Chris Broussard:Kobe's 81 has changed everything

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nesli
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Chris Broussard:Kobe's 81 has changed everything

Quote:
Kobe's 81 has changed everything
posted:
Wednesday, February 1, 2006 | Feedback

Whether Kobe Bryant equals or surpasses Michael Jordan's storied career and incomparable legacy remains to be seen, but one thing's become clear: 81 gave him a new Jordan-like aura.

Kobe's obviously enjoyed superstar status for years, but 81 has taken him to a place that no one has occupied since Jordan.

Before 81, a regular-season Lakers game was only an event when they played Cleveland (LeBron) or Miami (Shaq and D Wade). Sure, fans turned out and were interested, but it wasn't an "event."'

Now, it's not even a Lakers game anymore. It's a "Kobe game." My aunt lives in L.A. and she says everyone out there is saying, "Did you see the Laker play last night? I've got tickets to go see the Laker."

Laker, not Lakers.

Now, whenever Kobe plays, it's an event. It's truly must-see TV. We're all on the edge of our seats waiting to see what he'll do. That was Jordan.

Madison Square Garden was buzzing Tuesday night like it used to buzz when MJ came to town. Kobe was on the back pages of both NYC tabloids the day of the game, and the crowd was pulling for him to do something spectacular. Even if they wanted the Knicks to win (wishful thinking), fans wanted Kobe to hit 50, at least.

Whenever Kobe and his boys hit a city now, it's huge news: front page headlines, sellout crowds, a boost for the economy.

Kobe's aura has also taken over his teammates. If you haven't noticed, their quotes and body language since Kobe's tear began have changed tremendously.

Lamar, Smush - they're all aboard now. Early in the year, they bristled as Kobe launched Js without a conscience, hit just 41 percent of his heaves and racked up loss after loss.

But now that he's averaged 43.4 points on 47 percent shooting while leading L.A. to a 9-4 record this month, they've realized that they'd better grab a hold of his coattails and hold on for dear life.

They'll even gladly endure his condescending little head slaps to the back of the dome. What's up with that anyway? Am I the only one who finds that a bit patronizing?

Jordan's teammates were the same way. Give some of the former Bulls a dose of truth serum and chase it with a question about whether it was fun playing with MJ, fun being labeled a "Jordanaire,'' and they'll tell you, "No way'' and throw in a few expletives to boot.

But winning the titles was fun, traveling with the "rock band" was fun, eating the crumbs from MJ's table was a blast. That's what Kobe's crew has realized. They're just glad to be in his presence now. In effect, they've become "Bryantaires."

It's eerie because as a ballplayer, Kobe is truly Jordan 2000. Again, we'll have to wait and see if he can equal MJ's legacy. But so much about him is similar.

His on-the-court mannerisms, his walk, his grace in the air, his tone of voice during interviews, his newfound respect for Phil Jackson and the triangle offense, and of course, that killer instinct.

As Kobe enters his prime, it'll be interesting to see if he can equal Mike over the next several years. I don't think so, but he may come as close as humanly possible.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=broussard_chris#20060201
LucasWhite
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, we are still waiting to see if Jordan can reach Magic Johnson's legacy. I guess he could have comeback if he can convince another team to let him be a owner for a few years.
MrLaker83
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject:

I don't think his slaps to the back of the head are condescending, I think he is just trying to encourage them. Personally I think a slap to the back of the head is much better that a slap on the ass!
senator kobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Like some dude on television said:

No matter what else Kobe does, he has already warped our reality in modern baskeball. When someone scores 40 or 50 now, it just doesn't feel that special anymore.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject:

MrLaker83 wrote:
I don't think his slaps to the back of the head are condescending, I think he is just trying to encourage them. Personally I think a slap to the back of the head is much better that a slap on the ass!

If he thinks that's bad, he should watch some football. Those players literally knock each other out.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject:

Wow. That article says it all. Kobe changed everything with 81. Before 81, 40 points was a GREAT game. 40 points now is just an average game, because Kobe has set the bar at 36 as an average. Before 81, only teh diehard fans watched basketball. After 81, everyone wants to see if anyone (mainly Kobe) scored 60 or more.

Before 81, I had become resigned to the fact that Kobe would just never get his due respect, at least not until he had retired. Even his peers looked at him almost as a chump. I thought that Kobe had no chance of making an argument for him as the Great of All Time. That he had fell just too far behind MJ. After 81, everyone is beginning to wonder. What 81 did, was give Kobe's chances new life. It gave him his 2nd wind. Now, you hear everyone from Tyson Chandler, to AI, to Lamar, to Bron telling anyone that will listen "we're watching true greatness right now".

To give a bit of perspective, my grandfather who HATES the ground Kobe walks on, had this to say when I told him how many Kobe had scored "He scored how MANY???" My answer, "81". His reply? "BY HIMSELF!?!?!?!? "

Kobe changed everything. The NBA has been on a steady decline ever since MJ retired. They were at the top of the heap during MJ's heyday, with the NFL a close second. After Mike retired, the league had lost the casual fan. The family that came to watch, just to see if ANY player could go "Kobe" that night. Kobe made the League matter again.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
kells1220
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Well put.
hig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:

To give a bit of perspective, my grandfather who HATES the ground Kobe walks on, had this to say when I told him how many Kobe had scored "He scored how MANY???" My answer, "81". His reply?[b] "BY HIMSELF!?!?!?!? "[/b]

That's exactly what my dad asked when I told him about Kobe scoring 81 points!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: