Forget the Burrito threads, lets talk about some steak
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject:

baconbish wrote:
. ive always wanted to eat at ruth's chris though, how much is it there?

It's not cheap. But like most of the top notch steakhouses part of the expense is the service.

Like at the Smith and Wollensky in New York or Craft Steak in Vegas . . . you get your own waiter . . . I mean your OWN waiter. He's your guy. You don't share him other tables. He waits unobtrusively to the side waiting to see if you may need anything and then asks politely and appropriately if you need anything when he thinks you might.

Though you don't get that at Ruth's Chris
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject:

Pajamahadeen wrote:
I like my steaks a certain shade of brown like most people in this thread do inevitably.

What was that word that you were using about burritos and tacos? Oh yeah...
FOOFY!
We already have a word for brown steak. It's called leather.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject:

My steak - Medium Rare Ribeye.

Best steak I had was in a hole in the wall in Texas.

Morton's (South Coast) and Houstons (Pasadena) were excellent. Flemmings is good. Lowrey's is propably the best. It really depends on the chef/luck between them.

When I was on a budget I loved the Peppercorn Ribeye at the Irvine D&B until about 3 years ago. Still good, but somethings missing.

Oh yah, there are no acceptable sauces for a good steak. Au Jou (not gonna look up the spelling) or horseradish are the only acceptable additions to a good roast cut like Prime Rib.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject:

It's funny. I was disappointed in Lawry's the times I ate there and have always felt is overrated and lives on reputation alone - and one it doesn't really live up to. But that may just be me.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ptm2020
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:54 am    Post subject:

speaking of hearing the cow moo when you eat it.

anyone chow down at Harris Ranch on the 5 halfway point to SF?

some great steak over there.

in the city though I'll stick with Pacific Dining Car
JTS1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject:

ptm2020 wrote:

harris ranch brings back good memories for me. it's a stop we'd often take, both going and coming back from trips to nocal. (the smell in the area is another story.)

for me the best steak is rib steak, bone-in. medium-rare, lean towards rare. just season simply w/good salt and lots of black pepper. compound butter is just icing on the cake, but by no means a deal breaker.

can't forget a good zinfindel to go w/it...awwwwww!!

just once, i'd love to dive into a good kobe steak, imported from japan...if some mortgage broker is online, we could start the paperwork...
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject:

JTS1 wrote:
ptm2020 wrote:

harris ranch brings back good memories for me. it's a stop we'd often take, both going and coming back from trips to nocal. (the smell in the area is another story.)

for me the best steak is rib steak, bone-in. medium-rare, lean towards rare. just season simply w/good salt and lots of black pepper. compound butter is just icing on the cake, but by no means a deal breaker.

just once, i'd love to dive into a good kobe steak, imported from japan...if some mortgage broker is online, we could start the paperwork...

Zinfandel? Try a nice Barolo, barbaresca, Amarone, Bordeaux, or at least a solid cab. Save the zin for pizza or burgers...
Teamof2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Some of my favs in SF:

Bobo's
Alfred's
Acme
House of Prime Rib
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
JTS1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
JTS1 wrote:
ptm2020 wrote:

Zinfandel? Try a nice Barolo, barbaresca, Amarone, Bordeaux, or at least a solid cab. Save the zin for pizza or burgers...

can't help it. my palate knows what it likes.

there are zins that were meant for grilled meats.

probably too fruit forward for you. the few people who i know that like wine want something w/more oak or tannins...the cab fans.

i do like cabs and bordeaux, but only w/food. i can eat w/zins or just drink while kicking back.

i'm 'learning' to steer away from zins, but i will always fall back on them.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject:

I'm not trying to chastise you, as I've learned right and wrong is highly subjective with food and wine pairings. There are few absolutes, but some things are more right than others.

There are so may zins out there that I can't be entirely specific (it is a very versatile wine) as to what you are drinking, but most if them, especially the good ones, tend to be either fruit forward and jammy, or acidic, tannic, and spicy. This is why they pair so well with spicy foods and BBQ.

But if you are going to buy and properly prepare a really great piece of steak, there are wines that are structurally more precise and harmonious with that. Doesn't mean your zin wont bring you pleasure, just that some others are superior to that specific task, for very empirically definable reasons.

Do me a favor. Next time, spring for a high quality amarone or barolo, and let me know your thoughts.

Again, just a suggestion for a different sensation than you are used to...
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject:

Now it's hard to find out a head of time from a restaurant, but when I buy steaks I prefer open range/mostly grass fed. They tend to have more tastier muscle mass due to the extra walking around. You'll pay more for it, but if you can find a good one with some good marbling then you can't beat it.

---George Carlin
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Do me a favor. Next time, spring for a high quality amarone or barolo, and let me know your thoughts.

Agreed -- barolo is one of my standards with steaks, although I do have to say I'm definitely not averse to a good zin, especially if the steak is grilled.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
JTS1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
I'm not trying to chastise you, as I've learned right and wrong is highly subjective with food and wine pairings. There are few absolutes, but some things are more right than others.

There are so may zins out there that I can't be entirely specific (it is a very versatile wine) as to what you are drinking, but most if them, especially the good ones, tend to be either fruit forward and jammy, or acidic, tannic, and spicy. This is why they pair so well with spicy foods and BBQ.

But if you are going to buy and properly prepare a really great piece of steak, there are wines that are structurally more precise and harmonious with that. Doesn't mean your zin wont bring you pleasure, just that some others are superior to that specific task, for very empirically definable reasons.

Again, just a suggestion for a different sensation than you are used to...

oh, w/food and drink...it's a completely subjective, personal preferences always rule. i don't take offense at all, even from you...

but seriously, i'm relatively new to wine, and i'm on a real limited budget. however, i'm very open to learn more about wine.

i will take your advice and try a barolo. i know of a place where they carry very good italian wines. occasionally they have some nice half bottles too.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject:

I hear you on the budgetary issues. Maybe if you give me a price range I could offer a suggestion or 2. BTW, the cheaper you go on Zinfandel, the less likely you are to make a good pairing with a great steak...
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
I hear you on the budgetary issues. Maybe if you give me a price range I could offer a suggestion or 2. BTW, the cheaper you go on Zinfandel, the less likely you are to make a good pairing with a great steak...

There are exceptions, of course, but for the most part I agree. BTW, here's one of my fav Zin producers:

http://www.renwood.com/renwood/index.jsp
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Renwood makes a good zinny, though I'm partial to Rosenblum.
JTS1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Renwood makes a good zinny, though I'm partial to Rosenblum.

my favorite is from ridge. i need to look at which vinyard. it was 2005 from that i had a couple of years ago. that vintage doesn't exist as far as i know.

i need to look at the bottles i have at home...they're from a couple of different labels.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject:

A 1997 Strawberry Hill Boone's Farm and a vintage 1993 St. Ides does the trick everytime...and I do mean "trick".
JTS1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
A 1997 Strawberry Hill Boone's Farm and a vintage 1993 St. Ides does the trick everytime...and I do mean "trick".

and usually done w/porcelain.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject:

JTS1 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

and usually done w/porcelain.

But of course.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject:

What's the word?

Thunderbird!
JTS1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
What's the word?

Thunderbird!

from zin to thunderbird?

that's a sin.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject:

JTS1 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
What's the word?

Thunderbird!

from zin to thunderbird?

that's a sin.

True. You should drink the t bird first. That way the Zinfandel will taste acceptable by comparison...
JTS1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
JTS1 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
What's the word?

Thunderbird!

from zin to thunderbird?

that's a sin.

True. You should drink the t bird first. That way the Zinfandel will taste acceptable by comparison...

you are a sly fellow...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: