Devin Green

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Devin Green

I didn't follow the summer league and training camp too much. So what did the coaching staff and management see in Devin Green to keep him? Just want to know since we haven't seen him on the court much.
kups
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject:

Scouting report posted by Mike ( a t ) LG:

Name: Devin Green
Player comparison: Jeryl Sasser

Size:
1. Height – 6’7”
2. Wingspan – Guestimated; 6’9”+
3. Weight - 205
4. Body Fat – N/A

Athleticism:
1. Lateral movement – Good lateral movement. Not great, but with a combination of his length and energy, it makes him a solid defender.
2. Initial quickness - Average quickness. Not one to blow by players one on one.
3. Top speed – Average.
4. Vertical leap – Average. Haven't really seen him explode to the hoop. Doesn't finish with authority.
5. Reflexes – Quick. Quick hands. Lots of tipped passes. Pick and roll defense and reacting well to it. Loose ball? He's been there more than Turiaf.
6. Strength – Below average. Does need to bulk up.
7. Conditioning – Never looks winded despite all the high energy play and hustle.
8. Footwork – Average. Doesn't do anything fancy. Doesn't create well off the dribble unless it's in semi-transition or two put the defense at a comprimised position. Even then, it's a striaght dribble.
9. Balance – Very good. Squares up well. Never fades.

Skill Level:
1. Offense
• Perimeter Play
• Dribble penetration – As I said, average. Needs a screen to attack the paint, but does a great job of drawing in the defense and giving up the ball to Bynum/Turiaf for a dunk.
• Post play – N/A
• Off-the-ball – Good footwork off the ball. A bit lost at times. Finds open spots and drifts to it, but could be more deliberate and more decisive about his timing within the triangle.
• Short game (0’-7’) – Finishes in the paint with soft shots.
• Midrange game (8’-18’) - Midrange shot needs a lot of work. Rarely hits.
• Long range (19’-23'9" or longer) – Needs work. He's among the most inconsistent shooters of the team.

2. Defense
• Man to man defense
Position – Very solid. Kept up well with strong lateral quickness. Fights screen and roll situations. Gets burned at times but recovers well.
Anticipation – Great. Reacts well to the ball. In a sense, has a nose for it.
• Off-the-ball defense
Position – Solid. Didn’t get beat by backdoor cuts. Rarely late on rotations. Strong team defender considering the level of competition.
Anticipation – Solid ball-denial.
• Team defense
Position - Solid
Anticipation – N/A

Rebounding
1. Offensive
• Box-out – N/A
• Hustle – Excellent. If there's a free lane, he'll charge the paint among the bigs.
• Energy level – Excellent. Really, he has more energy than Turiaf, makes less foul-prone mistakes, and stays on the floor longer.
• Position – Scrambles from the perimeter to dive into the paint for offensive rebounds.
2. Defensive
• Box-out – Doesn’t box out.
• Hustle – Hustles well after loose balls.
• Energy level –Average. Nose for the ball is prevalent when the ball is on the rim for him to chase.
• Position – Usually out of position for rebounding.

Intangibles
• Leadership – N/A
• Attitude – Good attitude. High effort all over the floor.
• Work Ethic – Took a summer camp to help improve his game. It shows in his energy level and intensity.
• Competitiveness – Quiet demeanor, but never stops trying.
• Unselfishness – Good. Rarely takes bad shots on the floor. Steps up bigmen well in pick and roll and pick and slip situations.
• Toughness – Strong competitor on both ends of the floor.
• Mental – N/A
• Physical – Decent frame. Could really use more strength. Barely looks bigger than Michael Cooper.

Summary: Should really play internationally instead of the NBDL. International coaches emphasize guard skills, and working on his perimeter shooting would helps his cause 2-fold. Polishing his handle would be great too, though he's not turnover prone. Passing ability is slightly above average. Can't throw the post pass well. Not always decisive passing in the triangle and sometimes out of positions, but does a great job of picking out his spots and making the proper play.

link: http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=4706
#2 Lonzo
#28 Derrick White, Jordan Bell, Deonte Burton
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject:

Interesting to re-read that scouting report...seems like what we've seen from him...not bad on defense but disappears on offense...seems like he's playing scared, but then which rookie isn't...I don't think they needed to keep him...I'd rather have the roster spot available to pick up waived players to fill a need, etc.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject:

I think they've kept him around because he's one of the few newbies to really pick up on the offense quickly.
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
I think they've kept him around because he's one of the few newbies to really pick up on the offense quickly.

hmmm...pick up on the offense meaning knowing where to stand? Because he can't and doesn't score...at all.
lakers1969
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject:

karlmalonefan wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

hmmm...pick up on the offense meaning knowing where to stand? Because he can't and doesn't score...at all.

He is rookie, he was doing fine in the Knicks game. give him some minutes and he will be better than Puke.
4OnTheFloor
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject:

kups wrote:
Scouting report posted by Mike (@) LG:

Who????
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject:

lakers1969 wrote:
karlmalonefan wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

He is rookie, he was doing fine in the Knicks game. give him some minutes and he will be better than Puke.
well, that won't be too hard...
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject:

4OnTheFloor wrote:
kups wrote:
Scouting report posted by Mike (@) LG:

Who????
Seriously, that's all you need to know, right there...
orwell
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:

While we traded away Jumaine Jones to make more room on the roster?!
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject:

orwell wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

While we traded away Jumaine Jones to make more room on the roster?!
Word! You nailed it right there, orwell! Yikes!
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Jumaine Jones is only doing that good cuz he's on the sucky Bobcats, the same goes for the types of Kareem Rush, Keith Bogans, Melvin Ely....
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject:

What??!? Are you seriously saying that trading JJ so we could have a roster space for Devin Green was a smart move??? You've GOT to be kidding me!
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Devin Green has a place on this team. He's one of my favorite players on the team. A great system guy, but has the athleticism to play run-n-gun. Once Devin works on his jumpshot, as I'm sure he will, people will begin to realize how good he really is within the triangle. He has the necessary triple-threat skills to become a starter within the triangle, eventually. Not anytime soon due to the lack of a consistent shot, but knows how to read the D and make the necessary cuts and passes.

He's a very good prospect for the triangle offense.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Wow....just wow...
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject:

I wish him well. He hasn't shown much yet.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject:

When watching guys like Devin play, don't watch to see how many points he scores. Watch the little things that he does. He makes the appropriate cuts within the offense. He passes to the open man, usually AFTER drawing a second defender on a drive. If he sees that the post is open, he'll run straight to it and fill up that space in the triangle.

He knows how to play and has a spot on this Lakers team in the future. Just a bit timid at the moment.

But watch the little things, not the scoring.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Panthas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject:

If he could train himself to be an elite defender he could really find himself starting on just about any roster. A guy with his talents focused on shutting guys down, could be a huge asset for us.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: