Does Kareems coaching really help?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocks
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Does Kareems coaching really help?

I think theres no question about it. Look at Mihm's game compared to last year and Bynums game looks great too. Kwames game should get better and better but WTF is wrong with his hands . Hopefully its just anxiety.
Trevacious
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately, Kareem hasn't been working with Kwame. Which is Insane. When you're as big and strong and quick as Kwame, I think you'd damn well better develop a deep post game. And there's no better teacher to show you how to play down there than Kareem.
Das
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Does Kareems coaching really help?

Rocks wrote:
I think theres no question about it. Look at Mihm's game compared to last year and Bynums game looks great too. Kwames game should get better and better but WTF is wrong with his hands . Hopefully its just anxiety.

Kwame got Volleyball players hands. He doesn't grab the ball, he spikes it.
lakers1969
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject:

I think his hands are small. I saw it once of the road games even my wife notice it.
Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Kwame can never be a back to the basket C. But he can excel as a Karl Malone PF type.
I was thinking that, stay with me here, Odom could be lethal w/ Kareem's instruction. Those long strides and long body could kill w/ a skyhook against opposing SF's. If they put PF's on him then he could just attack them off the dribble.
Too bad they'll both be traded this summer for KG. Oh well.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Kwame doesn't come to KAJ for advice or tips. This comes from the man himself.

Says Kwame sees himself as a face up player and not a back to the basket guy.

Mihm and Bynum's play should speak for itself. They are showing post moves and improvement throughout this season.

Mihm's numbers have increased each month and well Bynum always looks better each month.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject:

No one can help Kwame guys let's face it this is who he is Phil can't help him & more importantly neither could Kareem they can show him some moves but as far as improving stat's i don't think so.
kells1220
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject:

I seriously hope he was joking about that. Just compare that tidbit with Kobe Bryant. Kobe has always wanted to perfect his all around game, that's like saying that he doesn't want to develope his jumpshot because he just drives to the rim. You have to be versatile. Come on Kwame just because you think your a face up player, which is unbelievable because hes not very good offensively at all, learning some post up moves from Kareem is very beneficial. I've liked what I've seen from Mihm and Bynum so far.
Das
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject:

Someone should hypnotize Kwame and tell him that he should be better than Amare and Dwight Howard.
Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Kareem can't really help Kwame. They're apples and oranges. Kwame can't hold the ball in one hand long enough to get a skyhook off. Sad but true.
Kwame's only hope is to become a face-up Karl Malone type of player.

Malone didn't have huge hands either (Stockton did).
But he perfected certain skills that produced 35,000+ points (automatic jump-shot, catch and shoot ability, FT stroke and great ability to get to the line, passing ability in the offense, mean streak, knack for offensive rebounds and subsequent put-backs/FTs, freakish athletic ability/agility for man his size/strength, supreme pick and pop/pick and roll, didn't miss lay-ups).
All of these are characteristics that Kwame can easily attain because he's already got the foundation. He just needs to shoot thousands of jump-shots (15-19 ft. both face-up and catch/shoot), ft's, and catch and shoot lay-ups around the basket to improve his touch and force fouls. He's not an explode from under the rim dunker like Shat (neither was Malone).
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Smel Counts wrote:
Kareem can't really help Kwame.

Well if he wanted help, Kareem could, in fact, help.

Quote:
They're apples and oranges.

No, Kareem is one of the best players ever at every level of play and has an incredible knowledge of the game. Doesn't matter if he and Kwame have different strengths. Kareem could help Kwame. And Odom for that matter. And Cook. But those guys need to seek the master's help.

Quote:
Kwame can't hold the ball in one hand long enough to get a skyhook off. Sad but true.

You are well aware Kareem has many more moves besides a skyhook, right? There are other ways to shoot the ball and Kareem knows them. Kwame needs to do drills to improve his hands. He can improve if he put forth the effort.

Quote:
Kwame's only hope is to become a face-up Karl Malone type of player.

He could start by at least using those elbows of his.

Quote:
Malone didn't have huge hands either (Stockton did).

Malone always caught passes. So to be like Malone Kwame has to work on his hands. Over and over and over again.

Quote:
But he perfected certain skills that produced 35,000+ points (automatic jump-shot, catch and shoot ability, FT stroke and great ability to get to the line, passing ability in the offense, mean streak, knack for offensive rebounds and subsequent put-backs/FTs, freakish athletic ability/agility for man his size/strength, supreme pick and pop/pick and roll, didn't miss lay-ups).
All of these are characteristics that Kwame can easily attain because he's already got the foundation.

His jump shot isn't automatic. He can't catch and shoot because he can't catch. His FT stroke is awful and he can't get to the line because he can't dribble or do anything with the ball but lose it. His passing isn't too hot. He doesn't have a mean streak. No knack for put backs. Misses every lay up. So basically he's big, strong and athletic. That's where the comparison ends.

Quote:
He just needs to shoot thousands of jump-shots (15-19 ft. both face-up and catch/shoot), ft's, and catch and shoot lay-ups around the basket to improve his touch and force fouls. He's not an explode from under the rim dunker like Shat (neither was Malone).

Easier said than done. He should be doing this now. No word that he has been. The only thing going for him this season is that he's not pouting or complaining, has showed up to practice, and does what is asked of him by the coaching staff (which has set the bar pretty low). The desire to be the "beast" simply isn't there.
4 Pointer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Kwame hasn't shown a consistent J to face up all the time.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject:

If Kareem gets Mihm and Bynum playing well, I'll be very happy. He does seem to think Kwame is making some progress too.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject:

It's kinda sad that the best thing we can keep saying about kwame's improvement is that "at least he hasn't hurt us with his attitude".

I don't understand it either. Why not work with Cap? What else is he working on that's taking up all his time? If he's spending time on his face up game, what's improving there?
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Kwame seems to lose focus. He can play great then turn around and make a dumb move. I hope one of these days he wakes up and develops a killer instinct and consistency.
LkrsOvrMia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Trevacious wrote:
Unfortunately, Kareem hasn't been working with Kwame. Which is Insane. When you're as big and strong and quick as Kwame, I think you'd damn well better develop a deep post game. And there's no better teacher to show you how to play down there than Kareem.

It's known Kwame works with him very little because he (Kwame) feels he is a face-up player.

However, I totally agree he should be spending every waking hour with Kareem!!!!!!!

The fact someone even questions whether or not Kareem has had an affect is beyond me.

Go Lakers!

Go Lakers!
Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject:

My point was that Kareem has really helped Bynum and Mihm because they are almost exclusively back to the basket centers (like Kareem was-Apples if you will).
They also all have huge hands which helps a person who shoots hook shots. (Yes, I did watch Kareem play hundreds of games since the early 70's, especially once he came to the Lakers). How many times do you remember Kareem dunking w/ two hands?
Even his dunks were hook shots.
He did have a very nice turnaround jumper to keep defenders honest and he used it extremely well, but it developed from a back to the basket positon.
Kareem's passes from the post were often one-handed because his hands were so huge and his arms were so long.
Kwame can't do that. Nor can he finger roll as well as Kareem (aided by the no-dunk rule in his college career) because his arms and fingers are so much shorter and he has very little control of the ball (another skill that he must refine w/ hours of practice).

It seems like Kwame must have just dunked in practice and/or played a lot on a short rim because he has no touch on close shots (Both Shat and Elden had similar problems, but for different reasons).

Also like Shat, Kwame has no left hand. He does however have good fundamentals and release on his mid-range jumper and FT stroke. (Shat never has and never will-partly because of his huge hands).

Yes, Kwame can have some success backing his man down, but very often he loses the ball when he spins, and when he doesn't his rate of speed causes an out of control fling towards the basket that often misses everything but the backboard. I'm sure you're familiar with this.

Unfortunately it will most likely happen long after his Laker stay is over, but Kwame's only chance to become a very good player is to model his game after the Mailman (an orange). That's the best chance for him to succeed.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Does Kareems coaching really help?

Rocks wrote:

Kareem's influence couldn't hurt the bigs unless they all of sudden decide to make Kung Fu movies.
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Smel Counts wrote:
My point was that Kareem has really helped Bynum and Mihm because they are almost exclusively back to the basket centers (like Kareem was-Apples if you will).
They also all have huge hands which helps a person who shoots hook shots. (Yes, I did watch Kareem play hundreds of games since the early 70's, especially once he came to the Lakers). How many times do you remember Kareem dunking w/ two hands?
Even his dunks were hook shots.
He did have a very nice turnaround jumper to keep defenders honest and he used it extremely well, but it developed from a back to the basket positon.
Kareem's passes from the post were often one-handed because his hands were so huge and his arms were so long.
Kwame can't do that. Nor can he finger roll as well as Kareem (aided by the no-dunk rule in his college career) because his arms and fingers are so much shorter and he has very little control of the ball (another skill that he must refine w/ hours of practice).

It seems like Kwame must have just dunked in practice and/or played a lot on a short rim because he has no touch on close shots (Both Shat and Elden had similar problems, but for different reasons).

Also like Shat, Kwame has no left hand. He does however have good fundamentals and release on his mid-range jumper and FT stroke. (Shat never has and never will-partly because of his huge hands).

Yes, Kwame can have some success backing his man down, but very often he loses the ball when he spins, and when he doesn't his rate of speed causes an out of control fling towards the basket that often misses everything but the backboard. I'm sure you're familiar with this.

Unfortunately it will most likely happen long after his Laker stay is over, but Kwame's only chance to become a very good player is to model his game after the Mailman (an orange). That's the best chance for him to succeed.

I will assume, from your post, that you haven't played basketball. If you had, you'd realize that one doesn't need huge hands to do any of the things you pointed out. The size of Kwame's hands is not the issue: even PJ said that he's compared his hands to Kwame's and that they're rough;y the same size. Another well-known "small hands" big is Rasheed Wallace and he plays pretty well on both sides of the ball. BTW, his back-to-the-basket game is all-star caliber.

Kwame's hands are bad either because he hasn't put in sufficient reps year-round to get a feel for the ball in different situations, or because he has some psychological hang-up. The physical ability is there. When he goes up strong with two hands, he can dunk as well as any big. Question is: why doesn't he do that EVERY TIME? That's not a small-hands issue.He definitely should be working with Jabbar and if i were coaching, you can be sure that I'd have KAJ tutoring him every free minute availale. Kwame, perhaps even more than Bynum, would benefit from Jabbar's tutelage. And Kwame, rather than modeling his game after some other player, should take it apart and find out what he does best. As far as I can see, his game is most efficient and unstoppable when he seals his man, receives the ball in the paint, and goes up strong, either directly or with a little juke. In some ways, it's not far off of what Shaq does best. Kwame has that kind of power. If he can supplement that with a mid-range game, so much the better. But his base is his power, and for that he needs to know the back-to-the-basket game.

SGH
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: