Can We Please Get a PG?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Can We Please Get a PG?

The Laker's bigs are coming. This year look for Mihm to be back from injury shortly and Turiaf will show Jackson that he's ready. Cook can atleast shoot and rebound, if not defend. Next year, Bynum will be part of the rotation and will be awesome coming off the bench as a major spark for this team. And I think Turiaf also continue to show Jackson his value and be part of the rotation next year as well. Mihm stays strong and Cook improves his defense. Kwame can either get better or stay the same. I doubt Kwame can get any worse, and if Cook, Turiaf and Odom play the PF with Mihm and Bynum playing center, well we only needed Kwame to hold the fort down this year only. THANK GOD.

What the Lakers need is a starting PG. Does anyone here know what type of PG's are out there via free agency or trades with our current cap situation? I know Phil likes bigger PG's, and thats fine, but whose out there?
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject:

I'm a big Jason Terry fan. He's not a big PG, but fits everything else, would be able to guard the quick small PG's out there that are killing us - even though his defense isn't spectacular. He can hit the 3 and score at will and handle enough to initiate.

FA at the end of the year with Dallas developing Harris he might be up for grabs. Only problem is he's probably out of our price range.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Terry I have wanted since his last FA season.

The guy IMO would be an excellent fit.

But I don't see him as a MLE guy. Cuban should offer him more. If not Cuban (since they have Harris in the wings) I do think someone else will offer JT more than the MLE.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Panthas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject:

I like Mike James. I think he is exactly what this team needs to in order to actually be consistantly dangerous.
LAKERLVR
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Panthas wrote:
I like Mike James. I think he is exactly what this team needs to in order to actually be consistantly dangerous.

im pretty sure he would just end of being a scorer who took way too many shots.
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject:

I talked up Mike James alot over the summer, was hoping we could make
a move for him - but it didn't happen.

As for JT, he'd be a very solid fit for our system too.

Wolf said it right though, Cuban will likely offer him more than the MLE,
assuming he's got that kind of scratch under the cap. If not, another team
will likely do the same.

If we can get either one though, James or especially JT, I'm all for it.
LakersPimp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject:

The problem is that Phil turns every laker PG into john paxson, derek fisher....i think if he used a pg as more of a facilitator smush would play a lot better....just imagine...not every pg is used to being away from the ball/action all the time. a shooter is what the pg is...the triangle is a very frustrating offense...and it turns into sucky defense because of the frustrated players.
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject:

I think we could get Brevin Knight for either Cook or Kwame. I'd do either trade. He has no 3pt shooting skills, but the good thing is, he knows it. We would do well to take less 3's anyway. Good passer, heady player... not too big a contract.
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject:

LakersPimp wrote:
The problem is that Phil turns every laker PG into john paxson, derek fisher....i think if he used a pg as more of a facilitator smush would play a lot better....just imagine...not every pg is used to being away from the ball/action all the time. a shooter is what the pg is...the triangle is a very frustrating offense...and it turns into sucky defense because of the frustrated players.

Both Ron Harper and Brian Shaw played facilitator roles on our team.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Can We Please Get a PG?

thumpinghead wrote:
The Laker's bigs are coming. This year look for Mihm to be back from injury shortly and Turiaf will show Jackson that he's ready. Cook can atleast shoot and rebound, if not defend. Next year, Bynum will be part of the rotation and will be awesome coming off the bench as a major spark for this team. And I think Turiaf also continue to show Jackson his value and be part of the rotation next year as well. Mihm stays strong and Cook improves his defense. Kwame can either get better or stay the same. I doubt Kwame can get any worse, and if Cook, Turiaf and Odom play the PF with Mihm and Bynum playing center, well we only needed Kwame to hold the fort down this year only. THANK GOD.

What the Lakers need is a starting PG. Does anyone here know what type of PG's are out there via free agency or trades with our current cap situation? I know Phil likes bigger PG's, and thats fine, but whose out there?

Agreed. I think Smush would be better coming off the bench, but to get a quality point guard I think they may have to wait for the off-season. My personal favorite would be Kirk Hinrich but I don't think he'll be free for another season. Then there is Mike James, and I also heard Brevin Knight was on the block but he isn't that big of a guard.
LakersPimp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject:

Vlade wrote:
LakersPimp wrote:

Both Ron Harper and Brian Shaw played facilitator roles on our team.

i mean facilitator in the way brevin knight drives and kicks, or chris paul...the triangle isnt meant for pg's to penetrate. ron harper or b-shaw rarely penetrated...they passed...but because of the size and savy of the teams we had thats all they had to do. But this team isnt as imposing as those teams were...they are more athletic...quicker...so the offense should exploit our speed and quickness. its just frustrating to see players stand around...whether that is the play...or they just do it on their own...they look so disinterested during the games...thats wack.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject:

I like any of the Bulls' guards.... Ben, Kirk, and Chris... in that order although I think Kirk maybe a better fit with the Lakers...[/i]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Toronto is going to do everything possible to retain James because that means they have a better shot at keeping Bosh. If we offer him an MLE contract, they'll offer a little more and retain him. If his asking price is way above that, we can't afford him anyway.

Cuban would sooner cut off his right nut than let us sign Jason Terry. He'd give Terry a stupid contract out of spite. So even if Terry would sign for an MLE, he'll get more. Besides, with how Dallas is playing now I don't think they want to break up that team right now. Cuban will keep Terry happy.

Add in the F.O.'s unwillingness to spend the MLE this summer and Jackson's unwillingness to actually trust the offense to a real point, and, chances are we're in for another season of no floor general.

But don't let my enthusiasm dampen the mood.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
Toronto is going to do everything possible to retain James because that means they have a better shot at keeping Bosh. If we offer him an MLE contract, they'll offer a little more and retain him. If his asking price is way above that, we can't afford him anyway.

Cuban would sooner cut off his right nut than let us sign Jason Terry. He'd give Terry a stupid contract out of spite. So even if Terry would sign for an MLE, he'll get more. Besides, with how Dallas is playing now I don't think they want to break up that team right now. Cuban will keep Terry happy.

Add in the F.O.'s unwillingness to spend the MLE this summer and Jackson's unwillingness to actually trust the offense to a real point, and, chances are we're in for another season of no floor general.

But don't let my enthusiasm dampen the mood.

You are my sunshine

Good points all...unfortunately
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject:

There's nothing wrong with the triangle for PG's. Many PG's are successful in the offense, such as B.J. Armstrong and Derek Fisher. I think Kirk H would be awesome for Kobe and Phil. He might get paid though so, I don't know if 5mil is enough.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject:

I thought LO was our PG?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: