Report: LeBron To Pick Miami Heat (Pg. 14)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject:

The thing that impresses me - Lebron is the first guy who left that much money on the table and went to someone else's team. Simply because he knew he wasn't ever sniffing a ring in Cle anytime soon and in Miami his chances increase 10 fold. They may not win right away, but they have the talent to eventually do it. Maybe even 2-3 times.

That impresses me.

What disgusts me is how these guys handled it. SVG nailed it. You don't need to go on a live show and act like this is the biggest moment in sports and use teams like that. Make them wait. Lebron has lost so many fans and respect because of that. I don't think anyone will defend his antics anymore. You just can't. He acted like a completely selfish A-Hole.

But lost in all of that is that he did to this to win rings. Will that help Lebron most? Yes. However it is the first time a guy of his caliber did that with so much money on the line. I really think for that he deserves props. The whole thing is with the way they handled it you feel like ignoring that and just giving him the finger. No class. No respect for the Cle organization. Using multiple other franchises. Just not something a good person would do. And I want to add Wade and Bosh in this too. They ain't innocent. This was a pact made well before July 1st and SAS knew about it. They were going to make it happen. But they went to other teams pretended like they were interested - when all along they knew only Miami could pull this off and that was where it was going to happen.

Yes that may be good business - a lot worse happens in business world - but with everyone watching and knowing - don't expect anyone to care about what reasons you did it for. They'll just see how you went about it and hate the living (bleep) out of you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
The thing that impresses me - Lebron is the first guy who left that much money on the table and went to someone else's team. Simply because he knew he wasn't ever sniffing a ring in Cle anytime soon and in Miami his chances increase 10 fold. They may not win right away, but they have the talent to eventually do it. Maybe even 2-3 times.

That impresses me.

What disgusts me is how these guys handled it. SVG nailed it. You don't need to go on a live show and act like this is the biggest moment in sports and use teams like that. Make them wait. Lebron has lost so many fans and respect because of that. I don't think anyone will defend his antics anymore. You just can't. He acted like a completely selfish A-Hole.

But lost in all of that is that he did to this to win rings. Will that help Lebron most? Yes. However it is the first time a guy of his caliber did that with so much money on the line. I really think for that he deserves props. The whole thing is with the way they handled it you feel like ignoring that and just giving him the finger. No class. No respect for the Cle organizations. Using multiple other franchises. Just not something a good person would do.

How is that impressive? He is still making $100+ million, no income tax, and he has a contract with Nike that pays him $100 million more.

How is it impressive to go to a team that makes up 33% of the Eastern Conference All-Star starters last year?

That's easy and weak and a cop-out. He wants the glory, but doesn't want to work for it.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject:

There have been guys who have been in the same situation - who have chosen the maximum money and the man status every time.

Look at Dirk Nowitzki. Nowitzki will always be a loser because he chose to stay married to Cuban and where he was considered a hero. Sure no one will ever throw tomatoes at Dirk or call him an A-hole and all the other (bleep) Lebron has coming his way.

But Dirk will also probably sniff a ring in his career in Dallas. He'll be forever known as a hero there, applauded but in the end when they look back at his career "Wow, great numbers, MVP's, heck of a player ... NOT a great .. no rings".

That was James' fate if he stayed in Cleveland. NY? Stats and great attention, MVP's but no ring. Cle? Very good stats and MVP's. Unlikely ring.

It was only Chicago or Miami who had any chance of giving him a chance at rings. And I'm guessing he realizes that in Chicago being compared to MJ all the time was too much, plus with the relationship he has with Wade and the pact made - Miami could give that. Another thing probably that Chicago wouldn't let his cronies be an influence while Riley has probably given them some privileges.

IMO James made the best decision. The problem is how he made it and the tactics used to get there. Those were not called for at all. Plus James basically exposed himself to be a prick. There's no coming back from this. Everyone knows Lebron is a prick. Even the guys who jocked him in the media. All of that still doesn't negate the fact that he went to the best situation to win for less than the max money. And he would be the first guy in recent memory (for a guy of his status and demand) to do that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
oldandpurpleandgold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
There have been guys who have been in the same situation - who have chosen the maximum money and the man status every time.

Look at Dirk Nowitzki. Nowitzki will always be a loser because he chose to stay married to Cuban and where he was considered a hero. Sure no one will ever throw tomatoes at Dirk or call him an A-hole and all the other (bleep) Lebron has coming his way.

But Dirk will also probably sniff a ring in his career in Dallas. He'll be forever known as a hero there, applauded but in the end when they look back at his career "Wow, great numbers, MVP's, heck of a player ... NOT a great .. no rings".

That was James' fate if he stayed in Cleveland. NY? Stats and great attention, MVP's but no ring. Cle? Very good stats and MVP's. Unlikely ring.

It was only Chicago or Miami who had any chance of giving him a chance at rings. And I'm guessing he realizes that in Chicago being compared to MJ all the time was too much, plus with the relationship he has with Wade and the pact made - Miami could give that. Another thing probably that Chicago wouldn't let his cronies be an influence while Riley has probably given them some privileges.

IMO James made the best decision. The problem is how he made it and the tactics used to get there. Those were not called for at all. Plus James basically exposed himself to be a prick. There's no coming back from this. Everyone knows Lebron is a prick. Even the guys who jocked him in the media. All of that still doesn't negate the fact that he went to the best situation to win for less than the max money. And he would be the first guy in recent memory (for a guy of his status and demand) to do that.

The Bulls would have given him a better chance at winning.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

The reason Dirk isn't called out is because he's loyal, has class, and, like Duncan, even took a bit less than he could have. He knows the way to win is to build a team.

I'm sorry, but LBJ had enough to win in Cleveland. The biggest impediment was him. If they got a good coach with a good scheme, and LBJ accepted and worked on something other than Iverson ball, they had a great shot. He just doesn't want to do the work. He wants it handed to him.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject:

We will have to disagree there.

No second star - Please what championship team's 2nd best player is Mo Williams? Come on the guy couldn't cut it on the Bucks as their 2nd best player. This guy wouldn't be the 2nd best player on LA, Boston, Orlando or even Atlanta. He's not even as good as Boston's 4th best player - Rondo.

See why I say you guys want to rain on everything the guy does? You would say Cleveland has the pieces. That's hating on Lebron. He's expected to win with that bunch? Please. Sure Lebron could play better, be a better leader, not quit etc. all of that agreed.

Fact - Mike Brown was not a good offensive coach and used their guys very poorly. Lebron deserves a lot of flak for how that team imploded in the playoffs but their moves stunk.

Someone above or in the other thread talked about the mistakes Cle made roster wise. They made a lot. You can put any player on the Cavs in place of Lebron and not only would they win less regular season games, they'd win no title in June.

Cle better than LA? Better than Orlando? Boston? Now Chicago? Please. Sorry 24 - when your 2nd best player is Mo Williams and 3rd is a past his prime Antawn Jamison that is not a championship team. Certainly not with Mike Brown coaching. Then they thought Byron Scott was going to be the answer. ihihih

I feel a lot of sympathy for Cavs fans, Lebron's an A-hole to the Nth degree but the Cavs FO and coaching staff stinks too. They made bad decision after bad decision. Most recently by signing Byron Scott knowing full well that Lebron may leave anyway. Now you have a guy being paid 4-5 M on a re-building project. If I were Lebron, I'd want to leave that organization too - but wouldn't have strung them along and played with their emotions like that and then pissed on them on national TV.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
We will have to disagree there.

No second star - Please what championship team's 2nd best player is Mo Williams? Come on the guy couldn't cut it on the Bucks.

See why I say you guys want to rain on everything? You would say Cleveland has the pieces. They don't. Sure Lebron could play better, but Mike Brown was not a good offensive coach and used their guys very poorly. Lebron deserves a lot of flak for how that team imploded in the playoffs but their moves stunk.

Someone above or in the other thread talked about the mistakes Cle made roster wise. They made a lot. You can put any player on the Cavs in place of Lebron and not only would they win less regular season games, they'd win no title in June.

Cle better than LA? Better than Orlando? Boston? Now Chicago? Please. Sorry 24 - when your 2nd best player is Mo Williams and 3rd is a past his prime Antawn Jamison that is not a championship team. Certainly not with Mike Brown coaching. Then they thought Byron Scott was going to be the answer. ihihih

I feel a lot of sympathy for Cavs fans, Lebron's an A-hole to the Nth degree but the Cavs FO and coaching staff stinks too. They made bad decision after bad decision.

I absolutely don't want to rain on everything. I just disagree with you. I wouldn't have rained at all on staying in CLE. I think that's the "right" move on several levels. They have assets and can reconfigure quickly if they aren't placating LBJ's every whim. Just play a decent offensive scheme and they're in the finals last year. Add a Mike Miller. They didn't win the regular season crown to years running with nothing.

BTW, those players are the ones LBJ wanted.

The coach problem was also LBJ. Didn't want to be told how to play.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject:

And? Shaq wanted Kobe traded to play with Ray Allen. Phil wanted Kobe traded for Jason Kidd.

Guess what? The Lakers FO and their ownership knew a bad move and didn't cater to them. Kobe demanded to be traded in 2007 and acted like a (bleep). Again, FO cool, not giving in.

If James asked for players and they gave in, that is just showing how inept their FO is. Why are you listening to a player on what the team needs? Lebron is a great player, a GM he is noyt. Why are you taking his GM advice?

Lebron didn't have a championship team. They were good, very good bunch of players ... but they lacked some critical things a championship team needs.

Mo Williams would be the

5th best player on Boston.
4th best player on LA (arguably 5th)

We expect James to win rings with them? Sure not quit on them, be a better player, more coachable. All of that sure. However any time people talked about Cle being a championship team I laughed. They had no offensive system and relied way too much on Lebron. 48% of their points came from Lebron scoring or assisting. Their bigs were a 38 year old Shaq, a done Z. 2nd best player Mo Williams. That's not a championship foundation. Contrast that to what Orlando, Boston and LA have. Night and day.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

I don't think it's a negative thing that Dirk feels comfortable and has great relationship with his owner and the City of Dallas. He's had great success there and wants to continue to journey there. It's not Dirk "playing it safe" to be the hero. He wants to be in Dallas and win in Dallas.

Lebron just wanted to win and didn't want to be the fall guy if/when he didn't. Thus he chose the one place he could do both.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
And? Shaq wanted Kobe traded to play with Ray Allen. Phil wanted Kobe traded for Jason Kidd.

Guess what? The Lakers FO and their ownership knew a bad move and didn't cater to them. Kobe demanded to be traded in 2007 and acted like a (bleep). Again, FO cool, not giving in.

If James asked for players and they gave in, that is just showing how inept their FO is. Why are you listening to a player on what the team needs? Lebron is a great player, a GM he is noyt. Why are you taking his GM advice?

Lebron didn't have a championship team. They were good, very good bunch of players ... but they lacked some critical things a championship team needs.

Mo Williams would be the

5th best player on Boston.
4th best player on LA (arguably 5th)

We expect James to win rings with them? Sure not quit on them, be a better player, more coachable. All of that sure. However any time people talked about Cle being a championship team I laughed. They had no offensive system and relied way too much on Lebron. 48% of their points came from Lebron scoring or assisting. Their bigs were a 38 year old Shaq, a done Z. 2nd best player Mo Williams. That's not a championship foundation. Contrast that to what Orlando, Boston and LA have. Night and day.

But not night and day to what the Detroit Pistons did, without anyone near James' pedigree. The Cavs were an excellent defensive team under Brown and there regular season wins are a reflection. If their best player hadn't folder under pressure they could have/should have beat the Celtics.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject:

Pistons had the reigning 2 time DPOTY. They had Rasheed Wallace in his prime. Rip Hamilton in his prime. Tay Prince on young legs. Chauncey in his primes.

4 of those guys are all-stars at that time. They made the team all at once, together within that era.

So again, lets do this slowly.

Did Lebron have a reigning DPOTY big on his team? No.
Did Lebron have a Rasheed quality big in his prime on his team? No.
Did Lebron have a PG like Chauncey Billups in his prime? No.

The 2nd best player on his team wouldn't be the 4th best player on the rest of the contenders. That alone should tell you about his support and how Cle builds teams. Cle stockpiled on "names" beyond their prime. Shaq - past his prime 6 years ago. Jamison - no longer in his prime. The guys who were in their prime together with James - Varejao and Williams. Incidentally those guys also helped him the most.

Now look at the Lakers. Kobe, Gasol, Odom, Artest all in their primes. Bynum hasn't even entered his.

KG, Pierce and Allen - when they won - all in their primes together. Ever since KG got hurt and no longer is the same player, Boston hasn't won a ring in June. They are there because Rondo became a hell of a player.

Duncan, Parker and Gino - again the same. Won when they were in their primes. TD/Gino aged .. SA falter.

Simply put - if Cle could trade their entire roster remaining for Bosh and Wade - would they? Ofcourse. That should answer the question. Cle had some good players (Williams, Varejao) and some solid role players. They were dangerous. They weren't legit though. The moves their FO made would have had me doubt their abilities too.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Pistons had the reigning 2 time DPOTY. They had Rasheed Wallace in his prime. Rip Hamilton in his prime. Tay Prince on young legs. Chauncey in his primes.

4 of those guys are all-stars at that time. They made the team all at once, together within that era.

So again, lets do this slowly.

Did Lebron have a reigning DPOTY big on his team? No.
Did Lebron have a Rasheed quality big in his prime on his team? No.
Did Lebron have a PG like Chauncey Billups in his prime? No.

The 2nd best player on his team wouldn't be the 4th best player on the rest of the contenders. That alone should tell you about his support and how Cle builds teams. Cle stockpiled on "names" beyond their prime. Shaq - past his prime 6 years ago. Jamison - no longer in his prime. The guys who were in their prime together with James - Varejao and Williams. Incidentally those guys also helped him the most.

Now look at the Lakers. Kobe, Gasol, Odom, Artest all in their primes. Bynum hasn't even entered his.

KG, Pierce and Allen - when they won - all in their primes together. Ever since KG got hurt and no longer is the same player, Boston hasn't won a ring in June. They are there because Rondo became a hell of a player.

Duncan, Parker and Gino - again the same. Won when they were in their primes. TD/Gino aged .. SA falter.

Simply put - if Cle could trade their entire roster remaining for Bosh and Wade - would they? Ofcourse. That should answer the question. Cle had some good players (Williams, Varejao) and some solid role players. They were dangerous. They weren't legit though. The moves their FO made would have had me doubt their abilities too.

James was the 2-time reigning MVP of the NBA. That's better than anything Detroit had. Their team defense was Top 5. Jamison was a 20/10 guy right up until he was traded to the Cavs. Mo Williams was a 18 PPG game guy when he went to Cleveland AND he and Lebron made the All-Star team together. J.J. Hickson was playing like an All-Star for much of 2009-2010. Varejo, Parker, Moon, West are all way better than anyone on our Lakers bench last year.

The Cavs were really well rounded, supporting the games best player. It should have been enough for the games best player.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject:

The Cavs had a head coach who had on offensive scheme. Brown was terrible, it will be a long time before he sniffs an NBA head coach job, if ever.
dez0923
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
It's assumed LeBron would take a back seat in Miami. Remember the Olympics? Who was doing all the talking, James. Kobe did the work LeBron did the media.

Right. That's why James had better stats than Kobe nearly across the board in the Olympics, and for total career numbers in the NBA. You're delusional.
ms.goodenough
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject:

Even if Heat win the title, Lebron isn't MVP.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject:

dez0923 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
It's assumed LeBron would take a back seat in Miami. Remember the Olympics? Who was doing all the talking, James. Kobe did the work LeBron did the media.

Right. That's why James had better stats than Kobe nearly across the board in the Olympics, and for total career numbers in the NBA. You're delusional.

Kobe was the defensive stopper. Oh, and he did that little thing he's kind of known for....bailing out his team with game winning shots. We already knew then that Lebron wasn't an Alpha Dog.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject:

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/07/16/report-heat-have-been-given-zero-indication-lebron-james-wants-to-return/

Quote:

Report: Heat have been given “zero indication” LeBron James wants to return

The season of LeBron James speculation is upon us.

As you know unless you’ve spent the last year living in antarctica studying penguins, LeBron is a free agent next summer. Speculation that he could leave Cleveland again has simmered quietly for years, but the temperature has been turned up in recent months. Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert turned up the knob himself pushing GM David Griffin out the door without a Plan B in place.

Then to add to it, LeBron posted to Instagram this weekend photos of himself on a boat in and around Biscayne Bay, including this photo of the arena where he won his first rings.

This raised the hopes of some Heat fans of a reconciliation. Could LeBron return to Miami? The Heat know nothing about it, reports Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald.

LeBron James’ Instagram posts Saturday might raise hopes among some Heat fans of a James return, but the Heat does not believe James has serious interest in returning, with the thought that he will stay in Cleveland or go to the Lakers….

Again, the Heat has been given zero indication that James – a free agent next summer – would have interest in coming back and isn’t expecting that.

The buzz around the league is that LeBron may well move on from Cleveland, but he’s going to leave all his options open. LeBron wants to have choices, and he’s put himself in a position to have them. The Lakers have been rumored, staying in Cleveland is a real possibility, but LeBron is going to play out his season then look at all his options and decide. Miami could be one of those options.

But an unlikely one. Miami could clear the cap space to get him — they would have to dump the salaries of guys like Tyler Johnson and Dion Waiters — but with Goran Dragic as a free agent, would this Heat team be poised to make a leap? Not likely, and not in an East where Boston is getting stronger and there could be other teams on the rise such as Milwaukee. Miami should be a playoff team next season, but not one where the addition of LeBron makes them a threat to the Celtics, or ultimately the Warriors.

This season is going to be like the season before LeBron left Cleveland previously, every little action is going to be scrutinized and read for clues. Post a photo and say you have great memories and fans will leap to conclusions, even if that was not his intention.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Page 17 of 17
Jump to: