Tony Gaffney posts on FB that Melo wants to be a Laker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject:

NOODLESTYLE wrote:
Wow Melo to LA? will he play the Scottie Pippen/Point-Forward role?

whatever happened to the user that was a Melo fan that used to post on LG? he's probably orgasming over this trade rumor.

And I don't think Melo can handle the ball. Andre Iguodala would be a better fit for that Scottie Pippen role in the Triangle.
Money23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject:

Na emplay u are wrong im also friends with Gaffney and it was there but he pulled it off
KIngKuMAR
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject:

The reason he pulled it off is because it has a good chance of happening.....
Jellojigglin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Add an injured shot blocker with no offense to the trade no thanks. We should pass on Turdman besides we have better neck tatoos on Barnes.

Runway8 wrote:
I'd do Odom and Artest for Melo and Birdman.

Bynum
Gasol
Melo
Kobe
Fish

Birdman
Barnes
Shannon
Blake

I could live with this 9-man rotation.

Watson
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject:

the rumor is not true. Nuggets have officially suspended all Carmelo trade talks while Carmelo grieves the death of his sister:

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/12/nuggets-put-trade-talks-for-grieving-melo-on-hold.html
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Lamar+Ron works, but I don't buy it.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:29 pm    Post subject:

Lowest Merion wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
And Carmelo has consistently been against signing in NJ.
If you ignore Woj, who's pretty much always correct, then, yes, this is correct.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-anthonytalks122110
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
Yeah. I don't put much stock in rumors until Woj says so. I'm not sure if he's got his ear closer to the ground than everyone else, has pictures of Stern and various owners involving goats, or what, but the man consistently gets the story before anyone else.

And as seen with his 2 year run of attacks on LBJ, he has some very compelling off-court stories that he's not afraid to run. The stuff involving LeBron throwing temper tantrums on Team USA, Team USA officials asking Kobe and Kidd to babysit him, etc, are not things you would hear from most reporters.

By far the best in the game.

angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject:

Weird timing... which makes me dubious.

1) Melo trade talks scrapped because of family tragedy;

2) The most logical piece to compliment LO (Sasha's ending contract) has just been traded to the Nets.

That being said I could see a Laker interest. Magic_bryant is correct, in that age, toil and surgery has taken a toll on Kobe's game, most glaringly in his ability to close. While Kobe might improve by the ASG it is pretty clear the championship window is predicated upon Kobe's age and mileage. Carmelo would certainly extend that window.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:48 am    Post subject:

I remember this scrub... He was supposed to be the next Ariza.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
HAWAIIGUY27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject:

Someone check Gaffney's Twitter. Maybe he tweeted the details of the trade.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject:

I don't know what to say.
But so far, the magic wand seems to work for better trades.
OX1947
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject:

You know, its funny when people throw the "Pippen role" comment for any would be who can handle the ball and maybe play D. I think many of you need to wake up and realize that Pippen was as unique a player as Shaq. Not as dominate or as prolific, however, his skills, size and brain are as rare as any player who has ever played. And I still believe without Pippen, there is no way in hell Jordan becomes who becomes. Pippen was the perfect compliment to Jordan from a basketball stand point and ego standpoint.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject:

OX1947 wrote:
You know, its funny when people throw the "Pippen role" comment for any would be who can handle the ball and maybe play D. I think many of you need to wake up and realize that Pippen was as unique a player as Shaq. Not as dominate or as prolific, however, his skills, size and brain are as rare as any player who has ever played. And I still believe without Pippen, there is no way in hell Jordan becomes who becomes. Pippen was the perfect compliment to Jordan from a basketball stand point and ego standpoint.

Agree with you. But I also lol at those refusing to have Melo as a Laker if we don't give up too much. The history shows that most skilled players will do better under Phil's system. Melo will be no exception. He will play a different role under Phil and Triangle. He may not be Pippen. But surely, he is a damned more than just a talent under Phil and playing along with kobe and Gasol.

At the right price, Mitch will wave the wand again. Abbacadabra!
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject:

OX1947 wrote:
You know, its funny when people throw the "Pippen role" comment for any would be who can handle the ball and maybe play D. I think many of you need to wake up and realize that Pippen was as unique a player as Shaq. Not as dominate or as prolific, however, his skills, size and brain are as rare as any player who has ever played.

And I still believe without Pippen, there is no way in hell Jordan becomes who becomes. Pippen was the perfect compliment to Jordan from a basketball stand point and ego standpoint.

Good one.

Last point, I'd agree with, but the door swings both ways...for those who argue like Pippen's 94 season was the equivalent of him doing the same for ten years. He didn't even repeat that feat in 95 and has almost been absolved on message boards for the 1.8 sec stunt. Imagine if Kobe did something like that....people still get on his ass for not shooting the ball in a RS game from 7 yrs ago.

Pip was a supreme 2nd fiddle, but NOT a franchise player (and Reinsdorf knew it, too, cheap bastard notwithstanding). POS or not, trumped up rival of Kobe's or not.........Jordan's team, Jordan's will that shaped it, Jordan that stepped up in the most critical moments, Jordan's bigger share in the glory. Jordan must've laffed his ass off at the footage of Pip and Ho passin the ball like a hot potato to Pax in 93. That's the fundamental difference between a Mike Jordan and a Scott Pippen -- Scott kills you when big brother is standing next to him. Mike is the big brother. Pip's true colours came out in the Houston and Portland years.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:

Agree with you. But I also lol at those refusing to have Melo as a Laker if we don't give up too much. The history shows that most skilled players will do better under Phil's system. Melo will be no exception. He will play a different role under Phil and Triangle. He may not be Pippen. But surely, he is a damned more than just a talent under Phil and playing along with kobe and Gasol.

It would be interesting to see what a Howard or a Melo would make of themselves in this culture as opposed to Denver with Caveman Coach or in "small pond" Orlando. If Ron could do what he did in a Gm7 Finals situation here and completely turn his attitude around, it's surely possible for those two. Hell, the guy Ron replaced also came up with what will likely be his only season as a money player. Boyz II Men. Course it would be fun to drive Lakerhaters krazy after helping themselves again to another team's star.
TheElectronica
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject:

The annual "such and such" wants to be a Laker right before he signs a huge deal and gets dealt else where.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:

It would be interesting to see what a Howard or a Melo would make of themselves in this culture as opposed to Denver with Caveman Coach or in "small pond" Orlando. If Ron could do what he did in a Gm7 Finals situation here and completely turn his attitude around, it's surely possible for those two. Hell, the guy Ron replaced also came up with what will likely be his only season as a money player. Boyz II Men. Course it would be fun to drive Lakerhaters krazy after helping themselves again to another team's star.

Agreed. Either Dwight or Melo would be better players j this culture with Kobe as the lead dog, experienced clutch performer.

And both would do well in the triangle.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Course it would be fun to drive Lakerhaters krazy after helping themselves again to another team's star.

Forgot to say I agree with that as well.
no fat chicks!
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject:

BobbyJ wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Bynum
Gasol
Melo
Kobe
Fish

Birdman
Barnes
Shannon
Blake

Thank God your not the Lakers GM.

I think 30 out of 30 GMs would prefer Melo and Birdman over Artest and Odom
no fat chicks!
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject:

[quote="wolfpaclaker"]It'll be ironic if LO got traded the one season where even his biggest basher would have not moved him because of his stellar play.quote]

You think it would be ironic to trade Odom when his trade value is actually high???
no fat chicks!
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject:

kobeownslebron wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
BobbyJ wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Bynum
Gasol
Melo
Kobe
Fish

Birdman
Barnes
Shannon
Blake

Thank God your not the Lakers GM.

LOL. Well, the rumor is Odom and picks, so yes, I think Mitch could do better. I was tossing Artest in there to round out the team cuz I'm not sure how he'd handle coming off the bench. Birdman gives you back the height that you lost in Odom, and he defends too. But I guess most "Odom" believers would laugh at this suggestion. Odom and Artest for Melo and Birdman would be laughed at any other year cause it wouldn't be an equal trade to Denver. But Melo wants out and Odom is playing at an all time high. Odom has 11 years of inconsistent play, but 29 games of consistent play this year. If I had a chance to snag Melo for Odom, this is your window of opportunity right now. If you look at the big picture, it's not that ridiculous. Especially when Odom comes back down to earth. Then you wouldn't be laughing but crying that you could have had Melo.

FAIL. Odom won't come back down to Earth we don't need Melo anyway we've won two titles without him and who will be Bynum insurance when/if he gets hurt? Joe Smith lol

I dont think you correctly read the post before you replied. In his scenario Birdman would be the insurance in case Bynum got hurt. Not Joe Smith. And why would you use our 4th string PF as an example of who would back-up Bynum? Odom has has something like 11 incredibly inconsistant seasons in the NBA before this year. Last year Im not sure he was even as good as the average 2nd string PF. He hasnt played well at all coming off the bench, which is where he will soon be. Plus, 32 seems like the age everyone pretty much now agrees is the year players start to decline (if not sooner). Odom is 31. If we did trade him, right now would be the best time. Next season he wont be worth half as much.
no fat chicks!
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject:

VujacicFan wrote:
Odom > Melo for the Lakers.

26 year old perennial MVP candidate < 31 year old 0 time allstar. Wait, huh? Do you understand how the greater then, less then symbols work? Think of them as an alligator mouth wanting to gobble the larger number. Or in this case Melo.
no fat chicks!
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject:

Katarin wrote:
Doesn't Melo need the ball to be happy? I am confused.

Actually Melo works very well without the ball. Thats why he dominated playing for team USA and was easily their best scorer. He was better then Kobe and Lebron.
no fat chicks!
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject:

shaka 19 wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:
Nuggets were in love with Caracter at draft time. As you may remember, the Nuggets felt LA had taken Caracter as a way of just pissing in their Cheerios.

A trade centered around LO isn't much, but when you consider that Caracter and Ebanks are essentially first round picks talent-wise, you can begin to see a trade that gives Denver a future that they don't actually have should Melo just outright walk at the end of the year.

Still, not buying it. Favors+3 Future #1s beats any package centered on LO.

True they have waaay better deals on the table

I agree, but if NJ is willing to give away that much, just to rent Melo for half a season (and its not like Melo will be the player who will get them over the top. You know, cuz NJ sucks). They are the dumbest team ever.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: