Febuary 9th: Jackson shrugs off Cuban's comments. Lakers win in Houston with Kobe and Cook leading the way.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Febuary 9th: Jackson shrugs off Cuban's comments. Lakers win in Houston with Kobe and Cook leading the way.

Jackson shrugs off Cuban's comments

HOUSTON Los Angeles Lakers coach Phil Jackson laughed off comments by Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban.
Cuban claimed on his Web log today that Jackson "must now be considered my bucket boy."

Cuban says what he wrote was "all tongue in cheek."

Last edited by Phil on Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Cuban-Jackson Feud Taken to Next Level
By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer

HOUSTON — So, wait, who owns Phil Jackson?

Dallas Maverick owner Mark Cuban answered Jackson's assertion that he intimidated referees by turning on his computer and hammering out an eight-paragraph entry on his blog entitled "I Own Phil Jackson."

Cuban scoffed at his longtime adversary and said the Laker coach "must now be considered my bucket boy."

"For whatever reason, I have gotten to Phil so completely and thoroughly that every time he comes to Dallas he has to offer unsolicited comments about me to the media," Cuban said. "I wonder if he dreams about me the nights he spends here in Dallas. OK, I don't wonder. I'm curious about it.

"How can the NBA coach with so many championship rings find me so intimidating? I really don't know."

Jackson said after the Lakers' 102-87 loss Tuesday to Dallas that referees were turned into "nervous Nellies" at Maverick home games because the billionaire owner regularly sends tapes of questionable calls to the league.

Jackson responded to Cuban's blog by saying "he's so easy to tweak" and promised to "copyright myself" so Cuban could actually own him.

Jackson also expanded his thoughts on referee intimidation.
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject:

Bryant's Nike commercial to debut Thursday night
Posted: Thursday Feb 9, 2006 12:47 AM
Free E-mail AlertsE-mail ThisPrint ThisSave ThisMost PopularRSS Aggregators

NEW YORK (AP) - Pleased with his play on the court, Nike is ready to test Kobe Bryant's ability as a salesman.

Bryant's first televised ad with the shoe company will debut during NBA programming Thursday night, more than 2 1/2 years after he signed an endorsement deal with the sneaker company in the summer of 2003. Soon after he struck the deal with Nike, Bryant was charged with sexual assault.

The ad coincides with the release of the Zoom Kobe I sneaker Saturday and seeks to capitalize on the renewed popularity of Bryant. Interest in the Los Angeles Lakers star has been the on rise this season, especially after his 81-point game last month, the second-highest total in NBA history.

"Kobe's inclusion in marketing and promotional material is an acknowledgment of his elevated level of sports performance,'' Nike said in a statement.
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject:

Lakers Glad That's Over
# They end a bad trip with a good effort against the Rockets in an 89-78 victory. Bryant (32 points, nine assists) gets help from Cook (27).

By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer

HOUSTON — The weight of a trip spinning out of control pressed down on the Lakers, who, for a change, pushed back.

Staring at the possibility of a 1-6 record since leaving Los Angeles 12 days ago, the Lakers instead turned in a notable effort, Kobe Bryant acting as distributor, Brian Cook acting again as scorer and Phil Jackson putting on a kinder, friendlier face in an 89-78 victory over the Houston Rockets on Wednesday at Toyota Center.

Just when things couldn't get worse for the Lakers, they didn't, and their longest trip of the season concluded with the end of two four-game streaks, theirs (losing) and Houston's (winning).

Bryant had 32 points, tied season bests with nine assists and no turnovers, and also tied a career high with six steals. Cook followed up a career-best 28-point effort against Dallas with 27 against the Rockets. Even Kwame Brown scored seven more points than his previous "awful" performance, to borrow Jackson's description of his scoreless game in Dallas.

The Lakers moved a game above .500 instead of dipping the other direction, and although Jackson had hoped for a 5-2 trip, 2-5 is what they got, after they led for all of nine seconds in their last three games before the Rockets fell into their arms.

"I considered telling the team that there was going to be a variety of different punishments that were coming on for them," Jackson said. "They knew that there had to be a win."
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject:

Bryant, Cook are dynamic duo
Lakers end trip with victory over Rockets
By Ross Siler, Staff Writer

Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant, center, is double-teamed by Houston Rockets' Rafer Alston, left, and Tracy McGrady in the second half of NBA basketball action on in Houston. The Lakers won 89-78.
Photo Gallery: 2/8: Lakers vs. Rockets (AP Photo/Jessica Kourkounis)
HOUSTON - There wasn't a lot left for them to salvage at the end of a seven-game trip to oblivion, but the Lakers were able to save face in their final stop at Toyota Center on Wednesday night.

If it took Kobe Bryant playing 48 minutes, if it took Phil Jackson shying away from his bench, if it took Brian Cook shooting the lights out once again, the Lakers had to have it against the Houston Rockets.

They took a step back from the brink as Bryant and Cook combined for 59 points in the Lakers' 89-78 victory, ending the trip with a 2-5 record that Jackson hoped would be flip-flopped when they set out.

The Lakers suffered four consecutive double-digit losses on the trip before righting themselves against a Rockets team that had won four straight with Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady back together.

"They knew that it had to be a win," Jackson said. "We just said that we were going to win this game regardless. I'm going to play the players that have to play to win the game. They buckled down and did the job they had to do."
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject:

Cook turns up heat
He burns Houston for 27 points and diverts attention away from Bryant in the victory.

By KEVIN DING
The Orange County Register

HOUSTON – The guy who dared to ask for Shaquille O'Neal's No. 34 in the wake of a dynasty's demolition suddenly doesn't look totally out of line.

Brian Cook took another big man's step toward evening out the Lakers' Kobe-centric offense Wednesday night, and the Lakers broke their four-game losing streak by beating the Houston Rockets, 89-78.

Cook scored 27 points to follow up a career-high 28-point breakthrough Tuesday night despite a chest cold.

The Lakers, invigorated by a solution to the constant trapping that defenses have used to blanket Kobe Bryant and drain the youthful zeal of his teammates, ended a season-long seven-game, 12-day trip buzzing around the court like Energizer bunnies.

Kwame Brown bodied up Yao Ming solidly, Devean George glued himself to a gimpy Tracy McGrady, and the Lakers' defensive rotations tightened after allowing an average of 105.4 points in the losses on the trip.
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject:

Lakers respond to threat

Lakers 89, Rockets 78: They snap a four-game skid after Jackson talks of possible punishment.

01:35 AM PST on Thursday, February 9, 2006

By BRODERICK TURNER / The Press-Enterprise

HOUSTON - There was a discussion of a punishment if the Lakers didn't win the last game of a long road trip that was shaping up as a major disappointment.
AP photo
The Lakers' Kobe Bryant, who had 32 points and nine assists, leaves the Rockets' Tracy McGrady (left) in his wake Wednesday.

Whether Lakers coach Phil Jackson would have enforced a cat-o'-nine-tails type of punishment if the Lakers had lost to the Houston Rockets on Wednesday night will never be known.

His players responded to the threat with an 89-78 victory before 18,291 at Toyota Center to finish 2-5 on the longest road trip of the season.

Kobe Bryant finished strong for the Lakers, scoring 24 of his 32 points in the second half. He got his teammates going early, handing out eight of his season-high-tying nine assists in the first half. He also tied his career high with six steals and had no turnovers in 45 minutes.

Brian Cook followed up his career-best scoring night by getting his first career double-double with 27 points and 10 rebounds. He got the Lakers off to a good start, scoring 19 in the first half.

Kwame Brown, coming off a poor performance against Dallas, scored seven points, grabbed four rebounds and did a solid defensive job on Yao Ming.
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject:

Lakers keep Rockets down
Disastrous first half ruins chance to push L.A. for 8th playoff spot

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

As the Rockets looked up enviously at that eighth playoff spot they covet and the Lakers hold, the Lakers slapped them Wednesday with a lesson the Rockets can only hope won't be their epitaph.

It's possible to come back from a sorry first half, but not terribly likely. And it's hard, much harder than the Rockets were willing to play, and requires much greater fight.

The Rockets made one good run out of the wreckage of their slow start. When that was not enough, they faded meekly away, with Los Angeles rolling to an 89-78 win that chased away the largest Toyota Center crowd this season, 18,291, midway through the fourth quarter.

The loss was so thorough and the play so uninspired that coach Jeff Van Gundy said it turned his stomach. Tracy McGrady said the loss made the four-game winning streak it ended look like the aberration.

"It's not really just inconsistency," McGrady said. "We don't know who we are. We don't know if we want to be a team that is something to be reckoned with or if we just want to run off a four-game winning streak and then lay down, and it's like 'so what,' and we go back to our old selves."
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject:

Cuban-Jackson feud is fueled by Web log
By Ross Siler, Staff Writer

HOUSTON - For $10 million or so less than Jerry Buss is paying, Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has laid claim to owning Phil Jackson.

Or so Cuban wrote in his Web log Wednesday after Jackson took the latest in a series of swipes at him, blaming the Mavericks owner for turning the referees who work games at American Airlines Center in Dallas into "nervous Nellies."

The NBA is not expected to fine Jackson for his remarks, but Cuban saw fit to fire back. And Jackson was handed a printed copy of Cuban's response by team spokesman John Black in the locker room before Wednesday's game.

"This wasn't an acquisition I proactively pursued," Cuban wrote. "There wasn't an official competition that I won, thereby confirming my dominance of his psyche. Instead Phil has initiated an ongoing commentary about me that started in his previous stint with the Lakers and was reinstated this year with his return, that proves that I own the guy."

Cuban also wrote at blogmaverick.com that "figuratively ... the coach formerly known as the Zen Master must now be considered my bucket boy" and joked about Jackson spending his nights in Dallas dreaming about him.

Now that he has a new benefactor in Cuban, Jackson was asked what he thought before Wednesday's game.

"I think we all know what's happened around the league since Mark has picked up that franchise," Jackson said. "He's hired former NBA referees to monitor the game tapes. He sends out a weekly report on the referees.
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:01 am    Post subject:

Notebook: Playing the feud

01:05 AM PST on Thursday, February 9, 2006

Broderick Turner

HOUSTON - Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban responded to comments Lakers coach Phil Jackson made after Tuesday night's Lakers loss in Dallas about the officials being afraid of Cuban.

Cuban said: "I own Phil Jackson."

Jackson and Cuban have had a running feud since Jackson first took over the Lakers in 1999, and the two were back at it Wednesday.

Cuban said that Jackson must be "considered my bucket boy."

"I wonder if he dreams about me the nights he spends here in Dallas. OK, I don't wonder. I'm curious about it," Cuban said on his Web log. "Of course, I don't truly believe that I own Phil. But that won't prevent me from walking up to him and say 'Boo' to see if he jumps, just to find out for sure."

"It's just fun to have Mark in the league," Jackson said. "He's easy to tweak."

As far as owning Jackson ...

"I'm going to copyright myself so he can have that distinction, sell them off," Jackson said.

Jackson said Cuban has done a great job marketing the Mavericks and improving their attendance but still took his shot at Cuban.

"He's hired former NBA referees to monitor the game tapes. He sends out a weekly report on the referees," Jackson said. "There's some things that Mark has done to turn it a little bit in his favor. That's good."
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:02 am    Post subject:

Cuban blog: 'I own Phil Jackson'

07:15 AM CST on Thursday, February 9, 2006

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Mark Cuban and Lakers coach Phil Jackson are sniping at each other again. After Jackson lobbed some soft criticism of referees after Tuesday's game, Cuban zinged back on his blog Wednesday, claiming that Jackson is his "bucket boy."

Under the headline, "I own Phil Jackson," Cuban said Jackson offers unsolicited comments to the media every time the Mavs and Lakers play.
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject:

Bryant, Cook make killer combo
Kobe feeds forward in 1st half, heats up in 2nd

By MOISEKAPENDA BOWER
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

Perhaps the only thing more disturbing for Lakers opponents than the sight of Kobe Bryant exploding for 50-plus points was the glimpse the Rockets caught Wednesday: Bryant lying in wait, ready to pounce at the perfect time.

Bryant beat the Rockets' double teams with ease at Toyota Center, penetrating when the opportunities arose and passing to teammates for layups or dunks.

And when the pressure came quickly, Bryant located the open man — on Wednesday, that was forward Brian Cook — for easy jumpers.

Bryant began the second half with as many assists (seven) as shots. When the Rockets began to back off to defend Cook, Bryant knew exactly what to do.

"At the start of the third quarter, I came off a screen-and-roll and I was wide open, and it kind of threw me off," Bryant said. "I said, 'Wait a minute. I'm about to start punishing these guys,' because I haven't been that wide open for like two months."

Bryant ripped off 24 second-half points in the Lakers' 89-78 victory. Cook had 19 of his 27 points before the break.

"When guys are stepping up and they're knocking down those shots, it makes my life a lot easier," said Bryant, who had a game-high 32 points and added nine assists. "Then I can just sit back in the pocket, and I can conserve my energy and rest until we need me to accelerate the game a little bit."
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: