If we were unbiased fans, would we think the officiating is fair overall?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject:

Narigon wrote:
I think they are playing about as well as their talent level, thanks Meeatch.

The ref thing is a crutch that has been played out so much that we can expect with every loss, a thread will be created.

The Showtime Lakers would just go out and get stops and baskets whenever they needed them most. They would simply take away the decisions of the refs by just controlling the game with their supreme balance. That lack of balance is why this current team has such a hard go of it. When KBB doesn't go off for 50+ then they will have a hard time winning, it's a catch-22 though because for him to get that 50, he has to take too many shots, so others don't get touches. Sometimes that's bad, but at other times, it's good.

Again, they are playing about as well as their talent level, a picture perfect inconsistent and what sucks, is that it shows up when it's not needed.

Well, at least we know how the folks in san Antonio feel about the officiating of Laker games...
vkewalra
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject:

Averaging over the whole league I can't say that refereeing leans unfairly to certain teams. The refereeing over all is awful, but it is consistently awful in its inconsistency (if that makes any sense). I imagine on the average their stupidity causes each team about the same amount of damage per game (although there is probably a rather large standard deviation). Some teams like the Pistons can take more of a beating from the refs than other teams. Anyway, this is what I would say if I was trying hard to be unbiased and politically correct.

I do however feel that there are certain referees out there that have an agenda (Crawford) or are just completely out of control (Javie). With that in mind I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of rule where teams are allowed to pick a couple of refs they don't want to see referee them again. That would almost certainly put Javie out of a job, since his insanity has affected so many teams at some point in the past.

I'll say that amongst all the major sports in the US basketball is the toughest to referee, it is one of the fastest and most contact adverse (at least per the rules) of the sports.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject:

Refs have not costed us a game.I dont care how many times the Mavs went to the line.
heineken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject:

Words can not describe how horrible the officiating was last night. Did it cost us the game? No. Was it down right irritating? Yes. I am not going to try to justify the officiating saying the calls even themselves out either. I am not blaming any of the Lakers current problems on the NBA officiating. However, I will say that the state of the NBA officiating is pathetic.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: If we were unbiased fans, would we think the officiating is fair overall?

I believe the officiating in sports in general has many flaws. Check out the recent superbowl for a good example. It's a given that officals make mistakes, we're not talking about honest mistakes here. I believe the officiating last night was biased, especially after Kobe got a technical. Let's face it, refs are human, and after Kobe shouted "it's about f'n time", they got pissed. I've seen too many games where the Lakers were making a come back only to have their momentum reversed with unbelievable officiating, and I'm talking about the ones where Stu Lance and Joel Myers can't help but to comment on them.

I'd like to see the officials show some form of accountability to the fans. They say the officials review every game they officiate, I'd like the NBA to implements a policy of video taping this review process and making it available online to the fans. I think the fans deserve to know what an official has to say about the fact that a video shows him watching a foul happen, and he doesn't call it, or worse yet blows his whistle in anticipation of a foul!

Bottom line is, if the league is going to show any respectability, the fans deserve to know why the officials call it the way they do.

Rick
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: