LeBron Bumps Spoelstra
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
OX1947 wrote:
I dont know why Laker fans continue to whine about Lebron and Miami. You should be thankful he decided to go to Miami. Because had he been smart, he would have gone to Chicago and really made Chicago a threat to the Lakers the next 4 years.

Now, all the Lakers have to do is stay healthy and they are going to stock pile titles until 2014.

I'm not sure if the league is out of the woods yet. Wade's '06 team started 10-10. And it always feels like the Lakers give confidence booster games to teams. I'm afraid as bad as the Heat are playing, we will still lose to them on Christmas day because Kobe doesn't shoot well on Christmas games. I just know that every-time there is this big stage on Christmas day featuring Kobe vs Shaq, we always end up heart broken. I know Kobe will especially want to do well this Christmas, and will end up 10 for 30 or something. Look up his Christmas game shooting stats, it's not good. And then Miami gets a shot of confidence. That's just the pessimist in me.

Having Shaq and Mourning inside is mighty different than Bosh and Big Z.

Shaq/Mourning
Haslem/Walker
Posey/Kapono
Wade
Payton/Williams

The balance offensively and defensively doesn't compare. Not to mention the strong veteran personalities that just wanted to win at the point. Stats be damned.
No. 17
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
I am loving every minute of this

Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
LeBron James on his way out of the locker room jokingly bumped into someone, saying, "Sorry, I bumped you!"

twitter.com/tomhaberstroh
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Both Spo and LeBJ are claiming unintentional,
Marty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
James, Heat coach Spoelstra have pregame meeting
Posted Nov 29 2010 7:42PM

MIAMI (AP) -- LeBron James says his shoulder-bump of Erik Spoelstra carried no hidden meaning.

"Incidental contact," James said.

Regardless, James and Spoelstra met for about 30 minutes before the Miami Heat hosted the Washington Wizards on Monday night, talking offense and trying to find more common ground as the relationship between the two-time reigning NBA MVP and the third-year coach continues to grow.

James collided with Spoelstra while walking off the floor for a timeout in Dallas on Saturday night, prompting almost immediate - and ongoing - speculation that it was some sort of sign of disrespect. Spoelstra said he didn't view it that way, and James insisted Monday that there was nothing untoward going on at that moment.

"I didn't realize. I don't think Coach realized it either until they brought it to our attention," James said. "Really nothing, honestly."

There is speculation that their relationship is frosty anyway.

LINK
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: LeBron and Erik Spoelstra Say Bump Was Unintentional

Quote:
LeBron and Erik Spoelstra Say Bump Was Unintentional

MIAMI —
The Miami Heat on Monday downplayed things that go bump in the night.

At least the bump between coach Erik Spoelstra and forward LeBron James during a third-quarter timeout Saturday in Dallas.

Amid the Heat's overall struggles, and particularly struggles in that loss to the Mavericks, the YouTube posting of the video created question about whether the Heat's high-profile free-agent acquisition was attempting to send a message to his third-year coach.

Not so, James said before Monday night's game against the Washington Wizards at AmericanAirlines Arena.

"I didn't realize. I don't think Coach realized it either, until it was brought up to our attention," James said. "Really, nothing, honestly, incidental contact I guess. It wasn't intentional or anything."

Spoelstra said after Monday morning's shootaround it was typical of the chaos that can ensue when he strides to the foul circle to plot strategy and his players return to the bench.

"I didn't even notice it until people mentioned it after the game," Spoelstra said. "Often, coming out of the timeout, it's a pinball game. I'm colliding into a lot of people. So it's probably a perfect case of over-speculation from this team."

There were several heated exchanges between teammates during that loss, followed by a players-only meeting in the locker room.

"I was fine with that timeout," Spoelstra said. "The fact that guys are not happy about the play, tempers rose, you could see the fire and passion in people's eyes. That's the way it should be. None of us should be happy about what was going on in the third quarter and taking it in stride."

Spoelstra said he did not see a reason to address the incident with James. James playful bumped into a cameraman after his pregame locker-room session, quipping, "Sorry I bumped you."

Teammates also downplayed the incident in Dallas.

"It's just something else that's blown out of proportion," forward Chris Bosh said. "We bump into each other all the time."

Dwyane Wade said it never became an issue in the locker room.

"It's nothing we're concerned with inside of here, in the sense of everything is coming down in the Miami Heat organization," he said. "I didn't even see the bump, so I can't say anything about it.

"But I know Coach and I know LeBron, and both are true professionals. And I think if it was a bump, it was two guys just walking at the same time and just so happened to bump each other, more so than anything. It's no disrespect."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/sfl-miami-heat-lebron-bump-s112910,0,715335.story
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject:

^ Borscht

Both saw it coming, especially James who threw his shoulder forward just prior to the impact. I guarantee you at least ONE of them saw it coming, highly likely both. Yet all it would take is one to prevent a collision. Neither wanted to yield.
Caught in the devil's bargain
And we've got to get ourselves
Back to the garden

-Joni Mitchell
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:53 am    Post subject:

before the mavs game, lebron was called out by spoel, in front of the whole team. he got embarrased.

so him bumping the coach a few hours later is completely realistic.

he wants spoel gone because he actually stands up to bron.
3peat_pete
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject:

well, this>>>> http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/9885/lbj0.jpg will totally warm things up for the two of them.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject:

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/09/15/pat-riley-says-lebron-james-subtly-asked-him-to-replace-erik-spoelstra-in-2010/

Quote:
Pat Riley says LeBron James subtly asked him to replace Erik Spoelstra in 2010

Los Angeles Lakers forward LeBron James is one of the best to ever play the game. He has multiple championships to his name, and now it seems as though he might take a different direction in the Sunshine state with regard to his career.

But just a decade ago, LeBron’s legacy was not so certain. In fact, James was a bit of a villain after the disaster that was “The Decision” and his new perceived persona with the Miami Heat.

That transition is the partial subject of a new book by Ian Thomsen, who appeared on a recent edition of Zach Lowe podcast to discuss some of the subjects at hand. Titled “The Soul of Basketball: The Epic Showdown Between LeBron, Kobe, Doc, and Dirk That Saved the NBA” Thomsen’s book has been getting excellent reviews, and based on his conversation with Lowe it certainly seems worthwhile.

One of the best excerpts that Lowe and Thomsen discussed was a story from Pat Riley about James subtly asking for the Hall of Famer to replace young Heat coach Erik Spoelstra.

If you don’t remember the context, this rumored rift between LeBron and Spoelstra started when the Heat began the season just 9-8 in 2010. During a loss to the Dallas Mavericks on Nov. 27 of that year, LeBron was seen bumping into Spoelstra going into at timeout after Dirk Nowitzki hit a jumper over Chris Bosh to put Dallas up by double-digits late in the third quarter.

Here’s a quote from Lowe’s podcast, where Lowe is quoting a passage of Thomsen’s book that is spoken by Riley:

[I] asked how things were progressing. They just said, “We’re not feeling it, or something like that.” We talked about the typical things we have to do, have patience, all that stuff.

And I remember LeBron looking at me and he said, “Don’t you ever get the itch?”

And I said, “The itch for what?”

He said, “The itch to coach again.”

I said, “No I don’t have the itch.”

He didn’t ask any more questions and I didn’t offer any more answers but I know what it meant and I always go back and wonder what he was thinking at that time. He walked out scratching at his leg like it was itching.

The story that LeBron wanted Spoelstra out of Miami is not a new one. It was a rumor at the time a decade ago, and much as you might expect we have only come to see its verification some time later, with all concerned parties satisfied with their eventual result — two championships.

This is perhaps the best thing to come out of books like these. The inner workings of the NBA, often rumored, don’t come to light while players are still involved with parties they may take issue with. It’s only with the passage of time, and perhaps physical distance, that players and coaches are willing to speak with reporters to get the real story on record. That’s how we get to know about things like this, and it’s great.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: