What were you doing 9 years ago today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject:

I was at my 7th grade math class around 9 AM and the PTA announce the 9/11 tradegy. Then, the math teacher, Mr. Ramsey, turns on the TV, and saw all the commotion. Then we had a moment of silence.

Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject:

^ 7th grade? You're making me feel old.

I was a sophmore in college and I didn't know what happened until I got to class and someone was talking about it.
thedude1977
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject:

I worked at World Trade Tower 7 when I lived in NYC and had been back in LA for about 10 months when this happened.

I was sleeping when everything started. I woke up to my friend Giuliana calling me. She let me know that a plane had flown into the WTC. I turned on the TV just in time to see the second plane hit. I kind of watched in a daze.

When the towers fell, I got sick and ran to the bathroom to throw up. I still had a lot of friends who worked there and I was sure that I had just witnessed a bunch of my friends getting murdered. It was really awful. Pretty much all of the focus goes to the twin towers, but tower 7 fell that day as well.

Eventually I discovered that no one I knew died on 9/11. That was pretty great to learn. I know it's selfish, but it made me feel a lot better to know that. I went back to NY for what turned out to be only a few months about 5 months later. The first thing I noticed in Manhattan was how disoriented I was. I couldn't find my way around and kept getting lost. I realized that I had always used the towers as a navigation device.

I went to Ground Zero and paid my respects. It was so shocking to see this gaping hole where the buildings used to be. My brain refused to accept that this is the same place I used to go to every day. I got to see a lot of my former coworkers while I was out there, and that was wonderful. They all had different stories to tell about the event they all experienced together, and they all coped with it differently. Not all of them were at work that day and obviously had a different perspective from those who were there when everything happened. One of my friends there felt guilty about running away from the site as it was happening, and had some gnarly memories of watching a woman being decapitated from falling debris. He hated hearing sirens or seeing planes in the air, and while I was out there I helped him and his girlfriend move to Rhode Island. He's back in NYC raising two boys. He's a great guy and I'm glad he's back home.

Coincidentally I am visiting NYC next week. I look forward to it. It's a great town and it has given me a lot of wonderful memories and friendships.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject:

kevin wrote:
I still can't come to watch any coverage or documentaries on it.

About 2-3 weeks after, I took a plane from SF to LA. As I waited to board, my friend from high school deplaned. I was surprised to see him and asked how things were.

I knew his sister and asked about her. He said, "She's OK... well... was."

I didn't really think about it but I later found out she was on the first plane with her toddler and husband.
Hmm... I remember, don't know if was the next day or couple days later after 9/11, there was a memorial for the victims which they showed the pictures of each victims on the TV. I remember the picture of a toddler. I think it's was the only one there that I saw.
thedude1977
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Oh yeah, one other thing I remember about that day is I was uncharacteristically scheduled to work. I was trying to make some extra money working overtime. So I drove to Venice on the 405 and it was eerie to see the freeway almost completely empty. Just me and a handful of cars. I was trying to process what I'd seen and was pretty upset.

Later, when I was walking to my car, some kid with a video camera came up and showed me his press pass. He was some sort of journalist for MTV and wanted to know what my reaction to the day's events was. He asked me what kind of reaction I wanted from the government. I told him that I wanted them to find whoever was responsible and for them to extract "biblical vengeance."

I am somewhat embarrassed by how angry I was. I hope that video never never gets seen by anyone.
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject:

^^^Sophomore in college? I was about 3 years out of college at that point.

I was getting reading for work and listening to the radio. I heard something on there about a plane hitting one of the towers, but it was real early so the details were sketchy. I fugured it was some wayward single engine craft that stalled out so I turned it off and went on to work.

About a 1/2 hour later I'm at the LAX Bus Terminal waiting to transfer lines to finish my commute and I'm seeing the planes rolling in one behind the other behind the other. It was weird because usually they come in 2 minutes or more apart. But these guys were being ushered in every 30-45 seconds. And you could see them lined up by the dozens in all the flight patterns, far as the eye could see. That's when I knew something was really wrong.
liltinybus
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject:

I was driving my route, completely oblivious that any planes had hit, but I thought it strange that I was seeing certain drivers crying on the way to the school (I was a school bus driver). I got in around 7:00 and the teachers were crying as they were taking the kids off of the bus, and that's when they told me. I went to the office and all of the drivers were watching the TV. I went home and watched the rest until I had to go back and finish my route in the pm. It was just a surreal day.
Hycosa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject:

thedude1977 wrote:
I worked at World Trade Tower 7 when I lived in NYC and had been back in LA for about 10 months when this happened.

I was sleeping when everything started. I woke up to my friend Giuliana calling me. She let me know that a plane had flown into the WTC. I turned on the TV just in time to see the second plane hit. I kind of watched in a daze.

When the towers fell, I got sick and ran to the bathroom to throw up. I still had a lot of friends who worked there and I was sure that I had just witnessed a bunch of my friends getting murdered. It was really awful. Pretty much all of the focus goes to the twin towers, but tower 7 fell that day as well.

Eventually I discovered that no one I knew died on 9/11. That was pretty great to learn. I know it's selfish, but it made me feel a lot better to know that. I went back to NY for what turned out to be only a few months about 5 months later. The first thing I noticed in Manhattan was how disoriented I was. I couldn't find my way around and kept getting lost. I realized that I had always used the towers as a navigation device.

I went to Ground Zero and paid my respects. It was so shocking to see this gaping hole where the buildings used to be. My brain refused to accept that this is the same place I used to go to every day. I got to see a lot of my former coworkers while I was out there, and that was wonderful. They all had different stories to tell about the event they all experienced together, and they all coped with it differently. Not all of them were at work that day and obviously had a different perspective from those who were there when everything happened. One of my friends there felt guilty about running away from the site as it was happening, and had some gnarly memories of watching a woman being decapitated from falling debris. He hated hearing sirens or seeing planes in the air, and while I was out there I helped him and his girlfriend move to Rhode Island. He's back in NYC raising two boys. He's a great guy and I'm glad he's back home.

Coincidentally I am visiting NYC next week. I look forward to it. It's a great town and it has given me a lot of wonderful memories and friendships.

How did they survive? Where they on the bottom floor on the WTC?
thedude1977
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Hycosa wrote:
thedude1977 wrote:

Well it was building 7 so they had more time to get out. Also a smaller building so easier to evacuate. But yeah, the guy I mention towards the end there actually was in the basement (mall level) when the planes hit. They show a lot of that level in the 9/11 movie that came out with Nic Cage.
LALdynasty!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Woke up around 6-7am and my dad had the TV on in his room and we watched the news report together making me late for school. I was in 6th grade. My teacher was very saddened by it and did not want to teach that day. We listened to the radio in class most of the day and talked about what happened.
McSassy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject:

I was driving to school...it was 11th grade. I was listening to KROQ and they interrupted saying that the WTC was under attack and kept making it a point that it was not a joke.
SladeRider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject:

I was working in the morning, came home about 2 in the afternoon (which is 9am EST) and every channel was talking about a plane flew into the world trade center and I watched and the 2nd plane cam flying in out of nowhere and I just watched in amazement when the towers fell.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject:

I was in college at the time..... it was early morning so I remember I had a test that Tuesday morning which i was late too....

but during the actual attack I was still in bed rubbing one out
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject:

I was in second grade. They gathered us in a room and turned on the television. Later, I got home that day and lamented that I would never get to go to the World Trade Center. My brother said that the clerk he had bought some souvenir from a few months ago was probably no longer alive, and it made me sad.

That was the first time I heard about Osama Bin Laden.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
RealOne
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject:

My gf at the time called (from half-way around the world) and woke me up to tell me some unbelievable story. She was crying and hysterical, she said something about buildings on fire in NY and said the White House was next. I didn't have a tv nearby and she kept sobbing as she gave me the news. For the next couple of hours she continued the relaying the reports and I was still in denial until I finally got off the phone and saw the horrifying images for myself. For once, one of the threads on the board that I used to frequent which routinely started with NO Troll... actually became a grim, gripping, unfathomable reality on that day.
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject:

thedude1977 wrote:
Hycosa wrote:
thedude1977 wrote:

Well it was building 7 so they had more time to get out. Also a smaller building so easier to evacuate. But yeah, the guy I mention towards the end there actually was in the basement (mall level) when the planes hit. They show a lot of that level in the 9/11 movie that came out with Nic Cage.

How did building 7 go down if it wasn't hit? How close was it to the towers, maybe the Twin towers fell on top of it?
kevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Seth McFarland, creator of Family Guy, was supposed to be on one of the flights from Boston. He was hung over and overslept and missed his flight by an hour or so.
hig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject:

I woke up just in time to see the 2nd plane hit...and then frantically tried to reach my friend who flies with AA. I tried all day to get in touch with her...busy signal...no answer...busy signal...no answer...no email response.
The next day she wrote to tell everyone she was not working on the 11th, but that one of her friends was on the first plane.

I didn't work til noon and when I got there, the security was armed, which was not the norm. They were taking extra precautions, being that I work for the power company in Sac...which, of course powers the capitol, and there was fear of another attack, perhaps on the west coast.

My mom called and was a little nervous that I live only about 4-5 blocks from the capitol...which was surrounded and barricaded by police.

Later that evening at work, I went downtown to buy the special edition of the Sacramento Bee and it was literally a ghost-town. Just a surreal day all around.
thedude1977
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Ted wrote:
thedude1977 wrote:
Hycosa wrote:
thedude1977 wrote:

How did building 7 go down if it wasn't hit? How close was it to the towers, maybe the Twin towers fell on top of it?

The cause of the collapse of 7 World Trade is not fully understood; however we do know that heavy debris fell on the structure and that several unexplained fires broke out in various locations. The lack of an obvious cause for the collapse is one of the main openings for conspiracy theorists to exploit. For instance, they claim that some sort of thermitic material was found in the dust and rubble that indicates a planned demolition. I am not endorsing any of these suggestions.

What we do know is that the official explanation is that the fires weakened the structure and caused the collapse, although that would be perhaps the first and only time that such a structure has collapsed due to fire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_World_Trade_Center

Here is a website 'raising questions' aka engaging in a conspiratorial whisper campaign. This site is currently advertising on TV throughout the NYC region.

buildingwhat.org

Like I said, I find the questions to be pretty conspiracy based. I am comfortable not knowing what happened and don't think that the fact that there is no clear understanding of what happened means that the presumptions and alternative theories floating around out there have any merit.

All I know is that I worked there, then it didn't exist anymore, and that it's since been rebuilt.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject:

I heard a hilarious joke today. Sorry if it offends anyone but it made me laugh. The comedian starts off by describing his day so far, making sure to emphasize some (bleep) things happened to him, and the punchline is: "man, today was the worst 9/11 in like 15 years." I couldn't help but laugh.
Canadian Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject:

I was at work already since I started at 8:30am EST and one of my co-workers came into the office asking if anyone heard on the news while driving in that a plane hit the World Trade Center. I didn't think anything of it because she wasn't animated or hysterical or anything and I figured it was one of those small private passenger type of planes and nothing "major". I'm not sure how we realized it but I assume somebody in the office got news of the severity of the situation, probably after the second plane hit, and word spread quickly.

Three things I recall were that we couldn't get onto any news sites online, the phones in the office were pretty much silent and that a company underwriter who worked in our office was worried because her son apparently worked at the World Trade Center. We later found out that he was fine and never in any real danger. I also remember hearing one co-worker answering a call from a client asking for a quote by telling them that they were crazy to ask for a quote at that time and to call back tomorrow.

Just after midday the owner told everyone to go home so we did. I caught the live video images and news for a couple of hours before going to pick up my Godkids from school. It was a very surreal day.
Jamesikan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject:

I was in the 2nd grade. I remember my mother waking me up, and handing me my clothes. I got dressed, and went upstairs where she apperantly just heard to news while I was getting dressed. She has this solemn look on her face, and I think she was crying, but she said (without breathing like she was crying), "Eric, New York's buildings have been hit with a terrorist plane. Do you want to go to school today?"

Me, being like 8 at the time, and living in Alaska, didn't really give a rat's ass about New York, so I said "yeah". It was about 2 years later I finally appreciated the grandeur of this tragedy.

And to this day, I kick myself for being an arrogant little jerk about not caring about New York or the people who suffered and/or died.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Alaskan Laker Fan wrote:
I was in the 2nd grade. I remember my mother waking me up, and handing me my clothes. I got dressed, and went upstairs where she apperantly just heard to news while I was getting dressed. She has this solemn look on her face, and I think she was crying, but she said (without breathing like she was crying), "Eric, New York's buildings have been hit with a terrorist plane. Do you want to go to school today?"

Me, being like 8 at the time, and living in Alaska, didn't really give a rat's ass about New York, so I said "yeah". It was about 2 years later I finally appreciated the grandeur of this tragedy.

And to this day, I kick myself for being an arrogant little jerk about not caring about New York or the people who suffered and/or died

You should have kicked yourself for going to school. If a parent gives you an out, take it.
Jamesikan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Alaskan Laker Fan wrote:

And to this day, I kick myself for being an arrogant little jerk about not caring about New York or the people who suffered and/or died

You should have kicked yourself for going to school. If a parent gives you an out, take it.

I had PE that day. I loved PE.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject:

I had the day off, but happened to be watching CNN as the first tower was burning. When the explosion in the second tower happened, I had the standard WTH reaction because I didn't see the plane crash into it from their angle. When they started saying it was another plane, I remembered myself thinking "war..." from that point on. Who knew it would still be going on to this day. To the best of my recollection, my first reactions were just overwhelming disgust and overwhelming pity. Looking back, I'm stunned that the toll wasn't much higher than 3000.

Made all the calls, etc, only person I got who didn't know what was up was my older sister. Sometime after the buildings were gone, I went out and played basketball at a gym that morning, which was my initial plan, listened to the Stern broadcast, which was playing over the speakers there. I had a flight on 9/12 to Sacramento, canceled obviously.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: