Poll: Would you be willing to give up Kwame Brown and Chris Mihm for Artest?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you be willing to give up Kwame Brown and Chris Mihm for Artest?
Yes
17%
 17%  [ 24 ]
No
69%
 69%  [ 94 ]
Yes, provided they pick up a free agent center from the list
13%
 13%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 136

thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject:

KA_2 wrote:
thegreatest wrote:
Artest was serious when asking for time off. it wasn't a joke. even after the fight, it seemed all he cared about was promoting his group

Artest didn't get time off to produce his record label. Those are the facts.

because the team said no, but he still asked. it wasn't a joke. if you think it was a joke, go on a pacer board and ask them about it. artest was dead serious. he went to the front office with it on his own and asked.
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject:

i personally wouldn't mind getting artest.
giving up mihm and brown would be a toss up for me. i'm not 100% for it, but i'm not against it.
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject:

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
The Pacers weren't good enough? How do you know? He basically guaranteed that the wouldn't even have a chance to find out.
If he's on the court (and as good as you say he is), why wouldn't he make a substantial difference?

I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to. The Pacers went deep into the ECF after winning 60+ games in 2004. Artest didn't really implode then. He imploded one time when it hurt his team; early in last year's regular season. That's it. He has been a walking technical foul otherwise, but other than the Pistons incident he's no different than Rodman. And Phil handled Rodman pretty well after his debacle of a stint in San Antonio.

Quote:
But he can play defense, I'll give him that.

He can also score 18-20 ppg consistently, giving the Lakers a much needed reliable second option. And he spaces the floor because he has a jumper, unlike Odom.
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject:

thegreatest wrote:
KA_2 wrote:
thegreatest wrote:
Artest was serious when asking for time off. it wasn't a joke. even after the fight, it seemed all he cared about was promoting his group

because the team said no, but he still asked. it wasn't a joke. if you think it was a joke, go on a pacer board and ask them about it. artest was dead serious. he went to the front office with it on his own and asked.

You missed the point, and didn't answer any of the other questions.
Charles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject:

Shapecity wrote:
Charles wrote:
Great, let's pick up some defensive anchors off the waiver wire.

The Lakers are working with more than a 1 year window to address that need. Wright, Mohammed, Ely, Wilcox, Cato, Battie, Evans, Przybilla, and M. Jackson are some players who be free agents next summer.

Great, because using 2.5 Mil of the MLE or the LLE will allow us to grab any of these players, especially considering how much the league overpays for bigmen.

Quote:
Maybe they can use the expiring contracts of George or Slava to grab a servicable center
because Mitch has made such fantastic use of his expiring contracts, right? *cough* Vlade *cough*

I say by giving up both of our starting bigmen, we end up like the Nets with better perimeter defense and better offensive execution. Sounds good, but everyone sees how desperately the Nets need post offense and post defense. Bynum may adress this need in the future, but if Artest does indeed bolt as a free agent to go East, great deal, right?

Indiana should get no more than one 7 footer from us.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject:

yeah I remember ESPN (I think) interviewing him in his car/suv that day. He was even plugging his album and mentioned who was singing on it. Everyone is worried about him jumping into the stands again, but this is the thing that worries me. He is a beast on the court, but what does that say about his desire at the time? He was ready and I don't want to misquote him, but he was ready to walk from the game I think. I wish someone had the transcript but I really think he said something about that. Anyway, the thing I'd hate to see is him threatening to retire if he can't play out East. I really hope and think he has matured since then, and with his album not being recieved well, maybe that is a done deal. Lets hope so at least.
samsl
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject:

hey Mike,

OT a bit...you mentioned going after a defensive tri-oriented PG in the offseason...how about Pargo for cheap? Chicago and Boston are so overloaded at the point right now. I saw Kobe giving him a good talk after the Chicago game...probably went something like,
"you see those 9 dimes i dropped on you guys??
if you come aboard next season, you could help me make it an even 10 with that nice national-collegiate-3pt-shooting-finalist jumper of yours.
lock it up!"

How much do you guys think that Pargo WISHES he was here now, after seeing Smush blossom with plenty of PT.

If Sun Yue is the Chinese Magic Johnson...I'm the Chinese Brad Pitt...
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject:

KA_2 wrote:
thegreatest wrote:
KA_2 wrote:
thegreatest wrote:

You missed the point, and didn't answer any of the other questions.

the facts is, artest did ask for time off.

sorry what question?
AmoebaD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject:

|468|

Hmmn...

If all this were to happen and they could pick up Ely in free agency that would be pretty nice also.

Also, if Smush were to have to go in a trade then that bumps Sasha up there, giving him more playing time and they can retain Green too. Wafer would bump up to second or third string guard and he'll develop a little bit faster with that extra smidge of playing time he gets if all of this happens.

Also, starting line-ups would be able to be flexible (as Phil seems to be wont to do, in his efforts to match up with whoever they're going to be playing on a particular night) in terms of who the "extra" guy is that they stick in there. For example:

Foster (or equal, might as well be Pollard :roll: ), Bynum
Cook, Turiaf
Kobe (Wing), Profit
Odom (Big guard), Walton
Artest (small guard), Sasha (assuming no Smush)

In such a line-up Cook would match up with opposition's power forward ala KG or Timmay. It would kind of suck not to have Kwame in such a line-up but, maybe the trio of Kobe, Artest and Odom can shut down the opposition's offense enough that they wouldn't easily be able to get the ball consistently to their elite big man in a timely manner, forcing him to throw up a percentage buster to beat the clock and shutting down the avenues for him to pass out to his teammates (ala Mr. 32 points, Wally Serbiak ( :roll: Kobe...)) for wide-open shots (also Hudson (Gorramit...!)).

Against a smaller line-up Phil would probably substitute Sasha in there instead of Cook to match up better:

Foster (or equal), Cook, Bynum
Lamar (one wing), Turiaf, Walton
Kobe (other wing), Profit
Artest (big guard), Walton, Green
Sasha (at small guard, assuming Smush is gone), Green, Wafer (yay! playing time! )

Actually, if Sasha picks up some early fouls then they'd probably put Walton in there first and switch Kobe to guard the small guard's counterpart, yet still having Kobe attack from the wing on the offensive end.

Lots of possibilities with Artest. I mean, if one's worried about losing Kwame and Mihms' size then one can consider that they will probably be able to pick up an equivalently sized player in return (perhaps Pollard, if not Foster) and they'll switch the athleticism and shot blocking ability of Kwame and Mihms for the athleticism, strength and skill of Artest. It's like you're refocusing where you're team's strengths are. And also, as much as I like Kwame and Mihms, they aren't the greatest of players at their respective positions. Sometimes gaining some skill over athleticism is worth it, despite it coming with the baggage of his (artest's) numerous eccentricities.

Also, something to consider: if they're able to pick up artest then if either one of Kobe or Lamar goes down with some sort of injury... knock on wood... :roll: then Artest would be able to step in and replace them in the line up. It makes them deeper at their "strength" (meaning where their best players are at) positions in other words.

You Can't Always Get What You Want
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject:

the_natural05 wrote:
(bleep) NO

X2
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
the_natural05 wrote:
(bleep) NO

X2
X10^10000000000000000000

Offer no more than Slava, Green, and the Miami pick, take it or leave it. When RonRon meltsdown again, pining away to play in MSG, we haven't lost all that much!

Last edited by re4ee on Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
maddprophet
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject:

this is scary. i see both perspectives, but i just don't want to mess with our current chemistry. we're coming together. i'd prefer if ron would just stay in indy.

but artest and kobe is intruiging. too much for me to process. tuff choices.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Ah. Oh well.

I'd rather build the foundation of franchise players first, role players second.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
echobats
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject:

NO
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Charles wrote:
Leon wrote:
I'd rather give up Bynum, George and the Miami Pick

Bynum will be largely ineffective for the next few years. By trading him, we get to keep our primary bigmen, thereby making us instant title contenders.
agree.

Bynum is on my NO touch list now. For one he has potential and when the rest of the league has caught on too this guy , you know he's got something about him, he's no secret anymore .
straylight
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Given the salary going out we'd have to get something back besides artest. If Foster, then yes. That is essentially Kwame for Artest. Which I have said I would probably do, despite Kwame's recently improved play. Kwame and Artest are both risks. Artest is cheaper and at least he's good on the court.

If we don't get Foster (I'm not super high on Harrison) then no. BTW I voted yes, Indy would almost HAVE to give Foster back in that situation. Though Foster screws up 2007 cap space.

Odom or artest could be traded with Foster for a stud PF. Or for ending K's if they want to preserve cap space in 2007 or 2008.

If you are worried that we have no center and Odom is at PF? we're not winning anything in the next two years anyway, so play with it.

-stray

`That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,' said the Cat.
NoHarmNoFoul
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Artest is not worth the risk of giving up two young bigs who are still developing with pretty much the first legit chances of their careers. It's way too premature to give up on them.

Who will you aim your irrational anger at then?"
-PopcornMachine
straylight
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject:

The risk goes both ways.

It is very possible that Mihm and Kwame are now at the top of their games. This is what they ar. This is their best. It isn't likely, I especially think Kwame will get a bit a better. However, It is not clear how much.

so, risky to keep them, risky to get artest. which has a higher probability of success? I'm not sure, but right now I'm leaning towards artest. Keep in mind that you might be likely to get an 'almost mihm' back, e.g. croshere or foster

-stray

`That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,' said the Cat.
kups
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
Assuming Indy would throw in Foster or Harrison? Yes.

What he^ says. Even Harrison would be enough.
#2 Lonzo
#28 Derrick White, Jordan Bell, Deonte Burton
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject:

No way.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: