Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
No More Radiohead Albums?

"None of us want to get into that creative hoo-ha of a long-play record again," Yorke says in the magazine's July/August issue. "It's just become such a drag. It worked with In Rainbows because we had a real fixed idea about where we were going. But we've all said that we can't possibly dive into that again. It'll kill us."

Thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
Quote:

"None of us want to get into that creative hoo-ha of a long-play record again," Yorke says in the magazine's July/August issue. "It's just become such a drag. It worked with In Rainbows because we had a real fixed idea about where we were going. But we've all said that we can't possibly dive into that again. It'll kill us."

Thoughts?

The band has been on the brink of break-up many times but thankfully has stayed together. This doesn't surprise me that they're taking measures to ensure they don't drive themselves and each other crazy.

The death of "the album" has been on the horizon for some time. The introduction of the $0.99 iTunes single probably being the kill shot.

We've gotten 7 albums out of them that I will listen to for the rest of my life. If they want to limit it to singles and EPs I can't complain too much. They recently released a single dedicated to Britain's last remaining veteran of WWI who recently died at the age of 111.

Harry Patch

Just a single. If they do this from time to time that could be a nice surprise. I don't think we've seen the last Radiohead album though. I think they just need a break.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
TACH wrote:
Quote:

Thoughts?

The band has been on the brink of break-up many times but thankfully has stayed together. This doesn't surprise me that they're taking measures to ensure they don't drive themselves and each other crazy.

The death of "the album" has been on the horizon for some time. The introduction of the $0.99 iTunes single probably being the kill shot.

We've gotten 7 albums out of them that I will listen to for the rest of my life. If they want to limit it to singles and EPs I can't complain too much. They recently released a single dedicated to Britain's last remaining veteran of WWI who recently died at the age of 111.

Harry Patch

Just a single. If they do this from time to time that could be a nice surprise. I don't think we've seen the last Radiohead album though. I think they just need a break.

Completely agree... a couple of months back I made it a point to put entire albums on my iPhone/iTouch. Album continuity is a lost art these days, probably one of the reasons I like Mos Def's latest album so much... it had continuity; like Yorke said It worked with In Rainbows because we had a real fixed idea about where we were going

That's missing from a lot of albums these days, that journey an album took you on... today a lot of albums feel to cut and paste... lack soul...

Last edited by TACH on Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject:

^I am still in love with the concept of albums. I don't download singles, only albums. Lets enjoy it while it lasts!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
^I am still in love with the concept of albums. I don't download singles, only albums. Lets enjoy it while it lasts!

Agreed
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject:

I'd be fine with EPs. 5 or 6 songs, every couple years. That way, we'd get high quality songs.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject:

I wonder when this phenomenon will spread to the rest of the art and entertainment world. Just imagine:

Novelists selling a single page at a time, with none of the pages actually related to the others.

Painters selling two strokes of the brush. (apologies to those "artists" already doing this under the guise of minimalism)

One inning baseball games.

Being able to buy a hunk of rock that a famous sculptor looked at for a little while, and then made 3 chisel cuts.
Chewrockan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Skate wrote:
I listened to 15 step last night non-stop! I drove my friends crazy . That song is just so fitting...

15 steps then a sheer drop

I heart Thom Yorke

You haven't heard that song until you've heard it live.

Exactly.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject:

And just like that...a new Radiohead song leaks today:

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Rumor has it Radiohead is releasing an EP on Monday. Stay tuned.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Listening to the new leaked Radiohead song right now.

Is pretty good.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
One inning baseball games.

That might actually make it better
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Read this over at NYTimes.com:

Quote:
But people in the music industry tend to listen to Thom Yorke, lead singer in the British alternative rock group Radiohead, for Radiohead has cultivated a reputation as one of the most future-proof bands around.

The quintet, who met while attending private school in Oxfordshire, bucked the music industry establishment two years ago when they left their record company, EMI, and released their latest album, “In Rainbows,” direct to fans, on the Internet. In a nod to the new economics of a business ravaged by digital piracy, they employed a novel pricing formula: pay whatever you want.

So, when Mr. Yorke announced a change of course for the band, saying it planned to stop making full-length records and turn its attention to singles, it sounded like an epitaph for the album, the broken backbone of the record industry’s longtime business model.

“None of us wants to go into that creative hoo-ha of a long-play record again,” Mr. Yorke told the Believer, a literary magazine based in San Francisco. “Not straight off. I mean, it’s just become a real drag. It worked with ‘In Rainbows’ because we had a real fixed idea about where we were going. But we’ve all said that we can’t possibly dive into that again. It’ll kill us.”

Radiohead’s shift to singles reflects a change in music fans’ preferences. Instead of buying whole albums, they now stream or download just the songs they want. That, along with unauthorized copying, has decimated industry revenues.

According to Nielsen SoundScan, U.S. sales of albums, in physical and digital form, fell 14 percent last year, continuing a multiyear decline. While consumers bought more than a billion individual digital tracks in the United States, which accounts for a majority of online sales worldwide, they bought only 65 million digital albums in 2008.

Efforts are under way to try to make albums less of a drag. Apple and the major record companies are reportedly working on projects to include liner notes, lyrics, artwork, music videos and other extras with digital downloads.

They could start by examining Radiohead’s experiment with “In Rainbows.” The band’s publisher, Warner Chappell, reported that more than three million copies of the album were distributed in the first year, in digital and physical formats. Some people paid nothing, but the album still made more money than either of the band’s previous two records, Warner Chappell said. And the marketing buzz from the “pay what you want” model helped drive the CD to the top of the charts.

Why give up on albums, then?

Some Radiohead followers were convinced that Mr. Yorke’s comments signaled that the band intended to release an EP, or extended play, album, rather than downsizing to singles.

Their case seemed to be bolstered by cryptic comments included with the recent online leak of a new Radiohead song, “These Are My Twisted Words.” Bloggers, constructing a “Da Vinci Code”-style trail of links from these comments, concluded that the EP was due last week. Alas, for Radiohead fans, the day of the expected release, Aug. 17, passed with no news of a new record. Some bloggers suspected pranksters; others said it was all a multilayered plot by Radiohead, demonstrating the band’s mastery of viral marketing because it kept fans chattering.

“The band is fast becoming as synonymous with technological mischief as they are with music, and for that, we can only salute them,” wrote Contagious magazine, an online publication that focuses on digital advertising.

The faster the music business figures out what Radiohead is up to, the better. After all, if Mr. Yorke and Co. keep having to expend their creative hoo-ha showing the industry the way forward, will they have any left for their music?

NYTimes Article
ofwgkta
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject:

Somehow I missed this thread.

Kid A
OK Computer
In Rainbows
The Bends
Hail To The Thief
Amnesiac
Pablo Honey

Favorite Tracks: Everything In It's Right Place, Idioteque, True Love Waits, I Will, Weird Fishes/Arpeggi, Exit Music, No Surprises, High and Dry

Greatest band I've seen live, simply amazing.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
Quote:

Thoughts?

Didn't last long!
Quote:
RADIOHEAD TO RECORD NEW ALBUM THIS WINTER
Posted on October 7th, 2009.

There’s been a lot of speculation on Radiohead’s next album. Would it ever be recorded? Or would be just get digital tracks, EP’s or whatever made the press. Ed O’Brien confirmed that a new Radiohead album (yes, album) is in the making.

It was the interview in The Believer that kick-started a lot of rumours on Radiohead’s future. Thom Yorke told the magazine: “None of us want to go into that creative hoo-ha of a long-play record again.(…) But we’ve all said that we can’t possibly dive into that again. It’ll kill us.” The news hit the press worldwide.

Radiohead have spent this Summer in the studio, releasing tracks online like ‘Harry Patch (In Memory Of)’ and ‘These Are My Twisted Words’. This sort of seemed like they were serious about not releasing albums in the future. But guitarist Ed O’Brien has confirmed that the band is in fact interested in recording more albums and the follow-up to ‘In Rainbows’ is actually in the making.

Ed O’Brien told NME that with sessions planned this winter the band would “definitely” be releasing a full album physically next year.
“We were misquoted,” claimed O’Brien of Yorke’s comments, loudly adding, “WE WILL BE MAKING AN ALBUM!” Although he said the band hadn’t decided how it would be released, he said the album would come out on vinyl and CD whether it first arrived as a download or not.

“We love the artwork; that’s really important, the physicality,” he explanied. “And we all like vinyl. That’s not going to go away. I still like CDs as well. I got the Speech Debelle CD the other day – I nearly downloaded it from iTunes but I thought, ‘No. I want the physical thing.’”

O’Brien wouldn’t be drawn on specific tracks, but suggested that recent free download ‘There Are My Twisted Words’ was not a marker for the album.

On releasing ‘These Are My Twisted Words’ online he said: “It’s a kind of one-off. It could have been a darker side of ‘In Rainbows’ – it’s got that autumnal vibe, we’re leaving the summer and going into the darkness.”

He added that with Radiohead set to reconvene in their Oxfordshire studio this winter, the season might similarly affect the new songs. “Typical Radiohead,” he laughed. “We’re going into the studio in winter. It’s always miserable! Are we at the whim of the seasons? We are! When you’re in a studio in the countryside, the music you make is definitely affected by what season it is.”

TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject:

^Did they just pull a Favre?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Hey, TACH, you ever listen to those albums I sent you?
Teamof2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject:

1. OK Computer
2. The Bends
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
Hey, TACH, you ever listen to those albums I sent you?

Yea... I actually recognized some of the songs, but didn't know it was Radiohead. Not a big fan, but I do have some of their tracks on a couple of playlist (Just, I Might Be Wrong, and All I Need to name a few off the top of my head).
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject:

Radiohead Live at The Henry Fonda Theatre for Haitian Relief

1. Faust Arp
2. Fake Plastic Trees
3. Arpeggi
4. National Anthem
5. Nude
6. Karma Police
7. Kid A
8. Morning Bell
9. How To Disappear Completely
10. Wolf at the Door
11. The Bends
12. Reckoner
13. Lucky
14. Bodysnatchers
15. Dollars & Cents
16. Airbag
17. Exit Music (For A Film)

First encore:
18. Everything In Its Right Place
19. You & Whose Army?
20. Pyramid Song
21. All I Need

Second encore:
22. Lotus Flower (new song)
23. Paranoid Android
24. Street Spirit

http://www.the-big-empty.net/mp3s/RadioheadHaitiBenefitAtTheHenryFondaTheatre(1.24.2010).mp3 (you will need to copy and paste the entire link into your browser)
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject:

^I wish I had money to go to that show. At least I'll see Thom Yorke at Coachella.
gunner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:

1. Faust Arp
2. Fake Plastic Trees
3. Arpeggi
4. National Anthem
5. Nude
6. Karma Police
7. Kid A
8. Morning Bell
10. Wolf at the Door
11. The Bends
12. Reckoner
13. Lucky
14. Bodysnatchers
15. Dollars & Cents
16. Airbag

First encore:
19. You & Whose Army?
20. Pyramid Song
21. All I Need

Second encore:
23. Paranoid Android
24. Street Spirit

http://www.the-big-empty.net/mp3s/RadioheadHaitiBenefitAtTheHenryFondaTheatre(1.24.2010).mp3 (you will need to copy and paste the entire link into your browser)

cool, thanks for that, is there a way to save that file? this is my first time visiting this forum and i'm happy to see fellow radiohead fans on here.

also good news as far as new albums go: http://stereogum.com/archives/radiohead_wrap_up_new_album_112991.html

Edit: nevermind, figured out how to save the file
melo061
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:

1. Faust Arp
2. Fake Plastic Trees
3. Arpeggi
4. National Anthem
5. Nude
6. Karma Police
7. Kid A
8. Morning Bell
10. Wolf at the Door
11. The Bends
12. Reckoner
13. Lucky
14. Bodysnatchers
15. Dollars & Cents
16. Airbag

First encore:
19. You & Whose Army?
20. Pyramid Song
21. All I Need

Second encore:
23. Paranoid Android
24. Street Spirit

If only these guys decided to travel down here. Man.
minorbravo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject:

minorbravo wrote:
Easy to rank them for me

1. OK Computer
2. Kid A
3. In Rainbows
4. The Bends
5. Hail to the Thief
6. Amnesiac
7. Pablo Honey

Not that anyone cares but I'm changing my favorite albums list. Amnesiac has become my favorite over the past year.

1. Ok Computer
2. Amnesiac
3. The Bends
4. Kid A
5. Thom Yorke's The Eraser (I consider this a Radiohead album)
6. Hail to the Thief
7.In Rainbows
8. Pablo Honey
Amsterdam
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject:

1. OK Computer
2. The Bends
3. Kid A
4. Hail to the Thief
5. Amnesiac
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: