Smush has no business starting
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Chris Duhon
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Chris Duhon

I argued with some last year over him !

He was a stud !

We should have picked him up. I knew it - that he would make it in the NBA. He just has that mentality and toughness that is required in the NBA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
mike_kb
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject:

We also should've picked up Ginobli, Parker, Prince, Boozer, Marquis Daniels, etc.. Can't play that game.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Wait til Smush gets a chance to learn some defense over next summer.

So why couldn't we get Duhon for the MLE again?

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
So why couldn't we get Duhon for the MLE again?

He was a RFA, Mike.

Had to come through trade.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Sage_10 wrote:
That's a horrible thing to say. Nobody deserves to be told their defense is as bad as Sucky Atkins.

At this point Ill take Atkin's consistent offense and off defense over Smush's offense/defense. Atkin's might have been terrible, but people are just exaggerating now.
ncaugnit
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Smush IMO could be that second scoring option on this team, taking the pressure off of Lamaar. Smush could average......and no I don't do drugs(no, weed is not a "drug" )18-20 points a game for this team. All he has to do is BE AGGRESSIVE!!! Smush needs to go to the hole a lot more than he does. If Tony Parker can lead the entire NBA in "in the paint" scoring then I don't know why Smush should not be able to get to the rack with ease. True Tony Parker is faster and quicker than Smush(not by much), but Smush is taller, stronger, and more athletic. It's not like he can't finish when he goes to the basket, he just doesn't do it often enough(Go to the basket that is). His penetration would open up the whole Laker offense. Smush could get 6-7 assists a game in addition to his 18 or so points by kicking out to open teamates. Kobe would still get double-teamed but maybe not as aggressively because of another threat. Lamaar not having to try and be the seocnd-coming of Scottie Pip, could happily contribute his 15/9/5 or maybe a touch more, without the mental stress of trying to be a 20/12/8 guy. Kwame would be around the basket for the only thing he's good at offensively, uncontested two-handed dunks. The entire team would benefit greatly if just ONE guy took a stand. Kobe respects aggressive teamates. I think he would embrace a "go to the hole"Smush.

Lamaar is who he's going to be....he's been in the league, what, seven or 8 years now. He may get a little better, but he won't change his "unselfish to a fault" game.

but Smush on the other hand....

They called this guy "Grim Reaper" on the courts in NYC.

If Smush starts playing a little less "Grim", and gets some more "Reaper" in his game consistantly.....The Lakers could get to the WCF.

Yes, the WCF.

really. no drugs.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject:

ncaugnit wrote:
Smush IMO could be that second scoring option on this team, taking the pressure off of Lamaar. Smush could average......and no I don't do drugs(no, weed is not a "drug" )18-20 points a game for this team. All he has to do is BE AGGRESSIVE!!! Smush needs to go to the hole a lot more than he does. If Tony Parker can lead the entire NBA in "in the paint" scoring then I don't know why Smush should not be able to get to the rack with ease. True Tony Parker is faster and quicker than Smush(not by much), but Smush is taller, stronger, and more athletic. It's not like he can't finish when he goes to the basket, he just doesn't do it often enough(Go to the basket that is). His penetration would open up the whole Laker offense. Smush could get 6-7 assists a game in addition to his 18 or so points by kicking out to open teamates. Kobe would still get double-teamed but maybe not as aggressively because of another threat. Lamaar not having to try and be the seocnd-coming of Scottie Pip, could happily contribute his 15/9/5 or maybe a touch more, without the mental stress of trying to be a 20/12/8 guy. Kwame would be around the basket for the only thing he's good at offensively, uncontested two-handed dunks. The entire team would benefit greatly if just ONE guy took a stand. Kobe respects aggressive teamates. I think he would embrace a "go to the hole"Smush.

Lamaar is who he's going to be....he's been in the league, what, seven or 8 years now. He may get a little better, but he won't change his "unselfish to a fault" game.

If Smush starts playing a little less "Grim", and gets some more "Reaper" in his game consistantly.....The Lakers could get to the WCF.

Yes, the WCF.

really. no drugs.

The speed between the Parker's is not comparable. I think you are on drugs . Not by much? Give me a break. Tony is arguably the fastest. Wanna know who's faster than Smush? I can give you 20+ players. And don't ask me, because it's pointless and assinine. When Parker drives, why the hell would teams double him off of Kobe? Double off others? Whose gonna make shots?
ncaugnit
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject:

tgf5 wrote:
ncaugnit wrote:

Yes, the WCF.

really. no drugs.

The speed between the Parker's is not comparable. I think you are on drugs . Not by much? Give me a break. Tony is arguably the fastest. Wanna know who's faster than Smush? I can give you 20+ players. And don't ask me, because it's pointless and assinine. When Parker drives, why the hell would teams double him off of Kobe? Double off others? Whose gonna make shots?

Not Just speed but quickness. Smush is very quick when going to the hole and that's why I made the TP comparison. Tony is not as athletic as Smush IMO, but he is of course a better ballplayer. One reason is his aggressiveness. Tony does not have a consistant jumpshot by any stretch of the imagination, or a 3-ball. He lives off of getting to the bucket. Smush could do do a similar thing. Smush doesn't have a problem getting to the bucket, he just doesn't choose to go enough. And noone is going to double Smush off of Kobe, that's just crackish. What I said was "Kobe would still get double-teamed but maybe not as aggressively because of another threat". Because of his ability to penetrate, that other threat could very well Smush.....If he would just be more aggressive.

Church.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject:

ncaugnit wrote:
Not Just speed but quickness. Smush is very quick when going to the hole and that's why I made the TP comparison. Tony is not as athletic as Smush IMO, but he is of course a better ballplayer. One reason is his aggressiveness. Tony does not have a consistant jumpshot by any stretch of the imagination, or a 3-ball. He live off of getting to the bucket. Smush could do do a similar thing. Smush doesn't have a problem getting to the bucket, he just doesn't choose to go enough. And noone is going to double Smush off of Kobe, that's just crackish. What I said was "Kobe would still get double-teamed but maybe not as aggressively because of another threat". Because of his ability to penetrate, that other threat could very well Smush.....If he would just be more aggressive.

Smush is quick, but Tony's small size allows him to get through cracks and holes to get to the hoop with ease with both quickness AND speed. Most guards in the NBA are quick. But Tony Parker quick? Nah. Tony Parker is a bad 3 point shooter, but he has gotten so much better at the midrange shooter which is why if you close out on him, he'll blow by you and get the layup.
ncaugnit
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject:

tgf5 wrote:
ncaugnit wrote:
Not Just speed but quickness. Smush is very quick when going to the hole and that's why I made the TP comparison. Tony is not as athletic as Smush IMO, but he is of course a better ballplayer. One reason is his aggressiveness. Tony does not have a consistant jumpshot by any stretch of the imagination, or a 3-ball. He live off of getting to the bucket. Smush could do do a similar thing. Smush doesn't have a problem getting to the bucket, he just doesn't choose to go enough. And noone is going to double Smush off of Kobe, that's just crackish. What I said was "Kobe would still get double-teamed but maybe not as aggressively because of another threat". Because of his ability to penetrate, that other threat could very well Smush.....If he would just be more aggressive.

Smush is quick, but Tony's small size allows him to get through cracks and holes to get to the hoop with ease with both quickness AND speed. Most guards in the NBA are quick. But Tony Parker quick? Nah. Tony Parker is a bad 3 point shooter, but he has gotten so much better at the midrange shooter which is why if you close out on him, he'll blow by you and get the layup.

The reason TP's midrange game has improved, is because people play off him because they fear his penetration. Smush CAN get to the cup whenever he wants IMO, it's just a question of aggression. Smush plays too laid back to me consistantly. In the games when he decides to be aggressive early, he is doing it all, going to the rack, hitting the three, etc. When he is scoring his defense imroves(like many players) I don't know if he's scared of Kobe or Phil or what, but I think his entire game and the Lakers overall would be better if he penetrated 8-10 times a game.
showtime1308
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Smush needs to improve the D. He started off ok but now he is getting torched. Sasha is ok but he fouls too darn much, especially in critical situations. Also for a supposed sharpshooter he is shooting in the mid-30's. Energy is good but basketball iq stinks.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The reason TP's midrange game has improved, is because people play off him because they fear his penetration.

EXACTLY. Because he is so quick they fear him. That shows you right there why Smush is not as fast or dangerous as Tony.

Quote:
Smush CAN get to the cup whenever he wants IMO, it's just a question of aggression. Smush plays too laid back to me consistantly. In the games when he decides to be aggressive early, he is doing it all, going to the rack, hitting the three, etc.

Easier said than done. If everyone was aggressive, anyone can get to the rack, assuming your statement is true. If Kevin Ollie was aggressive he would just dominate as well as Tony Parker right?

Quote:
When he is scoring his defense imroves(like many players) I don't know if he's scared of Kobe or Phil or what, but I think his entire game and the Lakers overall would be better if he penetrated 8-10 times a game.

When Smush drives, he's gonna get rejected and get no love from the refs because he's developmental league material.
twoface723
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Mihm or Kwame have no business starting either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Shapecity
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Parker plays with a guy named Tim Duncan. Playing with Timmy Robot makes all the difference.
Walter Sobchak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Smush has no business starting

uberzev wrote:
He has the second worst defensive rating of any starting PG on a playoff team. He's even worse than Sucky was last year.

Start Devean and let Smush anchor the second unit.

What's his rating after he takes off his headband?

Just a reminder folks: "a lot" is two words. So is "no one".
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Vlade wrote:
Dear Lanny,

Can't say I agree with you on this one... I guess your feelings for Sasha are similar to your feelings for Luke!

Sasha does expend more energy on the defensive end than Smush, and is a better full court press defender. In the half court, they are about equal (which isn't necessarily good!). At this point in their careers I would say they shoul both be bench players, but I think that Sasha has more potential: a better shooting stroke and better court vision. Though he seems smaller than Smush, he is taller, and in a couple years he should fill out more, making him a stronger defender.

All that said, I agree that Sasha should not start right now. Unfortunately, neither should Smush!

Cheers,
Vlade

Hi Vlade!

Yeah, I hear you but the reality is Sasha may be trying harder on defense, but he is offensively challenged and I am not so sure about his better shooting stroke. 36% from the floor doesn't instill a great deal of confidence compared to 46% from the floor for Smush.

Smush is a good scorer, Sasha is a very marginal scorer. Smush has excellent athletic ability, Sasha does not.

I agree with CorkyT's point that Smush is doing too much overplaying and taking bad angles on defense. A lot of his mistakes are easily correctable as they are more a matter of bad positioning and poor technique instead of getting abused on physical ability.

Sasha can try as hard as he wants, but his physical limitations make his contributions inconsistent and limited at best. Smush can be a 16, 7, 5 type of player (pts, boards, assists) if he sets his mind to it and either applies proper defensive technique or gets coached better on the defensive end. Sasha is never going to even put up the numbers in the league on percentage or ppg that Smush is already putting up, even with his mistakes.

Lanny,

You make a good point about their current shooting percentages, but I do think that Sasha has more upside, long term. It just seems that he has a better feel for the flow of the game, and for the triangle offense. Smush is more athletic to be sure, but his lack of intensity and his poor defensive fundamentals make me question how much he can really improve. In truth, I think both are projects, which is why we need a more seasoned player to start ahead of them. Then a healthy competition for the back-up spot could help both players improve, while also reducing the pressure on them.

With the rumors that Charlotte is willing to move Brevin Knight, I wonder if we should make a move for him? Not sure if he would be a good fit for us or not, but we could certainly use a guy who can "facilitate" the offense w/o facilitating points for the other team through turnovers!
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject:

twoface723 wrote:
Mihm or Kwame have no business starting either.

Chris Mimh is a good solid center
CorkyTomjanovich
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject:

mike_kb wrote:
CorkyTomjanovich wrote:
mike_kb wrote:
Smush playing patented-Chucky defense is extremely disturbing. With him playing such lazy defense, we are really better off with a matador like Chucky who can at least nail the 3-ball consistently. We have been giving up over 100 points since January. Disturbing.

Chucky is pure garbage. Pure. Smush is far far better. Compare the tapes from last year and this year. This is an improved team and the big reason is because of the holes plugged at 1 and 4. Smush for Sucky, and Kwame at 4 instead of Odom.

This team gets good once Smush tightens up the perimeter, if he can, and Kwame gets it going.

Chucky garbage? I wonder why Jerry West picked him up. I guess he sees something different.
As much as I hated Chucky's non-existence defense, Smush is duplicating him to my own disbelief. I agree that Smush has the ability to become a good defender, but alas, it's the same old story of being enamored with the P word. We see flashes of his brilliance of pressuring the ballhandler with his long arms and racking up steals on some nights.

Our defense is better this year because of Kwame at the 4, Smush has very little to do with it.

Maybe he picked him up because he was dirt cheap and they needed a PG because of injuries. Ever think of that? Chucky was garbage for this team as a starter because he opened the gate on D every night. Smush is a pretty solid help defender and there is plenty of evidence of this every single game. Chucky can do one thing, jack it up, thats it.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Vlade wrote:

With the rumors that Charlotte is willing to move Brevin Knight, I wonder if we should make a move for him? Not sure if he would be a good fit for us or not, but we could certainly use a guy who can "facilitate" the offense w/o facilitating points for the other team through turnovers!

I made the point several times over the summer that Brevin Knight is exactly the kind of guy who is realistic that they should go after. Great assist to turnover ratio, pretty good on the ball defender and will run the offense.

Don't know what it would take to get him now, but he would be a solid addition to the team, no doubt about it.
NoMoreGame7s
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
He is still a better defensive option than Chucky.

That's like saying someone is a better option at the free-throw line than Shaq.
40ptmachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
He is still a better defensive option than Chucky.

what a great achievement !!!!!!!!!!
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Smush is a young player, who is starting significant numbers of games for the first time. Who would you start? Sasha?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: