Sports Illustrated doesn't think Kobe is worthy of MVP
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do YOU think Kobe deserves the MVP award?
Heck yes!
69%
 69%  [ 60 ]
I don't know- it depends on any mid-season trades...
12%
 12%  [ 11 ]
No way!
17%
 17%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 86

Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
PhillyDoc wrote:
Kobe deserves significant mention (was idiocy by SI to leave him out) but do not dimiish the impact of Parker - he is not in Kobe's league certainly, but he is damm good player.

Parker has raised his game significantly and leads the NBA in points in the paint, raised his APG (6.4), PPG (19.4), and is near the top in FG (54.3%. He has had multiple 10+ assist games.

Parker, who is also working with Steve Kerr's and Grant Hill's former shooting coach on his jumper mechanics, is breaking down defenses at times in an unreal fashion and had another great game tonight vs. the Wolves. He does deserve to be an all star in my opinion - although it is a stretch to put yet in the MVP category.

That's true, I only pay attention to his play because I have him on a couple of fantasy teams. But so far this year, he is putting together his best season. But if you pick a MVP from the Spurs, tough to go with anyone other than Duncan.

I agree on Parker too, he's having a really good year.

However, if I owned the Spurs and the Lakers offered to trade Kobe for Parker, I would say yes so fast that my lips would burn!
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject:

-Iverson and Wade have not great team records to show.

-Clippers are fading ( there goes Brand...)

-Lebron, I like how he plays but without Hughes he is probably going to struggle to advance to the postseason : if Cleveland is a low playoff team, I can't see how Lebron can be MVP.

-Duncan and Parker : do you remember season 2002-2003 ? Many said Kobe couldn't win MVP because he had Snaq in his team; Parker has Duncan and Duncan has Parker...

Who's left ?

Billups ( great team record, but the question is : is he the best player on his team?) , Dirk, Nash, but IMHO Nash has the edge ( for now) because he is doing wonders without Amare.

If only Kobe had a little more help , he would be right near Nash for the Pacific crown and the MVP race.

BTW, I'm sure there are too many haters for Kobe to win the MVP; even if he deserved it ...
bmaczback
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
Sports Illustrated also thinks that The NBA on NBC is the worst theme song ever, go figure.

WTF?!! that is one of the greatest songs ever!!!
bmaczback
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject:

1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:
giving the MVP award to a player like a parker or a billups is a joke.

lets talk about players who carry their teams... franchise players who carry their teams to victory. not players who are all-stars when it comes to playing their role.

EXACTLY!!!!
CheetahMan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject:

bmaczback wrote:
1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:
giving the MVP award to a player like a parker or a billups is a joke.

lets talk about players who carry their teams... franchise players who carry their teams to victory. not players who are all-stars when it comes to playing their role.

EXACTLY!!!!

If it's not Kobe who gets it, then Billups is really the only man in question. Eventhough we think of Detroit as a great all-around team, Chauncey Billups is still their leader. He controls the whole show. Even more than Saunders. He also is the player who takes their clutch -time decisions, and he ain't bad at that. Also, if the Pistons continue the way they have played so far, Chauncey has a solid claim on that title if they look at team success.
PhillyDoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject:

Here is my personnal list of MVP candidates right now

1A.Bryant (if he gets the LAL to the 6th seed level and he increases his FG% to say 44%, he should definetly get it.)
1B. Billups (he has put Detroit to another level so far - oh well at least until tonight)
2A. Dirk - he is carrying the Mavs to a great record
2B Nash - Ditto
2C Brand -as he really upped his game, it is not only his new teammates he lost 20 pounds and improved his range.

That is about it, I would include James if and only if the Cavs continue to win without Hughes and in the 2nd half of the season at same rate *doubtful. I would say the same things if AI can get the Sixers going again, but they look to be going downhill.

I would also include Duncan later if the Spurs make their usual surge in the 2nd half and Garnett if the Wolves make a serious run.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject:

Tony Parker an MVP over Kobe?

zenball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject:

STiG909 wrote:
MVP - Most Valuable Player

Who in the NBA is more valuable to his team than KOBE? There is no single person in the NBA who makes a difference to his team as much as Kobe does. They better change the name of the award if they're not going to consider Kobe for it.

Great point.

Isn't this the same Sports Illustrated that had the only writer who dissented in 2000 on the vote for Shaq as MVP?? As I recall, the writer voted for Iverson that year, arguing that the 76ers would be a really bad team if AI did not play on it. The writer ran around the sports talk show network, giving interviews everywhere, explaining that Shaq could not be the MVP because the Lakers would still be a decent team without him. The 76ers, by contrast, would be nothing w/o AI. Now, the same magazine suggests Tony Parker is a better MVP candidate? Wouldn't the Spurs win their division if the guy was injured for the rest of the season?
Rigged4fun
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject:

there is no question in my mind Kobe is the Most Valuable Scorer, and the MVP of the Lakers, but not the league. As Stu reiterated last night in the Clipper game, Kobe takes the rest of the team out of the game. A league MVP not only contributes offensively and defensively, but also has that quality to bring the rest of his teammates to a higher level. Can't say that of Kobe.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject:

The season isn't over yet. SI didn't include Kobe's last two games. They may have to re-think it.
Mockerfab4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject:

The last 2 games is more proof on why Kobe is the Lakers MVP and the MVP of the league!
Money$hot!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject:

MVP Voting (with the Lakers missing the playoffs)

1) Nash (what he's doing w/out Amare is phenominal. Even less talent then the Lakers)
2) Lebron (clearly the best SF (non-tweener) in the game)
3) Billups (if the Pistons go 70+, 70% of it is Billups)

4) Kobe (the MVP cannot be on a team that misses the playoffs)
5) Brand (won't get the votes above the top 3 on this list)

6) A.I. (see Kobe)
7) Duncan (Still what makes SA tick. The French Fry is just living on the table TD sets)
8.) Dirk (defensive softie will win nothing no matter how well he fills up the stat sheet)
9) Wade (is underacheiving this season (believe it or not)).

Now if the Lakers make the playoffs. Your MVP (even 8th seed) is none other than Kobe Bean Bryant.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: