Who Would Have Thought 6th Place Could Be So Close?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Who Would Have Thought 6th Place Could Be So Close?

After that disastrous road trip, and dropping to 8th in the playoff standings some on this board were already talking "lottery" and "tanking the season".

We're only 1 1/2 games behind 6th place Memphis who is struggling worse than we are after losing 9 of their last 13 games. We face them on Saturday when they're on the tail-end of a back-to-back.

Last edited by numero-ocho on Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject:

The truth will show itself in the second half. We are, record wise, about where we were this time last year. If we contunue to play the way we have been, we should be at 7 or 8. If we turn it up a bit in the second half, which is what a well coached young team should do with half a sesasons experience, 6 should be there for the taking.

If we have a repeat of last year, we will be a lottery team.

I think we have under achieved in the first half. I also believe we will play to our potential in the second half.

We shall see.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Who Would Have Though 6th Place Could Be So Close?

numero-ocho wrote:
After that disastrous road trip, and dropping to 8th in the playoff standings some on this board were already talking "lottery" and "tanking the season".

We're only 1 1/2 games behind 6th place Memphis who is struggling worse than we are after losing 9 of their last 13 games. We face them on Saturday when they're on the tail-end of a back-to-back.

Yep, the 6th seed is 1.5 games ahead. Then again, the lottery is 1 game behind us, with 4 teams within 3.5 games of catching us. We could just as easily catch Memphis as we can be caught by Utah. I'm not going to get my hopes up just because we beat the one team in the West that might actually have less talent than us.

If there are no more injuries and no more 4-5 game losing streaks, yeah, 6th looks doable.
wutevahung
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject:

its really weird how we will win like 9 games outa 10, and then lose 6 outa 7, n then 3 in the row, and then 5 game winning streak something like that

we can beat dallas, miami those teams, but then we lost to kings, hornets and other scrubs.

i think we under achieved too, i mean, ya our team is not that good besides kobe, but then i think its all because we lost all our win-able games...
how many times did we lose a game that we were supposed to win?
wolves game, bulls, kings, portland........ n go on
if we won those games, we would ve been like 6 games over 500, o well, i am happy as long as we make the play off n dont play the spurs!
Billy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject:

The schedule is in our favor. We will be playing 21 games at home in the final 33 games including a stretch of 4 games at the Staples to end the season. If we can hold the home court, we will eb the 6th seed.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject:

Seriously. :roll:

The part that really sucks though is that had the Lakers just cleaned up with the Bobcats and Pacers the Lakers would have the 6th seed right now. Then again considering all the close games the Lakers blew (Sac on the Road, Houston at home, Washington and Memphis at home, Chicago at home, Utah at home, New Jersey at home etc.) the Lakers could be in the running for the 2nd seed!
KB8SD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject:

I predict after saturday night we will move into the 6th seed.Memphis will be playing a second game of a back to back they play the Clips tommrow night.Also I watched memphis play the suns last night and saw that Mike Miller go injured.I dont know how bad the injury was and how long he will be out for.

Last edited by KB8SD on Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject:

Memphis is also shorthanded at PG with Atkins leading the way.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject:

WOW! After all that the Lakers are still in the hunting for the 6th seed with a major chance to overtake that position with a couple of Memphis losses and it seems reasonable! This is where they have to take care of business. They showed they couldn't do it the first time, now they have the opportunity to redeem themselves.
MrLaker83
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Who Would Have Though 6th Place Could Be So Close?

RG73 wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:

Yep, the 6th seed is 1.5 games ahead. Then again, the lottery is 1 game behind us, with 4 teams within 3.5 games of catching us. We could just as easily catch Memphis as we can be caught by Utah. I'm not going to get my hopes up just because we beat the one team in the West that might actually have less talent than us.

If there are no more injuries and no more 4-5 game losing streaks, yeah, 6th looks doable.

Uhh talent wise, the rockets have much more than we do. The only reason they have such a horrible record is because both their stars have been injured for much of the season.
Ko8e8ryant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject:

6th place = 1st round series win
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: