Report: LeBron To Pick Miami Heat (Pg. 14)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
If true - I actually would give him props.

Dude checked his ego at the door, may have to take a backseat and went to join Wade's team to win ring (s).

Lebron would deserve props.

So I'll believe when it becomes official - not a moment sooner. I don't think a guy who does all the other things James has all of a sudden realizes hey winning matters - lets put the ego aside.

I don't think it would have anything at all to do with putting ego aside. He'd still think and behave like the Alpha star in that trio. What it would be is shrewd. He can make bucks and put up ungodly stats in Dantoni's system, but even he has to know they would be some more pieces away from winning, and the honeymoon in NYC won't be very long.

He knows he ultimately needs a ring. So in Miami he can split the difference. Rely on two other big stars, still be "the man", and spin it that he's unselfish and all about winning.

Ultimately, I don't think James cares about titles in and of themselves. He cares about cash and image and ego. The ring is just something he might feel he needs to get the other stuff.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Dude checked his ego at the door, may have to take a backseat and went to join Wade's team to win ring (s).

So I'll believe when it becomes official - not a moment sooner. I don't think a guy who does all the other things James has all of a sudden realizes hey winning matters - lets put the ego aside.

I don't think it would have anything at all to do with putting ego aside. He'd still think and behave like the Alpha star in that trio. What it would be is shrewd. He can make bucks and put up ungodly stats in Dantoni's system, but even he has to know they would be some more pieces away from winning, and the honeymoon in NYC won't be very long.

He knows he ultimately needs a ring. So in Miami he can split the difference. Rely on two other big stars, still be "the man", and spin it that he's unselfish and all about winning.

Ultimately, I don't think James cares about titles in and of themselves. He cares about cash and image and ego. The ring is just something he might feel he needs to get the other stuff.

I agree with this. LeBron tried to pull that alpha male crap when he was on Team USA when he made the statement beginning with, "If I can lead a team that has Kobe on it..." No matter where he goes he'll assert himself as the top dog and expect everyone else to fall in line. He cares about the status and the brand.
Tris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Other teams sign or trade, Miami Heats steals.

They are doing it again.
jwbrown77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:
24 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

I agree with this. LeBron tried to pull that alpha male crap when he was on Team USA when he made the statement beginning with, "If I can lead a team that has Kobe on it..." No matter where he goes he'll assert himself as the top dog and expect everyone else to fall in line. He cares about the status and the brand.

He actually thinks he's alpha over Kobe?
wHosNeX
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:21 am    Post subject:

jwbrown77 wrote:
ReaListik wrote:
24 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

He actually thinks he's alpha over Kobe?

wait when did he say this?
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject:

This would be actually awesome for the Lakers. That team would be the favorite right there and what better challenge can the Lakers have for the quest to threepeat than to beat a Pat Riley lead team with that mega-superstar team.

This is Phil's last stand and it's going to be great.
Cup-of-noodles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:54 am    Post subject:

Would be classic NBA number two
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject:

If LeBron chose to announce his choice of Miami in a television extravaganza after leaking the news that Bosh and Wade were signing there, it would not help relations with his new teammates.
elcmidget54
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject:

I am of the opinion that this drama queen is building hype for his show. I think his people are getting rumors of New York and now Miami out there to make it a huge shocker that he's staying in Cleveland. I may be wrong, but that just seems to be the way this thing is going.

However, if he does end up going to the Heat- here is my question. When this experiment fails miserably, which of their big 3 do they trade? Using the whole salary cap on 3 guys might not be too smart. I think it would be the funniest thing ever if they had to trade Lebron for pieces to go around Wade and Bosh.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

LeBron picking Miami is cowardice. Wade is a killer, and he isn't taking a backseat to anyone (especially not in HIS town). LeBron would be going to Miami to be Wade's #2, take all the pressure off his shoulders and ride Flash's coattails to a ring (which I don't even think he'd get, at least not next season).

If he had balls, or was a real killer himself, he'd go to NY where he has a #2 waiting for him and a city willing to spend. Picking Miami only confirms LeBron is a #2 masquerading as a #1. A guy who will always be known for having to go ask Wade for help because he couldn't do it himself.
goreaxe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject:

If it is the Heat, I expect Lebron to throw in a phrase tonight along the lines of "I'm going to Miami to LEAD them to a title" or something to that effect. If they ask a followup about who the leader is, he might say the right thing and declare it Wade's team, but I doubt that lasts for long. We saw how he declared himself the 'leader' of the Redeem Team.

We can look forward to a Jeter/A-Rod type drama filled relationship with Wade/Lebron. Hard to imagine the Miami fans and local media ever picking Lebron as their favorite over Wade. That won't sit well with the "self proclaimed King".

Plus I wonder will the media storyline focus on the "DREAM TEAM" in Miami or how hated Lebron will be in Cleveland for destroying the fans there on national tv. Obviously the ESPN propaganda/infomercial will be very positive to Lebron tonight.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject:

It's assumed LeBron would take a back seat in Miami. Remember the Olympics? Who was doing all the talking, James. Kobe did the work LeBron did the media.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject:

he got everyone fooled..im sure yall know there is a show tonight on ESPN...and they'll need viewers/attention...its not Miami

NY or Cleveland..thats it
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject:

Quote:
LeBron picking Miami is cowardice.

Lets be honest 24/ocho. You guys and many others would hate on any decision he made.

Wouldn't matter what reasons he did anything, there would be a motive found or put out there to make Lebron look awful.

He's an egomanic and all about himself, business before basketball ... so he goes to Miami?

Sorry, not buying that. Miami means:

- Smaller market than NY and Chi.
- 30 M less in guaranteed money.
- Less attention
- No more MVP's, would have to win 70 a year to get them and I don't see that happening.
- Less stats.
- Less credit for wins.

I'm sorry ... but this is not a Lebron James move. At least not the James we've seen develop from a young kid into a spoiled brat so far. If he's going to Miami, it's to win. It's to have a legacy which wasn't just about great stats and MVP's. But rings too. Anytime a guy chooses that route, can't hate on it.

Now say he stays in Cle, goes to NY to be the man, that's actually Lebron being the Lebron that has exposed himself to be the last few years. All about money, business and himself first ... winning a distant second.

Don't care what way anyone slices it - going to Miami - great move with the primary goal to win. Props deserved. Wouldn't change the fact that he's an egomaniac and silly for doing all that he has done in the last 2 weeks - but when push came to shove - he would have for the first time in his career chosen the best basketball move.

But I don't believe for 1 second that's where is heading. I still think NY or re-signing with Cle. All this speculation is to stir up more interest for tonight at 9 PM. I believe that far more than him all of a sudden caring most about wining and going to Miami.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

If true then he would be doing anything but "checking his ego at the door". If he were teaming up with Wade and Bosh then why does he feel the need to already seperate himself from their signing announcement? Why did his camp leak the fact that Bosh and Wade were indeed signing with Miami?

No, if he signs in Miami then it already shows that while he may be joining this All-Star cast, he WILL BE the top billing and that starts with a prime time press conference announcing it, while Wade and Bosh were forced to YouTube it to the public.

This thing is doomed from the beginning.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject:

^
Well, he will always be an attention whore.. His advisers are complete tools in Maverick Carter -- they really have killed his PR. Not disputing that. And the word is they want him to stay in Cle for the 30 + M. They are against him going to Miami.

Signing with Miami doesn't mean he changes who he is, but it changes how he approaches the game of basketball. For the first time it is about winning first, the rest of the stuff later.

Staying in Cle or going to NY means at least 3 more MVP's. I think no matter how you look at it off the court, on the court he would be sacrificing MVP's for a shot at rings.

And anytime basketball players do that - they deserve props. Including Bosh and Wade. Bosh is even taking less than the max, in this scenario. Really, you can't criticize these guys for doing this. They realized that they needed to do something like this to have a legit shot at rings. If this actually goes down - Wade, Bosh and James deserve props for thinking outside the box and putting winning ahead of everything.

I believed Wade and Bosh had in them losing so much the last 2-3 years. Lebron? Still not buying it. I think his MVP's and career numbers are way too important for him to come to Miami. Plus coming so close in the playoffs (Finals, ECF) a few times probably has him thinking he can do it by himself as the man. Still don't buy he all of a sudden is thinking basketball first ....

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
in nomine patris
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

If true then he would be doing anything but "checking his ego at the door". If he were teaming up with Wade and Bosh then why does he feel the need to already seperate himself from their signing announcement? Why did his camp leak the fact that Bosh and Wade were indeed signing with Miami?

No, if he signs in Miami then it already shows that while he may be joining this All-Star cast, he WILL BE the top billing and that starts with a prime time press conference announcing it, while Wade and Bosh were forced to YouTube it to the public.

This thing is doomed from the beginning.

Agreed, LBJ going to Miami might seem, on the surface, to be a selfless move in the name of winning. But if you pay attention to the details (leaking other players' agendas, holding a god*** press conference on national tv) you have the makings of a guy setting himself up for the throne in Miami. For him to do that to one of his close colleagues (and potential teammates) is indicative of his true nature. He wants it all basically, to guarantee (at least come close to it) a ring, also while stealing Wade's spotlight in a new market.

If LBJ had character he'd stay in CLEVELAND which has killed themselves for him time and time again. They've already committed themselves to him financially and emotionally, why move and try to usurp another star player's market? His legacy from winning in Cleveland would be far more legendary than winning on a star studded Miami squad.

Us Laker fans know better than anyone what happens when former top stars of other teams come ring chasing...even if we would have won, it would have been less meaningful a championship than the previous ones with homegrown Laker stars.
rebirth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject:

The one funny thing about Lebron signing in Miami if true, is they have not enough players under contract to fill the roster. I think Chalmers, Beasley, bosh, wade, and maybe lebron.. They use all their cap space with signing lebron, so they will be in luxury tax hell. Furthermore thats a nice starting 5 but Bosh does not want to play center as he has stated.. who plays center, who's on the bench? Even with Lebron there are a lot of holes in Miami's line up, most notably the 5 spot and the bench. Cant win in the post season with out a solid inside presence and bench.. Hey guess what.. We have both of those..lol
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:
LeBron picking Miami is cowardice.

Lets be honest 24/ocho. You guys and many others would hate on any decision he made.

Wouldn't matter what reasons he did anything, there would be a motive found or put out there to make Lebron look awful.

Completely untrue. I think it's a good move for him to go to NY. I think it's a bad move to stay in Cleveland but I'd respect him for it. I think Chicago is his best move if he wants to seriously compete for a championship and have that team be definitively HIS. Miami is a coward move. A tail between his legs admission that he can't carry a winner. Please help me D-Wade. I'll defer to you in the 4th and spin it by telling everyone I'm a great teammate. This isn't about bashing everything he does, it's just that almost everything he does honestly deserves bashing.

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Sorry, not buying that. Miami means:

- Smaller market than NY and Chi.
- 30 M less in guaranteed money.
- Less attention
- No more MVP's, would have to win 70 a year to get them and I don't see that happening.
- Less stats.
- Less credit for wins.

I'm sorry ... but this is not a Lebron James move. At least not the James we've seen develop from a young kid into a spoiled brat so far. If he's going to Miami, it's to win. It's to have a legacy which wasn't just about great stats and MVP's. But rings too. Anytime a guy chooses that route, can't hate on it.

I don't buy it either which is why I don't think Miami is the team he's going to pick. I think he leaked out this info to make everyone think he's going to Miami only so he can surprise everyone at his big douche special. I think it's Cleveland or New York. Miami makes the least sense. And him going to Miami because he wants to win? Let me put it this way. After Kobe's Lakers lost to Phoenix twice in a row, lets say he was a free agent. Would he ever go to Miami to play second fiddle to Dwyane Wade? Would this EVER happen? Of course not. Miami isn't the best situation for LeBron to win anyway. That is clearly Chicago, where he'd have better complimentary players and a more rounded roster (Wade and LeBron together wouldn't even work...and LeBron knows it). Going to Miami would simply be a public admission that he can't lead a team and he needs Wade to do it. If he was really about rings, he'd be a Bull.

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Don't care what way anyone slices it - going to Miami - great move with the primary goal to win. Props deserved. Wouldn't change the fact that he's an egomaniac and silly for doing all that he has done in the last 2 weeks - but when push came to shove - he would have for the first time in his career chosen the best basketball move.

I don't get it. Two ball dominant perimeter players who want to be the man is a recipe for winning? Pouring all the team's money into 3 players and filling the rest out with minimum guys is a recipe for winning? Do you realize how bad players 4-12 are going to be if they get LeBron? Not to mention they'd have NO bench to speak of at all? If he wants to win he's gonna play in Chicago with Rose, Deng, Noah, Gibson and now Boozer. That's a roster that fits him and is ready to go to the Finals next year. Not Miami. Miami doesn't make basketball sense. It makes media headlines sense.

wolfpaclaker wrote:
But I don't believe for 1 second that's where is heading. I still think NY or re-signing with Cle. All this speculation is to stir up more interest for tonight at 9 PM. I believe that far more than him all of a sudden caring most about wining and going to Miami.

I agree 100%. I don't see him going to Miami. But if he does, it's not going to be because the Quitter suddenly cares about winning. It's because he finally became self-aware and realized he needed a real killer to carry HIM to a title.
Ko8e8ryant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject:

Lebron will stay in Cleveland and appear to be a "good and loyal" guy.

- Andy Warhol
Daniel0501
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject:

I was listening to Mad Dog radio on Sirius on my way to work this morning and there was a report that Wade and Bosh were spotted boarding a flight from Miami to Greenwich.

Just to throw a little bit more fuel on the fire.

For the record, I still am NOT convinced that he's going to Miami. It's SO anti-LeBron and it stinks to high hell of a story that is just being floated out there to make tonight's TV special an "OH MY GOD" moment when he announces Cleveland or New York. This is something that aging former superstars a la Karl Malone and Gary Payton do in a last ditch effort to chase a ring. This is NOT something that three 25-28 year-olds do in the prime of their careers. Sacrifice money and statistics during the most productive years as basketball players that these guys will ever see? That is almost unfathomable to me.

I simply cannot see LeBron suspending his ego and his (to me) obvious desire to be THE undisputed guy on whatever team he is on to go to Miami and share the limelight with Wade and Bosh. ESPECIALLY considering the fact that Miami is Wade's city and the Heat are his team. He has already had success there and led them to a title. He will ALWAYS be known as the guy who LeBron needed to help win a championship and not the other way around, and I can't see LeBron being content with that. LeBron has always truck me as someone who wants to forge his own destiny and legacy in the NBA, not let it be dictated for him by someone like Wade, who I'm sure he views as no doubt a great but a LESSER player than himself.

They'd also be playing with a bunch of minimum salary scrubs, and as good as the three are, they simply can't do it all alone. Obviously there's really no precedent for this so no one knows how it would turn out if it happened, but I don't necessarily think they would suddenly become some 70-win juggernaut and take the NBA by storm.

Basically, I'll believe it when I (bleep) see it because I've been watching LeBron for 8 years now and have NEVER seen anything like this from him.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject:

Chicago is really the best situation for him. I don't really know exactly how he fits with Rose and Boozer offensively, but both are unselfish players.

New York would probably be the biggest challenge for him. He'd already have a decent side kick with Amare, but other than that New York would still be a team under construction and ripe for a star's legacy. That's where he'd be able to prove the most.

Miami does get the most headlines though.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Chicago is really the best situation for him. I don't really know exactly how he fits with Rose and Boozer offensively, but both are unselfish players.

New York would probably be the biggest challenge for him. He'd already have a decent side kick with Amare, but other than that New York would still be a team under construction and ripe for a star's legacy. That's where he'd be able to prove the most.

Miami does get the most headlines though.

Bingo. Going to Miami is clearly not the best situation for him to win in. It IS the best situation though if he wants to take the pressure off and grab the most headlines.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
^
Well, he will always be an attention whore.. His advisers are complete tools in Maverick Carter -- they really have killed his PR. Not disputing that. And the word is they want him to stay in Cle for the 30 + M. They are against him going to Miami.

Signing with Miami doesn't mean he changes who he is, but it changes how he approaches the game of basketball. For the first time it is about winning first, the rest of the stuff later.

Staying in Cle or going to NY means at least 3 more MVP's. I think no matter how you look at it off the court, on the court he would be sacrificing MVP's for a shot at rings.

And anytime basketball players do that - they deserve props. Including Bosh and Wade. Bosh is even taking less than the max, in this scenario. Really, you can't criticize these guys for doing this. They realized that they needed to do something like this to have a legit shot at rings. If this actually goes down - Wade, Bosh and James deserve props for thinking outside the box and putting winning ahead of everything.

I believed Wade and Bosh had in them losing so much the last 2-3 years. Lebron? Still not buying it. I think his MVP's and career numbers are way too important for him to come to Miami. Plus coming so close in the playoffs (Finals, ECF) a few times probably has him thinking he can do it by himself as the man. Still don't buy he all of a sudden is thinking basketball first ....

That's the reason I don't get down on him. He has been touted as the face of the league since he came to the game. I don't think he knew how to accept the accolades with class. I blame his team more so than I do him for his personality.

I don't think playing in Miami diminishes his chances at MVP I believe it to be just the opposite. If his numbers remain as they've been and Miami gets to the finals just his being LeBron will almost guarantee him another MVP. Remember he's still the face of the league until they change it.

IIRC all three, James, Wade and Bosh have stated they'd take a pay cut to get a ring. LeBron's still going to make endorsement money whether in New York, Cleveland or any large or small market. He did it in Cleveland and it's a small market. Business owners have, like the league, adopted him as their face. He has astute business managers to guide his investments. Warren Buffett will be his advisor no matter where he plays. If his team doesn't kill his image he'll be fine.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
tom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject:

Lebron scared for his family....

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/07/security_tight_around_bath_hom.html
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 15 of 17
Jump to: