Devin Ebanks?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldandpurpleandgold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Freakout wrote:
oldandpurpleandgold wrote:
Freakout wrote:
Tris wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPsoSOrcrro

Devin Ebanks Wizards Workout and Interview - June 2, 2010

His shooting is just horrible and he looks lethargic in an important work out. How good can his defense be if he doesn't even hustle in a workout?

Do you really think a title team gives a (bleep) about this pick? Straight to D-League and then probably cut. Title teams don't sign projects...

Dear poster. That is exactly what title teams do.

OK, the draft night euphoria..I get it...I'll play, we just signed the Ginobilli of the draft....2nd parade tomorrow at my house.

or you can continue to act like a drama queen.

Says the guy jerking off about a late 2nd round pick?
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject:

He definitely isn't afraid to take it to the rack
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Freakout wrote:
Freakout wrote:
Tris wrote:

His shooting is just horrible and he looks lethargic in an important work out. How good can his defense be if he doesn't even hustle in a workout?

Do you really think a title team gives a (bleep) about this pick? Straight to D-League and then probably cut. Title teams don't sign projects...

OK, the draft night euphoria..I get it...I'll play, we just signed the Ginobilli of the draft....2nd parade tomorrow at my house.

Mitch was surprised he was available and says he has a chance to battle for backup 3.
Killakobe81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Freakout wrote:
Killakobe81 wrote:
calistrtballr wrote:
can still get warren or torrance.

what the heck?!

didnt want warren but Caracter over Torrance?

Torrance has a heart issue.

Warren has an awful attitude that turned teams off.

Wasnt aware of heart issue but as a 2nd pick in the 2nd round why not gamble?
oldandpurpleandgold
Star Player
Star Player

Freakout wrote:
Freakout wrote:
Freakout wrote:
Tris wrote:

Mitch was surprised he was available and says he has a chance to battle for backup 3.

That's unusual for an NBA GM to tout their own picks...(bleep) let's hope for the best.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

"Kupchak said that in some ways Ebanks could be insurance for Walton, depending on how Luke's back is for next season."
nokio
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
LakersReporter

GM Mitch Kupchak said LA was surprised Ebanks was there at 43. Team envisions him as having a chance to back up Artest at SF.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Kupchak said he spoke to Artest about the kid from his area. Thinks the Queens connection and vets in general help a young player.

http://twitter.com/LakersReporter
Jacko
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject:

at this point sound like he offense just bad as Ron Ron, but defense not nearly as good as Ron, so I'm guessing the chance of him making the team could be slim.

probably gonna take him couple yrs like Trevor did to get a jump shot...

Last edited by Jacko on Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject:

BobbyJ wrote:
Quote:
Kupchak said he spoke to Artest about the kid from his area. Thinks the Queens connection and vets in general help a young player.

http://twitter.com/LakersReporter

Mitch trusts Artest's judgment on talents. That's funny.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Looks to me like he has a nice stroke, just needs to extend his range. He was also clearly plagued by being on a slow paced team. Watching the highlights, it appears to me he could be one of those players whose game is better suited for the NBA than the College game.

He's not as athletic as Ariza hops-wise, but he does remind me of Ariza in a lot of ways.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
D-Dogg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Steal at that point in the draft....good defender, long reach and genuinely talented rebounder who understands how to get to the ball.

Awkward release on the J kind of like Ariza has...but he's here for DEFENSE and for crashing the boards. He's also a good passer. Seems to have a solid work ethic, which is imperative on a Kobe led team, and if Kobe takes him under his wing (likes the way the kid works) you can bet Kobe will help him with his jumpshot...remember Trevor credited Kobe for giving him "the bible" aka Kobe's shooting knowledge that helped him improve greatly.

Nowhere near as athletic as Ariza, but the length and defensive ability is similar. So are the bricklaying abilities, but we can teach bricklayers to be artists...harder to teach people to have the internal desire to play D.

I like this pick. He makes the team, IMO.
monster_montego
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Kevin Eubanks and the Tonight Show band
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Bballguru5000
Star Player
Star Player

Location: Born and Raised in Los Angeles, now living in Manhattan, NY.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Freakout wrote:
Freakout wrote:
Freakout wrote:
Tris wrote:

That's unusual for an NBA GM to tout their own picks...(bleep) let's hope for the best.

Consider who he has to "battle" for backup at the three: Luke Walton. And since Luke can't stay healthy, the options become really slim. So he has a better chance to make this team than you probably give it.
heheh1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Rodman28 wrote:
encina1 wrote:
Rodman28 wrote:
encina1 wrote:
Rodman28 wrote:
I'm just glad they didn't take Harrangody.

Celtics took him. LOOK OUT!

He's a god around here (I live 15 minutes away from Notre Dame), but after watching him play a million times, I'm actually glad the Celtics took him....he's slow and can't really shoot.

The Cs sure do like dopey white guys.

Yup.

Larry Bird anyone?

I Kid... nah Buck Foston.
Fleur-de-Lis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject:

Outstanding pick. Steal of the second round.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject:

These are the types of picks we werent making during three peat days. GREAT pick can sit on bench and develop and once our core gets older hell be ready to step in and contribute
Jacko
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject:

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/devin-ebanks

damn he shot 11% from college 3 in his sophomore yr, he better get a new jump shot or he is gonna have tough time making the NBA.
Retired Number
Retired Number

Article on the Devin Ebanks selection, including quotes from Ebanks and Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak: http://bit.ly/90UsDs
Fleur-de-Lis
Star Player
Star Player

Jacko wrote:
http://www.nbadraft.net/players/devin-ebanks

damn he shot 11% from college 3 in his sophomore yr, he better get a new jump shot or he is gonna have tough time making the NBA.

Ariza was even worse. Look how that turned out.
Fleur-de-Lis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
With the 43rd pick in the 2010 NBA Draft, the Lakers selected Devin Ebanks, a 6-9, 215-pound sophomore out of West Virgina.

“I’m so happy right now, you don’t understand,” said Ebanks to L.A. media members over the phone. “The world champions … I get to play with the best player in the world, Kobe Bryant … I don’t really have too many words to say, I’m just happy.”

Ebanks was named to the All-Big East Third Team as a sophomore after making the Big East All-Rookie and All-Tournament teams as a freshman.

He developed a reputation as a defensive stopper on the wing, and played some of his best basketball in the NCAA Tournament while helping West Virginia to the Final Four. He posted a 12-point, seven-rebound effort against Kentucky in the Elite Eight, a team that had five players selected in the first round.

“We did project (Ebanks) higher in the draft, we thought he’d be drafted much higher,” said Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak. “We’re pleased. He’s an athletic small forward, a good defensive player (who) has potential to grow … really good upside.”

Kupchak explained that the Lakers wanted to get someone to back up Ron Artest as they’re unsure how Luke Walton’s back will be heading into the 2010-11 campaign, though neither Ebanks nor No. 58 overall pick Derrick Caracter is guaranteed to make L.A.’s roster.

They’ll get their first chance to show what they can do in the Las Vegas Summer League, and if they play respectively well, both will be invited to Lakers training camp in the fall.

Like Lakers forwards Lamar Odom and Ron Artest, Ebanks is originally from Queens, N.Y.; he attended the St. Thomas More School in Oakdale, Conn.

“Lamar Odom, my uncle grew up with him,” said Ebanks. “He’s from my neighborhood, Ron Artest (too). I live two minutes from Ron Artest and 10 minutes from Lamar. I see those guys all the time. Being able to play with them is a great opportunity.”

Ebanks, who was named Big East Player of the Week after totaling 22 points, 17 rebounds and seven assists at Seton Hall, explained that he’s ready to work.

“I’m willing to learn,” he said. “They just won the NBA championship, so I have a whole bunch of stuff to learn about the NBA and what better team than the Lakers?”

He was asked about what he might offer to the team from a defensive standpoint.

“Toughness, my length,” Ebanks responded. “I don’t have a problem guarding the (other team’s) best player. I take defense very seriously and I take it personally.”

Kupchak added that Ebanks has a “lively bounce to his step,” and is “very active and versatile” on the perimeter. A younger guy at just 20, the Lakers think Ebanks has a chance to grow, which is also the player’s hope.

“Just getting better,” he said of his expectations. “I’m playing for the best team in the world. I want to go in there and try to learn from the veterans, and hopefully my career can take off from there.”

kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: My Thoughts On Devin Ebanks After Watching Him For Two Years.

I attend WVU so I figured I would give my thoughts on Ebanks for everyone since I've seen every college game he has played. Ebanks was a lottery pick 6 or 7 months ago before his stock dropped because he didn't develop offensively as well as scouts thought.

First I'll start off with the Ariza comparisons. They're spot on. I've been using Ariza to describe Ebanks for quite some time now. Both of their measurements are extremely similar. My opinion is he's a poor man's Lamar Odom in Trevor Ariza's body. His game is pretty much the same as Ariza's with some point forward skills. He's a great rebounder and a good passer. He needs to work on his dribbling though. He did play PG at times for WVU even in the closing minutes. He's good in transition like Ariza and can't hit a 3 point shot to save his life. Hopefully Craig Hodges can fix that. He shoots well inside of the arc and does have a decent mid range jumper. He has potential to be able to develop his mid range jumper to the point where he can consistently knock it down.

Now to his defense. I don't think you could find a single player with a defensive resume like Ebanks. He can defend PGs all the way to skinny PFs and has shut down tons of stars at the college game. He always defended the other team's best player and he takes pride in his defense. He shut down Steph Curry when Ebanks was a freshman. He's locked down Terrico White, Scottie Reynolds, Wes Johnson, Evan Turner (He completely shut down Evan Turner in the 2nd half), and Quincy Pondexter. John Wall needed 18 shots to score 19 points and shot 39% against Devin. Also like I said he is a really good rebounder. He led WVU in rebounding in his freshman and sophomore years.

He is an unselfish team player. There were rumors though that he and Bob Huggins didn't get along and they got into arguments during games.

The things Ebanks needs to work on the most is shooting, dribbling, and just getting stronger. He isn't going to be beat someone off the dribble but I could definitely see him in a couple years bringing the ball up the court and initiating the offense like Lamar does.
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Fleur-de-Lis wrote:
Quote:
With the 43rd pick in the 2010 NBA Draft, the Lakers selected Devin Ebanks, a 6-9, 215-pound sophomore out of West Virgina.

“I’m so happy right now, you don’t understand,” said Ebanks to L.A. media members over the phone. “The world champions … I get to play with the best player in the world, Kobe Bryant … I don’t really have too many words to say, I’m just happy.”

Ebanks was named to the All-Big East Third Team as a sophomore after making the Big East All-Rookie and All-Tournament teams as a freshman.

He developed a reputation as a defensive stopper on the wing, and played some of his best basketball in the NCAA Tournament while helping West Virginia to the Final Four. He posted a 12-point, seven-rebound effort against Kentucky in the Elite Eight, a team that had five players selected in the first round.

“We did project (Ebanks) higher in the draft, we thought he’d be drafted much higher,” said Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak. “We’re pleased. He’s an athletic small forward, a good defensive player (who) has potential to grow … really good upside.”

Kupchak explained that the Lakers wanted to get someone to back up Ron Artest as they’re unsure how Luke Walton’s back will be heading into the 2010-11 campaign, though neither Ebanks nor No. 58 overall pick Derrick Caracter is guaranteed to make L.A.’s roster.

They’ll get their first chance to show what they can do in the Las Vegas Summer League, and if they play respectively well, both will be invited to Lakers training camp in the fall.

Like Lakers forwards Lamar Odom and Ron Artest, Ebanks is originally from Queens, N.Y.; he attended the St. Thomas More School in Oakdale, Conn.

“Lamar Odom, my uncle grew up with him,” said Ebanks. “He’s from my neighborhood, Ron Artest (too). I live two minutes from Ron Artest and 10 minutes from Lamar. I see those guys all the time. Being able to play with them is a great opportunity.”

Ebanks, who was named Big East Player of the Week after totaling 22 points, 17 rebounds and seven assists at Seton Hall, explained that he’s ready to work.

“I’m willing to learn,” he said. “They just won the NBA championship, so I have a whole bunch of stuff to learn about the NBA and what better team than the Lakers?”

He was asked about what he might offer to the team from a defensive standpoint.

“Toughness, my length,” Ebanks responded. “I don’t have a problem guarding the (other team’s) best player. I take defense very seriously and I take it personally.”

Kupchak added that Ebanks has a “lively bounce to his step,” and is “very active and versatile” on the perimeter. A younger guy at just 20, the Lakers think Ebanks has a chance to grow, which is also the player’s hope.

“Just getting better,” he said of his expectations. “I’m playing for the best team in the world. I want to go in there and try to learn from the veterans, and hopefully my career can take off from there.”

Gotta love the D intensity. Great draft wit 2 low picks getting 2 very underrated but high reward players
thenextone
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject:

http://lakersblog.latimes.com/files/devin-ebanks.mp3

Post draft phone call with DE

I'm excited, ARIZA round 2 haha
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Ebanks sounds more polished in terms of interview skills than lottery pick DeMarcus Cousins, "I'm just a kid mang, just wanna have fun."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 5 of 12
Jump to: