Why wouldn't a combo of Kobe & P. Pierce work?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject:

Sidious wrote:
Pierce is the better player but the Lakers can't make that trade. Take away Odom and the Lakers would get murdered on the inside on rebounding.

Pierce has taken a less offensive role with a guy like Ricky Davis and Walker, which is why his scoring average has dropped in 04-05, and you don't see him calling out Ainge "TRADE ME NOW". I'm sure he's unhappy but he's professional about it. Pierce is also a very underrated rebounder. With Kobe at SG and Pierce at SF, that would be a deadly scoring duo. I mean what are people basing it on that it won't work? Pierce doesn't like Kobe? So what? Shaq hated Kobe's guts.

So Odom is really working that great right now?

Comparison:
Rebounds: Odom +2
Assists: Odom +0.7
Steals: Pierce +.45
Blocks: Odom +.45
FG%: Pierce +2.4% (Shocker!)
FT%: Pierce by a mile
3PFG: Pierce
Minutes: =

Omg, Odom gets 2 more boards. We're dead now. Let's say those 2 boards gets the other team 4 points, well Pierce adds an extra 11. Odom is barely a better playmaker. Odom is a better inside player yet his FG% is lower. Have Kobe and Pierce, then you play San Antonio/Detroit,
Bowen: Oh #@$! who do I guard now?
Prince: @#%! this.
Then we play Dallas and we just blow them out. Pierce for Odom in a heartbeat. And he's only a year older than Kobe.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject:

A lot of people forget that PP has good handles and passing skills. The big question is would he be satisfied letting KB get his first?
dirka dirka
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject:

lakertim wrote:
A lot of people forget that PP has good handles and passing skills. The big question is would he be satisfied letting KB get his first?

I really think most serious NBA stars just wanna win, the accolades are usually reserved for those people....would anyone care about Billups if his team wasn't the best in the NBA?

I'm quite sure both Kobe AND Pierce would love to win more games and have a serious chance at a championship...championships make legends, the regular season does not.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject:

I don't see as big a problem as some do if they play the triangle. There would also be more flexibility in 2007 if it doesn't work.
Lakersfield
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject:

I read an article today at hoophypes.com that Ainge was quoted the he felt his team one move away from being a contender. He also said it would be sooner rather than later. I can't imagine what the move could possibly be.
maddprophet
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject:

pierce averages over 7 brds a game and over 4 assists a game. he scores, rebounds, and passes.

all the talk bout 2 egoes can't work. it's crap. thats what we all want out of lamar.

someone offers up pierce, who has what lamar lacks, and now it won't work?

i think pierce would be a great #2 here. he's not concerned with being the #1 option at this point in his career. he wants to win. and nobody would come to kobe's team expecting to be anything but the #2 option.

the only thing we loose is the initiator role. someone else would have to be the initiator. back to kobe? i don't know. smoosh? but someone can do it.

we gain what we need in pierce, and we don't loose too much. definately get more than we loose. if the #'s can work, this is an option that at least must be looked at.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject:

I don't know that Pierce can't be more of a facilitator than he is at this time. He averages 4.6apg currently, but he did score a bit less and averaged 5.1apg a couple of seasons ago. LO is averaging 5.4apg.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject:

I believe in Lamar Odom.

That said I think Paul Pierce would be a better fit with this squad. It would allow even more open shots for Sasha and Smush. We would be in trouble with Kwame on offense though.

I think it would help and hinder Chris Mihm. He would be able to play better D because of the perimeter defense by Kobe and Pierce, but get the ball a lot less on O. I think he would pick up the rebounding we would lose with Lamar gone.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject:

Here's the thing.

Pierce is undisputely a much more consistent scorer and can put up 20 points in his sleep.

But if you look at WHERE he scores from on the court and then compare it to where Kobe likes to score from - it's very similar.

Just like with Caron - who was also a better scorer than LO - Pierce might put up impressive points but his method in doing so would take away from the dominance that Kobe has.

Kobe could use an interior scorer or a perimeter shooter. He doesn't need someone that scores from the wing like he does.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Bradyda-LeSueur
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
kobe and peirce dont flow well offensively, we will turn into a team with no ball movement, just too shooters taking turns with the rock
i think what would work best are:
1 a triple threat pg
2 a post up scorer, 15+ppg

Well how do you know that Phil wouldn't be able to work it out with them...I mean if he did it for Kobe and Shaq...why not Kobe and Pierce...if there is anyone that could make that work...it's Phil...I say give it a try...and if it fails...trade for KG later on...so...but that is just me...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
BigEvil
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject:

I can't say I've watched Pierce play much. My concern is whether they play from the same spots or not. I mean even if Pierce takes on the secondary roll without a fuss, will he be able to get to his spots in the offense with Kobe out there as well?

He is a great scorer, but will he remain that way if he has to give up some of his plays?

Obviously if Pierce would be given the facilitator role, his scoring would drop. I mean I don't think even Scottie averages 20ppg with Jordan on the wing. I was never opposed to this kind of trade, but I really don't know much about Da' Truth.
Showtime_Returns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Sidious wrote:
Showtime_Returns wrote:
^^^^
And I say Odom's rebounding numbers aren't that important. Not only are his numbers inflated because he plays significant amount of time at PF, but he has to compete with Mihm and Kwame in the frontcourt. Do a comparison Pierce averages exactly 2 less rebounds than Odom. Last time I checked you need to score to win.

It's not about plugging in numbers. Odom provides versatility and front court depth. Mihm and Kwame are always in foul trouble. It doesn't show up on the stat sheet, but depth is important. Basketball is a game of match ups, not just plugging in points per game. I'm as unsatisfied as anybody with what Odom is doing, but he's still valuable to the team. With Pierce this team would score more consistently, but they would be way too thin up front.

Way too thing up front? Haha. Odom versatility is severely overrated. Trading Odom just means that Cook and Bynum will have to play larger roles on the team. I've seen Phil win games with Cook starting at PF and Sasha starting at SF. With a huge upgrade in talent I seriously doubt finding someone to replace Odom's contribution up front will be that hard.
maddprophet
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject:

c'mon people. ballers know how to play. kobe and paul would figure it out. pierce isn't so one dementional scoring that he has to be surrounded by certain type of players to succeed. same with kobe.

they are versatile players. ballers. they would be fine together. especially with phil at the helm. and the tri works itself out as far as spacing and being in scoring spots. learn the tri, and the rest takes care of itself if you have talent. which they do.

like i said before. we can make up for what we loose with lo, through pierce and others. we gain more than we loose is basically how i feel.
BigEvil
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Thats not always the case, chemistry is important. Sometimes the parts just don't mesh. All you need to do is look around the league.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: