this one (ditto for graphics in sigs).

<snipped>

I agree. Content >>> Graphics.

Personally, I don't like too many graphics on a page. It may look "fancy" but at the end of the day, we still prefer meaty, reliable content.

About video embedding, maybe we can have an AJAX feature where a user has an option to "watch" it on the same page, a la reddit. If a user clicks on "WATCH" the video shows up below without having to reload the page or leaving the site.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject:

imbed images in post..... there is so much i want to say but a picture can say it all and saves so much time.....

also a private member section where we can pay a minimal fee and pretty much anything Goes
ecksor
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject:

How about a chat room instead of a game thread? Sometimes you just don't see some of the posts because of how many are posted right after a great/horrible play.

Who is my avatar? Kharunisia
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9
Jump to: