Can we get Brevin Knight?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Can we get Brevin Knight?

Hell be a great point guard initiator with Odom out and all. Just judging by his oncourt demeanor, him and kobe seemed to get along everytime they play gainst each other. Hes a smart vetran with excellent playmaking skills. He has a year left with a team option in 08 which fits for us. We gave them some solid pieces already(Rush and JJ)...they could do us a favor and give us one back.

With Wallace being out all the time, they could use an extra small froward on the reserve...George + Miami's first for Brevin Knight.

Quote:
ESPN - Still at a stage in its infancy in which management can make such goodwill gestures without affecting the future, Charlotte has publicly promised point guard Brevin Knight that it won't trade him somewhere without Knight's consent, like the Bobcats did last season with Steve Smith before sending Smith to Miami.

However ...

With rookie Raymond Felton looking increasingly competent playing next to Knight, Charlotte might be unable to resist parting with the veteran before the Feb. 23 trading deadline, lest anything happens to start decreasing Knight's value after a solid season and a half with the expansionists.

At a salary of less than $4-plus million this season and the next two seasons, Knight holds appeal to teams looking for reasonably priced know-how at the point. With Charlotte's season in ruins anyway -- with Emeka Okafor expected to miss another five to seven weeks and the Bobcats carrying an injured list as long as anyone's -- dealing Knight during the next three weeks makes more sense as Felton progresses. [READ]

LINK

Last edited by KobeButler on Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Funny you brought this up. Matt Money Smith was just talking about how nice Brevin would look in P&G!
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Can we get Brevin Knight?

KobeButler wrote:
Hell be a great point guard initiator with Odom out and all. Just judging by his oncourt demeanor, him and kobe seemed to get along everytime they play gainst each other. Hes a smart vetran with excellent playmaking skills. He has a year left with a team option in 08 which fits for us. We gave them some solid pieces already(Rush and JJ)...they could do us a favor and give us one back.

With Wallace being out all the time, they could use an extra small froward on the reserve...George + Miami's first for Brevin Knight.

Quote:
ESPN - Still at a stage in its infancy in which management can make such goodwill gestures without affecting the future, Charlotte has publicly promised point guard Brevin Knight that it won't trade him somewhere without Knight's consent, like the Bobcats did last season with Steve Smith before sending Smith to Miami.

However ...

With rookie Raymond Felton looking increasingly competent playing next to Knight, Charlotte might be unable to resist parting with the veteran before the Feb. 23 trading deadline, lest anything happens to start decreasing Knight's value after a solid season and a half with the expansionists.

At a salary of less than $4-plus million this season and the next two seasons, Knight holds appeal to teams looking for reasonably priced know-how at the point. With Charlotte's season in ruins anyway -- with Emeka Okafor expected to miss another five to seven weeks and the Bobcats carrying an injured list as long as anyone's -- dealing Knight during the next three weeks makes more sense as Felton progresses. [READ]

LINK

KB you do remember the game 2 seasons ago when Kobe and Brevin got into it and Kobe called him a little guy and couldn't hear him when he was mouthing off to him. As for their SF depth, they already have Anderson, Bogans, Jones, and Robinson, plus Wallace when he comes back. So I think that's the last thing they want.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Can we get Brevin Knight?

tgf5 wrote:

KB you do remember the game 2 seasons ago when Kobe and Brevin got into it and Kobe called him a little guy and couldn't hear him when he was mouthing off to him. As for their SF depth, they already have Anderson, Bogans, Jones, and Robinson, plus Wallace when he comes back. So I think that's the last thing they want.

thats what i mean..they both share the same competiveness and for that I think they respect each other. After the game, they were both smiling at each other. The next game, they were both giving high fives and daps.

As for their depth, I really dont know who Anderson is. Bogans primary position is the 2 guard with Robinson backing him up. Jones is starting now. And as I said, this would work considering Wallace is always out for long peroids of times. Plus George expires next year so they can spend the money on keeping Ely and they get an extra first rounder to add to their young team.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Can we get Brevin Knight?

KobeButler wrote:
tgf5 wrote:

thats what i mean..they both share the same competiveness and for that I think they respect each other. After the game, they were both smiling at each other. The next game, they were both giving high fives and daps.

As for their depth, I really dont know who Anderson is. Bogans primary position is the 2 guard with Robinson backing him up. Jones is starting now. And as I said, this would work considering Wallace is always out for long peroids of times. Plus George expires next year so they can spend the money on keeping Ely and they get an extra first rounder to add to their young team.

He's a good initiator, and excellent anticipation. The only thing that concerns me is if Phil wants a small PG.
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject:

The thing is, I would think that they would want more than George and a pick for him. He is one of the top PG's in the league, in terms of assists and steals. My guess is that they would either want a young prospect, or a more valuable draft pick.

It's possible Cook and a pick would be more attractive to them... or maybe even Smush, who's surprise play this year may mean that he is over-valued right now.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Even if we got Knight, this still won't fix our biggest problem. Though it is a start. (Problems being another scorer and shooter).
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject:

Vlade wrote:
The thing is, I would think that they would want more than George and a pick for him. He is one of the top PG's in the league, in terms of assists and steals. My guess is that they would either want a young prospect, or a more valuable draft pick.

It's possible Cook and a pick would be more attractive to them... or maybe even Smush, who's surprise play this year may mean that he is over-valued right now.

thats true. I could see Larry Brown going gaga for him. He really wanted him this summer and they have better pieces to part with.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject:

Our pieces suck...
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Brevin has the top A/TO ratio in the league, and he's in the top 3 or 4 for assists and steals. The guy is good, no doubt, and IMO very underrated, but I wonder how good he'd be in the triangle. He doesn't have much of an outside shot (3pt) does he?
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject:

i dont see him taking much 3 pointers..he does have a decent mid range shot.
straylight
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Brevin is great, but he is not triangle friendly.

I'd still trade george and a 2nd for him. Flip him for a better fit. Charlotte still wants him to mentor felton though, and coulf get more for him anyway.

-stray

`That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,' said the Cat.
drzucchini
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Can't shoot, too small.
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject:

I'd hope the Lakers would do this... do you guys think that Charlotte would do this if we threw in the Miami 1st?

L.A. Lakers Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Brian Cook
6-9 PF from Illinois
6.9 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 0.9 apg in 17.6 minutes

Stanislav Medvedenko
6-10 PF from Ukraine (Foreign)
1.0 ppg, 0.0 rpg, 0.5 apg in 3.5 minutes
Incoming

Brevin Knight
5-10 PG from Stanford
12.2 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 8.3 apg in 31.9 minutes
Change in team outlook: +4.3 ppg, +0.2 rpg, and +6.9 apg.

Charlotte Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Brevin Knight
5-10 PG from Stanford
12.2 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 8.3 apg in 31.9 minutes
Incoming

Brian Cook
6-9 PF from Illinois
6.9 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 0.9 apg in 17.6 minutes

Stanislav Medvedenko
6-10 PF from Ukraine (Foreign)
1.0 ppg, 0.0 rpg, 0.5 apg in 3.5 minutes
Change in team outlook: -4.3 ppg, -0.2 rpg, and -6.9 apg.

Successful Scenario
Due to L.A. Lakers being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. L.A. Lakers had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Trade ID
Every trade made by fans is allocated a unique Trade ID which you can share with friends and fellow basketball fans to allow them to see your trade scenario. The Trade ID for this scenario is 2908768.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject:

But why would Charlotte want Cook and Medvedenko with Okafor and Ely?
lakersboxershorts
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject:

Brevin Knight = Upgraded Version of BJ Armstrong

Totally triangle friendly.

BK > Stevie

BK and KB actually makes sense
jmac78
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject:

drzucchini wrote:
Can't shoot, too small.

Are you saying he can't shott because he's too small? What about Earl Boykins?
stojan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:45 am    Post subject:

hes anice player but maybe not the best traingle fit but hey if people think d.goerge is good enough to get the trade done then id gladly do it.

"I don't have the first clue who he is talking about, because all I worry about is Jerome."
de4golf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Brevin Knight

Lakers Management has a narrow physical definition of what they want when going after players.

Therefore, Brevin does not fit into their definition of what is needed for their vaunted triangle offense.

The Lakers have not done well in recent trades, which in essence is they haven't managed their manpower.

Maybe they are afraid to take any chances, and are waiting for the sure thing. Most of the sure things want a lot of money, and the Lakers have no cap space.
Can we chalk it up to just a run of bad luck? Or do we have inept managemet in charge of player personnel? You can decide.
Therefore, no trades for about two or three years will occur, unless key management personnel are changed.
straylight
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject:

lakersboxershorts wrote:
Brevin Knight = Upgraded Version of BJ Armstrong

Totally triangle friendly.

BK > Stevie

BK and KB actually makes sense

He can't shoot from outside at all (84 3 attempts in 10 years of the NBA, 0.167 career average from 3). That is a no-no on a triangle team, especially one with Kobe Bryant.

What have been the biggest problems offensively of the last couple games?

1)No Odom so Kobe has to have the ball in his hands facilitating against traps and double teams, leading to ...

2)Once Kobe does pass the ball out of the double team, noone can hit a shot.

I like Brevin's game, I think he is a great player. Hell, he'd make this team better (depending on what we give up for him). But he is nowhere near ideal for the triangle. He helps with problem #1 big time, but not problem #2 (which would still be a problem). How many 3's does smush take in a game? Odom, the initiator/facilitator, is not a great 3pt shooter, which hurts the team and the offense as the defense sag off him, but at least he can take and hit a shot occasionally.

-stray

`That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,' said the Cat.
dgrynch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject:

What about God Shammgod? He taught Kobe the crossover in 1994 and played point guard on the team with Austin Croshere during the Providence college Elite Eight run in 1997.

He was the two-time MVP of an overseas league (location escapes me right now) and he is dying to get another shot at the NBA. Artest swore that he and Stephen Marbury were the top two point guards out of New York City back in 1995.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: