Free Agent Signings . . .

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker_Gerry
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Free Agent Signings . . .

Since it looks like Kupcake and Co. won't be pulling off any deals before the trading deadline, perhaps we should be looking at what will be available at the end of this season. Two names, that seem attainable within a reasonable amount of money, in the upcoming Free Agent market are Al Harrington and Chris Wilcox. Al can be the complimentary scorer that this team needs for now and can be utilized as a 6th man. I believe Wilcox is what the Lakers want out of Kwame Brown. Hard nosed. Banger. A super athlete with a decent game who can finish. Fortunately for us, the Clippers won't bother trying to retain him this off-season, they don't seem to give him the chance. We should definitely sign him and promise him the starting power forward position at least for next year just in case Turiaff doesn't pan out.

So here would be the potential outlook for next season's line-up:

Kobe
Smush
Mihm
Wilcox
Odom

With Harrington, Bynum, and Turiaff coming off the bench.

Now, for the 2007 off-season, the Lakers have really got to be pushing for Chris Bosh . . . This guy is the next coming of Kevin Garnett. Let's hope and pray he opts for free agency after next season. With the money the Lakers will be freeing up from Brian Grant and Kwame Brown's contract, they can make this happen.

Now, imagine this line-up for 2007-2008

Kobe
Smush
Bynum
Odom
Bosh

With a bench of Mihm, Harrington, Wilcox, and Turriaf. Not bad huh!

Next thing would be to hope that Shaun Livingston opts for free agency in the summer of 2008 as well!

As absurd as this all may sound, with a little bit of luck, this line-up is definitely attainable.
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject:

we are over the cap...
Laker_Gerry
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Keep in mind the 8 million dollars coming off the books next season with departure of George and Slava. I would defenitely offer Kwame Brown and our Miami pick right now for Al Harrington. The Hawks are going to lose him anyway might as well receive something.
AutoShackMotorSports
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Keep in mind the 8 million dollars coming off the books next season with departure of George and Slava. I would defenitely offer Kwame Brown and our Miami pick right now for Al Harrington. The Hawks are going to lose him anyway might as well receive something.

How about the contract of Brian Grant coming off the books? I would say that's more worth than George and Slava's contracts combined.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Free Agent Signings . . .

School is in session.

Laker_Gerry wrote:
Since it looks like Kupchak and Co. won't be pulling off any deals before the trading deadline, perhaps we should be looking at what will be available at the end of this season. Two names, that seem attainable within a reasonable amount of money, in the upcoming Free Agent market are Al Harrington and Chris Wilcox.

Neither is attainable.

Harrington is making nearly as much as Odom right now. He's going to be looking for similar money (in the neighborhood of $10 million/year). Given guys like Caron and Simmons got around $9 million, that sounds reasonable for Harrington.

So, where exactly do you propose the $10 million in cap space materializes from?

As for Wilcox, sure, we can have him for the MLE probably. Problem is, he'll want more than a 1 year MLE deal. Mitch is driven by Insanity-2007, so he won't offer a 4-5 year MLE to Wilcox. So other team will. Hence, no Wilcox.

Quote:
So here would be the potential outlook for next season's line-up:

Kobe
Smush
Mihm
Wilcox
Odom

With Harrington, Bynum, and Turiaff coming off the bench.

In an alternate universe maybe.

Quote:
Now, for the 2007 off-season, the Lakers have really got to be pushing for Chris Bosh . . .

Push away. Toronto is going to resign him.

Quote:
Now, imagine this line-up for 2007-2008

Kobe
Smush
Bynum
Odom
Bosh

With a bench of Mihm, Harrington, Wilcox, and Turriaf. Not bad huh!

Next thing would be to hope that Shaun Livingston opts for free agency in the summer of 2008 as well!

As absurd as this all may sound, with a little bit of luck, this line-up is definitely attainable.

Where is all this money coming from btw? You paid Harrington $10 million, Wilcox about 5, max for Bosh (what 14?), max for Livingston, max for Kobe, near max for Odom, have to max out Bynum when his rookie K is up....Buss inherit a few billion recently?
Laker_Gerry
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject:

Al Harrington's salary:
http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/salaries/playerdetail.aspx?lname=H&player=160

Not exactly Lamar Odom money is it . . .

And is everyone really conviced Chris Bosh is going to stay with Toronto? Please. Perhaps signing both Harrington and Wilcox may be too much, but I think Al can be had for about 8-9 million per year as long as it is a long term deal, say 5-6 years.

To answer: How about the contract of Brian Grant coming off the books? I would say that's more worth than George and Slava's contracts combined. Brian Grant's contract: http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/salaries/playerdetail.aspx?lname=G&player=147
. . . Doesn't come off the books until after next season.
Laker_Gerry
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject:

For better or for worse, Odom's already signed, sealed, and delivered:

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/salaries/playerdetail.aspx?lname=O&player=290
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Harrington's not making LO money now, but he'll be asking for a lot of dough with his next contract - we're not going to pay him that and I don't think we should. He's an overrated tweener. Don't get me wrong, he's good, but not worth the near max contract he'll be asking for. And no way is he going to want to be anyone's sixth man.

I know a lot of people aren't optimistic about Bosh, but I think he can escape Toronto. If you were him, would you want to stay? Toronto has not shown any indication they will be able to field a winning team in the next decade, even if they finally did fire Babcock. Sure, money talks the loudest, Toronto can pay him the most. But he wouldn't be the first NBA player to tell his team he isn't going to re-sign with them so they better work a sign-and-trade or lose him for nothing.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject:

one problem i have. as much as i like wilcox. why is it that he doesn't show up every night? so therefore, i dont need a new guy with a ton of ability they may or may not show up. no thanks.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Gerry wrote:
For better or for worse, Odom's already signed, sealed, and delivered:

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/salaries/playerdetail.aspx?lname=O&player=290

i dont get the signed sealed delivered part
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Um, the reason for the 2007 plan is to get money for that time. And right now, does it look like we have the money to sign a player like Harrington? Even if he enters free agency does it really seem like he wants to sign a 1 year deal? (Assuming we stick to the plan).
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers will have the MLE next Summer. That is usually good enough to get a solid player, but not a budding star. If the 2007 plan stands, the Lakers will be looking for a rental.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Gerry wrote:

No offense to you, but you're looking at this through rose colored glasses. The Hawks have already been offered more than what you're suggesting for Al and they've turned it down. In fact, Indiana was dying to trade Artest for Harrington, but the Hawks started playing well and didn't want to move him. They're actually thinking about re-signing him this off-season, though I doubt he stays there.

He will NOT be had for cheap. He will be out of our price range, no doubt about it.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject:

I'm really not an Odom hater at all, so don't take this post the wrong way. I think all options should be looked at, and the only genuine untouchable player is Kobe. If the Lakers strike a smooth deal with a guy like Wilcox, and give him a multi-year starting at about the 5 mil. MLE, you could regroup the roster. You'd deal one of your big men in a package to get a PG, and try and resign George for another year at SF. Then, though his value could be low, maybe someone overvalues Odom. If a team out east (NY?) looks at Odom's Miami days as an east PF, maybe someone gives a better than average player with an expiring deal and picks.

I say all that to say this, Lamar Odom is not standing in the way of a somewhat possible 2K7 plan. Right now his contract is, but if he is dealt (even for not much in return), you'd have a few young players around Kobe, and another shot to sign a max guy (if any are out there), or make a few signings like Cleveland/Indy did with Marshall/Jaskav..whatever. I'm not saying do this, but it is an option.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Free agents this summer will be:

Ben Wallace
Al Harrington
Jason Terry
Vlad Radmanovic
Peja Stojacovic
Nene (Restricted)
Mike James (player option)
Bobby Jackson
Joel Pryzbilla
Speedy Claxton
Sam Cassell
Bonzi Wells
Michael Olowokandi
Drew Gooden
Nazr Mohammed
Tim Thomas
Keith Van Horn
Matt Harpring
Chris Wilcox (Restricted)
Lorenzen Wright
Trevor Ariza (Restricted)
Melvin Ely (Restricted)
Chucky Atkins
Marcus Banks
Reggie Evans
Flip Murray
John Salmons (Restricted)

Fairly slim pickings, especially when you look at our needs. I'd love to get Jason Terry who could play point for us. He'd be a great #2 scorer, and wouldn't have to play a traditional point guard role in the triangle. Dallas probably wants to promote Devin Harris, so might let him walk or at least trade him. Unfortunately, he'll probably be too pricey.

Mike James is a decent option, and could be traded soon. Him and Terry are really the only two realistic #2 scoring options I see on this list. Harrington is too, but he'll definitely be too pricey.

I've always liked Gooden even though he's a bit undersized and a space cadet. Seems like he always tries hard and is a good athelete who has pulled back on his scoring to fit in with the rest of the cleveland guys.

Wilcox or Ely would be interesting and probably cheap enough if we could get them.

Salmons is interesting, especially in what he's doing with AI out, but we already have too many wingmen and I think they want to re-sign him.

Having Flip Murray in here would be like Chucky Atkins part II. No defense, but he could score a ton.

Any other ideas?
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:

Ben Wallace
Al Harrington
Jason Terry
Vlad Radmanovic
Peja Stojacovic
Nene (Restricted)
Bobby Jackson
Joel Pryzbilla
Speedy Claxton
Sam Cassell
Bonzi Wells
Michael Olowokandi
Drew Gooden
Nazr Mohammed
Tim Thomas
Keith Van Horn
Matt Harpring
Lorenzen Wright
Melvin Ely (Restricted)
Chucky Atkins
Marcus Banks
Reggie Evans
Flip Murray

Fairly slim pickings, especially when you look at our needs. I'd love to get Jason Terry who could play point for us. He'd be a great #2 scorer, and wouldn't have to play a traditional point guard role in the triangle. Dallas probably wants to promote Devin Harris, so might let him walk or at least trade him. Unfortunately, he'll probably be too pricey.

Mike James is a decent option, and could be traded soon. Him and Terry are really the only two realistic #2 scoring options I see on this list. Harrington is too, but he'll definitely be too pricey.

I've always liked Gooden even though he's a bit undersized and a space cadet. Seems like he always tries hard and is a good athelete who has pulled back on his scoring to fit in with the rest of the cleveland guys.

Wilcox or Ely would be interesting and probably cheap enough if we could get them.

Salmons is interesting, especially in what he's doing with AI out, but we already have too many wingmen and I think they want to re-sign him.

Having Flip Murray in here would be like Chucky Atkins part II. No defense, but he could score a ton.

Any other ideas?

I think Mike James will stay in Toronto. The reason Toronto traded Rose was to get cap space to sign James.

Jason Terry would be awesome, not afraid to take it to the hole and is dagerous from 3. I think he would be too pricy though as well.

There's a few good free agents... but most will probably be picked up by teams with more money... hopefully we can get at least another impact player.
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject:

tgf5 wrote:
Socks wrote:

Ben Wallace
Al Harrington
Jason Terry
Vlad Radmanovic
Peja Stojacovic
Nene (Restricted)
Bobby Jackson
Joel Pryzbilla
Speedy Claxton
Sam Cassell
Bonzi Wells
Michael Olowokandi
Drew Gooden
Nazr Mohammed
Tim Thomas
Keith Van Horn
Matt Harpring
Lorenzen Wright
Melvin Ely (Restricted)
Chucky Atkins
Marcus Banks
Reggie Evans
Flip Murray

Any other ideas?

I think Mike James will stay in Toronto. The reason Toronto traded Rose was to get cap space to sign James.

Jason Terry would be awesome, not afraid to take it to the hole and is dagerous from 3. I think he would be too pricy though as well.

There's a few good free agents... but most will probably be picked up by teams with more money... hopefully we can get at least another impact player.

WHAT DO WE HAVE THE MLE OF 5MIL TO OFFER OR WHAT??
NOODLESTYLE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Mike James and Ben Wallace would do wonders for our team.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject:

if this were the class err the players we were waiting on. Kup should be absolutely hurt. aretest is better than 99% of them
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Gerry wrote:
Al Harrington's salary:
http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/salaries/playerdetail.aspx?lname=H&player=160

Not exactly Lamar Odom money is it . . .

And is everyone really conviced Chris Bosh is going to stay with Toronto? Please. Perhaps signing both Harrington and Wilcox may be too much, but I think Al can be had for about 8-9 million per year as long as it is a long term deal, say 5-6 years.

To answer: How about the contract of Brian Grant coming off the books? I would say that's more worth than George and Slava's contracts combined. Brian Grant's contract: http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/salaries/playerdetail.aspx?lname=G&player=147
. . . Doesn't come off the books until after next season.

Laker Gerry,

You should re-read RG 73's post. The Lakers cannot sign anybody for 8-10 million next year (unless they execute a sign-and-trade). They only have the MLE next year. Such is the cap.

Cheers,
Vlade
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: