Why not offer Latrell Spreewell contract?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saidodeh
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Why not offer Latrell Spreewell contract?

Many teams have the luxury of not getting a good ball player available because they can be a bad influence on the team. San Antonio, Detroit, Dallas are some i can name.......The Kings, in a tight spot, cannot do that and that is why they got Artest.

I believe the Lakers do not have that luxury either. Ok, so Latrell is past his prime, but the man can play basketball. Right now a decision has to be made. I belive this current team will make the plyoffs with like 44-46 wins. Then get DESTROYED in the playoffs. Latrell has playoff experience. Latrell is a good shooter. Latrell is a clutch shooter. With Latrell, we have added depth on our team.

When Kobe is off the court getting his 4-5 minute rest, Latrell can take over as the finisher.

So he might go craIf it doesnt work out, then release him. ( its only a 1-year contract anyway)

I think Latrell is hungry to play. He made a power move without having any power. I know the man wants to comeback and make an impact. He is still a good defender.

With George, Latrell, and Kobe defending the perimeter AND shooting from outside, we will dominate the outside game.

We have seen what has happenes when Odom and Mihm were out.... and i dont wanna jynx it but i know there will probably be other key injuries for us this season. I believe Latrell can help us win a game if kobe is out for 2 weeks with a sprained ankle or somehtin. We saw what happenes with Utah..... 0-2 without Kobe..... HORRIBLE offense...

The Lakers cannot pass this up. We need depth, offense, and playoff experience. Sprewell provides all three.

I say get Latrell, somwhow trade for a Big, and battle it out in the playoffs. ( By the way, I have a feeling that Bynum will get like 15mpg in the playoffs, and will be a serviceable bigman for the Lakers)
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject:

Been there, done that. Spree didn't want to play for half the MLE, the Lakers have even less to offer now.
CrimsonLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject:

why do you want spree? he hasn't played ball in months and is a locker room cancer. Spree is overrated to boot and we'd probably LOSE more games with him on our roster than we would without.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject:

There's a reason why no GM has picked him up yet....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject:

Some here are upset that we missed out on the last locker room cancer that was on the market, and I guess Spree is the last one available.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject:

I just don't see how it could work. This team is trying to run the triangle, Spree doesn't know it. I don't think it could help them at the offensive end, on the defensive end though you're right on the money he would be a great asset.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject:

I guess were all fine with Cook leading LA as the 2nd option for the rest of the season and the playoffs... :roll:
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject:

CrimsonLaker wrote:
why do you want spree?

Maybe so we can actually have someone who can play?

Quote:
he hasn't played ball in months

He's always kept himself in exceptional condition.

Quote:
and is a locker room cancer.

The most meaningless term ever. First of all, KG disagrees, as have other teammates. If you go back to the old threads the quotes are there from former teammates as to what kind of teammate Spree is. No mention of cancer.

Hell, everyone in the media accuses Kobe of being a cancer, do they not? And we know it isn't true. But we're going to believe what the media says about another player? Right.

Quote:
Spree is overrated to boot

Who's overrating him? Most people in support of Spree have said that he can consistently give you 10-12 points, share some ball handling duties, he's a smart, veteran player, can probably play some decent defense (though certainly not as fast or athletic as he was). That's overrating?

Quote:
and we'd probably LOSE more games with him on our roster than we would without.

Totally irrational. How do you figure?
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject:

Quote:
he hasn't played ball in months

This doesn't matter for veterans. They have played basketball for so long they wouldn't miss a heartbeat, except for conditioning but that's everyone.
thumpinghead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject:

He wants money!!!! He still thinks he can get paid this season....What a guy. He doesn't care about winning, or even playing simply for the game itself...he wants money, he wants to get paid a good sum of millions, and funny thing is, i think he'll sign with the best he can get like the day before the deadline, and it wont be from us, we dont have the CASHFLOW!!!!!!!!
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject:

When we lost Profit, I'm surprised the GM hasn't made a move to replace that part of the team. Why not Spree....the Lakers were outright awesome when Profit was giving Kobe time on the bench......we have been inconsistent ever since. Where is Mitch? If not Spree, get someone who can help!!!!
Jagster
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject:

according to 570 AM the lakers offered the 1.15 mill exception but he wants all of the remainder of the MLE which the lakers will not offer
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject:

K, last I heard, we don't have an available roster spot, since devin green is such a valuable asset to this team, and besides, he didn't want to come for the money we were offering...what should we do, hold a gun to his head??? :roll:
sodapoppenski
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject:

Jagster wrote:
according to 570 AM the lakers offered the 1.15 mill exception but he wants all of the remainder of the MLE which the lakers will not offer

Well ya can't feed a family on 10's of millions of past salary, and ONLY 1.15 million more per year.

Think of the children Mitch! :roll:
aFFie
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Well, let Phil pay Spree out of his pocket. PJ owes us anyway for letting Luke play all those minutes and ruining our lives. I can't sleep at night when I see Luke out on the floor.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Nancy Reagan always said "Just Say No".....
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Walter Sobchak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Come on, you really think he can feed his family on half the MLE? :roll:

Just a reminder folks: "a lot" is two words. So is "no one".
kups
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject:

LakerEric wrote:
When we lost Profit, I'm surprised the GM hasn't made a move to replace that part of the team. Why not Spree....the Lakers were outright awesome when Profit was giving Kobe time on the bench......we have been inconsistent ever since. Where is Mitch? If not Spree, get someone who can help!!!!

In addition to this, Spree is one of those still available who has the skills to initiate the offense. No, he's not a long-term solution, but someone who can actually help us out right now with three critical aspects of this team's game: 1) as initiator when Odom rests or goes down, 2) as another scoring option, and 3) veteran presence / clutch performer which we would need if we make the playoffs. It won't necessitate waiving one of our rooks to give him a roster spot. And it certainly won't affect the young guards' (Devin Green, Wafer) development / triangle experience as they're obviously being brought along slowly just like with Bynum, so no harm there. And as RG explained, he's not a locker room cancer. We just have to keep an open mind as to what mgt. can do to improve this team.
#2 Lonzo
#28 Derrick White, Jordan Bell, Deonte Burton
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: