Keep the "Core" together
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Funkee wrote:
Yeah, we had such a great season so we definitely must keep the core together.
Another lottery year? No problem with Funkee.

Thank you.
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Sky wrote:
Endure - No Phil Jackson coached team has ever made a deadline trade. Because he values a team's collective progress up the triangle learning curve above everything else. Banking on a deadline deal with Phil involved in personnel decisions? Good luck.

Sky that is a valid point.
One thing i guess we could consider is that those teams always were in playoff contention or still a contender.

What if he was coaching a lottery bound (or close too) team? (which is a possiblity if we dont make significant changes this summer)

Triangle learning curve wont mean crap if they are positioning themselves for a lottery pick again.
Travis Bickle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Funkee wrote:

Fallout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject:

This is not even the 'core'. These are pieces gotten from the Shaq trade, so the team is not balanced yet. Anyone could see that. These are not final pieces by any stretch. I like Butler, but I like him better as a trade bait.

Rest assured that there will be some changes. If Mitch doesn't do any changes this summer, I'm on the Mitch bashing bandwagon.

If I had to call the current batch of Lakers a 'core' it would be just KB and LO. But even LO is tradable on the right conditions.
Endure 12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Endure - No Phil Jackson coached team has ever made a deadline trade. Because he values a team's collective progress up the triangle learning curve above everything else. Banking on a deadline deal with Phil involved in personnel decisions? Good luck.

Good point. So the likely hood of using Brian Grant as an expiring K is out of the question? If so they might aswell buy him out now.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: I Guess the Previous core was better

Travis Bickle wrote:
Funkee wrote:

Since they didn't go to the lottery. NEWSFLASH-they were swept by Utah and SA in the playoffs. All I am saying is that the teams that contend year after year keeps a certain core of players together. Some add pieces. (See Detroit with Sheed last year and Horry with SA). I am not saying stay put with the current roster. If there is a deal out there that put us closer to contention, then by all means, hook it up. I just don't want a short fix, but something that can benefit our superstar as he enters his prime.
CorkyTomjanovich
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject:

We can keep Butler and try to bring in scraps at the 1 and the 4. Everyone is happy! Problem is we get to the 2nd round of the playoffs if we are lucky. Kobe is the 2, Odom is the 3, Butler is out. He gets moved in a deal to bring in a 4 and who knows what we can do next season.

This has to be done.
Kobina returns
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject:

I think many people here underestimate the value of Butler. If you remember, at the ending of the season he went on a scoring spree and all facets of his game improved. He had games where he scored 24pts 5rebs and 5 ass and play great. I believe he will carry it on to this season and be a needed 20ppg scorer for the Lakers. His defense is improving as well. He looks like he's reaching his full potential and I would be awfully upset if he became an all star under another team.
manu2kobe
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject:

i dont see what the use is for butler. odom is a sf. kobe is a sg/sf. he should be used to trade for good young point guard. like kirk hinrich
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject:

bambam wrote:
Sky wrote:

Sky that is a valid point.
One thing i guess we could consider is that those teams always were in playoff contention or still a contender.

What if he was coaching a lottery bound (or close too) team? (which is a possiblity if we dont make significant changes this summer)

Triangle learning curve wont mean crap if they are positioning themselves for a lottery pick again.

and other things to consider for a potential lottery team are contracts that would expire worthless at the trading deadline if not moved in some way, shape, or form.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Caron is a SG/SF...

We want an impact BIG...

The cardinal rule is to NOT trade BIG for small...

To get what we wanted, we would have to find a team with one of these profiles:

1) Lots of quality BIGs and need backcourt/wing help...
2) Rebuilding...need young, cheap talent...
3) Disgruntled star that has leverage and a desire to play for LA
4) Talented roster but IDIOT GM...
5) Team that DOESN'T have a grudge against LAL...

That's not likely...

If we get an offer that we can't refuse, trade him or anybody else...
If we get a BS offer, suck it up and look to trade the expiring contracts at a later date...
X56
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject:

While keeping a core per se is a good idea, I am not sure that you can get to the gold at the end of the rainbow with Kobe, LO, Butler and Mihm as your core. Also either LO, Butler, Mihm or a combination of the three plus others are our trading assets necessary to fill the needs of the team.
just my 2cents.
Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject:

I Love Caron's Heart. We need a lot more of that kind of personality. A big reason I love the Turiaf pick. But for the right trade ONLY KOBE IS UNTOUCHABLE.
kareemKobe
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Fisher, Harper and Shaw in the championship years were not quick point guards by any stretch of the imagination. I remember Kobe locking down Iverson in the final not our "true" point guard.

Also remember the opponents "true" point guard would need to cover Caron or Kobe in the post.

I side with keeping the core and trading the trash.

We also should keep Grant as next year he becomes a major trade asset with his expiring 15M contract even though Buss would have to pay more in luxury tax. I also think Grant can still contribute as he has been a solid player except for last year.
Charles
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject:

Endure 12 wrote:
Atleast keep the core together for one more year under a stable coach. If it doesn't work then look to trade, but until then keep them together.
The problem with that is, Butler loses his trade value next season because he will be off his rookie contract.
swift eagle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Caron should not be a starter to this team. Unless something has changed in his playmaking ability where he suddenly became a quality point guard who can keep up with the likes of nash, parker, bibby, etc, he is not fit to start. phil is so high with lamar playing the point forward position, kobe plays best as sg. Caron would be great coming from the bench, but he is more valuable to a trade for our needs- a quality pg and a shotblocking- rebounding pf. imho the core of this team as of now is kobe, lamar, turiaf and bynum.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject:

Revisiting an old thread here. I consider our "core" to be Kobe, Mihm, Odom, Kwame, Bynum, Parker / Sasha and Cook. In that core we have tradeable pieces to use to get help for this team immediately. Bolded are the two untouchables. We know that this team is underachieving this year and that most Laker fans are impatient (including me). But if these 8 players were to stay together, and we add a few other pieces, I think this team will be better for it right now. I believe we are a veteran PG and a legit shotblocker away (no diss to Mihm -- he is just too foul proned to have a sustained impact). The pieces are there physically and with more time and seasoning together we could be back where LA needs to be and that is being contenders again...
40ptmachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject:

Why bring this up ?
Serious NBA Fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject:

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: