GameFlow - Feb. 8 - You Tell Me

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PopcornMachine
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: GameFlow - Feb. 8 - You Tell Me

LA Lakers 89 Houston 78

GameFlow
BoxScore

What was the difference tonight?

Brian Cook shooting lights out for the second night in a row?
Kobe Bryant doing a little bit of everything?
Lamar Odom continuing to play hurt to lead the way rebounding?
Kwame Brown showing aggressiveness inside?
More team ball movement?
Ronny Turiaf rooting them on from the bench?
Alignment of the planets?

Whatever it was, things went right for the Lakers tonight in Houston. After playing the Rockets even in the 1st quarter, they went on a 15-5 run in the 2nd that unanswered. In that period Kobe had 6 points, 5 assists, and 2 steals to lead the way. Kwame more than held his own against Yao Ming, and scored 5 points in the paint in that 2nd quarter. Brian Cook had 19 at the half and the Lakers lead by 11.

The Rockets held their response to the second half, starting the 3rd quarter with a 24 to 10 edge. Things looked like they were slipping away as they did last night. But the Lakers regained their composure and had a response of their own, going on a 16-3 run to regain a 8-point lead going into the 4th. Kobe now focused on scoring and got 12 in the period.

An 8-0 run early in the 4th was all they then needed to put the game out of reach, leading by as much as 18. Kobe scored another 12, and finished with 32 points, 9 assists, and 6 steals. After scoring 28 last night, Brian finished with 27 tonight, hitting 11 of 18 and grabbing 10 rebounds. Most impressive was his desire to drive to the hoop when given the opportunity. And Devean George grabbed 9 rebounds, 7 offensive.

As a team, the Lakers shot much better and it seemed to be contagious. But more than that, they held Houston to just 78 points. Better defense than we have seen in a while.

Oh, and Ronny Turiaf, after cheering on his team, finally got into the first NBA game of his career. He missed his only shot in 1 minute of play at the end of the game.

I'm with COCO!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
NY_LakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject:

As much as I love Odom hustling through an injury for 12 boards and Cook's shooting, I gotta go with Kobe's passing. He had 5 assists in the second alone while we were opening up that halftime lead. Houston couldn't harrass him the way other teams have recently after that ... not without fear of his passing.
Philostrator
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject:

I think the Lakers were just determined to win, but I would have to give the most credit to Kobe as he did all the assists and points they needed.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject:

DG's had 7 of the teams 14 offensive RB's. That was huge. Next to cook and kobe he was the difference
Great One
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject:

start cook
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject:

Just_Looking wrote:
Houston couldn't harrass him the way other teams have recently after that ... not without fear of his passing.

Yes, but it wasn't just his passing. He passes plenty as it is. Tonight, the guys who were open on double teams were hitting their shots. Give credit to the teammates (especially Cook) for finally draining their open looks.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject:

Something to add about Kobe...

He showed me something tonight. We all know he can play many roles. Floor general, scorer, defender, etc. But tonight he showed that he can not only do that, but pick his spots and know when he needs to do which. In the first half, he was able to get his teammates looks and be a pest on the defensive end and the Lakers were able to build an 11-point lead. At the start of the 3rd, they came out a little flat (frustratingly unsurprising for this team) and Kobe was able to recognize that he needed to shoulder scoring duties to keep the team level. He did so by making 5 shots, kept the team in it, and the eventually picked it up so he didn't have to turn it into a monster takeover. After that, he went back into his earlier mode.

It's not the first time that he's ever done this, so I don't want to make it sound like it's some huge revelation for me, but for some reason in this game is just jumped out at me. Here they are in the second half with Kobe trying to maintain as a distributor and their lead quickly evaporates, so now it's time for "ESPN NBA KB8 for Xbox" all up on David Wesley's ass until they get the ship righted.

Oh and that behind the back no-look to Kwame for the monster And-1 two-handed dunk upside Yao's head was mighty fine. Kwame had, what, like 3 or 4 dunks tonight? Gotta love that.
WorthyTomahawk
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject:

Playing the Rockets is like playing the Knicks - a team which has a lot of weaknesses. We should beat these teams. Tonight was a sigh of relief, expecially with Mihm injured.

Playing the Mavericks on their current roll is like playing the Pistons or Spurs - just happy we didn't get blown out.

Memphis and Utah are going to be tough with Mihm out.
Hades
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject:

very informative
thanks
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: